Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Zach Lowe on Kobe and the Lakers 

Post#1 » by Slava » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:53 pm

On Kobe:

Bryant is a great passer. That is what makes it so frustrating to watch him hijack L.A. possessions. Bryant passes as a last resort, when the extra defensive attention has made it too difficult for him to get off a makeable shot.

Again: He’s great at those passes. He’s a savant at anticipating defensive rotations, rather than reacting to ones that have already happened, and spotting the right player. These passes help. But they’re Old NBA passes that come only after an Old NBA scoring tactic has failed. They are almost a form of surrender.

Bryant made a pile of batshit-crazy shots against Atlanta, because he’s an incredibly skilled player capable of making batshit-crazy shots from 20 feet away with Thabo Sefolosha inside his jersey. He’s averaging more than eight foul shots per game, because even though he can’t get to the rim like he used to, Bryant is a damned artist when it comes to footwork, pump fakes, and pivot moves. He attacked the rim for a layup down the stretch of that Houston game with an explosion that was, frankly, astonishing given the two massive injuries he suffered in the last 18 months.

On Lakers' free agency:

The Lakers, for instance, showed initial interest in Lowry, but told him and his agent, Andy Miller, that they simply could not offer Lowry a contract until they heard a final answer from Anthony and James, Miller says. They contacted the agents for some of those other B-level players with similar tepid overtures, per several league sources. Stephenson told me the Lakers contacted him early in free agency but never followed up. Thomas says he badly wanted to be a Laker, but that the team showed no interest.

On The Future:

Part of being normal, at least for some teams, is chasing the B-level free agents — the Al Jeffersons and Lance Stephensons — while the glamour boys fight for the best guys. The Lakers get meetings with everyone, and they always will. That doesn’t mean they are the front-runner for any superstar, and to get there, they might have to beef up the roster first.

“I’m not going to tell you the only kind of free agent we’ll pursue is the superstar,” Kupchak says. “It depends on a lot of things — who you draft, who you trade for.”

The Lakers are far from the championship level to which they’ve become accustomed. They are in the wilderness, really, for the first time in the history of the franchise. There is no obvious way out — yet. In the meantime, they are still one of the best shows in the league — in their own way.

Zach Lowe | Grantland

Some of his opinions about Kobe's game are perfectly true and something we'll always wonder why. :lol:
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Jedi32
Head Coach
And1: 6,282

Re: Zach Lowe on Kobe and the Lakers 

Post#2 » by Jedi32 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:22 pm

I can understand waiting for Bron and Melo even though it didn't pay off. Glad to see we at least contacted some guys. An Al Jefferson type plus a Stephenson type would have done wonders for us this year.
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,301

Post#3 » by Dr Aki » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:59 pm

kobe, the guy with all the talent and still wants to do it the hard way
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#4 » by Kilroy » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:28 pm

Boozer is really the only consistent scorer on this team... Hill maybe second... The rest of the team can't be counted on to score 10pts on any given night.

I'd like Kobe to pass more too... I'd like to see us score more points. I'd like Lin to be a triple double threat, and Young and Ellington to be a 20pt threat every night... And Johnson, Hill, and Davis be double/double threats every night...
But the reality is, these guys just aren't those players... Maybe on teams with more talent and less defensive pressure a few of them would be... But together, they just aren't good enough take the pressure off each other and Kobe.

Remember when Kobe was logging triple-doubles a couple years ago? Who was he passing to... Mostly Pau and Howard... Both guys who are capable of moving without the ball and getting their own shot. But also Blake, Jamison, Meeks, Guys who can drain an open J pretty automatically. And with all those guys taking the pressure off... Glock, Ebanks, and Clark were being pretty consistent too.

I get what people are saying but I think they're missing the forest for the trees on this particular issue.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
ArC_man
Veteran
And1: 910

Post#5 » by ArC_man » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:46 pm

I really don't care how Kobe plays tbh. As a fan I want the team to succeed and I want Kobe to play well but the silver lining of every loss is we get closer to that much needed lottery pick.

More interesting to me is what the FO will do in this offseason. There are no superstars to sign, are we going to follow the plan to the end and keep signing 1 year deals until we can grab a superstar (hoping that our draft picks pan out from internal development)? Or are we going to get a couple of the mid-level players who want to be here? I was on the Lance Stephenson bandwagon this offseason but he's been terrible.
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,231

Post#6 » by crazyeights » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:36 pm

So glad we didn't get Lance. Dude had foolsgold written all over him.

As for Kob, something tells me after he passes Jordan, we'll see him raise what is essentially a career-low assisting average (not counting his first 3 seasons).
Penberthy
Sixth Man
And1: 243

Post#7 » by Penberthy » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:07 pm

Thomas would have been nice at 4 years 7 mil per.
Marionettetc
Sixth Man
And1: 969

Post#8 » by Marionettetc » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:44 pm

The one line in that piece sums up my feelings as a 20+ year Laker fan entirely.

Yes, I'm only rooting for Kobe like he's some sort of god dammed gladiator.

This team was done before the season even started, and I can only look forward to next year - and another potential lottery pick after the season ends.
Sofa King
RealGM
And1: 3,034

Post#9 » by Sofa King » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:00 pm

I am glad we didnt get Melo. Paying both Kobe and Melo to lose would be even more frustrating to watch. No matter how good Lebon is, I can not root for the guy. Hes just another guy you want to hate. Then again I felt the same way about Jordan when he played.

The Lakers seem to be going in the wrong direction. They still want Nash as part of their organization. Im curious to see what free agents Nash can attract or is Nash really just covertly sabotaging the Lakers.

Lakers really need to find other methods to get Durant, Westbrook, and Marc Gasol. Doesnt seem like anyone will commit to come here.
leeprettyp
Assistant Coach
And1: 680

Post#10 » by leeprettyp » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:20 pm

Kobe really had a chance to go down as the GREATEST basketball player ever but man his attitude and ego prevented that. But regardless he's still gonna go down as one of the 10 greatest to ever do it. I love everything he's given to this franchise for 19 years and wouldn't take anything back. But, man he's always been the way he is now and no and only now its coming back to bite us in the butt. Its not all of his fault but I know this isnt B.Scott idea to be playing him all these heavy minutes. Its Kobe just hopping up and checking himself into the game.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#11 » by ChokeFasncists » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:46 pm

^
At least he's helping out with the pick
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 40,946

Post#12 » by Sedale Threatt » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:07 am

I don't blame Kobe one bit for the isht show this team is. The talent level just isn't nearly good enough to compete.

That said, there seems to be something almost karmic in watching Kobe, given the way he has stuck to his preferred playing style so stubbornly over the years, getting marooned on a team where he's basically got license to jack up a bunch of horrendous shots that he's no longer got the ability to make at a respectable clip. Like a basketball crack addict at the end of his run.

His work ethic is irreproachable. His skill level is, or was, ridiculous. And yet, even for all the great memories and moments he's authored over the years, and the very real chance the Lakers will never have another player as good as him in my lifetime, I can't say I'm going to miss him. Even after all these years, I have just never been able to totally warm up to his playing style. Call it a matter of taste, I guess. How many hundreds and hundreds of times over the years he'd do something ridiculous and I'd think, "Yeah, but that was still a horshisht shot."

As much as I respected and feared him, and am grateful that I had the chance to watch him in his prime, I couldn't stand Jordan. (Pippen was my guy on those teams, by far.) So there's been something a little bittersweet that, as great as Kobe was, the cornerstone for my favorite team was basically a carbon copy watered down by about 10 percent. Oh well, a watered down carbon copy of Magic would have been too good to be true. One thing's for sure -- it's never, ever been dull.

As for the rest, always enjoy Lowe's perspective. And I like what the Lakers did this offseason, although Melo would have been a disaster -- swing for the fences, then roll it over for next year, or more probably try to line up for 2016. B-level guys are great, if you're already got an A-level guy -- legit, in his prime A-level, not on on-his-last-legs A-level like Kobe. But picking up Thomas or Stephenson (barf) wouldn't have done anything meaningful. Just going to have to suck it up for probably a couple of years and hope Mitch can continue doing a good job. (Side note: Always forget that we got Howard for a pick and Andrew freaking Bynum. Armed robbery.)

Just wish Mitch was more receptive to the notion of tanking for long-term benefit. Legitimately trying to win games this season is not just pointless and stupid, but harmful. I can tolerate losing with the prospect of a reward, but losing with nothing to show for it makes for a long, wasted year.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,693

Post#13 » by madmaxmedia » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:11 pm

leeprettyp wrote:Kobe really had a chance to go down as the GREATEST basketball player ever but man his attitude and ego prevented that. But regardless he's still gonna go down as one of the 10 greatest to ever do it. I love everything he's given to this franchise for 19 years and wouldn't take anything back. But, man he's always been the way he is now and no and only now its coming back to bite us in the butt. Its not all of his fault but I know this isnt B.Scott idea to be playing him all these heavy minutes. Its Kobe just hopping up and checking himself into the game.

His ego and attitude are also what drove him to reach those heights...
leeprettyp
Assistant Coach
And1: 680

Post#14 » by leeprettyp » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:31 am

madmaxmedia wrote:
leeprettyp wrote:Kobe really had a chance to go down as the GREATEST basketball player ever but man his attitude and ego prevented that. But regardless he's still gonna go down as one of the 10 greatest to ever do it. I love everything he's given to this franchise for 19 years and wouldn't take anything back. But, man he's always been the way he is now and no and only now its coming back to bite us in the butt. Its not all of his fault but I know this isnt B.Scott idea to be playing him all these heavy minutes. Its Kobe just hopping up and checking himself into the game.

Yep very true
kblo247
RealGM
And1: 2,130

Post#15 » by kblo247 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:56 am

madmaxmedia wrote:

Yep he was the first small to come out of high school and when he declared Phil Jackson went to the media and said the nba should stand for no boys allowed
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,932

Post#16 » by zimpy27 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:15 am

Lakers have a couple nice pieces, they just have to tank this season and next. Signing Kobe to the money he has guarantees a tank for 2 years anyway.

I'd say they should sign a couple 12 mill vet guys for 4 years and then sign some young players with potential and pick up draft picks for next 2 years. After 4 years the young talent will be asking for more just as the 12 mill players come off the books.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,674

Post#17 » by Pointgod » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:59 pm

What do some people expect from Kobe? He could pass to his hearts content but this team would still go nowhere considering the roster is just not talented. Sure Kobe chucks a lot but he's not the reason the Lakers are garbage. Basketball fans are brain washed into thinking that "than ball" is some magical recipe for success, they'd rather see a player lose playing passing the ball than trying to score. The other reason is that it's Kobe, he'll get hate no matter what he does. If this was LeBron chucking he'd get praised for being more assertive(which I'm is a good thing).

The other thing I got from this article is just how short sighted the Lakers management is. They could have had Thomas and Lance with roughly 6 million left over to take on salary for more picks. then they'd have room for a max contract when Nash expired. Instead they passed on these guys because they weren't "superstars". Instead of a young team with upward momentum we're hot garbage that no free agent would touch with a 10 foot pole
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,653

Post#18 » by dockingsched » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:19 pm

I think passing on Stephenson and Thomas shows the exact opposite of being short sighted
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,513

Post#19 » by Michael Lucky » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:29 pm

Never understood people's infatuation with Stephenson.
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,674

Post#20 » by Pointgod » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:37 pm

dockingsched wrote:I think passing on Stephenson and Thomas shows the exact opposite of being short sighted

Umm no. Lakers are looking for a quick fix. A superstar to fawn over them and take less money to sign with a **** team. Long term planning involves signing the pieces now that can grow into a team that will attract a superstar 2-3 years down the road. It's not like Thomas and Stephenson are over the hill with no room to improve

Return to Los Angeles Lakers