Yes?
56%
No?
44%

Total votes: 50

gamer4Life
General Manager
And1: 1,077

Re: Is Lin being under utilized? Yes or no. 

Post#141 » by gamer4Life » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:04 am

I wonder what Jeremy Lin's spin on this experience is.

"It is God's plan to treat me like a scrub, to test my faith in Him..."

So maybe Byron Scott is an agent of His Almighty.
Drones
Ballboy
And1: 12

Post#142 » by Drones » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:15 am

Hank7 wrote:
Drones wrote:
crazyeights wrote: The guy can be a weapon, but his inordinate amount of fanfare has made him come with a lot of mental baggage it seems.

snip

From the LA Times today...

"Lin left the locker room after talking to one reporter while a majority of them were still interviewing Scott outside the door. Lin later said on Twitter that he thought nobody had any questions for him and he would gladly talk to reporters after Saturday's practice, which was subsequently canceled by Scott."

Excellent decision for BS to cancel practice with a 7-game losing streak and a new line up. :crazy:

I feel you, normally that's not a great decision to cancel practice if you're trying to use a new lineup...but the Lakers aren't in a normal situation right now. Of course practice is critical but the season is basically over at this point. This is just one of many signs of the Lakers packing it in a little early because there's no way we can compete for a playoff spot especially with Kobe out.
dznutzz
Bench Warmer
And1: 122

Post#143 » by dznutzz » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:49 am

Drones wrote:
Hank7 wrote:
Drones wrote:snip

From the LA Times today...

"Lin left the locker room after talking to one reporter while a majority of them were still interviewing Scott outside the door. Lin later said on Twitter that he thought nobody had any questions for him and he would gladly talk to reporters after Saturday's practice, which was subsequently canceled by Scott."

Excellent decision for BS to cancel practice with a 7-game losing streak and a new line up. :crazy:

I feel you, normally that's not a great decision to cancel practice if you're trying to use a new lineup...but the Lakers aren't in a normal situation right now. Of course practice is critical but the season is basically over at this point. This is just one of many signs of the Lakers packing it in a little early because there's no way we can compete for a playoff spot especially with Kobe out.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d29VsG35DQM[/youtube]
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#144 » by Kilroy » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:52 am

Seems like Lin's going to be traded. Got a big lock for this thread when that happens.

Can't believe how many people think what happens to Jeremy Lin is some sort of greater indication about the Health or direction of the franchise...
What Iverson should be saying in that clip is "We talking about a Career Backup PG, now? Not a starter, not a starter, not a starter... But a career backup?!"
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,725

Is Lin being under utilized? Yes or no. 

Post#145 » by madmaxmedia » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:53 pm

I used to think he was being underutilized, but now I think he's just not that great. Good enough to play in the league, not good enough to stand out on a consistent basis.

Best way to get more minutes is to earn them with his play, and I don't think his production has been much better than the other guards in the rotation.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
EdXDavis21
Banned User
And1: 138

Post#146 » by EdXDavis21 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:13 am

Watching the game against the Rockets.... it almost seemed like the Lakers/Staff are asking Lin to do more now so his value can go up.... his will to drive to the basket was probably a first this season.. it's interesting that it took this long for him to change his game a little bit...
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,675

Post#147 » by Pointgod » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:19 am

Lin is what he is. A back up guard. that's it. Not sure if we can even get a 2nd round pick for him. He hasn't really shown that he's better than a Ramon Sessions. Play him 40 minutes a night in an effort to increase his trade value, but I doubt it.
madmaxmedia
RealGM

Post#148 » by madmaxmedia » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:25 pm

At this point, I think any trade value he has is mainly based on his expiring contract. I doubt the Lakers want to take on longer salary in return. I guess you could get a similarly expiring contract of a marginal player, but what's the point of doing that? Tank implications are small either way.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#149 » by Slava » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:28 pm

madmaxmedia wrote:At this point, I think any trade value he has is mainly based on his expiring contract. I doubt the Lakers want to take on longer salary in return. I guess you could get a similarly expiring contract of a marginal player, but what's the point of doing that? Tank implications are small either way.

PLenty teams out there who could use a good back up guard. Clippers should be all over it, Detroit & Chicago could use one. Even Charlotte and Miami need a PG.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Post#150 » by LApwnd » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:22 pm

I'm sure Det and Cha will get desperate soon enough lol
cw3k
Bench Warmer
And1: 503

Post#151 » by cw3k » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:11 pm

What Lin lack is Westbrook's rage. I like Lin because Linsanity bring me back to basketball. But he is too soft and if he continue at this pace, he will be out of the league. He should attack more and shoot more. Yes, I do agreed with other, Lin will probably be traded by deadline.
madmaxmedia
RealGM

Post#152 » by madmaxmedia » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:32 pm

Slava wrote:
madmaxmedia wrote:At this point, I think any trade value he has is mainly based on his expiring contract. I doubt the Lakers want to take on longer salary in return. I guess you could get a similarly expiring contract of a marginal player, but what's the point of doing that? Tank implications are small either way.

PLenty teams out there who could use a good back up guard. Clippers should be all over it, Detroit & Chicago could use one. Even Charlotte and Miami need a PG.

I was thinking anyone else would just wait until end of season and then pursue him as a FA. But you're right, there are some playoff teams that could add a backup PG (like the Clippers), I wonder what the general exception is of the production you'd get from him rest of this year. I guess the worst case scenario is along the lines of his production so far this year, with an outside chance of him finding a fit and becoming a spark for a few games here and there.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#153 » by Slava » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:36 pm

madmaxmedia wrote:
Slava wrote:

I was thinking anyone else would just wait until end of season and then pursue him as a FA. But you're right, there are some playoff teams that could add a backup PG (like the Clippers), I wonder what the general exception is of the production you'd get from him rest of this year. I guess the worst case scenario is along the lines of his production so far this year, with an outside chance of him finding a fit and becoming a spark for a few games here and there.

People expect a team to be built around his strengths as a ball handler. Well that doesn't happen unless you are a top tier PG, which is the deepest position in the league right now and Lin is not in the top tier of 15 or so guys. He can be a starter on teams like Lakers, Miami, Rockets etc but they all have superstar SGs who handle the ball a lot where he ends up being a spot up shooter.

As such his best option is to come off the bench and use his skills as a ball handler and play maker for 2nd units, which usually lack good production and hope that the starter misses some games so he can get a few good games as the starter.
aaron_gray
Analyst
And1: 979

Post#154 » by aaron_gray » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:37 pm

For who though?? Spencer Hawes? Jamal Crawford? Matt Barnes, depleting their already thin wing depth? They're pretty much using everyone earning more than 3 mil. It's hard to match 8 mil in salary, especially when the other team is trying to get better. What's wrong with just letting him come off the books, than throwing that 8 mil at a 23-25 year old free agent?
TyCobb wrote:Embiid at peak value after reaching a new maturity level.
bws94
Head Coach
And1: 1,222

Post#155 » by bws94 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:28 am

Not everyone is sold on Lin is a "backup". Not that he may not play off of the bench, but not as a "backup". I don't think he should be so defined. I don't know what he is yet. He just has to keep playing and then maybe after 2 more seasons I'll have a better idea.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#156 » by Slava » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:30 am

aaron_gray wrote:For who though?? Spencer Hawes? Jamal Crawford? Matt Barnes, depleting their already thin wing depth? They're pretty much using everyone earning more than 3 mil. It's hard to match 8 mil in salary, especially when the other team is trying to get better. What's wrong with just letting him come off the books, than throwing that 8 mil at a 23-25 year old free agent?

Yeah the Clippers don't have anything worth our time but I just suggested an example.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#157 » by Slava » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:32 am

bws94 wrote:Not everyone is sold on Lin is a "backup". Not that he may not play off of the bench, but not as a "backup". I don't think he should be so defined. I don't know what he is yet. He just has to keep playing and then maybe after 2 more seasons I'll have a better idea.

This is an excellent post that might help make your mind

viewtopic.php?p=42382577#p42382577
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#158 » by ChokeFasncists » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:40 am

A lot can change in the league: trades, injuries, retirements. What's most important is that, if Lin takes care of business, which means playing well consistently and toning down his TOs, he'll do fine as a starter on a team that fits him. Any team could use a 17/7, 50/40/90 player that's unselfish and plays good D.

It's still a pretty abnormal and unstable situation here with the Lakers. If the pick this year is retained, what to do next year? It'd be top 3 protected. Perhaps signing Lin to a one year rental, do Linsanity, win some games and see what happens? That might be the best move for both parties.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#159 » by Slava » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:39 am

ChokeFasncists wrote: Any team could use a 17/7, 50/40/90 player that's unselfish and plays good D.

Umm.. Lin is a far thing from a 50/40/90 player. I mean grade school math would like to revoke your numbers privileges.
aaron_gray
Analyst
And1: 979

Post#160 » by aaron_gray » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:58 am

ChokeFasncists wrote:A lot can change in the league: trades, injuries, retirements. What's most important is that, if Lin takes care of business, which means playing well consistently and toning down his TOs, he'll do fine as a starter on a team that fits him. Any team could use a 17/7, 50/40/90 player that's unselfish and plays good D.

It's still a pretty abnormal and unstable situation here with the Lakers. If the pick this year is retained, what to do next year? It'd be top 3 protected. Perhaps signing Lin to a one year rental, do Linsanity, win some games and see what happens? That might be the best move for both parties.

You're right, Lin can average 17/7 on something like 47/40/85. The thing is, if you want to win any games, you better have a Klay Thompson or Jimmy Butler available, because Lin isn't going to like playing next to Gordon Hayward.

It's like, you have to build your offense through Lin, and you'll get a decent offense, but not one that will win you games consistently. I don't want anyone to be offended by this, but that's how I feel about Jordan Hill as well. Hill has basically become the primary big when Scott decides to spam horns, and despite the results, this is probably how you maximize his skill set. I think you can build a much better offense around Lin p/rs than Jordan Hill jumpers, but there are so many point guards that will give you those qualities without having to dominate the ball.

At the beginning of the year, I predicted on the GB that Lin and Collison would have career years. Well, one of them has lived up to expectations while sharing the ball with Rudy Gay and DMC.
Gay: .298 assist'd, 26.5% usage rate.
DMC: .519 assist'd, 33.7 usage rate.
Hill, Sacre, Ed all have assist'd numbers over 60%. The big man with the highest usage rate is Boozer at 22.4%. Swaggy P has a 26.5% usage rate with a 3rd of his buckets being assisted (i actually really like having him catch and shoot).
Lin's per 36 numbers are 14 and 6 this year and he's been a net positive so far when he's not playing with Kobe. With Kobe out, Lin has no more excuses to not average 17/7 the remainder of the way.
TyCobb wrote:Embiid at peak value after reaching a new maturity level.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers