ImageImageImageImageImage

Why the Lakers record is impossible to predict?

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

B-Scott
Head Coach
And1: 94

Why the Lakers record is impossible to predict? 

Post#1 » by B-Scott » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:44 am

We don't know how quickly Randle will develop. If he all of a sudden becomes one of the elite power forwards in the game, than the Lakers are a totally different team. The key for Randle becoming that player is the 15 to 18 foot jumper. Once that becomes consistent, this guy is going to be 20 and 10 and a All Star for years to come.

Jeremy Lin: When have the Lakers had a PG who gets inside the paint like this and can create? Maybe back in the Nick Van Exel days. Lin, is going to make guys like Davis, Boozer and Hill better players.

Kobe: It's looking like his game is similair to 2 years ago

ESPN writers keep making these predictions of 22 wins, 30 wins. To be honest you can't predict this team. The potential is there to surprise some people.
Sofa King
RealGM
And1: 3,034

Re: Why the Lakers record is impossible to predict? 

Post#2 » by Sofa King » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:49 am

Tell this to FloppyMouse. Annoy him until he comes to his senses.
B-Scott
Head Coach
And1: 94

Post#3 » by B-Scott » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:51 am

Huh!
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#4 » by ChokeFasncists » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:30 am

B-Scott wrote:
B-Scott
Head Coach

:lol:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/MagicJohnson/status/525125647677784066[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/MagicJohnson/status/525126518629208064[/tweet]
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
One Love
Starter
And1: 290

Post#5 » by One Love » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:30 pm

I am as optimistic as they come but this year is going to SUCK... We need a 2008 Nash & Kobe to do anything and I don't see a time machine therefore get ready for a tough year & hopefully Swaggy P won't shoot us out of an top 5 pick the last month of the season...
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,440

Post#6 » by Slava » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:38 pm

Our only hope to have a semi-respectable defense is to start Lin, Davis & Randle. That won't happen so we won't win more than 35 games. I had more faith when we were starting Kwame and Mihm together than Hill & Boozer.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,513

Post#7 » by Michael Lucky » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:41 pm

Randle isn't going to develop into a Elite PF at 19, come on now.
Laker_Kid
Starter
And1: 591

Post#8 » by Laker_Kid » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:26 pm

Hopefully, a trade will happen. This is pretty much the only thing that can save us. imho.

If a Kwame can get us a Gasol... then a Hill shouldnt be too hard to move... much respect for the dreads but im pretty sure he knows why his contract is the way it is.

Sent from my LG-D802 using RealGM Forums mobile app
Wonderllama
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,401

Post#9 » by Wonderllama » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:06 pm

30-40 wins is my prediction. Let's say 35. That might be optimistic. There is zero defense on this team.
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 40,939

Post#10 » by Sedale Threatt » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:58 pm

Keeping my fingers crossed that we suck badly enough to keep that pick. Otherwise it's a lost year for me.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#11 » by ChokeFasncists » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:41 am

Wonderllama wrote:30-40 wins is my prediction. Let's say 35. That might be optimistic. There is zero defense on this team.

This starting lineup isn't that bad defensively:

Davis
Boozer
Johnson
Kobe
Lin

There are a lot of unknowns about this team, but if things pan out it shouldn't be so bad. It's too bad Nash has already gone down. Let's hope Kobe is fully healthy, Lin is fully utilized, Johnson doesn't do too much and Boozer is still capable.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#12 » by DEEP3CL » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:06 am

I tell this to people all day, it's impossible to just say this team is gonna win X amount of games until we see them in the first actual 15-20. That will give us a gauge on where they're at. To me we have to hit certain markers through out the season to even think of chasing the lower playoff seeds.

Take the first months road games, every one of them are tough and it's 6 total. 4 of them are back to backs, the most difficult being Atlanta to Houston. But to me if we can just go 3-3 on the road and 6-2 at home, that gives us 9-5 to close the month.

December will be the most extremely difficult month to deal with....15 games, 5 home and 10 away with 3 sets of back to backs. December is our make or break month, if we can some how float between 9-6 and 11-4 that keeps us in the hunt. Only 4 of the road games are tough in my opinion.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
improvisor
Rookie
And1: 430

Post#13 » by improvisor » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:19 am

From a outside perspective, the reason it is so hard to predict the Lakers record is because of all these question marks.

Will Kobe be healthy this season? Will he be like his old self? Or close to it?

Will Randle show he's one of the top rookies?

Can Kobe and Lin play together?

Can Kobe , Lin, and Young play together?

There's a lot more factors all of you probably more familiar with. I see you guys getting into the playoffs 7th or 8th seed.

Sent from my QMV7B using RealGM Forums mobile app
Jaykoolzboy
Assistant Coach
And1: 95

Post#14 » by Jaykoolzboy » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:33 am

I think we can do a best scenario and worst scenario prediction

Best scenario -- Julius Randle provides instant impact, 14/8 for his rookie season , JLin returns to somewhat close to Linsanity 17 pts 7asts with above average D, Kobe is doing his stuff solid 24pts 5 rebs 5 asts on reasonably well percentage, lets say 45 percent.

Even with all those best scenario cases, I still don't see Lakers can win more than 40 games, why not? Check our conference opponents . In conclusion 38 wins might be the best thing this team can get.

Worst scenario -- Julius Randle struggles and hit rookie wall right away, JLin just straight up sucks, Kobe getting his 30 shots per game with 40 percent or lower successful rate, then just re-injured again somewhere in the season.

I see this team wins no more than 25 games if that's the case.

So theoretically I see Lakers winning somewhere around 25 - 38 games this season.
Tee212
Lead Assistant
And1: 423

Post#15 » by Tee212 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:04 am

LOL @ magic..he tweets the obvious because of a couple games we just witnessed. when randle has a bad game "hes thinking too much" "let the game come to you" bs. that works for everyone in the NBA. esp odom missing left handed point blank layups.
RollingWave
Sixth Man
And1: 709

Post#16 » by RollingWave » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:18 am

Laker_Kid wrote:Hopefully, a trade will happen. This is pretty much the only thing that can save us. imho.

If a Kwame can get us a Gasol... then a Hill shouldnt be too hard to move... much respect for the dreads but im pretty sure he knows why his contract is the way it is.

Sent from my LG-D802 using RealGM Forums mobile app

It also included 3 first round pick and Marc Fing Gasol .

The Lakers literally can not trade a first round pick anymore until the next CBA. (ok I guess they can trade the Houston pick they hold.) and the times have changed enough to make such trades harder. With the salary cap projected to go up a ton, and the league flush with money, the odds of a team trading good players because they're cash strapped is zero. and need to get expirings because of being tied up by big contracts and very low as well.

In short, if they trade for anyone, it won't be anyone who looks good at that time at all. If they can even pull off another Jeremy Lin type trade it's a miracle.

The Lakers need to build up value here, there's not going to be a short fix unless some big FA just decide he love the Lakers so much, which as the last few years shown, is hardly a given when the team isn't good.

The realistic plan is to build value by getting a lot of underrated guys on the cheap and build up their value, so you can either flip them for more value or make your team look attractive from a basketball level.
The river of time wash away all heroes
lakersin4
Starter
And1: 788

Post#17 » by lakersin4 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:54 pm

One Love wrote:I am as optimistic as they come but this year is going to SUCK... We need a 2008 Nash & Kobe to do anything and I don't see a time machine therefore get ready for a tough year & hopefully Swaggy P won't shoot us out of an top 5 pick the last month of the season...

If we're in that top 5 pick scenario, B. Scott won't be too timid to leave it in the players hands.. Kobe & Swaggy will be sitting, Randle, Clarkson, Davis will be playing 30+ MPG & we'll be scoring 60 PPG.
rand0m
Junior
And1: 25

Post#18 » by rand0m » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:40 am

Jaykoolzboy wrote:I think we can do a best scenario and worst scenario prediction

Best scenario -- Julius Randle provides instant impact, 14/8 for his rookie season , JLin returns to somewhat close to Linsanity 17 pts 7asts with above average D, Kobe is doing his stuff solid 24pts 5 rebs 5 asts on reasonably well percentage, lets say 45 percent.

Even with all those best scenario cases, I still don't see Lakers can win more than 40 games, why not? Check our conference opponents . In conclusion 38 wins might be the best thing this team can get.

Worst scenario -- Julius Randle struggles and hit rookie wall right away, JLin just straight up sucks, Kobe getting his 30 shots per game with 40 percent or lower successful rate, then just re-injured again somewhere in the season.

I see this team wins no more than 25 games if that's the case.

So theoretically I see Lakers winning somewhere around 25 - 38 games this season.

I agree with this. It's not definite but it's realistic. Even in the best scenario it's hard to place LA in the playoff race in the west. If LA got in who would be out? I think it says a lot when the "best" scenario involves our starters exceeding expectations let alone the rest of the roster.
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,561

Post#19 » by hermes » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:09 pm

its not impossible, just pick a number and go with it

Return to Los Angeles Lakers