Kobe Needs to Let It Go

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,692

Re: Phil shuts the haters up....again 

Post#61 » by madmaxmedia » Thu Nov 6, 2014 10:19 pm

Kilroy wrote:
dockingsched wrote:Shot better = made a higher percentage of their shots.

Just pointing that out for those contend that Kobe has to shoot so much cause his teammates are so bad. Kobe shoots just as bad.

Just as long as we agree that shooting percentage doesn't necessarily indicate "better shooting." That volume of shots effects shooting percentage... I have no problem with your premise.

Only Lin and Boozer shot a higher percentage than Kobe...
Disregarding Boozer because he was bound to get higher percentage shots due to his position... Lin shot 50%... He only shot the ball 10 times, but still he got 50%... Does anyone actually believe if he shot it 4x as much (roughly how many times Kobe shot), he'd still be hitting 50% of his shots?

But I agree, Kobe is shooting too much.

His team is still stinking up the court, though.

Lin was having a pretty good game, shot those 4 consecutive free throws in the 4th...then missed badly on 2 tougher shots- one a baseline turnaround after being diverted on a drive, the other when the shot clock was running out. Those are the types of shots that, smart or not, are makeable for Kobe.

One game of hero ball is not that big of a deal. IMO, the fact that Kobe could play hero ball and keep the Lakers in the game against a decent opponent so soon after long time off, is very much a glass half full scenario IMO.

If the dream team Cavaliers need more than 4-5 games to mesh and play well together, how many games does this Laker roster need?
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Re: Kobe Needs to Let It Go 

Post#62 » by Kilroy » Thu Nov 6, 2014 10:21 pm

bws94 wrote:Here's a pretty funny stat. Lin has 37 shot attempts, for the whole season of 5 games. Of course Kobe had the 37 for one game.

So am I stupid? And it's OK to say yes, you are bws94 :)

I think in the next game another source has to step up. In the Clippers game Hill did providing big scoring. I think Kobe will have to give his 24+ points, hopefully Lin gets around 16-20, but beyond those two, during the game, someone else has to provide some reliable scoring punch. Now, this is all provided the defense doesn't again totally fall apart late and allow the Hornets a ton of points.

And I know I keep mentioning this name, and maybe I'm not being realistic, but can Wesley score 17-20 points? Can Kobe and Lin look for Wesley for easy baskets, can he cut and actually use his athleticism to get himself going. There are signs of waking up in the last 2 games, but nowhere near where he should be in my opinion. Is it just wishful thinking that I think Wesley can be a key contributor to the first unit's offense sometimes? Or am I stupid to believe this?

You have to count 3s... Lin has 49 attempts for the season, Kobe had 44 against the Suns...

But if you're going to play that game...
Lin only made 18 of those shots or about 37%

Kobe made 17 of his 44 or about 39%
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 5,388

Post#63 » by Danny Darko » Thu Nov 6, 2014 10:33 pm

Wesley can't consistently do anything. Hill has to be the guy to avg 20pts a game.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,692

Post#64 » by madmaxmedia » Thu Nov 6, 2014 10:46 pm

ArC_man wrote:Image
I agree that Kobe obviously shouldn't be shooting so much.

However, last game he wasn't just chucking up midrange bricks. He was actually efficient on midrange/3s but missed a ton of shots in the paint. I saw plenty of easy shots missed but also plenty of plays where he drew a crowd and forced up a dumb shot expecting a call (which he definitely needs to cut down on). The fact that Kobe can still get to the paint for 17 shots in a game is somewhat encouraging.

At least a few of those misses in the paint were very makeable for him, I think he will get more of those to roll in as the season progresses. There were also a few that he was hoping for foul calls to bail him out.
Edrees
RealGM
And1: 11,134

Post#65 » by Edrees » Fri Nov 7, 2014 12:36 am

However, last game he wasn't just chucking up midrange bricks. He was actually efficient on midrange/3s but missed a ton of shots in the paint. I saw plenty of easy shots missed but also plenty of plays where he drew a crowd and forced up a dumb shot expecting a call (which he definitely needs to cut down on). The fact that Kobe can still get to the paint for 17 shots in a game is somewhat encouraging.

Holy crap that chart changes everything. If he's taking shots from inside the restricted area I see no issue with that. If he just made those close buckets he would have shot a pretty ridiculous efficiency.
dznutzz
Bench Warmer
And1: 122

Post#66 » by dznutzz » Fri Nov 7, 2014 12:41 am

we're still not making the playoffs in the west even if he passes more. all the free agents know this. the media put the lakers as bottom 3 before the season.

he knows the lakers are in tank mode and he's the only attraction. goal of the season: break mj's record. he's not going to stop shooting until his arms fall off. once it does watch out for linsanity 2
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#67 » by ChokeFasncists » Fri Nov 7, 2014 1:12 am

Edrees wrote:

Holy crap that chart changes everything. If he's taking shots from inside the restricted area I see no issue with that. If he just made those close buckets he would have shot a pretty ridiculous efficiency.

Yeah, some of those close buckets were easy ones, I guess it might be fatigue.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
oldschooled
Veteran
And1: 2,702

Post#68 » by oldschooled » Fri Nov 7, 2014 6:31 am

Damn, we should get this first W asap!
Frank Dux wrote:
LeChosen One wrote:Doc is right. The Warriors shouldn't get any respect unless they repeat to be honest.

According to your logic, Tim Duncan doesn't deserve any respect.
LakerLegendMikeSmrek
Sophomore
And1: 7

Post#69 » by LakerLegendMikeSmrek » Fri Nov 7, 2014 8:17 am

Slava wrote:Bro, its like you guys haven't followed him for his first 18 seasons. He will shoot more when we aren't winning, he will shoot more when he is in doubt and generally he shoots until he shoots us to a win. This is even more magnified when you lack a proper offensive system or philosophy for the role players to remain confident about.

I've followed him his whole career. The truth of the matter and which LA fans do not wish to speak about is he is very stats driven. If he is a few points from 40, which he was a few nights ago, he is shooting. A few points from 40, 50, 60, etc. you're not going to see the ball. If he is one or two assists away from a double double, or triple double, he will pass, pass, pass, pass, and at the post game interview, he'll sell you on something about trusting his teammates and that he's going to keep giving them the ball. Kobe's play is as extreme as weather.

Down the stretch, he ignored Lin twice on open corner threes, shooting with people in his face. Why? Because he wasn't 1 or 2 assists away from a triple. Kobe's career numbers would have been so much more efficient if he just plays the right way. I love games when there is 6 minutes left and all of Kobe's numbers are neutral.. like low 20's, 5 boards, 5 dimes... That's because I know he'll make the right play down the stretch.
Tee212
Lead Assistant
And1: 423

Post#70 » by Tee212 » Fri Nov 7, 2014 10:04 am

LakerLegendMikeSmrek wrote:
Slava wrote:Bro, its like you guys haven't followed him for his first 18 seasons. He will shoot more when we aren't winning, he will shoot more when he is in doubt and generally he shoots until he shoots us to a win. This is even more magnified when you lack a proper offensive system or philosophy for the role players to remain confident about.

I've followed him his whole career. The truth of the matter and which LA fans do not wish to speak about is he is very stats driven. If he is a few points from 40, which he was a few nights ago, he is shooting. A few points from 40, 50, 60, etc. you're not going to see the ball. If he is one or two assists away from a double double, or triple double, he will pass, pass, pass, pass, and at the post game interview, he'll sell you on something about trusting his teammates and that he's going to keep giving them the ball. Kobe's play is as extreme as weather.

Down the stretch, he ignored Lin twice on open corner threes, shooting with people in his face. Why? Because he wasn't 1 or 2 assists away from a triple. Kobe's career numbers would have been so much more efficient if he just plays the right way. I love games when there is 6 minutes left and all of Kobe's numbers are neutral.. like low 20's, 5 boards, 5 dimes... That's because I know he'll make the right play down the stretch.

not sure if i agree with "stats driven" if that was true hell take less ill advised shots and drive for layups like lebron. if he shots a 4-29 night and HE WILL keep shooting...wouldnt he worry about his low %? on games where they are down by double digits 5 mins in the 4th hell chuck 3's to bring them back not caring about his shooting % or always taking the last second grenade shots to bail out the team from the 24 shot clock.
ratra_1211
Sixth Man
And1: 271

Post#71 » by ratra_1211 » Fri Nov 7, 2014 10:38 am

Tee212 wrote:

not sure if i agree with "stats driven" if that was true hell take less ill advised shots and drive for layups like lebron. if he shots a 4-29 night and HE WILL keep shooting...wouldnt he worry about his low %? on games where they are down by double digits 5 mins in the 4th hell chuck 3's to bring them back not caring about his shooting % or always taking the last second grenade shots to bail out the team from the 24 shot clock.

Kobe is the last guy i expect to care about his stats, outside maybe alltime achievements

Sent from my SM-N900 using RealGM Forums mobile app
John Long
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,026

Post#72 » by John Long » Fri Nov 7, 2014 2:26 pm

Tee212 wrote:

Kobe is very stats driven, I agree with what LakerLegendMikeSmrek said, I used to be in denial as well but after watching his every game and studying Kobe since the year 2000 I have had to accept that's just who Kobe is. The only thing I say as to your argument is that Kobe is not efficiency driven, because efficiency stats hadn't pick up steam when Kobe was coming up, and now that he knows he won't be much of an efficient scorer in terms of fg% anyway, he stopped giving a sh*t and just chucks away.
"...things are never as good or as bad as they seem in the moment in time." - Kobe
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#73 » by Kilroy » Fri Nov 7, 2014 4:31 pm

Kobe is probably the least stat driven superstar I've seen...

You'd think if he was stat driven his efficiency and FG% stats would have been a lot better.

The only stats he cares about are Rings, Wins, and Points in that order.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
John Long
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,026

Post#74 » by John Long » Fri Nov 7, 2014 5:01 pm

Kilroy wrote:Kobe is probably the least stat driven superstar I've seen...

You'd think if he was stat driven his efficiency and FG% stats would have been a lot better.

I think this order is more accurate: 1. Being the highest paid player in the league 2. Points 3. Rings and wins
"...things are never as good or as bad as they seem in the moment in time." - Kobe
Tee212
Lead Assistant
And1: 423

Post#75 » by Tee212 » Fri Nov 7, 2014 5:20 pm

John Long wrote:
Kilroy wrote:Kobe is probably the least stat driven superstar I've seen...

I think this order is more accurate: 1. Being the highest paid player in the league 2. Points 3. Rings and wins

why would he care about being the highest paid player in the league? he makes tons more in endorsements. I watched him since 96 on the bench. why does he consistently demand the grenade ball and shots over the triple team type shots?...youre saying he purposes look to make difficult shots for more points cause he wants to put up points? lol. a stat driven guy is bron, he made it clear to stop chucking the 3 ball to increase his %.

maybe youre thinking that now cause he has nothing else to play for with this roster. but far as i know hes been the same since hes been in the league that is to attack.
Tonyism74
Starter
And1: 17

Post#76 » by Tonyism74 » Fri Nov 7, 2014 5:48 pm

Im on the East Coast...I watched every game using League Pass, and stayed up way past 1AM just to watch the Lakers. My assessment of his game is this...he always jacked up shots, but the league is catching up, as well as his age. If he is a winner and as great as I believe him to be, its time now to make the right play. He needs to make himself more willing to get the team involved, and not just do it for a stretch here and there. He needs to incorporate ball movement which empowers and improves players around him.
Yes, im posting all over again!
hayden
Veteran
And1: 548

Post#77 » by hayden » Fri Nov 7, 2014 6:17 pm

prime-kobe could finish on 2 defenders in the post and draw an and1. now-kobe is an inefficient finisher without calls from the refs (which he didn't get last game). he just doesn't have the elevation to out-jump defenders to get an easier look at the rim. his jumper is looking good, except when he's gassed at the end of games cause Scott is playing him 44 mins.

so yes.. kobe:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0MK7qz13bU[/youtube]
LarsV8 wrote:[Jeremy Lin] just isn't very good.
Tonyism74
Starter
And1: 17

Post#78 » by Tonyism74 » Fri Nov 7, 2014 8:13 pm

hayden wrote:prime-kobe could finish on 2 defenders in the post and draw an and1. now-kobe is an inefficient finisher without calls from the refs (which he didn't get last game). he just doesn't have the elevation to out-jump defenders to get an easier look at the rim. his jumper is looking good, except when he's gassed at the end of games cause Scott is playing him 44 mins.

so yes.. kobe:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0MK7qz13bU[/youtube]

Agreed...but, Kobe is a very good passer, when he chooses to pass. This part of the game if he chooses to will help the team.

Here's a small sampling of players who play less minutes than Kobe have more assists:

Kyle Korver
Marc Gasol
Paul Pierce
Blake Griffin
Trevor Ariza
Iguodala
JR Smith
Nene
Jamal Crawford
Yes, im posting all over again!
rand0m
Junior
And1: 25

Kobe Needs to Let It Go 

Post#79 » by rand0m » Fri Nov 7, 2014 8:54 pm

I guess I have less faith in this team then many of you do. Of course Kobe is shooting too much but I think expecting much else from him at this point is too much. I don't see Kobe ever trusting these guys and I don't blame him. They are just plain bad. We MIGHT win a few more games if Kobe didn't chuck but I don't think even prime Steve Nash could save this team (playoffs). Especially in the west.
Jedi32
Head Coach
And1: 6,282

Post#80 » by Jedi32 » Fri Nov 7, 2014 9:19 pm

Are you sure you've been watching kobe? Your description is way off

Return to Los Angeles Lakers