ImageImageImageImageImage

The Official 2015 Offseason Free Agency Thread

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

ALL HAIL
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,213

Re: The Official 2015 Offseason Free Agency Thread 

Post#401 » by ALL HAIL » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:03 am

I agree that Brook Lopez is much more essential if they draft Towns (instead of Okafor).

I don't, however, think that they have to overpay a free agent to become relevant again.

Having capspace is valuable for signing free agents but also for acquiring players through trade. I think this is a very viable course of action.

Lopez could be had via trade. A guy like OJ Mayo could, also, easily be had via trade. There are many other possibilities ...

Like the Lin trade last summer, a few teams may even be willing to attach a pick to rid themselves of salary.

- Milwaukee might be willing to trade Mayo to LA for an exchange of first round picks--that's moving from the 25 range to the 15 range.

If you move up to the 15 range, while first getting lucky enough to draft a guy like Towns, you can draft one of, if not, the most dynamic PGs of the draft -- Kris Dunn (one of my personal favorites).

- Brooklyn might be willing to take on a sign and traded Ed Davis and "sweetener" for Brook Lopez. I'd be willing to give them Clarkson if Kris Dunn's already been secured.

- An extremely overlooked player who will more than likely opt out and who could probably be signed to a tremendously valuable, bargain-basement deal is Jared Dudley.

I think Dudley would sign here for a starting promise and 16 million over three years.

- Chuck Hayes is a guy I'd target for a promise of consistent (albeit limited) minutes and very little money to teach defense to the youngsters.

- In the second round of the draft I'd hope that sharpshooting Micheal Frazier comes out early this year, and I'd grab a defensive swingman who can shoot with that lower second round pick: sleeper Taurean Prince (Baylor).

My team with [what I believe to be] very realistic trades and frugal signings:

PG - Kobe Bryant - Kris Dunn
SG - OJ Mayo - Michael Frazier
C - Brook Lopez - Karl Towns
PF - Chuck Hayes - Julius Randle
SF - Jared Dudley - Taurean Prince

Defensive/shooting veterans with something to prove backed up by hungry youngsters. Problem solved.
5ertwenty
Sophomore
And1: 27

Post#402 » by 5ertwenty » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:08 pm

I just had a look at some Kris Dunn highlights - how is this guy not ranked higher?
Jordan | Kobe | Kareem| Bird | Magic
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,815

Post#403 » by TyCobb » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:26 am

Because he's a turnover machine who can't shoot.
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
ALL HAIL
Lead Assistant

Post#404 » by ALL HAIL » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:43 am

5ertwenty wrote:I just had a look at some Kris Dunn highlights - how is this guy not ranked higher?

The primary reason Kris Dunn is rated lower than you would think with his skillset is because of his injury history.

Also, the mock draft sites, while informative, are very often, especially at this stage, full of it.

You have some sites ranking Dunn as low as 25, others as high as 12.

I could make a strong argument that he's the best PG in this draft--he's the best I've seen. Yes, I like him better than Russell.

So, although as Ty has pointed out, he averages over four turnovers a game and he shoots sub 70% from the free throw line, there are many other qualities he possesses that are elite. To ignore his strengths would be stubborn.

I've always seen him as a player that will shoot up the boards like Elfrid Payton did last year.

I still think he doesn't make it past Phila in the middle of the first round, but he'll probably go even higher.

If the Lakers were to pull off Towns, Dunn, Michael Frazier (or Rashad Vaughn), and Taurean Prince, the future would be in excellent hands.
Austincys21
Veteran
And1: 733

Post#405 » by Austincys21 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:40 am

I can see the Lakers looking at Hibbert if DJ doesn't work.
ALL HAIL
Lead Assistant

Post#406 » by ALL HAIL » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:11 am

Austincys21 wrote:I can see the Lakers looking at Hibbert if DJ doesn't work.

Yeah, I haven't really kept up with Hibbert all year, but I know there was speculation that he might opt out.

I don't know why he would do that this summer when he could make more money in 2016.

The only guys that would opt out this summer are guys who are having anomaly type seasons, guys who worry that they may not be able to top this year's numbers (ie. Jared Dudley), and injury-prone guys who worry that if they don't cash in now, they may be risking missing out on a boatload of money (ie Brook Lopez and Dudley).

The more I think about it, and the more Brook Lopez continues to beast in Brooklyn, he'll probably opt out.
Austincys21
Veteran

Post#407 » by Austincys21 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:33 am

ALL HAIL wrote:

Yeah, I haven't really kept up with Hibbert all year, but I know there was speculation that he might opt out.

I don't know why he would do that this summer when he could make more money in 2016.

The only guys that would opt out this summer are guys who are having anomaly type seasons, guys who worry that they may not be able to top this year's numbers (ie. Jared Dudley), and injury-prone guys who worry that if they don't cash in now, they may be risking missing out on a boatload of money (ie Brook Lopez and Dudley).

The more I think about it, and the more Brook Lopez continues to beast in Brooklyn, he'll probably opt out.

I think he can get a similar salary if he opts out. It may be in his best interest do do so now rather wait out a year of a potential injury. I think a team like the Lakers or Knicks will give him 12-13m a year
Austincys21
Veteran

Post#408 » by Austincys21 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:34 am

Randle compliments Hibbert pretty well
ALL HAIL
Lead Assistant

Post#409 » by ALL HAIL » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:34 am

Austincys21 wrote:
ALL HAIL wrote:

I think he can get a similar salary if he opts out. It may be in his best interest do do so now rather wait out a year of a potential injury. I think a team like the Lakers or Knicks will give him 12-13m a year

Brook Lopez or Hibbert?
Austincys21
Veteran

Post#410 » by Austincys21 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:59 am

ALL HAIL wrote:
Austincys21 wrote:
ALL HAIL wrote:Yeah, I haven't really kept up with Hibbert all year, but I know there was speculation that he might opt out.

Brook Lopez or Hibbert?

We'll both but I was talkin bout Hibbert. Imo i would take Hibbert over Lopez. I'd even take Robin over Brook.
ALL HAIL
Lead Assistant

Post#411 » by ALL HAIL » Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:14 am

Hibbert's not particularly injury prone though.

If he has just a solid season next year on what looks to be a very much improved Pacers team, he'll fetch a tremendous payday next summer.

We'll see.
One Love
Starter
And1: 290

Post#412 » by One Love » Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:00 pm

I am not sure why Okafur & Towns discussions continue as we will be lucky to stay in the top 5 therefore our choices will be Mudiay, Stanley, Winslow, WCS or Euro Sensation... In terms of centers if we draft PG or SF the best available center in the league is Asik... He blocks, rebounds, defends & is a UFA & could be had a decent contract... Gasol & LA aren't coming... Lopez doesn't board & Hibb is DONE...

If we want size take WCS or if we don't sign Asik... Simple... I do think WCS is the next Tyson Chandler & would pair nicely with Randle... I am also cool with taking a SG/SF & grabbing Asik...

Lakeshow Baby...
LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Post#413 » by LApwnd » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:37 pm

One Love wrote:I am not sure why Okafur & Towns discussions continue as we will be lucky to stay in the top 5 therefore our choices will be Mudiay, Stanley, Winslow, WCS or Euro Sensation... In terms of centers if we draft PG or SF the best available center in the league is Asik... He blocks, rebounds, defends & is a UFA & could be had a decent contract... Gasol & LA aren't coming... Lopez doesn't board & Hibb is DONE...

If we want size take WCS or if we don't sign Asik... Simple... I do think WCS is the next Tyson Chandler & would pair nicely with Randle... I am also cool with taking a SG/SF & grabbing Asik...

Lakeshow Baby...

WCS isn't a top 5 talent....might as well just trade back if that's what you want.
Penberthy
Sixth Man
And1: 243

Post#414 » by Penberthy » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:16 pm

One Love wrote:I am not sure why Okafur & Towns discussions continue as we will be lucky to stay in the top 5 therefore our choices will be Mudiay, Stanley, Winslow, WCS or Euro Sensation... In terms of centers if we draft PG or SF the best available center in the league is Asik... He blocks, rebounds, defends & is a UFA & could be had a decent contract... Gasol & LA aren't coming... Lopez doesn't board & Hibb is DONE...

Lakeshow Baby...

The team who won the lottery the last five years finished with the following record:
9th worst
3rd worst
3rd worst
8th worst
5th worst
thegamefritz
Sophomore
And1: 10

Post#415 » by thegamefritz » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:50 pm

if we get to pick #1 or #2 we pick Towns or Okafor. We pick PG in our 2nd 1st rd pick and a bigman in 2nd rd. We give Draymond Green Max and give $8-10mil to either Wes Matthews or Danny Green. We will sign a vet C and a PG.

Roster
C- K. TOWNS or J. OKAFOR/RYAN HOLLINS/Dakari JOHNSON
PF - J. RANDLE/ J.HILL
SF- DRAYMOND GREEN/N. YOUNG
SG-KOBE/D. GREEN or WES MATTHEWS
PG- J.CLARKSON, CJ WATSON, TYUS JONES OR DONNEL WRIGHT

WISHFUL THINKING ROSTER
C- K. TOWNS or J. OKAFOR/KENDRICK PERKINS/DAKARI JOHNSON
PF - J. RANDLE/ J.HILL
SF- KAWHI LEONARD OR JIMMY BUTLER /N. YOUNG

IF We pick between #3 to #5
I'd still like to pick a Big man like Willie Cauley Stein. Picking a PG like Russell or Mudiay will only hinder Jordan Clarkson's development, while Clarkson will never be elite, he can be like a George Hill PG.

Roster
C- WILLIE CAULEY STEIN/ RYAN HOLLINS/D. JOHNSON
PF - J. RANDLE/ J.HILL
SF- DRAYMOND GREEN/N. YOUNG
TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,809

Post#416 » by TylersLakers » Wed Apr 1, 2015 12:31 pm

One Love is 100% correct. At this stage of the game, Towns or Okafor (unless we get lucky on lottery night) are off the table.

If we stay at fourth, what would you wanna see done?

- Draft Mudiay, Johnson, or Winslow?
- Trade?

Personally I would go Mudiay but if we drop to 5th, trade.
Ckay
Head Coach
And1: 8,318

Post#417 » by Ckay » Thu Apr 2, 2015 11:11 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/CBSSportsNBA/status/583766060551114752[/tweet]
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,815

Post#418 » by TyCobb » Thu Apr 2, 2015 11:13 pm

Going to be a miserable offseason. First exercising Hill, now this...
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,231

Post#419 » by crazyeights » Thu Apr 2, 2015 11:31 pm

****. I didn't hear about Hill. Man we'd better keep the pick and score in the lottery.
EArl
RealGM
And1: 13,228

Post#420 » by EArl » Thu Apr 2, 2015 11:36 pm

What would be the point in exercising Hill? Can he be traded as an expiring next year?
Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing, Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before;

Return to Los Angeles Lakers