Lakers Expected to Pursue Rondo in Free Agency

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

kblo247
RealGM
And1: 2,130

Re: Lakers Expected to Pursue Rondo in Free Agency 

Post#61 » by kblo247 » Sat Nov 8, 2014 1:33 am

Michael Lucky wrote:
kblo247 wrote:And also lmao at cp over rondo. cP isn't a superstar himself not has he ever kicked the **** out of an opposing pg in a playoff series. He's a regular season watch but he ain't a best player on any team with title aspirations which is why his ass ain't sniffed round 3.

first it was Boozer over Pau, now it's Rondo over Cp. What are you having?

What I said was boozer was better when he got dealt here and could have won a ring or two here as well years ago. Pau wasn't this mythical all nba guy with all stars and this and that. Hell Pau wasn't even pegged as good as KG, JO, Amare, or Boozer all those years ago and was less accomplished as an individual and in terms of team impact. I stick to that. Kobe dragged d leaguers over 500 back then, he would have easily took boozer, KG, Booz, Amare, or JO to the finals and to titles much like he did with Pau who still to this day has never won a playoff game without him.

And it's the truth, no one here can talk about how dominant cp has been in the playoffs vs his matchups or even vs Deron when they were thought of as 1 a/b because it never happened. He never stepped up and showed it when it counts. The gap between him and his counterparts is laughable to the point he's always canceled or beat. It's not Kobe vs Manu in the playoffs when it matters or Shaq vs Sabonis/Vlade. Everyone he plays basically washes him which stops his teams from advancing. And to top it off he's never played a full season in his career himself. He has to be your second best guy which he would have been here or should be with the clips
SlimShady83
General Manager
And1: 1,175

Post#62 » by SlimShady83 » Sat Nov 8, 2014 1:41 am

My god. Some of you guys really, really got to stop worrying about guys who are almost 30 and or are 30 +

Seriously guys stop worrying about guys ages. Between the ages of I'd say 27-32 most guys are in their primes and these are the guys we should be going after. Yes it would be great to get younger and younger, but the Lakers are a win now team, not a win later team.

Go for Rondo. I'm in.
Bring back Defense
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#63 » by DEEP3CL » Sat Nov 8, 2014 2:01 am

Penberthy wrote:Rondo Farmar
Kobe Clarkson
Swag #5 pick
Randle Kelly
Marc or Asik, Hou 1st, Sacre

Nbadraft.net has Stanley Johnson at 5. He looks nice http://www.nbadraft.net/players/stanley-johnson.

If Randle picks up a 3 pt shot while injured a la love and griffin, starting swag as well, plus that bench, the shooting is actually decent. If swags D is whack, put Stanley in.
Why are you listing Farmar?
I think two stints is enough. Jordan will never be a starting point in this league plus he'll be getting in his 30's soon.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#64 » by Slava » Sat Nov 8, 2014 3:16 am

ak7 wrote:Deron Williams has an ETO after this season, he could become a cheap(er) option for us, if he wants a new deal that gives him some security at the end of his prime.

If Deron opts out of his contract, his agent would hit him with a lead pipe.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
ak7
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,383

Post#65 » by ak7 » Sat Nov 8, 2014 4:09 am

Slava wrote:
ak7 wrote:Deron Williams has an ETO after this season, he could become a cheap(er) option for us, if he wants a new deal that gives him some security at the end of his prime.

He's 30. If he has a good year, he'd he silly to not and give up any shot at a long term deal. Otherwise he's 31 going into FA in 2016..
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,675

Post#66 » by Pointgod » Sat Nov 8, 2014 4:25 am

Rondo isn't coming here. This team is going no where and management has no clue what they're doing. Unless the Lakers offer him a contract that no one else is willing to don't expect any free agents to sign here until we start to look like a team that belongs in the NBA.
kblo247
RealGM

Post#67 » by kblo247 » Sat Nov 8, 2014 4:34 am

ak7 wrote:
Slava wrote:

He's 30. If he has a good year, he'd he silly to not and give up any shot at a long term deal. Otherwise he's 31 going into FA in 2016..

He'd risk a lockout and no check like last time. I doubt he chooses to play overseas again over just making close to 20mil in guaranteed money before it happens
cashflo
Senior
And1: 130

Post#68 » by cashflo » Sat Nov 8, 2014 4:44 am

Rondo was good in 2008
Fresh360Waves
Veteran
And1: 339

Post#69 » by Fresh360Waves » Sat Nov 8, 2014 6:22 am

Hector_Reyes_8 wrote:
Fresh360Waves wrote:Maybe around 3-4 years ago, yes. But now he is starting to reach the age of 30 and the injuries are red flags to me. I think it would be best to try and get that top 5 pick this year and draft Mudiay if he's available. As we all know, the NBA now is a guard-dominant league and the Lakers need a solid guard that will be a future franchise piece along with Randle and Clarkson.

I agree. The prospects in this year's draft are loaded with potential. I would love Mudiay, as he'd be a John Wall or Rondo-lite.

Yessir, but of course beggers can't be choosers either. If a nice big man prospect falls to the Lakers, I wouldn't mind that either.
Penberthy
Sixth Man
And1: 243

Post#70 » by Penberthy » Sat Nov 8, 2014 6:26 am

DEEP3CL wrote:
Kobe Clarkson
Swag #5 pick
Randle Kelly

Nbadraft.net has Stanley Johnson at 5. He looks nice http://www.nbadraft.net/players/stanley-johnson.

If Randle picks up a 3 pt shot while injured a la love and griffin, starting swag as well, plus that bench, the shooting is actually decent. If swags D is whack, put Stanley in.
I think two stints is enough. Jordan will never be a starting point in this league plus he'll be getting in his 30's soon.

I have him listed as a backup to Rondo. He's 27 and has veteran experience, which is a good thing with young Randle, Clarkson, #5, and Hou 1st having to play larger than normal roles for their age. He knows Kobe and Swag well (since no one else on the team does), can hit open 3s and guard any back up pg in the league. He can be signed cheap and is a good back up.
MAMBAEMD
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,622

Post#71 » by MAMBAEMD » Sun Nov 9, 2014 12:58 am

Rondo's strengths are defense, rebounding, and assists.
He's tough and intense, and very competitive.
He could be a draw for a superstar too since I assume they'd want to play with a competitive SOB who looks for teammates.
His weaknesses are that he's not a good outside shooter, and he is coming off of a major injury. He's also aging.
He's also been a bit of a headcase and has had run ins with his coaches.

I'd rather keep the money and spend it on max guys, unless we can get him at a reasonable price (~$10mill) and still have enough for two max guys.
Formerly lakerRD
Maple Green
Starter
And1: 79

Post#72 » by Maple Green » Sun Nov 9, 2014 6:27 am

lakerRD wrote:Rondo's strengths are defense, rebounding, and assists.
He's tough and intense, and very competitive.
He could be a draw for a superstar too since I assume they'd want to play with a competitive SOB who looks for teammates.
His weaknesses are that he's not a good outside shooter, and he is coming off of a major injury. He's also aging.
He's also been a bit of a headcase and has had run ins with his coaches.

I'd rather keep the money and spend it on max guys, unless we can get him at a reasonable price (~$10mill) and still have enough for two max guys.

Okay keep your money and celtics keep rondo.
3 advantages having Rondo compare 2 weaknesses
as other said 27-32 ages is a prime of mostly players.
ak7
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,383

Post#73 » by ak7 » Sun Nov 9, 2014 4:20 pm

kblo247 wrote:
ak7 wrote:
Slava wrote:

He'd risk a lockout and no check like last time. I doubt he chooses to play overseas again over just making close to 20mil in guaranteed money before it happens

? So would any other free agent in 2016. He will make more than 20 mill over his next deal quite easily, unless he has some type of catastrophic injury, it's a no brainer to exercise his ETO. Players want long-term security.
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#74 » by DEEP3CL » Sun Nov 9, 2014 5:36 pm

Penberthy wrote:
DEEP3CL wrote:
Kobe Clarkson
Swag #5 pick
Randle Kelly

I have him listed as a backup to Rondo. He's 27 and has veteran experience, which is a good thing with young Randle, Clarkson, #5, and Hou 1st having to play larger than normal roles for their age. He knows Kobe and Swag well (since no one else on the team does), can hit open 3s and guard any back up pg in the league. He can be signed cheap and is a good back up.
Valid points Pen, but here's the question....why didn't we sign Farmar to another cheap deal for a few years if the Lakers really wanted him around ?
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
kblo247
RealGM

Post#75 » by kblo247 » Sun Nov 9, 2014 10:07 pm

DEEP3CL wrote:
Penberthy wrote:
DEEP3CL wrote:Why are you listing Farmar?

Valid points Pen, but here's the question....why didn't we sign Farmar to another cheap deal for a few years if the Lakers really wanted him around ?

Farmar chose to leave like last time. Different reasons this go around, but he still chose to leave like when he chose to play overseas or comeback to the nba. He always has his own reasons and beliefs. I also honestly do believe that had we gotten Melo, he would have stayed to start here. He had no interest in staying to back up Lin IMO
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#76 » by Slava » Sun Nov 9, 2014 11:46 pm

kblo247 wrote:
DEEP3CL wrote:
Penberthy wrote:

Farmar chose to leave like last time. Different reasons this go around, but he still chose to leave like when he chose to play overseas or comeback to the nba. He always has his own reasons and beliefs. I also honestly do believe that had we gotten Melo, he would have stayed to start here. He had no interest in staying to back up Lin IMO

No he said himself he did not receive any offer from the lakers so he had to move on. Rightfully so if he can't stay fit for more than a week at a time.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
kblo247
RealGM

Post#77 » by kblo247 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:56 am

Thanks for that tip.

I figured he was just like Young and Hill. They got no offer from LA until Melo had all but made up his mind. They fielded offers from other teams but waited, and I figured he being well him, was impatient
Penberthy
Sixth Man
And1: 243

Post#78 » by Penberthy » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:02 am

Maybe the stupid FO actually believed they were going to get 15 mpg from Nash behind Lin? I mean can you really go into a meeting with a straight face offering Farmar 3rd string behind a cripple and invalid?

Also like the guy above said. Given the chance to stay in LA and play for a chip w the clips OR wait and see if the lakers offer, I can see why he did what he did.
One Love
Starter
And1: 290

Post#79 » by One Love » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:33 pm

Why would we want a PG that is leading the league in rebounds, assists & steals at his position... You guys really need to stop focusing on the next Kobe/Shaq combo and putting some talent on the floor... Superstars are not very common but you can compete with All Stars... Rondo would change the entire game for our bigs and get them easy buckets... Lowry made $12 million last year... The salary cap will be $80 million in two years... I would pay my starting PG $12 to $15 million ALL DAY LONG...
LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Post#80 » by LApwnd » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:27 pm

cashflo wrote:Rondo was good in 2008

surrounded by 3 future HOF :lol:

Return to Los Angeles Lakers