ImageImageImageImageImage

Opinion on Boozer

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

Marionettetc
Sixth Man
And1: 969

Opinion on Boozer 

Post#1 » by Marionettetc » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:11 pm

Prior to this year, I will admit I had only seen him play for the Jazz. For the past X years, I have read from forum members and columnists how terrible of a player he is.

Coming into this season I thought he was hot trash we signed because we needed bodies and names to sell tickets. After watching him so far, turns out Carlos isn't really that bad of a player.

He's consistent every game, can score, communicates on the floor and seems reasonably positive from a lockerroom perspective.

His bad press came from the fact he wasn't performing up to his previous contract and he's a limited defender right?

This isn't a hater thread, I genuinely would like the opinions of my Laker board mates on him
LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Re: Opinion on Boozer 

Post#2 » by LApwnd » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:15 pm

he got hated on for his high salary and non D side just like the way we use to hate on Pau and his high price non D playing butt. But now both are on reasonable contracts and is playing above their contract value, less hateable IMO.
Marionettetc
Sixth Man

Re: Re: Opinion on Boozer 

Post#3 » by Marionettetc » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:20 pm

LApwnd wrote:he got hated on for his high salary and non D side just like the way we use to hate on Pau and his high price non D playing butt. But now both are on reasonable contracts and is playing above their contract value, less hateable IMO.

Sounds really reasonable, especially that you mention Pau it's really easy for me to see that analogue
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,231

Post#4 » by crazyeights » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:34 pm

I think off the bench (and for his $3m contract) Boozer is an okay vet to have on the team. He does provide more positives (offensively) than people want to give him credit for, based on years of loathing him for his weak D, constant fouling, and just general Utah Jazz-ness.

It would have been interesting if Randle would have stayed healthy to see how Byron would have handled that transition, but I imagine Boozer would still be on the bench now and Randle would be soaking up the starter's minutes.

It's important to have more than Kobe (who obviously doesn't practice with the team daily) on the roster, especially at least one big, who can show our young/inexperienced group how to do the daily grind. Something which if we happen to keep all of our picks for next season (2 firsts, 2 seconds) we'll need plenty of next year:

Randle, Clarkson, 2 firsts, 2 seconds, Kelly, and Tarik Black would be a really young team. Kobe won't cut it alone and I don't care if it's Boozer, but we'll need someone else to lead the team.
what would jack bauer do?
Veteran
And1: 295

Post#5 » by what would jack bauer do? » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:36 pm

I hear he pushes off once in a while
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#6 » by Slava » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:45 pm

crazyeights wrote:I think off the bench (and for his $3m contract) Boozer is an okay vet to have on the team. He does provide more positives (offensively) than people want to give him credit for, based on years of loathing him for his weak D, constant fouling, and just general Utah Jazz-ness.

It would have been interesting if Randle would have stayed healthy to see how Byron would have handled that transition, but I imagine Boozer would still be on the bench now and Randle would be soaking up the starter's minutes.

It's important to have more than Kobe (who obviously doesn't practice with the team daily) on the roster, especially at least one big, who can show our young/inexperienced group how to do the daily grind. Something which if we happen to keep all of our picks for next season (2 firsts, 2 seconds) we'll need plenty of next year:

Randle, Clarkson, 2 firsts, 2 seconds, Kelly, and Tarik Black would be a really young team. Kobe won't cut it alone and I don't care if it's Boozer, but we'll need someone else to lead the team.

I can't help but think Randle would be playing a lot of SF like Kelly is doing now. Scott is really trying to get Kelly some minutes and with PF being our deepest spot, he's having to see a ton of time at SF even if he doesn't fit there on defense.

In regards to Boozer, I think he can comfortably get a 3 year deal at close to $8 mil per year.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Kangaroohop
Junior
And1: 50

Opinion on Boozer 

Post#7 » by Kangaroohop » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:30 am

I'd happily sign re-sign him.
He's got a good mid range game he can dribble to the hole, great presence around the team an obvious leader too.
We have to face it Randle could need help next year with his development being a rookie he will have off scoring nights and that's where a vet like Booze fits perfectly.

If we can just sign a half decent or draft a some what defensive minded 7ft C we would be in great situation.

Ha not too mention a few other upgrades...

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums mobile app
Optms
RealGM
And1: 16,959

Post#8 » by Optms » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:04 am

Marionettetc wrote:Prior to this year, I will admit I had only seen him play for the Jazz. For the past X years, I have read from forum members and columnists how terrible of a player he is.

Coming into this season I thought he was hot trash we signed because we needed bodies and names to sell tickets. After watching him so far, turns out Carlos isn't really that bad of a player.

He's consistent every game, can score, communicates on the floor and seems reasonably positive from a lockerroom perspective.

His bad press came from the fact he wasn't performing up to his previous contract and he's a limited defender right?

This isn't a hater thread, I genuinely would like the opinions of my Laker board mates on him

Jesus.

First: Expand your horizon outside of Lakers games. There's quality basketball to be found all across the league. You can watch other games, too, and still catch the Lakers. It doesn't have to be a one way street.

To address the Booz: How positive have his contributions been when we're a bottom 5 team in the league?

On the Bulls he was poison and was the biggest wink link on the roster. Even Thibs couldn't hide him any longer and chose to replace him with Taj Gibson during second half of games. That's how much of a liability he was to the Bulls success.

If we ever want to resemble a winning team again, cutting the rancid fat like Boozer on this roster is mandatory. Don't let him fool you. He's extra weight on a good roster. Just like Nick Young. Its fun and games until the day comes when we need quality players to build a winning culture again.
Marionettetc
Sixth Man

Re: Re: Opinion on Boozer 

Post#9 » by Marionettetc » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:10 am

Optms wrote:
Jesus.

First: Expand your horizon outside of Lakers games. There's quality basketball to be found all across the league. You can watch other games, too, and still catch the Lakers. It doesn't have to be a one way street.

Thanks for the protip bro. I will endeavor to expand my basketball horizons. It's just sad it took an aggressive nobody in my harmless thread to finally help me.

Appreciate the response though, you're the best.
EArl
RealGM
And1: 13,230

Post#10 » by EArl » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:15 am

Hes not as horrible as people make him out to be. He's been average for our team.
Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing, Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before;
Drones
Ballboy
And1: 12

Post#11 » by Drones » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:28 am

When Boozer got moved to the bench, he didn't pout on the court about it. He just kept playing hard like a real professional does. I don't mind him coming in with the second unit.

He's also an underrated locker room presence, his teammates rave about him.
mcscotty
Rookie
And1: 486

Post#12 » by mcscotty » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:05 am

Could be our MVP this season.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#13 » by ChokeFasncists » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:38 pm

At this stage of his career, he's excellent off the bench, where he doesn't have to guard the Griffins, LMAs of the league.

His pushing fouls are pretty annoying but sometimes he gets away with it, lol.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
jackwindham
Sixth Man
And1: 732

Post#14 » by jackwindham » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:06 am

Marionettetc wrote:Coming into this season I thought he was hot trash we signed because we needed bodies and names to sell tickets. After watching him so far, turns out Carlos isn't really that bad of a player.

I don't think Boozer moved the needle all that much when it comes to ticket sales.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,729

Post#15 » by madmaxmedia » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:23 pm

He can flex with the best of them.
mcscotty
Rookie
And1: 486

Post#16 » by mcscotty » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:18 am

madmaxmedia wrote:He can flex with the best of them.

No doubt. He's one of the wealthiest ballers on the planet.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers