ImageImageImageImageImage

Gary Payton NAILED IT about Kobe, Scott and this team

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

chefy
Head Coach
And1: 650

Re: Gary Payton NAILED IT about Kobe, Scott and this team 

Post#21 » by chefy » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:43 pm

this started with that espn **** kobe should know better tho smh. like i said on the last GT kobe's not being a good leader right now.

smh on people depending kobe's chucking and saying our roster is crap anyway.
leeprettyp
Assistant Coach
And1: 680

Post#22 » by leeprettyp » Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:15 pm

I'm not solely placing the blame on Kobe myself. But he does play a part in it and I'm surprised other posters arent bringing up the Scott mismanaging on minutes here. I understand Nick Young is hurt but what good does a tired leg kobe do us in the 4th quarters. he shouldn't step back on the court until at least the 4-5 minute mark. Him having his legs is essential to closing some of these games. If in the process the other guys get blown out or the game gets out of hand, just call it a night and dont put him back in that game.
Asianiac_24
General Manager
And1: 3,597

Post#23 » by Asianiac_24 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:41 am

Kobe has to realize that he isn't the dominant player he was anymore. He needs to tune it down and change his game, he is shooting sub-40% from the field. IDC how bad the roster is, that is plain unacceptable.
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,231

Post#24 » by crazyeights » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:25 am

I gotta admit with Kobe it's correlation not causation: we suck so Kobe shoots more not so much because.
myersia
Analyst
And1: 788

Gary Payton NAILED IT about Kobe, Scott and this team 

Post#25 » by myersia » Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:34 pm

I'm going to get ripped for this post. I have to say that Kobe seems different this year. Almost as if he really doesn't care about winning anymore. His body language just looks so much different and the passion just isn't the same. I know he's dedicated himself to coming back but it almost looks like he is chasing stats now and that he has already given up on winning with the current roster which I understand. I Iove kobe but I just wonder if he really cares anymore or if he is just playing to the end? He looks great on he court but that passion just seems different. Maybe he has got used to us sucking lol. I mean he was sick today. Maybe I'm overacting
b shaw20
Bench Warmer
And1: 60

Post#26 » by b shaw20 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:31 pm

On this particular team, whether kobe shoots too much or is not the real issue. The overall talent on this team is not good enough to be relevant in the West. On offense, we have no room for error to win on most nights and it has to start with your best player. Whether Kobe shoots 15 times or 37 times, he HAS to be EFFICIENT. This means he has to take good, smart shots. If he is not smart enough to realize that he and his team are not as good as the early days, its on him.

Yes, he is no longer "teen wolf" who can do it all. And bottom line, whether we could win games here and there with him scoring 40 -- its not the brand of basketball I want to watch. The Lakers are bigger than Kobe Bryant to me and watching him demand the ball, only to take some really low percentage shots -- its just not good for team basketball.

Not hard too see this season stands to be one of the worse if not THE worst of all time for us. Both from a win loss stand point and from a team identity POV. Something will have to give sooner or later because I don't see how the franchise or Kobe can tolerate being the laughingstock of the NBA.
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,676

Post#27 » by Pointgod » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:17 pm

Payton is exactly talking about revolutionary stuff here. Kobe is playing with **** garbage. Take him off the team and they're worse than the Sixers who are purposely trying to tank. He could limit himself to 10 shots a game and go out of his way to pass and setup he his teammates and we'd still get blown out every game. Does Kobe shoot too much, Yes, does is contribute to wins or losses? Absolutely not. He's not playing with any elite talent here so what do people expect? I swear Kobe is the only player in history where people actually think he can magically make his team win just by taking less shots.
Doormatt
RealGM
And1: 2,013

Post#28 » by Doormatt » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:34 am

fun fact the lakers are 16th in ORTG, while there defense is the worst in the league by over 4 points per 100.

our defense is so **** garbage, it might be the worst thing ive ever seen in my entire life.

but apparently how many times kobe shoots is more important than that.
#doorgek
MAMBAEMD
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,622

Post#29 » by MAMBAEMD » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:02 am

I definitely want to see the ball move around more, but if it's a choice of watching Kobe shoot or Sacre shoot, I'd rather watch Kobe shoot.
Formerly lakerRD
TruSkool
Lead Assistant
And1: 253

Post#30 » by TruSkool » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:39 pm

can you imagine payton and kg coaching a team? they would make rosters cry
KobeKenobi
Senior
And1: 222

Post#31 » by KobeKenobi » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:51 pm

I mean a guy on that panel said "It's been about 5 years since Kobe was able to will a game in the 4th quarter."

Does he realize Kobe won 2 rings in the last 5 years. 2012-2013 season Kobe absolutely willed the Lakers into the playoffs.
Tonyism74
Starter
And1: 17

Post#32 » by Tonyism74 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:32 pm

KobeKenobi wrote:I mean a guy on that panel said "It's been about 5 years since Kobe was able to will a game in the 4th quarter."

Does he realize Kobe won 2 rings in the last 5 years. 2012-2013 season Kobe absolutely willed the Lakers into the playoffs.

I heard that too...but if you are giving him credit for winning, you should hold him accountable for the losses. No great player sticks to their guns; they do what they need to get the wins. Kobe's way has worked in the past...but his older, went through 2 serious injuries after the season you mentioned above, and the young guys are getting pretty damn good. The playing field is being equalized. He needs to find different ways to win for this "genius" to shine.
Yes, im posting all over again!
Jedi32
Head Coach
And1: 6,286

Post#33 » by Jedi32 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:04 pm

Pointgod wrote:Payton is exactly talking about revolutionary stuff here. Kobe is playing with **** garbage. Take him off the team and they're worse than the Sixers who are purposely trying to tank. He could limit himself to 10 shots a game and go out of his way to pass and setup he his teammates and we'd still get blown out every game. Does Kobe shoot too much, Yes, does is contribute to wins or losses? Absolutely not. He's not playing with any elite talent here so what do people expect? I swear Kobe is the only player in history where people actually think he can magically make his team win just by taking less shots.

Exactly. It sounds dumb and redundant at this point to hear people complain about his shooting on this team. He has shown he can carry trash to the playoffs in a tough west, he has proven that with sufficient help he can bring you rings. This team is just not that talented it's not a dig it's truth.
Fresh360Waves
Veteran
And1: 339

Post#34 » by Fresh360Waves » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:13 pm

myersia wrote:I'm going to get ripped for this post. I have to say that Kobe seems different this year. Almost as if he really doesn't care about winning anymore. His body language just looks so much different and the passion just isn't the same. I know he's dedicated himself to coming back but it almost looks like he is chasing stats now and that he has already given up on winning with the current roster which I understand. I Iove kobe but I just wonder if he really cares anymore or if he is just playing to the end? He looks great on he court but that passion just seems different. Maybe he has got used to us sucking lol. I mean he was sick today. Maybe I'm overacting

There's no need for you to get ripped. I think you're right. Kobe is just done mentally and knows the Lakers won't go anywhere anytime soon. Fortunately for him he is getting a big pay check and has those endorsements.
Mamba Venom
RealGM
And1: 580

Post#35 » by Mamba Venom » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:12 pm

Fresh360Waves wrote:
myersia wrote:I'm going to get ripped for this post. I have to say that Kobe seems different this year. Almost as if he really doesn't care about winning anymore. His body language just looks so much different and the passion just isn't the same. I know he's dedicated himself to coming back but it almost looks like he is chasing stats now and that he has already given up on winning with the current roster which I understand. I Iove kobe but I just wonder if he really cares anymore or if he is just playing to the end? He looks great on he court but that passion just seems different. Maybe he has got used to us sucking lol. I mean he was sick today. Maybe I'm overacting

There's no need for you to get ripped. I think you're right. Kobe is just done mentally and knows the Lakers won't go anywhere anytime soon. Fortunately for him he is getting a big pay check and has those endorsements.

Kobe is putting in max effort. The rest of the Lakers are not. We have seen him fly over court side to get a loose ball. He is 36 and coming off of 2 major injuries. It will take another 6 weeks before Kobe gets comfortable. Kobe is leading the team in steals and he is our best defender. He does this while generating 40% of the offense. That is a ton of weight to be on his shoulders.

This season try to enjoy the process. We are headed for top5 lotto pick + Randle 3m + Rockets pick + Kobe 23.5 + Young 5 + tons of cap space. The worst thing Laker fans and the media can do is throw a wrench in Mitch's plan. The best thing we can do is hope for the next Worthy/Duncan high impact #1 lotto pick.

Do you really expect this team with Nash and Randle injured to be in the play-offs?
Lakers are 22-3 in OT last 6 seasons:Kobe best OT closer!
Mamba Venom
RealGM
And1: 580

Post#36 » by Mamba Venom » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:21 pm

KobeKenobi wrote:I mean a guy on that panel said "It's been about 5 years since Kobe was able to will a game in the 4th quarter."

It took 7 years between 2002 and 2009. We are reloading with young talent + Kobe. Kobe will take on Kareem's role in the next Laker championship team. Kobe will have to keep fighting until he is 40 or so to win #'s 6 and 7. Could a Top5 pick + Randle + max FA signin bring the same success that Magic and Worthy brought LA? I don't know. But I want to find out. It would be a devastating blow to lose the top 5 pick. Okafor would look great in purple and gold next to Randle. Kobe thrives with a solid C and PF. His teammate Winslow is looking good at SF too.

When you get depressed about the Lakers watch NCAA and think about next years Lakers
Lakers are 22-3 in OT last 6 seasons:Kobe best OT closer!
Fresh360Waves
Veteran
And1: 339

Post#37 » by Fresh360Waves » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:00 am

Mamba Venom wrote:
Fresh360Waves wrote:

Kobe is putting in max effort. The rest of the Lakers are not. We have seen him fly over court side to get a loose ball. He is 36 and coming off of 2 major injuries. It will take another 6 weeks before Kobe gets comfortable. Kobe is leading the team in steals and he is our best defender. He does this while generating 40% of the offense. That is a ton of weight to be on his shoulders.

This season try to enjoy the process. We are headed for top5 lotto pick + Randle 3m + Rockets pick + Kobe 23.5 + Young 5 + tons of cap space. The worst thing Laker fans and the media can do is throw a wrench in Mitch's plan. The best thing we can do is hope for the next Worthy/Duncan high impact #1 lotto pick.

Do you really expect this team with Nash and Randle injured to be in the play-offs?

Of course I don't expect them to be in the playoffs. But one question, are we really going to get the HOU pick? It's top 14 protected and HOU is playing pretty well right now.
victorhe
Pro Prospect
And1: 73

Post#38 » by victorhe » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:26 am

Man, I wonder how the team could improve its defense? Like many of you said, this is the most important question now. A rim protector is really needed. I know Davis could do his part, but hope another big 7 foot tall guy could somehow just drop from the sky and block every single shot for the Lakers. That worst defensive team is quite depressing despite if they want could win or not. Obviously, the perimeter defense could be improved too.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers