ImageImageImageImageImage

Jeanie Buss says she will hold Jim Buss to three-year timeline

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Re: Jeanie Buss says she will hold Jim Buss to three-year timeline 

Post#61 » by DEEP3CL » Fri Jan 9, 2015 1:44 am

iamworthy wrote:I'm slowly starting to walk away from the idea of landing a top 3 player or a mega star. Getting Kevin Durant, or LeBron James at this point does nothing for me. Both of those guys are currently having a hard enough time winning on the team's they are on and they have far better supporting players that we have. When Miami had the big three had the spurs made their free throws and Ray Allen not hit a clutch 3 they would have won only one ring. Instead of targeting Durant let's target guys like Jimmy butler and so forth. Instead of getting one superstar and a side kick give me 4 really good guys and 4 role players. It seems like our scouting department sucks. I could be wrong but it appears that way.
Big Game my dawg....I conceived that thought long ago, probably after the "blocked trade". The other part was if you think back putting everything together, the league just inked a new CBA which severely changed the dynamics of how you acquire players. Secondly it made it harder for teams to lose their franchise guys. Then if you looked at the FA pools that soon followed you knew it would take hell freezing over to remake our team a contender like in years past, by getting franchise changers.

Outside of Howard ( who is just a different type of dude on the mental tip ) and LeBron, what franchise guy has left their teams in free agency ?

Just like when we're at work and we start to hear of changes coming to the work place, well the same held true for Mitch and the NBA. You think Mitch didn't hear how things would change? It made perfect sense to swing for the fences like he did because I'm pretty sure he was hearing how it was about to be.

But I'm like you and have been for a while now...let's shoot for the Reggie Jackson's, Jimmy Butler's hell even Khwai Leonard's. These guys are RFA's but hell let's call these teams bluff and see if they have the heart and guts to retain their guys. We're playing with house money and we don't have a damn thing to lose pushing all the chips to the middle of the table.

Build the team full of solid ball players....that's basically what we did in the mid 90's, we got decent and put ourselves in position to get Diesel because of it.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
leeprettyp
Assistant Coach
And1: 680

Post#62 » by leeprettyp » Fri Jan 9, 2015 2:23 am

DEEP3CL wrote:
iamworthy wrote:I'm slowly starting to walk away from the idea of landing a top 3 player or a mega star. Getting Kevin Durant, or LeBron James at this point does nothing for me. Both of those guys are currently having a hard enough time winning on the team's they are on and they have far better supporting players that we have. When Miami had the big three had the spurs made their free throws and Ray Allen not hit a clutch 3 they would have won only one ring. Instead of targeting Durant let's target guys like Jimmy butler and so forth. Instead of getting one superstar and a side kick give me 4 really good guys and 4 role players. It seems like our scouting department sucks. I could be wrong but it appears that way.
Big Game my dawg....I conceived that thought long ago, probably after the "blocked trade". The other part was if you think back putting everything together, the league just inked a new CBA which severely changed the dynamics of how you acquire players. Secondly it made it harder for teams to lose their franchise guys. Then if you looked at the FA pools that soon followed you knew it would take hell freezing over to remake our team a contender like in years past, by getting franchise changers.

Outside of Howard ( who is just a different type of dude on the mental tip ) and LeBron, what franchise guy has left their teams in free agency ?

Just like when we're at work and we start to hear of changes coming to the work place, well the same held true for Mitch and the NBA. You think Mitch didn't hear how things would change? It made perfect sense to swing for the fences like he did because I'm pretty sure he was hearing how it was about to be.

But I'm like you and have been for a while now...let's shoot for the Reggie Jackson's, Jimmy Butler's hell even Khwai Leonard's. These guys are RFA's but hell let's call these teams bluff and see if they have the heart and guts to retain their guys. We're playing with house money and we don't have a damn thing to lose pushing all the chips to the middle of the table.

Build the team full of solid ball players....that's basically what we did in the mid 90's, we got decent and put ourselves in position to get Diesel because of it.

BEAUTIFULLY SAID SIR
ALL HAIL
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,213

Post#63 » by ALL HAIL » Fri Jan 9, 2015 2:47 am

In the nineties, with The Lake Show, the Lakers had a strong talent pool, but the entire talent pool was signed to great contracts.

I agree with increasing the talent pool, but I don't agree with signing guys to bad contracts.

Having bad contracts is much, much worse than having bad talent.

You want to be able to look up and down your payroll and know that you could trade damn-near anyone if you wanted to--I don't think you can say that about guys like Bledsoe and Parsons and Heyward. Just sayin'.
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,675

Post#64 » by Pointgod » Fri Jan 9, 2015 7:20 pm

ALL HAIL wrote:In the nineties, with The Lake Show, the Lakers had a strong talent pool, but the entire talent pool was signed to great contracts.

I agree with increasing the talent pool, but I don't agree with signing guys to bad contracts.

Having bad contracts is much, much worse than having bad talent.

You want to be able to look up and down your payroll and know that you could trade damn-near anyone if you wanted to--I don't think you can say that about guys like Bledsoe and Parsons and Heyward. Just sayin'.

This is the NBA damn near every contract is tradable. The worst contracts are the combination of old age, injury and overpayment. Bledsoe, Parsons and Hayward don't fit that criteria. Signing young players to big deals won't cripple a team. Even then the key is to have a plethora of draft picks that can be used to move the player if need be. Sometimes you have to take chances.
TigerInYourTank
Senior
And1: 198

Post#65 » by TigerInYourTank » Mon Jul 6, 2015 2:29 pm

Kilroy wrote:Mystique isn't the same as Magic... She's not saying that because they've had success in the past there's some magic in the org that makes them more likely to win in the future... She's saying the Mystique of the success of the Lakers over the years is a draw to players... That they might want to play in LA to be part of that mystique...

Obviously, not every player is going to want that... But lots of players have said that it was part of the reason they wanted to play in LA... So I'm not sure the validity is even a question.

Also, it's something she's said countless times, so I find it suspect that you're focusing on that line in this quote. You say you don't like the current ownership, but if you've heard Jeanie talk about the Lakers at all, I can almost guarantee you've heard her say something similar, even before she was the President of the team.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers