Kobe Needs to Let It Go

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

Jedi32
Head Coach
And1: 6,285

Re: Kobe Needs to Let It Go 

Post#81 » by Jedi32 » Fri Nov 7, 2014 9:21 pm

John Long wrote:
Kilroy wrote:Kobe is probably the least stat driven superstar I've seen...

You'd think if he was stat driven his efficiency and FG% stats would have been a lot better.

The only stats he cares about are Rings, Wins, and Points in that order.

I think this order is more accurate: 1. Being the highest paid player in the league 2. Points 3. Rings and wins

Nothing against you as a poster but this makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.
John Long
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,026

Post#82 » by John Long » Sat Nov 8, 2014 2:17 am

Jedi32 wrote:
John Long wrote:

You'd think if he was stat driven his efficiency and FG% stats would have been a lot better.

I think this order is more accurate: 1. Being the highest paid player in the league 2. Points 3. Rings and wins

If Kobe had cared more about winning then he would have signed a reasonable contract that would have helped to bring better talent around him. So he cared more not about the money but about the reputation of being the highest paid player in the league which he had been for the past 4 or 5 years.

Mitch Kupchak wrote:"The negotiation went pretty smoothly in terms of arriving at a number that as reported makes him the highest paid player in the league next year, the year after and of course this year as well."

I have heard Dr Buss say this time and time again too before he passed. It seems very important to Kobe that he is the highest paid player in the league, even more important than winning championships because which ever way you look at it with the current salary cap situation, its a trade-off.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/26/lakers-gm-says-franchise-still-can-build-contender-around-kobe/
"...things are never as good or as bad as they seem in the moment in time." - Kobe
So Gutta
Pro Prospect
And1: 57

Post#83 » by So Gutta » Sat Nov 8, 2014 3:14 am

Watching Kobe chuck all night is extremely boring. I prefer to watch a team play together. The best thing that could happen to Kobe is for the Lakers to have the worst record in the league while he continues to play his "game." Maybe he'll get it through his head that his style can't get us to the playoffs anymore. He doesn't understand that he isn't making his teammates better.

I love Kobe as a Laker for life but the fact is that the Lakers will never be able to rebuild properly as long as Kobe is on this team. Why Kupchak would even stand for this is beyond me.
"Put five thousand bucks on the Lakers." --Krusty The Clown
Jedi32
Head Coach

Post#84 » by Jedi32 » Sat Nov 8, 2014 2:13 pm

John Long wrote:
Jedi32 wrote:
John Long wrote:

If Kobe had cared more about winning then he would have signed a reasonable contract that would have helped to bring better talent around him. So he cared more not about the money but about the reputation of being the highest paid player in the league which he had been for the past 4 or 5 years.

Mitch Kupchak wrote:"The negotiation went pretty smoothly in terms of arriving at a number that as reported makes him the highest paid player in the league next year, the year after and of course this year as well."

I have heard Dr Buss say this time and time again too before he passed. It seems very important to Kobe that he is the highest paid player in the league, even more important than winning championships because which ever way you look at it with the current salary cap situation, its a trade-off.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/26/lakers-gm-says-franchise-still-can-build-contender-around-kobe/

You ever think that maybe just maybe it was important for the Lakers to pay him that money because they wanted to thank him for all the money he's made them over the years. I mean I highly doubt kobe was demanding or even suggesting being the highest paid player in the league. Have we forgotten that if Dr buss isn't feeling it, it won't happen? Shaq wanted lots of money but Dr buss stood his ground, why do you think he wouldn't do the same with kobe?
Jedi32
Head Coach

Post#85 » by Jedi32 » Sat Nov 8, 2014 2:18 pm

So Gutta wrote:Watching Kobe chuck all night is extremely boring. I prefer to watch a team play together. The best thing that could happen to Kobe is for the Lakers to have the worst record in the league while he continues to play his "game." Maybe he'll get it through his head that his style can't get us to the playoffs anymore. He doesn't understand that he isn't making his teammates better.

I love Kobe as a Laker for life but the fact is that the Lakers will never be able to rebuild properly as long as Kobe is on this team. Why Kupchak would even stand for this is beyond me.

Lol why are people acting as if Kobe is averaging 40 shots a game and never passes? Are we watching the same team? This is the same team everyone said would be boring and basically useless. Kobe does pass have you seen how fumbled passes there have been. The only two outside of Kobe imo who are doing anything are Davis and hill. Also it's been five games let's see how they look after 20 before we stone kobe or anyone on the team for that matter.
bws94
Head Coach
And1: 1,222

Post#86 » by bws94 » Sat Nov 8, 2014 5:38 pm

Watching Kobe is a freaking gift. He is one of the best ever. He still is a great player, he just has to adjust to his athleticism today. Sometimes great players have bad habits but I think Kobe has the right attitude and one that, if a Boozer or Lin are to play to their potentials, Kobe is encouraging.

I think Kobe should shoot his shots when he is in a groove. When he is unconscious and could make fall-aways over a mountain, shoot them. Not force them, but take them. When he's cooled off or could help in other ways, then do that. He's not one-dimensional. Kobe I hope is watching film, figuring things out with some key team mates, and will pick his spots. Late game is when the ball goes to him, he's the closer. Doesn't mean he takes every shot, but the ball goes through him.
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,335

Re: Phil shuts the haters up....again 

Post#87 » by Dr Aki » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:38 am

Dr Aki wrote:there's a happy medium to be found and we haven't quite unlocked it yet, i believe back in the triangle days 2005-2011, that magic number was 20, if kobe had 20 shots or less, the lakers were a damn decent chance to win the game because it meant the team produced so kobe didn't need to

today's game

kobe 7-20 FG
Tee212
Lead Assistant
And1: 423

Post#88 » by Tee212 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:38 am

Dr Aki wrote:
Dr Aki wrote:there's a happy medium to be found and we haven't quite unlocked it yet, i believe back in the triangle days 2005-2011, that magic number was 20, if kobe had 20 shots or less, the lakers were a damn decent chance to win the game because it meant the team produced so kobe didn't need to

today's game

kobe 7-20 FG

the casual hater fan dont realize this. they see the box score points and attempts and conclude hes a super chucker looking for his points and wants to be the highest paid player and win last.
John Long
Bench Warmer

Post#89 » by John Long » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:51 am

Tee212 wrote:
Dr Aki wrote:

today's game

kobe 7-20 FG

the casual hater fan dont realize this. they see the box score points and attempts and conclude hes a super chucker looking for his points and wants to be the highest paid player and win last.

Facts are facts buddy. Kobe shared the ball tonight and we managed to get our first win of the season. I love Kobe like every other laker fan out there, but the team comes first. I hope Kobe keeps sharing the ball, the team is more fun to watch that way, 20 shots is more than enough for the 19 year veteran.
"...things are never as good or as bad as they seem in the moment in time." - Kobe
Tee212
Lead Assistant

Post#90 » by Tee212 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:06 am

John Long wrote:
Tee212 wrote:
Dr Aki wrote:
today's game

kobe 7-20 FG

Facts are facts buddy. Kobe shared the ball tonight and we managed to get our first win of the season. I love Kobe like every other laker fan out there, but the team comes first. I hope Kobe keeps sharing the ball, the team is more fun to watch that way, 20 shots is more than enough for the 19 year veteran.

i thought you said he just care about points? why soo little tonight? facts are what happened tonight buddy
John Long
Bench Warmer

Post#91 » by John Long » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:27 am

Tee212 wrote:
John Long wrote:
Tee212 wrote:

i thought you said he just care about points? why soo little tonight? facts are what happened tonight buddy

When did I say he only cares about points?
Tee212
Lead Assistant

Post#92 » by Tee212 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:51 am

John Long wrote:

set yourself up for that one
John Long
Bench Warmer

Post#93 » by John Long » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:17 am

Tee212 wrote:
John Long wrote:

set yourself up for that one

he shot 7 for 20 tonight, he shared the ball and we won. Enjoy the win.
Tonyism74
Starter
And1: 17

Post#94 » by Tonyism74 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:34 pm

Tee212 wrote:
John Long wrote:
Tee212 wrote:

I don't even know what type of argument you are trying to make.
Yes, im posting all over again!
LakerLegendMikeSmrek
Sophomore
And1: 7

Post#95 » by LakerLegendMikeSmrek » Wed Dec 3, 2014 3:13 am

John Long wrote:
Tee212 wrote:
LakerLegendMikeSmrek wrote:
I've followed him his whole career. The truth of the matter and which LA fans do not wish to speak about is he is very stats driven. If he is a few points from 40, which he was a few nights ago, he is shooting. A few points from 40, 50, 60, etc. you're not going to see the ball. If he is one or two assists away from a double double, or triple double, he will pass, pass, pass, pass, and at the post game interview, he'll sell you on something about trusting his teammates and that he's going to keep giving them the ball. Kobe's play is as extreme as weather.

Down the stretch, he ignored Lin twice on open corner threes, shooting with people in his face. Why? Because he wasn't 1 or 2 assists away from a triple. Kobe's career numbers would have been so much more efficient if he just plays the right way. I love games when there is 6 minutes left and all of Kobe's numbers are neutral.. like low 20's, 5 boards, 5 dimes... That's because I know he'll make the right play down the stretch.

not sure if i agree with "stats driven" if that was true hell take less ill advised shots and drive for layups like lebron. if he shots a 4-29 night and HE WILL keep shooting...wouldnt he worry about his low %? on games where they are down by double digits 5 mins in the 4th hell chuck 3's to bring them back not caring about his shooting % or always taking the last second grenade shots to bail out the team from the 24 shot clock.

Kobe is very stats driven, I agree with what LakerLegendMikeSmrek said, I used to be in denial as well but after watching his every game and studying Kobe since the year 2000 I have had to accept that's just who Kobe is. The only thing I say as to your argument is that Kobe is not efficiency driven, because efficiency stats hadn't pick up steam when Kobe was coming up, and now that he knows he won't be much of an efficient scorer in terms of fg% anyway, he stopped giving a sh*t and just chucks away.

His latest passing binge is what I mean when he's stats driven. Shooting binge, passing binge.. For a guy as great and supposedly as intelligent as he is, it's mind boggling how he doesn't know to just play RIGHT. He got a triple double tonight, the wrong type of triple with 10 turnovers, that's because he's been forcing passes now that he has turned on his Magic Johnson mode. You can read Kobe like an open book. He will gun for another double digit assist game since that's the string he's on now. The moment the string is over, watch him go back to shooting binges.
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,818

Post#96 » by TyCobb » Wed Dec 3, 2014 3:23 am

Lol. Kobe is not stats driven. He just plays in extremes. It's all or nothing with the guy, always has been.
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
Tee212
Lead Assistant

Post#97 » by Tee212 » Wed Dec 3, 2014 3:50 am

John Long wrote:
Tee212 wrote:

not sure if i agree with "stats driven" if that was true hell take less ill advised shots and drive for layups like lebron. if he shots a 4-29 night and HE WILL keep shooting...wouldnt he worry about his low %? on games where they are down by double digits 5 mins in the 4th hell chuck 3's to bring them back not caring about his shooting % or always taking the last second grenade shots to bail out the team from the 24 shot clock.

Kobe is very stats driven, I agree with what LakerLegendMikeSmrek said, I used to be in denial as well but after watching his every game and studying Kobe since the year 2000 I have had to accept that's just who Kobe is. The only thing I say as to your argument is that Kobe is not efficiency driven, because efficiency stats hadn't pick up steam when Kobe was coming up, and now that he knows he won't be much of an efficient scorer in terms of fg% anyway, he stopped giving a sh*t and just chucks away.

His latest passing binge is what I mean when he's stats driven. Shooting binge, passing binge.. For a guy as great and supposedly as intelligent as he is, it's mind boggling how he doesn't know to just play RIGHT. He got a triple double tonight, the wrong type of triple with 10 turnovers, that's because he's been forcing passes now that he has turned on his Magic Johnson mode. You can read Kobe like an open book. He will gun for another double digit assist game since that's the string he's on now. The moment the string is over, watch him go back to shooting binges.

its nothing new, he did his kobe johnson thing with brown and dantoni. it takes time to playin with guys you never played with before. hes been thru so many different lineups and players its hard to form a solid team chemistry. so he shots alot he just cares about scoring? when he passes too much hes stat driven? just say you dont like kobe its easier.
rand0m
Junior
And1: 25

Post#98 » by rand0m » Wed Dec 3, 2014 9:47 pm

Tee212 wrote:
John Long wrote:

its nothing new, he did his kobe johnson thing with brown and dantoni. it takes time to playin with guys you never played with before. hes been thru so many different lineups and players its hard to form a solid team chemistry. so he shots alot he just cares about scoring? when he passes too much hes stat driven? just say you dont like kobe its easier.

+1. He's just trying to win games. If he was stats driven he'd be a lot less angry about losing. It's tough to play "just right" when you're on a bottom of the barrel lottery team. Especially when you're a guy who obsessed with winning.
Tee212
Lead Assistant

Post#99 » by Tee212 » Thu Dec 4, 2014 12:33 am

LakerLegendMikeSmrek since you watched kobe his whole career

"He will gun for another double digit assist game since that's the string he's on now" looks like he just wants to score tonight lol. youre soo dead on ...NOT.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Re: Tee212 Needs to Let It Go 

Post#100 » by Kilroy » Thu Dec 4, 2014 12:54 am

Not really sure what the point of this thread is anymore. But I do know we don't need a running commentary of what Kobe's doing in every game, while it's happening... That's what GTs are for.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...

Return to Los Angeles Lakers