ImageImageImageImageImage

Predict the 2015-16 Roster

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,811

Re: Predict the 2015-16 Roster 

Post#41 » by TylersLakers » Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:39 am

Dragic for 20mill... In the words of good 'ol JR -- By GAWD!
mjba
Analyst
And1: 121

Post#42 » by mjba » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:31 am

ROballer wrote:...and he bounced right back this year,is 29 and doesn't have one definite skill you can deem elite

He is overrated ,yeah ..... and at 20 mil per is just absurd,he ain't a difference maker who can drastically improve our record ,like I'd expect out of a 20 mil guy

Aaron Brooks scored 20 per game in a season as well ....plenty of guys were one and done's
If he was 23-25 ,the yeah,maybe you got a point......but he's 29 ,and had one great statistical season
If I'm paying someone that age close to the MAX money ,I'm paying for consistency ,not one good season

I'd rather have Reggie Jackson or Brandon Knight over Dragic any day ...with less money invested

this is so wrong for so many reasons, but i'll just point out, in terms of having one 'elite' skill, that he finishes at the rim at about 70% (IIRC) - i.e. better than anyone in L playing the 1, 2 or 3 besides LBJ.

man, if you haven't watched a guy play, don't speak on him. how hard is that?

in terms of the team for next year, i honestly don't know what to expect. i can't really see us picking up anyone of note besides Dragic at this point - and i still think he's unlikely to walk away from MIA. i understand why people would be hesitant to give him 4/80 at 29, but you have to remember that he's only logged significant minutes in 4 of his 7 years in the L, so age/mileage wouldn't be a big concern for me. whether or not 20 per is the number under the new cap is another question... as it stands now, we have no shot at guys like Marc or LMA - and obviously those guys are no brain pick-ups - so it's not worth talking about.

in light of Broussard's latest report, how would ppl feel about Kevin Love? again, I think it's unlikely that he leaves - particularly this year w the cap going up in 2016-17 - but it seems conceivable that we would be an option if he does. it's funny, it seems as though everyone is higher on Julius now than they were when the season started (the Blake Griffin effect?). perhaps it's just that he's the only piece of talent on the roster. is it possible that he and Randle could play together? seems as though it's not, but i honestly haven't seen enough of randle to make that call. so, with this in mind, would Kevin Love be the best use of our cap space?

in terms of the pick - assuming top four - i like Russell, but i'm not sure that he'll be there when we pick. if Towns is the pick, i agree w ALL HAIL that ideally we would pick up some more experienced vets in the front court, but i'd still let the kids play as much as possible. i think ppl underrate how much the time in the gym, away from the actual game, can impact a young player's development. i assume this was a factor in picking up Boozer this year. that said, we have no shot at guys like Brook or Garnett so not exactly sure who would fit the bill here...
mjba
Analyst
And1: 121

Post#43 » by mjba » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:45 am

Pointgod wrote:What it should be:

What it will probably be:

PG-Clarkson/1 year scrub
SG-Kobe/Swaggy P/pick
SF-1 year scrub/pick
PF-Randle/R Kelly/1 year scrub
C-Hill(Lakers will pick up his option)/Townes

i think this is the most likely scenario. will it be enough for a top3 pick, though... i'm not sure. NY and MIN will be better. only philly i can see being worse than us, but anything can happen over the course of a year. i'd still rather take the risk and wait for 2016 than sign middling players like deng, rondo or reggie jackson (lol) to long term, big money deals.
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,926

Post#44 » by tugs » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:51 am

Just wanna say I applaud everyone's efforts here.
ROballer
General Manager
And1: 2,752

Post#45 » by ROballer » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:05 am

By skill I meant speed/athleticism/shooting/playmaking
Yeah ,I guess finishing at the rim counts as a skill as well.....but it's the least relevant ,at least out of the 4 I mentioned above,which Dragic is elite at exactly 0 of them

....and he is 29 ,mileage or not ...he ain't getting any better,he peaked
And his peak isn't worth 20 mil per year ,sorry
Steve Nash injures his back while carrying bags

Slava wrote:I pulled a hammy while fapping. I won't make fun of Nash.
ALL HAIL
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,213

Post#46 » by ALL HAIL » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:19 am

My "type" of team (main offensive options for each unit bolded):

PG - Kobe Bryant - Shaun Livingston
SG - Josh Richardson - Michael Frazier - Jimmer Fredette
C - Brook Lopez - Karl-Anthony Towns
PF - Kevin Garnett - Julius Randle - Tarik Black
SF - PJ Tucker - Justin Anderson

Towns (Kentucky) with the high first round pick, Anderson (Virginia) with the low first round pick, Richardson (Tennessee) with the high second round pick, and Frazier (Florida) with the low second round pick.

Acquiring Lopez, Tucker, Livingston, and Garnett would be complicated, but with Brooklyn, Phoenix, and Golden State (probably) looking to trim salary and Garnett always looking for a fat check (Lakers could provide it), they're all potentially attainable IMO.

With these types of veterans providing leadership and playing influential minutes, you can feel comfortable with five young rookies in your rotation.
TylersLakers
RealGM

Post#47 » by TylersLakers » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:29 am

I would LOVE Frazier, but I think he stays at Florida one more year. Underwhelming year for him and a brutal season all around for Florida. They'll get a good recruiting class, Brandone Francis back (who was ruled ineligible for this season, HUGE loss) and they'll be ready to roll too.

If he enters though, I would package together both seconds to get him, maybe draft him with the Houston pick. An absolute knock down shooter, pretty good perimeter defender as well.

I also don't think KG goes anywhere. He'll start and now finish his career in Minnesota. Becoming an owner is part of this as well.
ALL HAIL
Lead Assistant

Post#48 » by ALL HAIL » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:43 am

TylersLakers wrote:I would LOVE Frazier, but I think he stays at Florida one more year. Underwhelming year for him and a brutal season all around for Florida. They'll get a good recruiting class, Brandone Francis back (who was ruled ineligible for this season, HUGE loss) and they'll be ready to roll too.

If he enters though, I would package together both seconds to get him, maybe draft him with the Houston pick. An absolute knock down shooter, pretty good perimeter defender as well.

I also don't think KG goes anywhere. He'll start and now finish his career in Minnesota. Becoming an owner is part of this as well.

I didn't think that Frazier was that highly touted. I love his unique shooting combined with athleticism and defense at either guard spot, but I thought most people considered him too short (6'3) to be more than a mid-second round pick.

You're probably right though; he'll probably stay in school--Fredette or another undersized shooter will do just fine however.

Garnett is absolutely a reach, I understand that. He was a slight reach while in Brooklyn, but he's a much larger one now that he's in Minnesota.

If the Lakers offered him a 10 million dollar (or more) salary to come here for a year and play 20 minutes, he just may bite. He loves his money. That Minnesota ownership opportunity ain't goin' anywhere. It's still a reach though, I know. He'd just be really perfect for two youngsters in Randle and Towns.
ALL HAIL
Lead Assistant

Post#49 » by ALL HAIL » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:49 am

Elton Brand could work too in that Garnett role.

Brand would have to come off the bench though, and he'd be relegated to even less minutes than Garnett (probably 10 minutes or so).
TylersLakers
RealGM

Post#50 » by TylersLakers » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:22 am

ALL HAIL wrote:
TylersLakers wrote:I would LOVE Frazier, but I think he stays at Florida one more year. Underwhelming year for him and a brutal season all around for Florida. They'll get a good recruiting class, Brandone Francis back (who was ruled ineligible for this season, HUGE loss) and they'll be ready to roll too.

I didn't think that Frazier was that highly touted. I love his unique shooting combined with athleticism and defense at either guard spot, but I thought most people considered him too short (6'3) to be more than a mid-second round pick.

You're probably right though; he'll probably stay in school--Fredette or another undersized shooter will do just fine however.

Garnett is absolutely a reach, I understand that. He was a slight reach while in Brooklyn, but he's a much larger one now that he's in Minnesota.

If the Lakers offered him a 10 million dollar (or more) salary to come here for a year and play 20 minutes, he just may bite. He loves his money. That Minnesota ownership opportunity ain't goin' anywhere. It's still a reach though, I know. He'd just be really perfect for two youngsters in Randle and Towns.

Totally understand what you mean about KG. I've wanted him for quite a long time, even in the late stages of his career. Guys like Rondo, Perkins, etc - They understand playing D so well and a large reason is because of KG's influence.
5ertwenty
Sophomore
And1: 27

Post#51 » by 5ertwenty » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:45 am

Isn't KG retiring after this season? Wasn't the return to Minny meant to be the final act of his storied career? I don't see him finishing with us. Just doesn't make sense.
Jordan | Kobe | Kareem| Bird | Magic
Lakersteve20
Freshman
And1: 41

Post#52 » by Lakersteve20 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:44 am

Jordan Clarkson/Lin
Kobe Bryant/Young/Ellington
Tobias Harris/Wes
Julius Randle/Kelly
Karl Towns/Black/Upshaw

Return to Los Angeles Lakers