ImageImageImageImageImage

Pau: Lakers offer included a no trade clause

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

Mamba Venom
RealGM
And1: 580

Re: Pau: Lakers offer included a no trade clause 

Post#21 » by Mamba Venom » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:51 pm

dockingsched wrote:The bulls were at staples last night taking on the clips. Pau was hurt and didn't play but he spoke to reporters pre game. One interesting thing he mentioned that they were taking about on the radio was that the lakers offered him a no trade clause in the contract he ultimately passed on.

Any thoughts?

If I remember correctly the reported offer was a two yr deal over 20 mil. This along with the kobe extension solidifes my belief that the lakers have no real plans to make any big moves this upcoming summer and are looking two yrs down the road.

Lakers made that offer for Kobe. They hoped Nash was healthy. They hoped Healthy Kobe, Pau, Nash, Randle, Young would be better than 2012-13 team. They also watched what the Spurs did when you keep a championship core together. I am upset Gasol left. If he stayed he would have had his # retired. It was a 3 year void after Phil left. But that is what happens when an all-time great. They hired B-Scott who doesn't like 3s and loves Kareem. I think Gasol would have chosen the Lakers if he played for Scott last year instead of D'Antonie who threw Gasol under the bus right after he was hired.
Lakers are 22-3 in OT last 6 seasons:Kobe best OT closer!
Doormatt
RealGM
And1: 2,013

Post#22 » by Doormatt » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:06 pm

Kilroy wrote:So Dwight went to a better team too... Happy for him?

dwight was a douchebag and didnt help us win anything. pau was a class act 100% of the time and was a part of two title teams, how can you even compare them?
#doorgek
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,231

Post#23 » by crazyeights » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:22 pm

madmaxmedia wrote:Not that they'd be 10-1 or anything, but I wonder how the team would be right now if they had Pau and a healthy Nick Young all year.

Probably closer to .500.
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#24 » by crazyeights » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:43 pm

kblo247 wrote:
Kilroy wrote:Thoughts? Pau's a douche.

I have no problem with him turning them down. I get it, they **** him over and brought him back into a **** up situation when the deal fell apart and he was back at media day shortly after. He took being benched, and everything else.

To this point also, when he played for Mike Brown the 2nd training camp...people forget how the Princeton offense we were supposed to run was going to really get Pau involved again. He seemed to have been tentatively excited about the season and feeling confident--then we went and canned Brown 5 games in only to replace him with someone completely antithetical to Pau's skillset in MDA....

The common wisdom was of course the Lakers would trade Pau, and either through the tail wagging the dog, or through real trade discussions, that led to the tumultuous later days of his tenure. (Exacerbated by the benching he got from MDA.)

So let's recap:

-The Lakers were dark horse contenders
-Bynum went down
-We traded for Pau
-Became a legitimate contender
-Lost to Boston (which Pau was largely blamed for)
-Pau came back stronger the next year and after KG got injured we had an easy time in the Finals
-Pau redeems himself by beating Boston in 7(Pau hit that crazy near-travel fadeaway in the 4th)
-Swept by Dallas (which Pau is largely blamed for)
-CP3 deal backfires
-Pau remains on the Lakers but is forced to play out of position at this point in his career as Mike Brown plays both he and Bynum
-Lose in the playoffs again
-Nash/Dwight trades; Pau his 4th fiddle, but
-Get a new offense that's meant to highlight Pau
-Pau is in bad health, but Mike Brown--in an idiotic move--overworks him in training camp, setting him back even further
-Immediately Mike Brown gets fired
-Replaced by MDA who doesn't need a big slow PF
-Trade rumors are sparked--again
-Not traded, but benched at verbally sparring with the coach
-More trouble in paradise, Dwight demands more touches, Pau takes another back-seat
-Buss dies
-We're on the playoff bubble
-Kobe starts dictating where Pau gets the ball, essentially running the team
-We go on a crazy run
-Kobe ruptures his achilles
-Make the playoffs
-Get swept by the Spurs
-The next team has "best chemistry"
-Kobe returns, but injures his knee
-Lakers are ravaged by injuries
-Pau shows he can still play, but isn't a first option
-Wonders why he's even here
-Pau finally cuts ties, realizing he's been living in a past that no longer exists
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,744

Post#25 » by madmaxmedia » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:21 am

crazyeights wrote:
madmaxmedia wrote:Not that they'd be 10-1 or anything, but I wonder how the team would be right now if they had Pau and a healthy Nick Young all year.

Probably closer to .500.

I'd actually be okay with that, draft pick or no draft pick. It can be argued that would delay the rebuilding plan by 2 years, but unless you go full monty like the Sixers that is a crapshoot. To watch Kobe and Pau for their last 2 years (in career or in Laker uniform) would be better than watching many middle-of-the-road teams IMO.
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#26 » by crazyeights » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:25 am

madmaxmedia wrote:
crazyeights wrote:

Probably closer to .500.

I'd actually be okay with that, draft pick or no draft pick. It can be argued that would delay the rebuilding plan by 2 years, but unless you go full monty like the Sixers that is a crapshoot. To watch Kobe and Pau for their last 2 years (in career or in Laker uniform) would be better than watching many middle-of-the-road teams IMO.

I mean I agree. I'd have welcomed Pau back so we can end Kobe's tenure on a solid note, then do a proper rebuild.

Hell, if Randle weren't out for the year, I'd be clamoring for us to do anything necessary to make the playoffs. I just don't see how it's remotely possible anymore with our current assets to make any move of significance. So instead, the pick is the most valuable thing going forward for us.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,744

Post#27 » by madmaxmedia » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:29 am

crazyeights wrote:
madmaxmedia wrote:
crazyeights wrote:
Probably closer to .500.

I mean I agree. I'd have welcomed Pau back so we can end Kobe's tenure on a solid note, then do a proper rebuild.

Hell, if Randle weren't out for the year, I'd be clamoring for us to do anything necessary to make the playoffs. I just don't see how it's remotely possible anymore with our current assets to make any move of significance. So instead, the pick is the most valuable thing going forward for us.

The cupboards just way too bare now. And in my hypothetical question above I forgot about Randle, who would at the minimum be contributing depth in the front court, and in all likelihood be contributing more than that as the season went on. I guess I am feeling pretty nolstagic for the pre-Dwight Lakers around now...
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,190

Post#28 » by LAKESHOW » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:59 am

two yr deal over 20 mil...Im missing the part where some of you are saying the LAKERS screwed him over.
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
Sofa King
RealGM
And1: 3,034

Post#29 » by Sofa King » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:48 pm

LAKESHOW wrote:two yr deal over 20 mil...Im missing the part where some of you are saying the LAKERS screwed him over.

wasnt that the biggest contract available to him? No one else offered more.
ArC_man
Veteran
And1: 910

Post#30 » by ArC_man » Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:02 pm

If Pau stayed and we didn't get Boozer, does this team make the playoffs?
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#31 » by crazyeights » Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:56 pm

I still believe if we were healthy (Swaggy, Randle, Kelly, and Nash for 30 games) we'd had a puncher's chance.
LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Post#32 » by LApwnd » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:59 pm

crazyeights wrote:I still believe if we were healthy (Swaggy, Randle, Kelly, and Nash for 30 games) we'd had a puncher's chance.

Pau's a better team player then Boozer
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#33 » by crazyeights » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:42 pm

Yeah, we'd be even better had we retained Pau. Pau fits in much better next to Hill...although I'm not sure we could have signed them both.
kblo247
RealGM
And1: 2,130

Post#34 » by kblo247 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:07 am

crazyeights wrote:Yeah, we'd be even better had we retained Pau. Pau fits in much better next to Hill...although I'm not sure we could have signed them both.

Stretch Nash /// don't bring Kelly and X back and pay shakes all the same. You can even bring in Boozer and Davis. All that would matter is making Randle into a Worthy sf type
chefy
Head Coach
And1: 650

Post#35 » by chefy » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:13 am

Doormatt wrote:
Kilroy wrote:So Dwight went to a better team too... Happy for him?

dwight was a douchebag and didnt help us win anything. pau was a class act 100% of the time and was a part of two title teams, how can you even compare them?

Pau Gasol @paugasol · Nov 16
We've just arrived to LA. So many experiences, memories, friendships... Forever in my heart. Happy to be back for a few days! #CityOfAngels

Children's Hosp LA
‏@ChildrensLA
Former LA @Lakers star @PauGasol may have left LA, but he didn't forget about the kids of #CHLA.

https://twitter.com/ChildrensLA/status/ ... 3552579584
mcscotty
Rookie
And1: 486

Post#36 » by mcscotty » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:07 am

Pau is having an MVP type season. Went off last night for 46 pts and 18 boards. Just goes to show want a bunch of blow hard, know-it-alls we are on this forum. GaSoft....I think not. In fact, these new player tracking systems installed around arenas say he's an elite rim defender. Top 3 in the league. We haven't a clue boys....not a clue. Here we all are jonzin for Marc, and guess what? Pau is still better.
Speedlot
Lead Assistant
And1: 697

Post#37 » by Speedlot » Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:14 am

Not one post in this topic said Gasoft. But ok. Great necro
BEazy
RealGM
And1: 2,483

Post#38 » by BEazy » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:27 pm

No offense to Pau, but I'd rather have Marc. More physical and has almost the same skill set as Pau.

Long Live The Black Mamba. Kobe Bean Bryant Laker For Life. 8/24
mcscotty
Rookie
And1: 486

Post#39 » by mcscotty » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:02 pm

Speedlot wrote:Not one post in this topic said Gasoft. But ok. Great necro

It's a Pau rant in the most recent Pau thread. You've been around long enough to know proper netiquette.
aroba
Senior
And1: 43

Post#40 » by aroba » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:53 pm

ScHoolBoy B wrote:No offense to Pau, but I'd rather have Marc. More physical and has almost the same skill set as Pau.

Hum....er......NO :roll:

Return to Los Angeles Lakers