ImageImageImageImageImage

2014 LA Lakers Media Day & Training Camp Discussion

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,926

2014 LA Lakers Media Day & Training Camp Discussion 

Post#1 » by tugs » Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:43 am

Don't see anything posted yet. When is this?
NOODLESTYLE
Lead Assistant
And1: 828

Re: 2014 LA Lakers Media Day 

Post#2 » by NOODLESTYLE » Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:05 am

Monday - September 29th.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/TWCSportsNet/status/515600283171188736[/tweet]

Mitch had a press conference today.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ap1-Mv9vD4[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00Jq2SadnWE[/youtube]

Full transcript:

http://www.nba.com/lakers/news/140926_k ... nscription
Mirjalovic
Head Coach
And1: 1,780

Post#3 » by Mirjalovic » Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:06 am

Q: On whether he thinks the Lakers can make the playoffs:
Kupchak: Yes we can. In fact, our goal every year is the same: to win the championship.

i thought im the only one who crazy to think this team strong enough for playoff, even championship.

(dont quote me)
shawn_hemp wrote: a guy who is far worse than Robert Covington in Brandon Ingram, and a guy who is no better than TJ McConnell or Tony Wroten in D'Angelo Russell.

Sixers fans...

what would jack bauer do?
Veteran
And1: 295

Post#4 » by what would jack bauer do? » Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:41 am

I think aside from the complete lack of a one-two punch in the superstar department this is one of the deepest teams we've had in a while. So I really don't think we're as far from the playoffs as the media and the haters think. Definitely not contenders for a championship, but playoff worthy (even in the tough west).
Tiesto_Lakers
Analyst
And1: 4,154

Post#5 » by Tiesto_Lakers » Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:04 pm

If we're healthy, we should make the playoffs. Big question marks are Hill and Nash IMO...chances are high they'll miss time at some point in the season. When they're healthy, they produce big time.
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#6 » by DEEP3CL » Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:42 pm

Mirjalovic wrote:
Kupchak: Yes we can. In fact, our goal every year is the same: to win the championship.

i thought im the only one who crazy to think this team strong enough for playoff, even championship.

(dont quote me)
You're not by yourself Mirjalovic....I got ya back too. I think they can make the playoffs. Only the media is trying to psych out Laker fans. I look at the west and outside of the top 3 ( SA, OKC, LAC,) anybody else can stumble, have bad injuries etc...

Where I get pissed is when they're trying to anoint teams like Denver, Dallas, Phoenix and New Orleans as teams absolutely better than the Lakers and I just don't see it.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,812

Post#7 » by TylersLakers » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:17 am

Dallas is better, yes. Phoenix, Denver, New Orleans.. No way.
Mirjalovic
Head Coach
And1: 1,780

Post#8 » by Mirjalovic » Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:52 am

DEEP3CL wrote:
Mirjalovic wrote:

(dont quote me)
You're not by yourself Mirjalovic....I got ya back too. I think they can make the playoffs. Only the media is trying to psych out Laker fans. I look at the west and outside of the top 3 ( SA, OKC, LAC,) anybody else can stumble, have bad injuries etc...

Where I get pissed is when they're trying to anoint teams like Denver, Dallas, Phoenix and New Orleans as teams absolutely better than the Lakers and I just don't see it.

thanks

that what a thought.

what make it more funny, they also believe Utah Jazz better than us.. duh.
shawn_hemp wrote: a guy who is far worse than Robert Covington in Brandon Ingram, and a guy who is no better than TJ McConnell or Tony Wroten in D'Angelo Russell.

Sixers fans...

DEEP3CL
RealGM

Post#9 » by DEEP3CL » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:45 am

TylersLakers wrote:Dallas is better, yes. Phoenix, Denver, New Orleans.. No way.
Naw not in my opinion. They will have depth issues, yeah they have a lot of known names but Carlisle is known to play a very tight rotation. Secondly they have guys who have been known to get hurt every year. Tyson Chandler is one who won't play even 75 games. Then their lead guards are suspect, Felton, Nelson and Gal Mekel....who the hell is he ?

Dallas will have to do their best to stay away from injury. You look at this depth chart and tell me if it scares you.

http://espn.go.com/nba/team/depth/_/nam ... -mavericks

I sure as hell don't fear it.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,231

Post#10 » by crazyeights » Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:29 pm

I said this before but yeah, Dallas's PG rotation is awful.

And I think Tyson Chandler is washed up.
Tiesto_Lakers
Analyst
And1: 4,154

Post#11 » by Tiesto_Lakers » Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:58 pm

crazyeights wrote:I said this before but yeah, Dallas's PG rotation is awful.

Our roster is much more impressive than theirs.
DEEP3CL
RealGM

Post#12 » by DEEP3CL » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:36 pm

crazyeights wrote:I said this before but yeah, Dallas's PG rotation is awful.

Not only that but they'll have to play Devin Harris there to cover the weakness at that spot. But Harris can't impact the game like that anymore. And collectively their bench depth isn't that great either, I'm not worried about the Mavs.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by crazyeights » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:32 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/LakersBlog_SSR/status/516605650944536576[/tweet]
ArC_man
Veteran
And1: 910

Post#14 » by ArC_man » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:53 pm

Agreed with most people's thoughts. A lot of people in the media are way overrating the Mavs (I hear some people predicting they're coming out of the West, comon...).
ALL HAIL
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,213

Post#15 » by ALL HAIL » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:57 pm

from a July 22nd (2014) post:
ALL HAIL wrote:I'm sorry, but I love the way this team is constructed, both financially and from a chemistry/balance standpoint.

Offensively, Kobe, Lin, and Boozer may not wow anyone as 1st, 2nd, and 3rd options, but a bench of Young, Randle, and Clarkson will be the best in the league.

Throw in what I believe to be great defensive role-players in Hill, Johnson, and Davis, and you have the makings of a very solid team.

Health aside, the consistent play of Lin and Randle (offensively) are paramount to this team's success.

Defensively, Hill and Johnson need to be quite impactful as well.

If Scott can mesh these guys into a cohesive defensive unit while also patiently maximizing the offensive potential of Lin and Randle, and appreciating and utilizing his dynamic second unit (say a prayer for him and Young), I see this team as a 4 seed --- better than Phoenix, better than New Orleans, better than Houston, better than Portland, better than Dallas, better than Memphis, better than Golden State, and almost better than the Clippers.

I'm not at all afraid to say that this team will mightily exceed all ignorant expectations and make many eat crow.
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by crazyeights » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:19 pm

For those of you waiting for 4pm. Here's a great interview with Assistant Coach Jim Eyen. Trudell's a pro. I really hope he sticks around this team for a long time...wonder if he'd be any good at play-by-play.

http://www.nba.com/lakers/news/140923_jimEyen

Mike Trudell: Your relationship with Byron Scott started in 1989 when you were on assistant on Pat Riley’s staff. How did that evolve to the point that he hired you as a key part of his staff in 2014?
Eyen: The three years I spent with Byron (1989-1991) started the relationship, and a lot of years have come and gone in between. But over the years, just in coaching and playing against each other from the benches, we stayed in touch, if superficially. When he got the job here we talked, initiated by me. And Byron was really open and honest up front and said that an important part of who he was going to hire was there had to be a certain comfort level, which you can understand. The more that we talked and re-familiarized ourselves with each other, I think there was a certain comfort level that was achieved in our conversations. And I think that the root of our basketball philosophies are very similar, and maybe it has a lot to do with where we came from 20 years ago over that time. We started talking basketball, and a lot of what each other said was similar. Some with just different terminology, but some of which was rooted in the same philosophy.

MT: How would you describe the basketball philosophy that you think that you share with Byron?
Eyen: I think that in basketball it is difficult to pinpoint specifically as to what makes a team successful. However, I think that probably the similar philosophies that we engaged in had to do with the defensive side of the ball and how your offense can affect your defense and vice versa. It’s hard to pick one versus the other, but certainly there was an old school approach that I think we found ourselves thinking very similarly.

MT: The head coach and the general manager can dictate how a staff operates in different ways, with some having assistants focus on specific things and others having a more macro approach. Do you have an idea of how Coach Scott wants things to run?
Eyen: I think every staff is different and every head coach likes a particular mode, but basketball’s a little different from other sports. It’s not football where you have coordinators and you have a specific, sole responsibility. Basketball’s a little bit integrated, and I think the feeling that I get from Byron is that he would like us to be well rounded, well versed, see the entire game and certainly contribute in any area we want to – but have a particular focus as to maybe where we’re coming from in that point of view. I, over the years, have been at it a long time, and when you’re in something a long time you usually do a little bit of everything. So I have done a little bit of everything. But probably one of my strengths would be game preparation, which then leads you down the road of defense, though there’s still an offensive part to that game preparation as well. That’s probably where my focus will be.
NOODLESTYLE
Lead Assistant
And1: 828

Post#17 » by NOODLESTYLE » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:05 pm

Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#18 » by Slava » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:48 am

Kobe 9 elites

[tweet]https://twitter.com/TWCSportsNet/status/516728867827249153[/tweet]
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Laker_Kid
Starter
And1: 591

Post#19 » by Laker_Kid » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:55 am

we'll make some noise in the postseason. count me in!

Sent from my LG-D802 using RealGM Forums mobile app
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by crazyeights » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:57 am

Interesting tidbit from Jordan Hill's TWCSportsNet interview: he stopped drinking alcohol. James Worthy immediately interjected "That's why we love you, you're honest and..." cant remember the rest, but Worthy looked a little emotional there, in respect for Jordan. Then when they cut to the studio they made a few references to it, makes you think Jordan might have had a drinking problem, but great to hear he's taking care of himself.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers