ImageImageImageImageImage

Don't screw it Up Randle

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

Kalidogg24
Head Coach
And1: 827

Re: Don't screw it Up Randle 

Post#21 » by Kalidogg24 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:14 pm

I'd like to see Julius limit bringing the ball up court. Let the point guards set him up.
Alot of the times he's Outta control and I think if he lets our point guards set him up in the half court set he'll be better off ,throwing off his defenders.

Plus if he can develop a nice mid range bank shot it would be money, he already got enough handles and athleticism to get to the rim whenever he pleases. Adding a solid mid range game would make him unstoppable.
REST IN PARADISE GOAT
#TeamFlightBrothers
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,231

Post#22 » by crazyeights » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:43 pm

I want Randle pushing the break if he sees an opening.

If he's ever going to develop into a big time player for us, he's gotta have room to grow and make mistakes out there. That being said, Randle was definitely a different player on the defensive end and energy wise last game. If he brings it like that, no way he won't see minutes. It's the preseason, and I have no qualms with how Byron's handling him at the moment, nor do I believe the brass doesn't already have his development at the forefront of their road map for the future.

The fact that Kobe and Byron are saying things like don't **** this up proves it.

It's Randle's for the taking.

Dude is so physical and gifted that if he gets locked and and focuses that competitive fire on being a two way player, everything will fall into place. His development as a player > his average minutes. The organization can't get too cute, but they have to be smart. I'm confident they know just what to do.
DoctaJ
Sixth Man
And1: 399

Post#23 » by DoctaJ » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:09 pm

I wasn't too high on Randle at the draft but I haven't really got to see any game yet. From others it sounds like he's been good, though. Season's getting close.

Hopefully Scott can keep that balance between his development and what kind of minutes he needs.
Tonyism74
Starter
And1: 17

Post#24 » by Tonyism74 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:49 pm

I like the Boozer pickup. Randle needs to earn those minutes and it sounds as if Byron and Kobe are saying that it's Randles for the taking. Its a win win..Randle plays better, gets the minutes...he doesn't, we have a solid veteran if we should make a run for the playoffs.

That said...what I don't want to happen is Randle Kobe turning into another Kwame Jordan. Some players just aren't good at pushing the right buttons.
Yes, im posting all over again!
ROballer
General Manager
And1: 2,750

Post#25 » by ROballer » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:29 am

FREE JULIUS RANDLE

Honestly,if I ever see the Phx situation,in which Boozer got twice as many minutes,I'll go insane
I don't want to wait 20 games until y'all start calling for Boozer's head,I want to see it NOW

Split the mins NOW
Steve Nash injures his back while carrying bags

Slava wrote:I pulled a hammy while fapping. I won't make fun of Nash.
Jakay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,928

Post#26 » by Jakay » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:43 am

Julius is a big time tweener. He's so close to being a Jamison/Deng type of 3, and he's not quite big enough for some of the 4s of the league imo. Him at the 3 with a true stretch 4 would be ideal for him, because no small forward outside of LeBron is going to stop him down on the block.

But the decent handle, the decent range, fair amount of versatility, not an incapable passer... he's got a lot of being a 3 down. Don't know how he'd do chasing down the PGs and LeBrons of the league though either.
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,298

Post#27 » by Dr Aki » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:11 pm

guys will generally keep growing until they're 21. randle'll probably grow another inch or so before that time.
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,513

Post#28 » by Michael Lucky » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:25 pm

Dr Aki wrote:guys will generally keep growing until they're 21. randle'll probably grow another inch or so before that time.

he isn't a tweener, not even sure where this comes from. Might as well call Kevin Love a tweener too then.
The Prodigy
Starter
And1: 469

Post#29 » by The Prodigy » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:10 pm

Randle is a face up power forward and that's OK. I don't know why some people want to turn him into something he's not. He is not a small forward and he is not a traditional, back-to-the basket power forward. He's a guy who will use his quickness, ball handling and strength to attack the basket from the mid post.
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,513

Post#30 » by Michael Lucky » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:06 pm

The Prodigy wrote:Randle is a face up power forward and that's OK. I don't know why some people want to turn him into something he's not. He is not a small forward and he is not a traditional, back-to-the basket power forward. He's a guy who will use his quickness, ball handling and strength to attack the basket from the mid post.

He's actually quite comfortable with his back to the basket if you saw him play in UK. He actually had a couple of his buckets come from posting up last night. He's just so versatile offensively.
ColdBlooded
Rookie
And1: 1,190

Post#31 » by ColdBlooded » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:34 pm

Michael Lucky wrote:
The Prodigy wrote:Randle is a face up power forward and that's OK. I don't know why some people want to turn him into something he's not. He is not a small forward and he is not a traditional, back-to-the basket power forward. He's a guy who will use his quickness, ball handling and strength to attack the basket from the mid post.

He's actually quite comfortable with his back to the basket if you saw him play in UK. He actually had a couple of his buckets come from posting up last night. He's just so versatile offensively.

He was not comfortable with his back to the basket at UK. His moves were basic and he was turning over the ball at a high rate. His turnovers cut down when he limited his post ups and stuck to his face up game.

I agree with letting him be who he is. He's not a tweener, thats someone who can't play either position. He can play the PF spot. Now, if you think he's undersized then thats another thing.
Sam Hinkie crew.
The Prodigy
Starter
And1: 469

Post#32 » by The Prodigy » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:55 pm

ColdBlooded wrote:
Michael Lucky wrote:

He was not comfortable with his back to the basket at UK. His moves were basic and he was turning over the ball at a high rate. His turnovers cut down when he limited his post ups and stuck to his face up game.

I agree with letting him be who he is. He's not a tweener, thats someone who can't play either position. He can play the PF spot. Now, if you think he's undersized then thats another thing.

Agreed. It seemed like Calipari wanted him to be a post up PF but that's just not who he is.
Edrees
RealGM
And1: 11,129

Re: Don't F**k it Up Randal 

Post#33 » by Edrees » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:00 pm

iamworthy wrote:We all agree that randle has to earn his minutes on the floor and not be gifted anything right? I'd be mad at Byron if he gave randle minutes he didn't earn. If he can't beat out boozer for the minutes on the floor then we have a bigger problem.

What has Boozer done to earn his minutes? It's not fair that Boozer gets gifted minutes without earning them though. Minutes should be given to the players that earn them I agree, which is why Boozer shouldn't be playing so many. If Boozer gets more minutes while playing worse (notably a lack of defense) I think it sends the wrong message to the rest of the team.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#34 » by ChokeFasncists » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:17 am

Boozer isn't that old, he's still pretty capable.

Randle plays a bit like Bosh in the last game, face the basket, triple threat.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
Jakay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,928

Post#35 » by Jakay » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:19 am

Tweener just means he's not quite built for either position, doesn't mean he can't play still. Corliss Williamson is a perfect example of a tweener who carved out a nice little spot for himself over the years being one. But he does strike me as a tweener still. He's not big or long enough to fully man the PF spot imo, and he has some perimeter skills. Go ahead and be off-put by me saying this, I'm just callin it like I see it.

Also his post game is extremely mediocre right now, which is why posting up smaller players makes more sense for him. I don't watch college ball at all, so I am only going off bits of three preseason games.

He's nothing like Kevin Love either, for better or worse.

Either way, time will tell, and PF will be his position for now.
Sofa King
RealGM
And1: 3,034

Post#36 » by Sofa King » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:37 am

Jakay wrote:Tweener just means he's not quite built for either position, doesn't mean he can't play still. Corliss Williamson is a perfect example of a tweener who carved out a nice little spot for himself over the years being one. But he does strike me as a tweener still. He's not big or long enough to fully man the PF spot imo, and he has some perimeter skills. Go ahead and be off-put by me saying this, I'm just callin it like I see it.

Also his post game is extremely mediocre right now, which is why posting up smaller players makes more sense for him. I don't watch college ball at all, so I am only going off bits of three preseason games.

He's nothing like Kevin Love either, for better or worse.

Either way, time will tell, and PF will be his position for now.

He's a little bigger version of Lebron James. Let's go with this comparison. :D
Sofa King
RealGM
And1: 3,034

Post#37 » by Sofa King » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:38 am

Jakay wrote:Julius is a big time tweener. He's so close to being a Jamison/Deng type of 3, and he's not quite big enough for some of the 4s of the league imo. Him at the 3 with a true stretch 4 would be ideal for him, because no small forward outside of LeBron is going to stop him down on the block.

But the decent handle, the decent range, fair amount of versatility, not an incapable passer... he's got a lot of being a 3 down. Don't know how he'd do chasing down the PGs and LeBrons of the league though either.

I would have liked Ryan Kelly to be that stretch 4 but so far this expectation seems to just disappoint me
iamworthy
RealGM
And1: 8,909

Post#38 » by iamworthy » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:47 am

@ everyone that quoted me:

Randles draft position has nothing to do with his playing time. Its up to him to prove to the lakers that he is worthy of the 7th overall pick, not the other way around. B-Scotts job is to put the best players on the floor that he thinks will win him games. The fact that Boozer is starting over Randle is not a knock on Randle, yet expected being that Boozer is a NBA vet that probably is in charge of giving Randle some advice. I for one have already said that I expect us to make the playoffs so using Randle as a excuse to give him extra minutes because we arent making the playoffs dont fly with me. I suspect Randle will be starting eventually sometime this year. When I dont know.
ratra_1211
Sixth Man
And1: 271

Post#39 » by ratra_1211 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:31 am

iamworthy wrote:@ everyone that quoted me:

Randles draft position has nothing to do with his playing time. Its up to him to prove to the lakers that he is worthy of the 7th overall pick, not the other way around. B-Scotts job is to put the best players on the floor that he thinks will win him games. The fact that Boozer is starting over Randle is not a knock on Randle, yet expected being that Boozer is a NBA vet that probably is in charge of giving Randle some advice. I for one have already said that I expect us to make the playoffs so using Randle as a excuse to give him extra minutes because we arent making the playoffs dont fly with me. I suspect Randle will be starting eventually sometime this year. When I dont know.

i see what you did there 8-)

back on topic, if randle called a tweener but still can score points i dont see where the problem is. he's as fast as any PF in the league, if not faster, and got that dribbling skills like BG at 19 years old. that's his main strength for scoring points. people called him a tweener worrying he cant score the ball effectively in the NBA

well, if preseason is any indication, all is good man.. all is good
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#40 » by Kilroy » Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:45 am

Randle would have been a tweener in the 80s or 90s or even the early 2000s, but I don't think he's a tweener anymore.
There are very few true PFs in the league anymore, just like there are very few true Cs in the league. The True PFs all play C now basically... So Randle, after he gets into the NBA training regime, will be fine at 4... I'm not sure he's quick enough to defend modern 3s... But he's a 19yo rookie... Time will tell where he really fits in.

As for player comparisons... I'm still holding out for Barkley.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...

Return to Los Angeles Lakers