ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Not Allowed to Tank 

Post#1 » by ChokeFasncists » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:28 pm

KOBE
by Henry Abbott

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_ ... s-downfall

There were also business rationales to keeping Bryant. The first is that the Lakers are the opposite of a typical NBA team, as a business. Yes, they have more revenue. But they require tons more because the Lakers are the family business. In most ownership groups, nobody is relying on the team as the prime revenue stream; the team is the high-risk end of a much bigger portfolio. In LA, the team is the linchpin supporting six heirs.

And there is no more important income than the 20-year, $3 billion Time Warner deal to broadcast Lakers games locally. One well-placed source who has reviewed Lakers team finances says the Lakers' annual income from that deal hinges on ratings, which tend to go up when Bryant is on the court. If the team had jettisoned Bryant and tanked the past season in the name of a high 2014 draft pick, the resulting low ratings would have smacked the business of the Lakers hard.

That's presumably part of the reason Kupchak has been outspokenly anti-tanking; his bosses won't tell him to outright tank because tanking costs them a fortune. Meanwhile, it's not as if Bryant didn't have his supporters. Lakers season-ticket holders are a who's who of power brokers and celebrities, and in what one Lakers insider believes was a coordinated effort, many called Jim to make clear they expected him to bring Bryant back.

Makes great sense they got Lin: win more games with lesser talents (Linsanity, no tanking), work relatively well with Kobe(so far at least) and better TV ratings (can easily offset the poison pill); oh, and draft pick (why not?).
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,445

Re: Not Allowed to Tank 

Post#2 » by Slava » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:02 pm

I'm amazed you read that article and the first thing that popped in your mind was Lin. :lol:
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,231

Post#3 » by crazyeights » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:09 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/KevinDing/status/524671495835226112[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/flea333/status/524585591925932033[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/PhilJackson11/status/524678101989851136[/tweet]
hayden
Veteran
And1: 548

Post#4 » by hayden » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:28 pm

so many anonymous quotes.. this article should be on TMZ, not ESPN. what a crock of doo doo.
LarsV8 wrote:[Jeremy Lin] just isn't very good.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#5 » by ChokeFasncists » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:29 pm

Slava wrote:I'm amazed you read that article and the first thing that popped in your mind was Lin. :lol:

Hehehe, well, that's the main reason I read that article in the first place! 8-)

And TBH I don't feel like I'm qualified to comment on anything else on the article. (not particularly interested also but interested to hear which "facts" are wrong in the article, especially if it's in the passage I quoted)
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by crazyeights » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:04 pm

Ramona favorited Ding's tweet BTW. That about sums it up for me.

I've refused to even click on the original article knowing it's just clickbait BSPN creating a false controversy.
Tee212
Lead Assistant
And1: 423

Post#7 » by Tee212 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:17 pm

soo silly how the article surface right after kobe called them idiots...like seriously? lol
MistyMountain20
General Manager
And1: 7,166

Post#8 » by MistyMountain20 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:14 am

crazyeights wrote:Ramona favorited Ding's tweet BTW. That about sums it up for me.

I've refused to even click on the original article knowing it's just clickbait BSPN creating a false controversy.

Are you sure about the favorite, don't see it.
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by crazyeights » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:03 am

Saw it while reading the "Kobe" trending tweets. Just went back and screenshot it. Not sure how to post it from my phone...maybe this will work:

https://mobile.twitter.com/KevinDing/status/524671495835226112/favorites
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by crazyeights » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:07 am

The link doesn't appear to work...but maybe try going to Ding's tweet, click favorites...on my feed it shows at
the top of his tweet in gray that she favorited it (don't look below at the list of other people who did...it was above where it usually says Retweeted by...).
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,513

Post#11 » by Michael Lucky » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:34 am

Not the biggest Kobe fan, but Henry Abbot's agenda against Kobe is ridiculous.
Sofa King
RealGM
And1: 3,034

Post#12 » by Sofa King » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:31 am

You jealous Henry?
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 40,942

Post#13 » by Sedale Threatt » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:41 am

crazyeights wrote:Ramona favorited Ding's tweet BTW. That about sums it up for me.

Wow, that's interesting. Isn't Abbott ESPN's NBA editor? So she's blasting her boss to a certain degree? Or maybe she works under someone else.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by Slava » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:52 am

Sedale Threatt wrote:

Wow, that's interesting. Isn't Abbott ESPN's NBA editor? So she's blasting her boss to a certain degree? Or maybe she works under someone else.

Abbott is a true hoop series writer, Ramona and Stein are the top people with league sources right now for ESPN. I think Ramona is a few notches above Abbott in the pecking order.
ROballer
General Manager
And1: 2,750

Post#15 » by ROballer » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:24 am

Not cool, too far.

-Slava

...terrible terrible analyst,--
Steve Nash injures his back while carrying bags

Slava wrote:I pulled a hammy while fapping. I won't make fun of Nash.
MAMBAEMD
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,622

Post#16 » by MAMBAEMD » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:04 am

I read the article and also heard Abbott's interview on the Herd this morning on the way to work.
In the article, Abbott implies that there is a feeling around the league that Kobe has had more of a negative impact on the Lakers than a positive one, according to his "sources"
My only answer to that is REALLY????????
Are you out of your mind?
Without Kobe, we don't have our last 5 rings. Only a lunatic or someone with an agenda (or a lunatic with an agenda) would think that Kobe has dragged this franchise down.
He is the main reason that the team still draws as much ratings as it does, and he is responsible for the strong revenue stream the team generates.
Also, Abbott admitted that may of the quotes are from more than a year ago. Not exactly credible journalism.
Formerly lakerRD
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 40,942

Post#17 » by Sedale Threatt » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:19 pm

Slava wrote:
Sedale Threatt wrote:

Abbott is a true hoop series writer, Ramona and Stein are the top people with league sources right now for ESPN. I think Ramona is a few notches above Abbott in the pecking order.

Yeah, but I thought they promoted Abbott last season to the editor of their NBA coverage as well...oh well, no matter. I am a fairly big Kobe critic -- how about this: I have a friend who knows D'Antoni pretty well; said Kobe is the worst person (not player, PERSON) he's ever dealt with in his coaching career -- but even I think Abbott has an axe to grind.

(And another line from D'Antoni, on the notion that George Karl might have been interested in coaching the Lakers: "He's already had cancer twice." Rim shot...)
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Not Allowed to Tank 

Post#18 » by Slava » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:35 pm

Sedale Threatt wrote:
Slava wrote:
Sedale Threatt wrote:

Yeah, but I thought they promoted Abbott last season to the editor of their NBA coverage as well...oh well, no matter. I am a fairly big Kobe critic -- how about this: I have a friend who knows D'Antoni pretty well; said Kobe is the worst person (not player, PERSON) he's ever dealt with in his coaching career -- but even I think Abbott has an axe to grind.

(And another line from D'Antoni, on the notion that George Karl might have been interested in coaching the Lakers: "He's already had cancer twice." Rim shot...)

Wouldn't doubt that and we have had players who would throw a dumbbell at d'antoni if he was sinking in a lake as well, so those two ass wipes deserved each other for a season.
Sofa King
RealGM
And1: 3,034

Post#19 » by Sofa King » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:40 pm

Sedale Threatt wrote:
Slava wrote:
Sedale Threatt wrote:

D'Antoni should write a book then.
cw3k
Bench Warmer
And1: 503

Post#20 » by cw3k » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:49 pm

No tank should allow the tank. It is disguising because you are a professional and the best in the world, yet, allow to put up a half ass job.

Do you see for private organization intention loss money get reward? (not including those in bed with the government).

Return to Los Angeles Lakers