Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Kevin Ding goes in on B Scott 

Post#1 » by Slava » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:54 pm

Some tidbits:

Scott must lead Kobe Bryant if he wants the others to follow. Not just get along. Not just offer license and liberty. Lead.

And Scott's ledger on that front so far is as bad as the Lakers' one-win record under him, the worst 10-game start in franchise history.

There is a fundamental problem with the template.

You want to build the team around Bryant's free rein on offense while he is encouraged to "rest"—Scott's own word—on defense, yet every other guy is being held to fantastic standards that must be met for the team to overachieve?

How is anyone besides Kobe ever going to think that's cool? Resentment is bound to build, especially when Bryant is so unabashed in competitive zeal that he described his view on his teammates' passivity Sunday night thus: "Can't just sit back and watch crime happen."

Scott riding Bryant for so many sloppy extra minutes Nov. 4 against the visiting Phoenix Suns—he'd predetermined that the lack of games afterward meant Bryant could go longer—is not building a team. It reeks of desperation and undermines the rest of the players—besides endangering Bryant for the long haul of the season (and making him tired and making it less likely to win that game down the stretch anyway).

The whole thing, deep down, doesn't make Bryant happy either. He has learned most from the push and pull of Phil Jackson, the cross-denunciations from Tex Winter and the stubborn self-worth of Derek Fisher that his success doesn't come courtesy of yes men.

Kevin Ding | Bleacher Report
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,818

Re: Kevin Ding goes in on B Scott 

Post#2 » by TyCobb » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:10 pm

But is winning 20 out of 82 games really that important?

Scott's focus should be entirely on turning current players into trade-able assets.
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Post#3 » by LApwnd » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:13 pm

Its ironic, if i'm using it right that Scott use to have all the answers/adjustments last season in his post game analysis when he was with Time Warner.....and now when it comes to actual application he's just as much a failure as MDA if not more. Also this should help Magic shut his pie hole too :lol:
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#4 » by Kilroy » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:22 pm

TyCobb wrote:But is winning 20 out of 82 games really that important?

Scott's focus should be entirely on turning current players into trade-able assets.

I agree and as much as I don't blame Kobe's shooting for much of our current struggles, the best way to turn our current players into trade-able assets is to sit Kobe... Which would in fact go a long way to proving he can lead Kobe.

We'd likely not win another game, but any player that was being held in check by Kobe's presence on the floor would have an opportunity to show his value...

Right now the only players worth anything are the ones we'd like to keep... Randle, Davis, and Hill... And unfortunately, they all play the same position.

Linn might still hold some value, but who knows.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#5 » by ChokeFasncists » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:54 pm

"I'm more than willing to sit back. If you think I want to shoot as many times or be as aggressive at 36 years old, you're freakin' crazy."

In other words…

Byron, (and Jeremy!) help me.

D'Antoni took every minute Bryant was willing to give until the Achilles tendon rupture (Bryant's minutes log leading up it: 47:37, 47:04, 42:32, 47:20, 41:06, 48:00, then 44:54 at the time of the rupture).

That's crime right there.
it's the coach's job to build a real team with what pieces he has.

Use it to build this team—a team that can indulge, overcome and, above all, include Kobe.

Truly!
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,231

Post#6 » by crazyeights » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:10 pm

LApwnd wrote:Its ironic, if i'm using it right that Scott use to have all the answers/adjustments last season in his post game analysis when he was with Time Warner.....and now when it comes to actual application he's just as much a failure as MDA if not more. Also this should help Magic shut his pie hole too :lol:

The only way to make this fair would be to get MDA to do post-game shows on TWC to give his expert coaching opinion on what the Lakers can do to improve defensively.
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,675

Post#7 » by Pointgod » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:39 pm

LApwnd wrote:Its ironic, if i'm using it right that Scott use to have all the answers/adjustments last season in his post game analysis when he was with Time Warner.....and now when it comes to actual application he's just as much a failure as MDA if not more. Also this should help Magic shut his pie hole too :lol:

Maybe that should tell you something about the actual roster more than the coach.
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,231

Post#8 » by crazyeights » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:45 pm

It also tells you something about "analysts."
chefy
Head Coach
And1: 650

Post#9 » by chefy » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:37 am