ImageImageImageImageImage

Bryant to Knicks Rumor

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

MAMBAEMD
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,622

Re: Bryant to Knicks Rumor 

Post#21 » by MAMBAEMD » Mon Nov 3, 2014 4:38 am

Why would Kobe wave his no-trade clause for a non-contender like the Knicks?
Even with Kobe, the Knicks couldn't contend for a title.
Formerly lakerRD
kblo247
RealGM
And1: 2,130

Post#22 » by kblo247 » Mon Nov 3, 2014 5:00 am

lakerRD wrote:Why would Kobe wave his no-trade clause for a non-contender like the Knicks?
Even with Kobe, the Knicks couldn't contend for a title.

It is the east
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,231

Post#23 » by crazyeights » Mon Nov 3, 2014 5:08 am

Per WT:

"I've enjoyed a great amount of success here. You can't just enjoy the successful times and then run away from the bad ones. No, I don't even think about [departing]. I'm a Laker."

Bryant makes $23.5 million this season and $25 million in the next, which would limit the Lakers' ability to trade him.

The Lakers were unable to accomplish much in free agency with Carmelo Anthony re-signing with the New York Knicks and LeBron James going to the Cleveland Cavaliers.

"It was really tough to land those free agents just because of the opportunities that they had," Bryant said. "You got 'Melo going back to New York, LeBron going back home to Cleveland. The odds just weren't in our favor. But I took comfort in the fact that the Lakers did absolutely everything possible to make it happen. Absolutely everything possible.

"We offered Pau an incredible deal. I saw them put the work in. It's much different than in 2007 when I felt like they were just sitting on their hands. This is not that case. They were going after it and being aggressive. I will fight for that till the end. They tried, tried and tried and it didn't work out. I stand behind them 110 percent. I bleed purple and gold."
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,329

Post#24 » by Dr Aki » Mon Nov 3, 2014 6:32 am

while i prefer watching kobe win, watching kobe still go on massive destructive scoring tears still excites me to no end

if we're not winning, watching kobe break records is the next best thing
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,231

Post#25 » by crazyeights » Mon Nov 3, 2014 6:45 am

Anyone else find it interesting Kobe says "We offered Pau an incredible deal"?

It was reported we offered "a two-year, $10 million-plus contract"....I mean I guess he took less than that to play for the Bulls, but find it interesting he called it incredible.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#26 » by Slava » Mon Nov 3, 2014 6:54 am

crazyeights wrote:Anyone else find it interesting Kobe says "We offered Pau an incredible deal"?

It was reported we offered "a two-year, $10 million-plus contract"....I mean I guess he took less than that to play for the Bulls, but find it interesting he called it incredible.

I think the total contract was 2 yrs $23 million, which is above what his best suitors were offering him. OKC was effectively giving the MLE, Chicago had $6 mil per and Spurs had a bit more but weren't going to offer more than $9 mil per season. But I agree, if we wanted to keep Pau, our best chance would have been to extend him when they extended Kobe. He even said as much early last season that if his play improves the Lakers might make his decision easier by offering him an extension.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Jedi32
Head Coach
And1: 6,282

Post#27 » by Jedi32 » Mon Nov 3, 2014 7:04 am

Still think pau had mentally checked out ever since that cp3 situation.
PKABOOICU
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,128

Post#28 » by PKABOOICU » Mon Nov 3, 2014 5:42 pm

kobe isn't going anywhere and the lakers can't contend until he retires. fans just need to suck it up for 2 more seasons, not think about the playoffs, and just watch one of the greatest of all time do his thing. its that simple
Jedi32
Head Coach
And1: 6,282

Post#29 » by Jedi32 » Mon Nov 3, 2014 5:56 pm

The Lakers can't contend until kobe retires mumbo jumbo is a media driven narrative that isn't true. They could have but things didn't turn out that way.
LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Post#30 » by LApwnd » Mon Nov 3, 2014 8:45 pm

even if you don't like Kobe, which personally I don't but I do appreciate him being a Laker legend....you can't trade him due to PR purposes....I don't want to look like the Knicks, Hou, etc. having to trade their long time legends on their last leg. Leaves a bitter taste for everyone one and sort of taints his legacy here if we just dump him to salvage a year or two into this rebuild.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,921

Post#31 » by Capn'O » Mon Nov 3, 2014 9:40 pm

mcscotty wrote:Kobe and Melo. That would be the Knicks best one-two punch since Franchise and Starbury.

My thoughts exactly. Just not the right combo.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
siar617
Analyst
And1: 457

Post#32 » by siar617 » Tue Nov 4, 2014 4:01 am

One Love wrote:It is too early but I do think there could be some traction IF Kobe forces the issue as that would give the FO the option of supporting Kobe & doing the right thing... Lakers could get Iman, Hardaway, 2015 1st & an expiring... Assuming we keep losing that would give us 3 2015 1st round picks plus no contracts on books... We could chase Lenard & a couple other players... All Star break could be very interesting...

If MJ could play for Washington... Kobe could at for NY...

Couple of issues.

One the Knicks can't trade this years pick so you'd have to settle for 2018.
Two I don't believe the Knicks give you two young players to take a contract of that magnitude.
You are looking at Hardaway Larkin Amare 2018 pick
Mamba Venom
RealGM
And1: 580

Post#33 » by Mamba Venom » Tue Nov 4, 2014 8:50 pm

Kobe needs to be a Laker for life.

Look this team is trying to win but the Lakers need a top 5 pick this season. Next season will look like

Top 5 pick
Randle do over rookie year
Rockets #1 pick (from Lin trade)
Tons of cap room Only Kobe 23.5, Young 5, Randle 3 committed.

The Lakers wont have a complete Cleveland level rebuild but Kobe and top rookies and free agency is the fastest way to play-off ball/contender depending on who the Lakers get through free agency. Last time it took 4 years to contend when we lost Shaq. I would be thrilled if we can do the rebuild sooner so Kobe is still on the roster and can chase #6 with the purple and gold.
Lakers are 22-3 in OT last 6 seasons:Kobe best OT closer!
Mamba Venom
RealGM
And1: 580

Post#34 » by Mamba Venom » Tue Nov 4, 2014 9:02 pm

Dr Aki wrote:while i prefer watching kobe win, watching kobe still go on massive destructive scoring tears still excites me to no end

if we're not winning, watching kobe break records is the next best thing

As long as we get a top 5 pick.
Lakers are 22-3 in OT last 6 seasons:Kobe best OT closer!
mcscotty
Rookie
And1: 486

Post#35 » by mcscotty » Wed Nov 5, 2014 3:17 am

Jedi32 wrote:Still think pau had mentally checked out ever since that cp3 situation.

Nah. It was just time for Pau to "put on his big boy pants".
Wonderllama
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,401

Post#36 » by Wonderllama » Wed Nov 5, 2014 6:15 am

I wonder what it would take for Kobe to change his mind. 0-10 record? 5-20? This team is going nowhere. They need a top 5 pick badly, and Kobe deserves to be on a team that can make the playoffs. It's not gonna diminish his Laker legacy. His statue is getting built outside of Staples Center no matter what.
hazy_01
Rookie
And1: 362

Post#37 » by hazy_01 » Wed Nov 5, 2014 1:44 pm

No way hes a Laker for life, IF we continue to suck we get a top 5 pick and houston's pick. Also we have some cap space to spend as well. That is a way better outlook than what knicks have.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,659

Post#38 » by dockingsched » Wed Nov 5, 2014 2:41 pm

Unless Kobe comes out and publicity demands a trade and basically makes it impossible to keep him on the team, he's not going anywhere. After missing out on big time free agents as expected, the team is right where it should be. No long term money tied up, bad enough to possibly keep it's pick, and enough of a draw to keep attendance and ratings acceptable during these lean yrs. That last one is all due to kobe.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
snaquille oatmeal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,763

Post#39 » by snaquille oatmeal » Wed Nov 5, 2014 3:09 pm

is it wrong that I open this thread just to read what the mighty dock has to say?
Forum permissions