ImageImageImageImageImage

Nick Young torn ligament in right thumb; Out 8 weeks.

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,298

Re: Nick Young torn ligament in right thumb; Out 8 weeks. 

Post#41 » by Dr Aki » Sat Oct 4, 2014 12:23 pm

training camp so far...

Kalidogg24
Head Coach
And1: 827

Post#42 » by Kalidogg24 » Sat Oct 4, 2014 2:27 pm

Imo I think Nick will be out 5-6 weeks tops. I know the prognosis of his thumb seems like he'll take the full predicted time frame of 8 weeks to heal but Nick is a fighter and a true hooper.

The second he gets full feeling in his thumb again he'll be shooting around. Probably miss the first week of the regular season. But I'm gonna make a bold prediction and say he'll be ready for the opener in a month :nod:
REST IN PARADISE GOAT
#TeamFlightBrothers
myersia
Analyst
And1: 788

Post#43 » by myersia » Sat Oct 4, 2014 2:39 pm

Swaggy and Kelly out. Should we be upset? Probably. Oh well I am not a huge fan of either :lol: . But I understand their value. But excited to see Clarkson get more burn. I actually think we may have better chemistry on the floor without swaggy. Hopefully no more injuries (especially to the two "older guys").
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,231

Post#44 » by crazyeights » Sat Oct 4, 2014 5:05 pm

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-lakers-rotation-nick-young-injury-20141003-story.html

When healthy, Henry may be able to serve as the backup to Johnson at small forward. Bryant is another option at the three, rotating over the course of a game with players like Ellington, Clarkson or even Lin at the two. On Friday, Lin also got some time practicing at small forward -- despite standing just 6 feet 3.

While Randle may eventually show he can play minutes at the three, he's still learning the NBA game. Scott may stick with him at power forward for some time before experimenting at another position.

Rotations tend to extend to 10-12 players through the exhibition season. Over time, Scott is going to need to settle on a rotation of eight to 10.

I like that they're not thinking of playing Randle at SF yet. Keep it simple for him so he can get his sea legs.

Lin's gonna have to carry the bench load scoring right off the bat.

Luckily Wes should be able to log big minutes at the 3, but we may not want to burn him out too soon. Might wanna sub Kobe out for Ellington and then Kobe back in to spell Wes.

Sounds like Clarkson and Randle are guaranteed solid minutes the first month of the season.

Injuries suck, but if we don't wear guys out, they can be a positive for player development.
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#45 » by DEEP3CL » Sat Oct 4, 2014 6:06 pm

In a weird way this is a blessing. We get to throw J.Clarkson to the fire sooner than we wanted to, but you can tell he's a baller. Plus wasn't this "Lakers need to get younger and more athletic", crap the stuff we was hearing for like the past 3 years or so ?

We got Jordan and Wayne to run at the 3 also. But it makes me wonder why in hell did we not give Manny Harris a shot at this camp. The boy showed he can play and do well while he was with us last season. Don't care if it's D-League or not you don't lead a league in scoring by accident.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
Little General
Sophomore
And1: 101

Post#46 » by Little General » Sat Oct 4, 2014 9:06 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Lakers/status/518499879513903104[/tweet]
BEazy
RealGM
And1: 2,483

Post#47 » by BEazy » Sat Oct 4, 2014 10:33 pm

This is hilarious we're the only team reporting injuries in freaking training camp. Our team is so fragile.

The news keeps getting better and better Nash tweaks ankle. Lol...My hopes for a healthy season have already plummeted below expectation...

Long Live The Black Mamba. Kobe Bean Bryant Laker For Life. 8/24
DEEP3CL
RealGM

Post#48 » by DEEP3CL » Sat Oct 4, 2014 11:26 pm

ScHoolBoy B wrote:This is hilarious we're the only team reporting injuries in freaking training camp. Our team is so fragile.

The news keeps getting better and better Nash tweaks ankle. Lol...My hopes for a healthy season have already plummeted below expectation...
Your're stretching it B, it's been injuries all over the league as far as what's been reported.

Secondly guys got to get over that we shouldn't get hurt, heck even in high school and college you have stuff that happens every practice. And it's the media that blows everything up, a tweak is hardly serious.

I'm just saying relax B, we'll be alright.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
BEazy
RealGM
And1: 2,483

Post#49 » by BEazy » Sun Oct 5, 2014 3:20 am

DEEP3CL wrote:
ScHoolBoy B wrote:This is hilarious we're the only team reporting injuries in freaking training camp. Our team is so fragile.

Your're stretching it B, it's been injuries all over the league as far as what's been reported.

Secondly guys got to get over that we shouldn't get hurt, heck even in high school and college you have stuff that happens every practice. And it's the media that blows everything up, a tweak is hardly serious.

I'm just say relax B, we'll be alright.

I know, I just wanted Nick Young to be our 6th man of the year. On the brightside hes not out forthe whole season. I just hope there arent anymore freak injuries in this training camp.

Long Live The Black Mamba. Kobe Bean Bryant Laker For Life. 8/24
ArC_man
Veteran
And1: 910

Post#50 » by ArC_man » Sun Oct 5, 2014 6:11 am

Nick will be fine. He'll still be able to work on his conditioning, defense, and left hand while he's out.
MAMBAEMD
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,622

Post#51 » by MAMBAEMD » Sun Oct 5, 2014 6:24 am

This changes the look of the second unit.
I don't think it necessarily increases Kobe's minutes.
It will add minutes for Wes and Julius, which I don't think is a bad thing.
The tricky part will be scoring for the second unit.
With Nick out, they'll have to be more defensive minded, and may need to slow the ball down and have a slow tempo game.
Formerly lakerRD
Mamba Venom
RealGM
And1: 580

Post#52 » by Mamba Venom » Sun Oct 5, 2014 7:07 am

Gary Vitti is working hard again. I am so sick of this injury bug the last few seasons.
Lakers are 22-3 in OT last 6 seasons:Kobe best OT closer!
laduane1
Banned User
And1: 29

Post#53 » by laduane1 » Sun Oct 5, 2014 7:27 am

There is no reason the Lakers still can not look at the waiver wire to see if there is someone out there that will help. I see the team as good, not great. We loose a 17 point scorer and everyone things it will be fine. Lets use X who is also hurt. We need to continue to look at players to help build this team. We do not want a 30 win season. If there is a player that can help, why not.
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#54 » by crazyeights » Sun Oct 5, 2014 8:36 am

Nick Young said they won't know until his surgery, but it should be 6-8 weeks. That's somewhere between mid-November through early December. Could be about 17 games.

I think we can somewhat cover that by increasing Lin, Wes, Clarkson, Ellington, and Randle's roles. X should be back around that time too. It's definitely not ideal, but hopefully it works out.

We can't lose another wing, though. That would really put a strain on things.
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,513

Post#55 » by Michael Lucky » Sun Oct 5, 2014 4:36 pm

Is Nash participating in training camp? We haven't heard any new injuries from him, so was wondering.
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,513

Post#56 » by Michael Lucky » Sun Oct 5, 2014 4:37 pm

crazyeights wrote:http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-lakers-rotation-nick-young-injury-20141003-story.html

When healthy, Henry may be able to serve as the backup to Johnson at small forward. Bryant is another option at the three, rotating over the course of a game with players like Ellington, Clarkson or even Lin at the two. On Friday, Lin also got some time practicing at small forward -- despite standing just 6 feet 3.

While Randle may eventually show he can play minutes at the three, he's still learning the NBA game. Scott may stick with him at power forward for some time before experimenting at another position.

Rotations tend to extend to 10-12 players through the exhibition season. Over time, Scott is going to need to settle on a rotation of eight to 10.

I like that they're not thinking of playing Randle at SF yet. Keep it simple for him so he can get his sea legs.

Lin's gonna have to carry the bench load scoring right off the bat.

Luckily Wes should be able to log big minutes at the 3, but we may not want to burn him out too soon. Might wanna sub Kobe out for Ellington and then Kobe back in to spell Wes.

Sounds like Clarkson and Randle are guaranteed solid minutes the first month of the season.

Injuries suck, but if we don't wear guys out, they can be a positive for player development.

doesn't make sense to play X at the three with Kobe on the court. Kobe should really be moving to the three anyways.
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#57 » by crazyeights » Sun Oct 5, 2014 5:14 pm

The post you quoted doesn't mention X haha, but a few points about X:

1) Kobe can't play the whole game, so Swaggy's minutes gotta come from somewhere
2) The wing positions are interchangeable offensively on our team
3) the importance of Xavier's return and Kobe playing SF aren't mutually exclusive: X could allow Kobe to play his most efficient position (SF) as X can play his (SG)
4) him returning would offer bench scoring to help fill that need from the wing

As for your Nash Q, yeah he's been one of Scott's best players in camp. He stepped on Randle's foot yesterday so he sat out as a precaution, but he's in great shape and hopes his nerve problem has passed. We'll see if that holds up, but so far so good. Should start for us on Monday.
DEEP3CL
RealGM

Post#58 » by DEEP3CL » Sun Oct 5, 2014 7:41 pm

laduane1 wrote:There is no reason the Lakers still can not look at the waiver wire to see if there is someone out there that will help. I see the team as good, not great. We loose a 17 point scorer and everyone things it will be fine. Lets use X who is also hurt. We need to continue to look at players to help build this team. We do not want a 30 win season. If there is a player that can help, why not.
Guys are saying we'll be alright well because we will, regardless is Nick averages 17 ppg or not. It's two ways to look at it, one is we probably stand the chance of being a little more efficient in terms of the balance of the offense. We all know Nick is a gunner, he's gonna chase points so it was gonna be up to Byron and Kobe to reign him in some. Secondly we have more than enough guys who can pick up his slack in scoring, like Byron has already mentioned a bunch of times....offense won't be our problem.

If anything it changes the dynamic of how our second unit will play, this means more touches for Julius in the post which will give us that much more effectiveness in terms of playing inside out. And if Ellington can make this squad I see his defense ( which is better than Nick's now ) and his 3 point shooting fitting in fine.

And if by some stretch we get off to a decent start, when Nick comes back it automatically forces him to join in the teams style of play of what has been established. It will let him know from the jump this isn't last season's free run of shots and no D under MDA's tenure.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

The Laker Kid
General Manager
And1: 6,491

Post#59 » by The Laker Kid » Sun Oct 5, 2014 10:39 pm

That's what the thumb gets for refusing to call him Daddy Swag
MaxwellSmart wrote:I hate to say this, but Go Lakers....
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#60 » by crazyeights » Mon Oct 6, 2014 11:29 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Mike_Bresnahan/status/519265906954756097[/tweet]

Return to Los Angeles Lakers