ImageImageImageImageImage

Preseason Game 3: LA Lakers vs GS Warriors 10/12 6:30 PM PT

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

PKABOOICU
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,128

Re: Preseason Game 3: LA Lakers vs GS Warriors 10/12 6:30 PM 

Post#181 » by PKABOOICU » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:33 am

ardee wrote:This is where Blake would've helped... a LOT. He was basically as good as Nash last season at running our offense through penetration and opening up the defense.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using RealGM Forums mobile app

your SSOL team is pretty badass with nash+rice+dirk
RollingWave
Sixth Man
And1: 727

Post#182 » by RollingWave » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:13 am

Defensively the switch is simply horrendous is there any communication at all? any half decent pick and roll resulted in either a wide open 3 or a strong attack on the basket, there was hardly one play where the team contained the P&R well. Now I know it's hard with Curry, but come on, it's not like they were hitting shots with face in their hand, they were so open that your surprised they only hit 50 and not 80%. That more than anything else is killing the team. I can forgive most other things as you can't coach athleticism and they maybe tired from practice today etc, but there's no way you can even have an average defense without competent switch and P&R schemes

Offensively the sets are interesting from a tactical POV (there's a lot of triangle stuff in there.) but the execution and personnel is simply not there, if they're going to run plays were the bigs end up shooting jumpers so much, you MUST start Ryan Kelly and or find another big who can shoot from 3. that's just common sense. I can understand not wanting to just launch 30 3s a game, but the only thing surely worse than randomly launching 3s is to not do it at all. And look , it's not like your trading those 3s for points at the basket, the Lakers today shot more than half their shots from long 2s, even on a good night you'll barely crack 100 points doing that unless your team have Lamarcus Aldridge or Dirk.

So I guess the conclusion so far is

1. you can NOT play any minutes at all with Nash + Boozer, any and every other team will outclass you so bad athletically that nothing else matters.

2. you must run at least one game with something like Lin + Kobe + Henry + Kelly or Randle + Davis as the main lineup just to see what they can do, because that's pretty much the only lineup right now that isn't massively outclassed athletically (and theoretically consist of players who knows how to play, aka not Jordan Clarkson), Kelly especially seems like the only hope to make this team's spacing at least reasonable.
The river of time wash away all heroes
13th Man
General Manager
And1: 6,117

Post#183 » by 13th Man » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:19 am

Not a good sign that the players are feeling tired already, notably Kobe and Nash. Kobe's legs weren't there all game which affected his shot. Early judgment on Byron indicate that he may running this team into the ground with too many conditioning drills while they seem lost on the court with no identity.
TrueStoryGSW
Banned User
And1: 226

Post#184 » by TrueStoryGSW » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:20 am

Stop trolling.
EArl
RealGM
And1: 13,230

Post#185 » by EArl » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:34 pm

13th Man wrote:Not a good sign that the players are feeling tired already, notably Kobe and Nash. Kobe's legs weren't there all game which affected his shot. Early judgment on Byron indicate that he may running this team into the ground with too many conditioning drills while they seem lost on the court with no identity.

It will take time for kobe to get into game shape. The man hasnt played a real game in more than a year. You cant blame byron for it.
Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing, Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before;
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,231

Post#186 » by crazyeights » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:53 pm

EArl wrote:
13th Man wrote:Not a good sign that the players are feeling tired already, notably Kobe and Nash. Kobe's legs weren't there all game which affected his shot. Early judgment on Byron indicate that he may running this team into the ground with too many conditioning drills while they seem lost on the court with no identity.

It will take time for kobe to get into game shape. The man hasnt played a real game in more than a year. You cant blame byron for it.

No...you can. Kobe's not the only one who is tired. And he came in great shape.

Phil always said it's a marathon, not a sprint. We might have just sprinted ourselves to the lottery.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#187 » by Slava » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:02 pm

The lack of fight must be the most troubling aspect of this game. I can understand not being able to keep up with Curry and Klay, those two were playing all summer competitively with USA basketball and we have rusty vets at guard positions but getting pushed around by David Lee, Barnes and their bench just should not happen.

Wes Johnson might be the biggest lily livered **** to have played for this franchise. Not an ounce of heart in that moron.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#188 » by Kilroy » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:04 pm

DNP Lin and Davis? Was that explained earlier in the thread?
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#189 » by Slava » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:06 pm

Kilroy wrote:DNP Lin and Davis? Was that explained earlier in the thread?

Lin is injured, not sure about Davis.
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#190 » by crazyeights » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:06 pm

Price and Ellington (albeit playing in the most extreme garbage time I've seen) at least showed they were going to come out with energy, make things happen.

So many awful possessions, no movement, guys unable to set screens, people dribbling themselves into trouble, giving up 3's and dunks, not shooting 3's, not long enough to dunk :lol: what a pile of ****.

If there is a silver lining: We were missing Lin, Davis, Swaggy, Clarkson, X...5 of our top 8 players.
RealAnaylst
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#191 » by RealAnaylst » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:08 pm

Kilroy wrote:DNP Lin and Davis? Was that explained earlier in the thread?

Lin twisted his ankle Davis was healthy but Byron wanted to see what Sacre can do so sat him out today
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#192 » by crazyeights » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:27 pm

Sacre played well according to Byron. That is alarming news.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#193 » by Kilroy » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:27 pm

Well, Davis is maybe our best big out there at this point and Sacre is out worst. So there's that...

I forgot about Lin's ankle thought. Thanks.

Nash couldn't defend me at this point... Boozer probably could but just barely. So that's not a good look for us.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
ArC_man
Veteran
And1: 910

Post#194 » by ArC_man » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:36 pm

Trudell mentioned that Byron has already seen what Davis brings (so he's basically a shoe-in for a bulk of minutes). He just wants to get a look at what some of the other bigs can bring (Tyler and Sacre battling it out basically).

Now that I see what "tired Kobe" looks like, I have serious doubts whether or not we can make a playoff push come March/April.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#195 » by Slava » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:36 pm

crazyeights wrote:Sacre played well according to Byron. That is alarming news.

I really can't imagine how someone as big as that cannot grab a rebound to save his life. Draymond Green, a good 4 inches shorter than him was batting away boards over his head. This **** couldn't catch a ball thrown straight at him and for some odd reason we were posting him up like he is Pau Gasol.
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#196 » by crazyeights » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:41 pm

Kobe praised Sacre's play too. IDK, I'm beginning to think this nurturing Kobe has taken his foot off the pedal...that he's just happy to be there.
EArl
RealGM
And1: 13,230

Post#197 » by EArl » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:47 pm

crazyeights wrote:
EArl wrote:

No...you can. Kobe's not the only one who is tired. And he came in great shape.

Phil always said it's a marathon, not a sprint. We might have just sprinted ourselves to the lottery.

I'd like to think that there is a big difference between practicing and actually playing games. I think its ay to early to start blaming things on Byron. I get the part that some players are complaining about being tired, but its to early t throw the bust at Scott. Lets see how at least half of the regular season goes before we start pointing fingers at people. We Lakers fans are infamous for putting the blame on coaches especially these past couple of years.
Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing, Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before;
ArC_man
Veteran
And1: 910

Post#198 » by ArC_man » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:52 pm

Slava wrote:
crazyeights wrote:Sacre played well according to Byron. That is alarming news.

I really can't imagine how someone as big as that cannot grab a rebound to save his life. Draymond Green, a good 4 inches shorter than him was batting away boards over his head. This **** couldn't catch a ball thrown straight at him and for some odd reason we were posting him up like he is Pau Gasol.

Some bigs just can't rebound, unfortunately we have 2 of those on our team (Kelly, Sacre). At least this year we won't have to trot them out together.
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,513

Post#199 » by Michael Lucky » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:59 pm

People keep bring defense. Byron keeps bringing defense. There's just one thing wrong with this. You can preach it, you can teach it, but if you don't have the players physically capable of playing it you're going to be horrendous at it no matter how much time you focus on it.
jigga_man
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,121

Post#200 » by jigga_man » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:00 pm

It's time to experiment with Kobe at the 3 and start Ellington at the 2. There was nothing Wes did last night that was surprising if you watched him last year. He doesn't give anything besides moderately good shooting which Ellington is better at. His defense has always been average to mediocre. Seeing jogging up the court and barely getting back on D just solidifies my opinion of him.

Lin
Ellington
Kobe
Hill
Davis

with Nash, Young, Wes, and Randle being the key guys off the bench. I think that Starting 5 has the right balance on offense/defense and the bench is potent enough to be one of the better ones in the league.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers