ImageImageImageImageImage

The "Resting" of Kobe Bryant

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

Marionettetc
Sixth Man
And1: 969

The "Resting" of Kobe Bryant 

Post#1 » by Marionettetc » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:42 am

What do you think is going on with Kobe? Existential crisis?
ArC_man
Veteran
And1: 910

Re: What do you think is going on with Kobe? 

Post#2 » by ArC_man » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:15 am

Stealth tank imo
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,440

Post#3 » by Slava » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:47 am

I think & hope he will retire at end of the season.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,809

Post#4 » by TyCobb » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:56 am

His minutes and style of play to start the season wore on him more than people know.
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,513

Post#5 » by Michael Lucky » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:19 am

Slava wrote:I think & hope he will retire at end of the season.

Same and not just because of the cap space. Outside the money he'd make there is no other incentive to go through next season when there is no shot at competing for anything significant. If he wants a realistic shot at a title he should take the year off and come back to play the following year for a team that is competing. With a little luck in FA maybe us, but again hed just be playing next year to collect his paycheck while hurting his body even more.
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,513

Post#6 » by Michael Lucky » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:20 am

Same and not just because of the cap space. Outside the money he'd make there is no other incentive to go through next season when there is no shot at competing for anything significant. If he wants a realistic shot at a title he should take the year off and come back to play the following year for a team that is competing. With a little luck in FA maybe us, but again hed just be playing next year to collect his paycheck while hurting his body even more.
ckman
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,193

Post#7 » by ckman » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:01 am

Old
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,667

Post#8 » by Pointgod » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:02 am

Lol you know if he retires that money will still count against the cap.
dznutzz
Bench Warmer
And1: 122

Post#9 » by dznutzz » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:20 am

he's either at home counting dem checks or called in sick knowing that the media would jump all over him if the lakers lose big today. i could understand resting back to backs but this?
Penberthy
Sixth Man
And1: 243

Post#10 » by Penberthy » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:02 am

Michael Lucky wrote:

I like the idea but Kobe basically sat out last year and look at how he came back this year. The one exception being if he took a dirk/duncan deal and colluded with say a KD and convinced him he would be the 8 assist 8 rebound 12-15 fga Kobe to help him go out on top. Kobe would secure his legacy as the greatest laker of all time if he got us KD, and although it sounds crazy, it seems to be the exact type of crazy scheme Kobe would come up with. Duncan will be 39 in 3 months and plays 31 mins per game, Kobe will be 38 for all of 2016-2017 season. If he had the "humility" to play a ginobili-style 25 mins per and give nick the rest of the sg minutes it's doable.

Jackson Lin
Kobe Young Clarkson
KD Wes
Randle Kelly Hou1st
Asik Towns Davis
Jedi32
Head Coach
And1: 6,281

Post#11 » by Jedi32 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:10 am

Honestly I think Jim and mitch want to give him one more shot at a title and he's resting alot this year just in case the Lakers put themselves into contention next year.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#12 » by Kilroy » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:32 am

Unless there's something going on I'm blissfully unaware of... Kobe's just sitting because there's no point playing him every night, and he's stinking when he plays because he's not used to taking nights off.

He's not going to retire this season. Why would he?
I still think we're going to be a totally different team next season. I could be wrong, but if we have a team that's got the pieces to contend, having a guy like Kobe on the team for vet experience, drive and leadership, for a few more seasons would be ideal. So I don't think he retires at the end of his contract either. At least not if we're good. If we still suck, he'll take a quick money paycheck over seas and show his daughters the world a little more.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Rhythm043
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,865

Post#13 » by Rhythm043 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:09 am

Should i drop him in fantasy? Lol

To be serious I just think he sees that here is no point in risking another injury this year while the team is bad. I don't think hes injured at all maybe tired and feeling sore. I agree that if the Lakers do something significant in the offseason he will give it one more shot. I really think the players Kobe has to work with this year are horrible and he's playing even worse than he would be had he been surronded with some talent this year. Ive watched Laker games this year where hes still been doubled every possession even at his age. Management wasted a year of his career by giving him garbage to work with. Sad but true.

They should just shut him down and say hes hurt. They arent going to say the team is just too bad to risk playing him are they and piss off the fans who paid to see him this season, right? Say he's hurt and people can read in between the lines.

No chance he asks for a trade either right?
On Gerald Henderson vs Derozan:
"Yes. Hendo is quite a bit better than DeMar.
So yes, I do believe he's currently the better player and do project that will continue to be in the future. I would also take Turner over DD."
--Throwback24,Jan 2014
MAMBAEMD
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,622

Post#14 » by MAMBAEMD » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:35 am

More than anything, Kobe is a competitor. He wants to play and he wants to win.
He knows deep down inside that it is unlikely for him to compete for a title in the remianing years of his career.
But he still wants to play every night.
I think he is frustrated that his body can't do the things his mind wants to do, and he is frustrated that he can't play at a high level every night.
And although he knows he won't win any more rings, he wants to get out there and show his peers that he can still play.
I doubt he will retire at the end of this year, because of his competitive nature, and because of the the money.
But I doubt he plays beyond next year no matter how good the Lakers are.
Formerly lakerRD
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,269

Post#15 » by Dr Aki » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:54 am

quarter life crisis
Laker_Kid
Starter
And1: 591

Post#16 » by Laker_Kid » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:43 am

it's simple really. Lakers is a business and sitting Kobe is the best option to 1. keep our pick (as much as I'd hate to say that) and 2. extend his career (and also not make him look bad). In a good team, I doubt Kobe would suck. I suppose he'd play mostly home games now, because the fact of the matter is, he still sells tickets. Just my opinion.
Mamba Venom
RealGM
And1: 580

Post#17 » by Mamba Venom » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:44 am

I for one am not happy about an unprecedented amount of rest. We have never seen this type of rest schedule in NBA history. Scott shouldn't play Kobe on back to backs. Rest his old man like Pop does. I get that. But not playing Kobe on Christmas after resting him for 5 days before. Kobe was pissed about that decision. Not playing Kobe for week long stretches. This is disrespectful to Kobe's legacy. This is not the Laker way. This is disrespectful to fans that pay to see Kobe 1 last time.

It's good for Kobe to play at least once a week. He looks healthy. Kobe shot 7% less than his career average while coming back from 2 of the worst injuries a player can deal with. That was to be expected. Also small sample size. That does not mean Kobe can't be a great SG anymore. Playing Kobe at point is BS. Phil was worried about Kobe taking the ball up court due to more wear and tear in 2010-2011. Scott plan is to give Kobe this duty in 2014-2015 after 2 major injuries. Why? To win a championship? MJ had it right. Go try to catch Malone. He tried to get w/ your wife are you going to let him be ahead of you on the all-time list. Motivation. Take the chains off Kobe and let Kobe Lake! Let Lakers GM Lake and get that trade/FA sighing. Lets get that top 5 pick and let Randle come back strong. November was still fun to be a Lakers fan. These Kobe-less games can be tough to watch.

Scott told Kobe not to come to practice. Kobe showed up anyway. Scott told Kobe not to come to the game tonight. Kobe showed up anyway. 4 mins difference in PT aint ish. This overrest is a total overreaction by Scott. This is too much rest. At what point does rest = rust? Scott needs to focus on developing our young players. Let Kobe does what he does. Kobe needs to stay in game shape.

There are only 37 non -back to back games left. #unchainKobe! #LetLakersLake
Lakers are 22-3 in OT last 6 seasons:Kobe best OT closer!
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#18 » by ChokeFasncists » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:51 am

Penberthy wrote:If he had the "humility" to play a ginobili-style 25 mins per and give nick the rest of the sg minutes it's doable.

It's really no shame to do that at this stage, like McHale, Allen etc. It's probably the best for everyone; himself, his teammates and the fans(the ones who bought tickets to see him only to find out that he's sitting). Oh well.

Duncan will be 39 in 3 months and plays 31 mins per game, Kobe will be 38 for all of 2016-2017 season.

Duncan is very unique, in that he has never relied on athleticism.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
mcscotty
Rookie
And1: 486

Post#19 » by mcscotty » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:27 pm

ChokeFasncists wrote:
Penberthy wrote:If he had the "humility" to play a ginobili-style 25 mins per and give nick the rest of the sg minutes it's doable.

It's really no shame to do that at this stage, like McHale, Allen etc. It's probably the best for everyone; himself, his teammates and the fans(the ones who bought tickets to see him only to find out that he's sitting). Oh well.

Duncan will be 39 in 3 months and plays 31 mins per game, Kobe will be 38 for all of 2016-2017 season.

Duncan is very unique, in that he has never relied on athleticism.

Duncan is also a world-class swimmer. No better way to stay in shape and prevent injury. It's the ultimate full-body work-out.
laduane1
Banned User
And1: 29

Kobe 

Post#20 » by laduane1 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:25 pm

Coach Scott said this. Would this be good or bad...

Lakers coach Byron Scott said he played Kobe Bryant too many minutes early in the season and dropped a hint about shutting Bryant down for the rest of the year.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers