ImageImageImageImageImage

The Official 2015 Offseason Free Agency Thread

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Re: The Official 2015 Offseason Free Agency Thread 

Post#341 » by LApwnd » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:50 pm

One Love wrote:I am done waiting for the superstar... Buss is gone... Phil is gone... We need to start building like Dallas did & assume a superstar isn't coming... Dallas grabbed solid players on decent deal and won a title... We need to take the same approach and add pieces...

dall did play the super star flexibility option for years, they just never got anybody to accept their money till they overpaid Parsons. So while Dall isn't as prime s FA destionation from what it seems, having cap flexibility and saving it for that future star is a bad plan, it never worked for Dall, everything had to go right for them the year they won (which it did as all their shooters got hot). But the thing I admire about Dall year in and year out is that they managed cap flexibility all the meanwhile staying competitive, they hardly ever had "bad contracts" for the last 3yrs at least not till Calderon signed but he was worth his money when he was in Dall.
Mirjalovic
Head Coach
And1: 1,780

Post#342 » by Mirjalovic » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:37 pm

Who is better ? Kahwi-Middleton-Butler ?
shawn_hemp wrote: a guy who is far worse than Robert Covington in Brandon Ingram, and a guy who is no better than TJ McConnell or Tony Wroten in D'Angelo Russell.

Sixers fans...

TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,818

Post#343 » by TyCobb » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:48 pm

Leonard - Butler - Middleton
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
dipstick
Sixth Man
And1: 218

Post#344 » by dipstick » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:08 am

The question is, what are their values? 1st 2 probably get max, at least this year's max. What about Middleton? Looking at 2016, this year's max guys specifically restricted fa's might just take the qualifying offer and hit the market for a bigger payday next year. Of course, not too much of them are max worthy.
Laker_Kid
Starter
And1: 591

Post#345 » by Laker_Kid » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:43 pm

id sign butler for our starting sf this year. then slide him to sg and place durant at that spot. this would be a dream come true. lol.

sent from my LG-G2 using RealGM Forums mobile app
One Love
Starter
And1: 290

Post#346 » by One Love » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:15 pm

Am I the ONLY one who is starting to think that another summer league for Clarkson will be enough to start him next year... Clarkson at $800,000.00 at starting PG compared to a Rondo ($15 million) or Dragic ($20 million) would allow us to spend ALLOT of money on other NEEDS plus if Kobe has anything left in the tank that is a long backcourt (6'5" & 6'6")... I am starting to believe in this kid...
One Love
Starter

Post#347 » by One Love » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:19 pm

I also like Monte Ellis whose name hasn't come up allot... Dude is making $7.5 million a year & will opt out... I would prefer Monte at $10 million over Rondo at $15 million or Dragic at $20 million...
MAMBAEMD
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,622

Post#348 » by MAMBAEMD » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:56 pm

Given the news about the 2016 cap projection (it is going up by a ton), we'd be smart to wait another year.
I'm not sure it is a good idea to throw boat loads of money at Rondo, for a multi-year contract, or even Dragic, where we can go for 2, maybe 3 max players, in 2016 and then 2017.
Formerly lakerRD
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,818

Post#349 » by TyCobb » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:43 pm

I'm not so sure. All it means is that the max players are gonna get a bigger max deal and eat up more of the cap. We'll have a better idea how to approach the offseason once the lottery is determined.
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
MAMBAEMD
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,622

Post#350 » by MAMBAEMD » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:37 pm

Okay. That makes sense.
I was thinking that if the cap is higher, that would mean that we can potentially sign more than one max player, and that might entice somebody like Durant to jump ship and come here in '16.
Formerly lakerRD
dipstick
Sixth Man
And1: 218

Post#351 » by dipstick » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:50 pm

lakerRD wrote:Okay. That makes sense.
I was thinking that if the cap is higher, that would mean that we can potentially sign more than one max player, and that might entice somebody like Durant to jump ship and come here in '16.

Because of the large increase in the cap, we will still be able to spend on multi year deals this year and still be able to max out a player under the new cap in 2016, and still 0ffer Kobe a duncan/nowitzki type deal.

I know he doesn't like giving discounts but I'm sure he knows he's not worth 20-30m anymore Based on play alone.

I've made a computation on the numbers a page or 2 back.

No way we should do what we did last offseason and strike out. We have to start our rebuild now.we are fortunate enough to possibly have multiple picks, have a chance at building through free agency and have more money the following year for a superstar.
leeprettyp
Assistant Coach
And1: 680

Post#352 » by leeprettyp » Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:25 pm

IMO... This offseason these are the players you throw the max at and see if the teams their on match

Kawhi Leonard (restricted)
Jimmy Butler (restricted)
DeOndre Jordan (restricted) Yes his defensive impact alone makes it worth it. Also his athleticism and speed for a big is a big bonus
Kevin Love (unrestricted)

Of the players on the current roster I'm for bringing back

Clarkson (still on rookie deal)
Ed Davis (5-6mill long term contract) something like 3 year 15mill or 4year 18mill should be enough to bring him back right
Ellington (2-3mill)
Wes Johnson (I still think he's gonna be in that vet min to 2 mill price range)
Randle (sux he wasnt able to get the playing experience this year that Clarkson got)

Keep eyes open on that Durant situation.. Fellas would we be crazy to make a trade offer packaged around this to OKC?

Randle
Top 5 lottery pick this year
+fillers to make the numbers work

With a deal based around the top 2 even strike Presti interest?

Personally if we're lucky enough to keep our pick and it doesnt become the #1 pick (I'm such a huge fan of Okafor) But even him I'd consider moving for Durant if the opportunity presented itself.

But then again a young core of Randle, Okafor and Clarkson is really nice group to build upon for the future. But Durant (if that foot isnt a serious issue) would thrive here in L.A.
One Love
Starter

Post#353 » by One Love » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:52 pm

This pick is huge... Need to stay in top 5... All solid players... We will have a nice young core (Randle, Clarkson & _______) which would be fun to watch grow over the years... We will also have some money...

Lakeshow Baby...
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,513

Post#354 » by Michael Lucky » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:05 pm

No thanks to DeAndre and his defensive impact clearly isn't that great if his team is in the bottom half in defensive efficiency.
ALL HAIL
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,213

Post#355 » by ALL HAIL » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:14 pm

leeprettyp wrote:IMO... This offseason these are the players you throw the max at and see if the teams their on match

DeOndre Jordan (restricted) Yes his defensive impact alone makes it worth it. Also his athleticism and speed for a big is a big bonus

Ed Davis (5-6mill long term contract) something like 3 year 15mill or 4year 18mill should be enough to bring him back right
Ellington (2-3mill)
Randle (sux he wasnt able to get the playing experience this year that Clarkson got)

Keep eyes open on that Durant situation.. Fellas would we be crazy to make a trade offer packaged around this to OKC?

Randle

Personally if we're lucky enough to keep our pick and it doesnt become the #1 pick (I'm such a huge fan of Okafor) But even him I'd consider moving for Durant if the opportunity presented itself.

But then again a young core of Randle, Okafor and Clarkson is really nice group to build upon for the future. But Durant (if that foot isnt a serious issue) would thrive here in L.A.

Why Love? Seriously, why?
TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,811

Post#356 » by TylersLakers » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:18 pm

Max:

- Kawhi Leonard
- Jimmy Butler
- LaMarcus Aldridge
- DeAndre Jordan
- Kevin Love (in LA, as a second/first option, he'd get right back to the player he has been)
- Marc Gasol

8-14M:

- Rajon Rondo
- Goran Dragic
- Greg Monroe
- Khris Middleton
- Al Jefferson
- Paul Millsap
- Brandon Knight
- Draymond Green

Those are the players I would pay.
leeprettyp
Assistant Coach
And1: 680

Post#357 » by leeprettyp » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:24 pm

ALL HAIL wrote:
leeprettyp wrote:IMO... This offseason these are the players you throw the max at and see if the teams their on match

Ellington (2-3mill)

Randle

Why Love? Seriously, why?

Love max isnt more than 18mill I believe and I feel he's just a bad fit on that Cav's team. Love isnt the best player on a championship team but he definitely can be a core of one. With the salary cap skyrocketing soon. Thats not really a bad contract and we'll still be getting Love in his prime years. We still cant figure out what Randle's true position is with his ball handling ability if he was able to step out and extend his range could he possibly learn to play some SF? I do understand if your argument is Love would be in Randle's way out there if you want to keep Randle at the PF position.
TylersLakers
RealGM

Post#358 » by TylersLakers » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:48 am

Because of Randle, Love wouldn't be my first choice and first call when free agency opens, but if we could land him that would be huge. Randle could be that 3rd big to open the season.

You can add Danny Green to that 8-14M range. I would pay him.
kblo247
RealGM
And1: 2,130

Post#359 » by kblo247 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:47 am

TylersLakers wrote:Max:

- Kawhi Leonard
- Jimmy Butler
- LaMarcus Aldridge
- DeAndre Jordan
- Kevin Love (in LA, as a second/first option, he'd get right back to the player he has been)
- Marc Gasol

8-14M:

- Rajon Rondo
- Goran Dragic
- Greg Monroe
- Khris Middleton
- Al Jefferson
- Paul Millsap
- Brandon Knight
- Draymond Green

What player is that for Love? A meaningless high stat pad nightly with no d or wins? He did that while Bron was out and the Cavs outright sucked. He's just not a winning 1 or 2 guy on a team based off what he brings on the court or as a leader. He's fine with what he's relegated to, a lesser mans bosh

And you wouldn't pay Tobias Harris?
TylersLakers
RealGM

Post#360 » by TylersLakers » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:41 am

kblo247 wrote:
TylersLakers wrote:Max:

- Kawhi Leonard
- Jimmy Butler
- LaMarcus Aldridge
- DeAndre Jordan
- Marc Gasol

8-14M:

- Rajon Rondo
- Goran Dragic
- Greg Monroe
- Khris Middleton
- Al Jefferson
- Paul Millsap
- Brandon Knight
- Draymond Green

What player is that for Love? A meaningless high stat pad nightly with no d or wins? He did that while Bron was out and the Cavs outright sucked. He's just not a winning 1 or 2 guy on a team based off what he brings on the court or as a leader. He's fine with what he's relegated to, a lesser mans bosh

And you wouldn't pay Tobias Harris?

Ah, good question. I was actually thinking about that earlier today. The guy has dominated against us whenever he's played and looks like a keeper but price would be the biggest thing. If it's around 8-10M, I'd be okay with that especially considering the cap increase.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers