Price and Davis replaces Lin and Boozer in starting line-up

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

Laker_Kid
Starter
And1: 591

Re: Price and Davis replaces Lin and Boozer in starting line 

Post#121 » by Laker_Kid » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:35 am

dipstick wrote:
Penberthy wrote:I'm wondering if starting Price over Lin is a strategy to lower Lin's value to its rightful place (as a backup pg), and possibly sign him for around 5 mil per next year as a back up pg. As a back up, knowing his role, and that contract, I think its a good deal.

I think 5 mil was where he was if he had a decent season. With the way he is playing maybe its back to around 2-3m max.

sad part is, some dumbass will still offer him more.

Sent from my LG-D802 using RealGM Forums mobile app
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#122 » by ChokeFasncists » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:30 pm

madmaxmedia wrote:I think this article might illustrate what a lot of people see in Lin (even though it's talking about Yao Ming):

http://roadsandkingdoms.com/2014/show-me-the-yuan/

Sheng laughs as he recalled a young Yao traveling to Houston for the first time, not fully equipped for NBA’s star-focused ethos. The Rockets were a team, but they were a team being built around their towering center, and it took time for Yao—raised on conservative Chinese traditions—to realize that in sport sometimes it’s OK to be No. 1, to put yourself first, to dominate. It’s a lesson Sheng is hoping a generation of Chinese athletes will be quick to learn as they look to cash in on professional sports’ rising prominence in the world’s largest economy.

“We need bad boys,” Sheng says. “In sports sometimes you need bad boys. What previously was lacking a bit with Chinese athletes was the killer instinct. Yao was certainly lacking it a little bit. Our culture rewards the people who obey. But in sports, it’s actually about the ones who can risk it all, who—pardon my language—say ‘Just f*** it. I am going to go for it.’”

I think that last line sums up Swaggy P pretty well, does it not? He might succeed, he might fail, but you know when the situation arises he is gonna go for it, guns blazing.

Lin is Asian-American (as am I) and not native Chinese, but its a generally Asian cultural thing to fit in, don't make too much noise, be diligent, have respect, etc. In some ways its good, but the problem in basketball is that if you try too much to avoid mistakes and being respectful ("fitting in"), you end up failing out of lack of trying. Instead of having say a 50-50 chance of making a significant positive impact on a game, he ends up with only a 10% chance because he's trying too hard to play smart, defer, not make mistakes, etc. It's good to play mistake free basketball, it's probably bad to try too hard to not ever make any mistakes. Often you end up second-guessing and hesitating, and making mistakes because of that. Compounding this is the fact that he plays PG, which is even more so supposed to be the 'unselfish' position, except that his skill set is clearly that of a 1.5. His best skill is breaking down the defense which can lead to assists, which is different than being a prototypical floor general type.

Neither Swaggy P or Jeremy Lin will ever be all-star players either way, and if you look at their stat lines for the year they're not even that different (if you allow for their different positions.) But on a Laker squad that is not very good anyway, and desperately needs reasonably talented guys (like Young or Lin) to step up on any given night, Swaggy P's attitude will help the team more.

It's also why there's always talk of whether Lin's current team/situation is a good fit, how to maximize his talents, etc. If a guy has talent, he can find a way to contribute and fit in, but not if you worry too much about how to fit in. Because then you shrink your game in response to your perceptions about everyone else. Basketball is a team sport, but it also absolutely requires guys to play with assertiveness and step up. It's not a coincidence that we read it was Swaggy P pulling Jeremy aside and trying to help him with this, help him deal with Kobe.

I'm pretty much speculating about all of this of course, but this is what I see at least externally on the court.

Everyone says that Linsanity will never happen again, and it's true of course. But, Lin can approach the game and PLAY like that and at least have spurts of that KIND of success. That he is capable of. As soon as Nick Young came back from injury, he was a positive influence on the rest of team in more ways than just the numbers. That was actually true of Lin at one point (not on the Lakers though.)

There, I think I've probably said all about Jeremy Lin that I'll ever have to say again.

You're right, hesitating and overthinking, it could lead to self doubt and loss of confidence. OTOH, if he perfects what he wanted to do, it'd be really something. He's got all the tools. He just needs to get over the hump and to have them all happening at the same time with consistency.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
cw3k
Bench Warmer
And1: 503

Post#123 » by cw3k » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:14 am

Laker_Kid wrote:
dipstick wrote:
Penberthy wrote:I'm wondering if starting Price over Lin is a strategy to lower Lin's value to its rightful place (as a backup pg), and possibly sign him for around 5 mil per next year as a back up pg. As a back up, knowing his role, and that contract, I think its a good deal.

I think 5 mil was where he was if he had a decent season. With the way he is playing maybe its back to around 2-3m max.

Their contract is determine by the market. There is no such thing as overpaid or underpaid.

NBA is a business, so your value as a player is not only determine by their skill set but their marketability.
Penberthy
Sixth Man
And1: 243

Post#124 » by Penberthy » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:26 am

cw3k wrote:
Laker_Kid wrote:
dipstick wrote:

Their contract is determine by the market. There is no such thing as overpaid or underpaid.

NBA is a business, so your value as a player is not only determine by their skill set but their marketability.

So assets are never overvalued and bubbles don't exist in markets?
cw3k
Bench Warmer
And1: 503

Post#125 » by cw3k » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:36 am

Penberthy wrote:
cw3k wrote:
Laker_Kid wrote:sad part is, some dumbass will still offer him more.

So assets are never overvalued and bubbles don't exist in markets?

You are talking about the mass vs the pro. The Pro never loss any real money in the market. You can look at pro at the top, they make money during up or down market. It is the mass (the sheep) that loss money.

If skill set is all that matter, then Aaron Brooks shouldn't get pay minimum. He is getting pay minimum because he is not marketable.
Lorenzomax7
Rookie
And1: 243

Post#126 » by Lorenzomax7 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:59 am

madmaxmedia wrote:I think this article might illustrate what a lot of people see in Lin (even though it's talking about Yao Ming):

http://roadsandkingdoms.com/2014/show-me-the-yuan/

Sheng laughs as he recalled a young Yao traveling to Houston for the first time, not fully equipped for NBA’s star-focused ethos. The Rockets were a team, but they were a team being built around their towering center, and it took time for Yao—raised on conservative Chinese traditions—to realize that in sport sometimes it’s OK to be No. 1, to put yourself first, to dominate. It’s a lesson Sheng is hoping a generation of Chinese athletes will be quick to learn as they look to cash in on professional sports’ rising prominence in the world’s largest economy.

“We need bad boys,” Sheng says. “In sports sometimes you need bad boys. What previously was lacking a bit with Chinese athletes was the killer instinct. Yao was certainly lacking it a little bit. Our culture rewards the people who obey. But in sports, it’s actually about the ones who can risk it all, who—pardon my language—say ‘Just f*** it. I am going to go for it.’”

I think that last line sums up Swaggy P pretty well, does it not? He might succeed, he might fail, but you know when the situation arises he is gonna go for it, guns blazing.

Lin is Asian-American (as am I) and not native Chinese, but its a generally Asian cultural thing to fit in, don't make too much noise, be diligent, have respect, etc. In some ways its good, but the problem in basketball is that if you try too much to avoid mistakes and being respectful ("fitting in"), you end up failing out of lack of trying. Instead of having say a 50-50 chance of making a significant positive impact on a game, he ends up with only a 10% chance because he's trying too hard to play smart, defer, not make mistakes, etc. It's good to play mistake free basketball, it's probably bad to try too hard to not ever make any mistakes. Often you end up second-guessing and hesitating, and making mistakes because of that. Compounding this is the fact that he plays PG, which is even more so supposed to be the 'unselfish' position, except that his skill set is clearly that of a 1.5. His best skill is breaking down the defense which can lead to assists, which is different than being a prototypical floor general type.

Neither Swaggy P or Jeremy Lin will ever be all-star players either way, and if you look at their stat lines for the year they're not even that different (if you allow for their different positions.) But on a Laker squad that is not very good anyway, and desperately needs reasonably talented guys (like Young or Lin) to step up on any given night, Swaggy P's attitude will help the team more.

It's also why there's always talk of whether Lin's current team/situation is a good fit, how to maximize his talents, etc. If a guy has talent, he can find a way to contribute and fit in, but not if you worry too much about how to fit in. Because then you shrink your game in response to your perceptions about everyone else. Basketball is a team sport, but it also absolutely requires guys to play with assertiveness and step up. It's not a coincidence that we read it was Swaggy P pulling Jeremy aside and trying to help him with this, help him deal with Kobe.

I'm pretty much speculating about all of this of course, but this is what I see at least externally on the court.

Everyone says that Linsanity will never happen again, and it's true of course. But, Lin can approach the game and PLAY like that and at least have spurts of that KIND of success. That he is capable of. As soon as Nick Young came back from injury, he was a positive influence on the rest of team in more ways than just the numbers. That was actually true of Lin at one point (not on the Lakers though.)

There, I think I've probably said all about Jeremy Lin that I'll ever have to say again.

Watch NBA since 1998. Huge fan of A.C. Fiorentina, Spurs & Tim Duncan, Yao Ming & Linsanity, Brooklyn & Coney Island. Former Brooklyn Chinese resident.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#127 » by ChokeFasncists » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:57 pm

He needs his swag back.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
Jajwanda
General Manager
And1: 105

Post#128 » by Jajwanda » Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:34 pm

His numbers with the right group around him are pretty damn good. He and Young should be post 2016 Lakers. Clarkson should be their SG.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers