Suns trade Lakers pick to Sixers

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

MelosSoreWrist
Analyst
And1: 1,565

Re: Suns trade Lakers pick to Sixers 

Post#21 » by MelosSoreWrist » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:37 am

DEEP3CL wrote:
dockingsched wrote:Philly probably is willing to accept that the pick is staying with the lakers this season and the sixers are simply happy to have a chance to get a great pick next year when the protection reduces.

After reading the article on the sixers and their approach this lines up with that well.
If we can make some sort of slight improvements we can easily play the pick down. Besides these picks are becoming overrated in a sense that Philly isn't using them to improve their team but as a mean to play NBA monopoly. For a guy like me keeping an eye on college talent....the next few drafts are going to be thin as a sheet of paper in terms of talent.

If you have an eye on college talent you have maybe 3/4 of that years draft covered.

The best prospects in each draft is comprised of freshmen. Then there's the European players. Unless you have eyes on high school guys and Europe, you dont know what future drafts hold.
NYK 455 wrote:
greenhughes wrote:I hope Melo leaves and wins a championship and rubs it all in our face.

How does that make you better than the Lin, Gallo, and Wil fans who root for them over NY?
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#22 » by DEEP3CL » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:38 am

Pointgod wrote:The Lakers only have 2 picks over the next 4 years and not getting any additional picks pretty much eliminates the first two methods.
Not true, our 2015-16 will convey to Philly if we're not in the top 3 of worse records, and the only other pick that's committed is a 2017 1st to Orlando. But due to the Ted Stepien rule Orlando won't get the pick if we're in the top 5, they be reduced to 2nd rounders in 2017 and 2018. After that we'll have 1st round future's to use as assets if need be.And by the looks of it the team may have up to 4 picks this draft. Where did you get your info from ?
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
DEEP3CL
RealGM

Post#23 » by DEEP3CL » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:43 am

MelosSoreWrist wrote:
DEEP3CL wrote:
dockingsched wrote:Philly probably is willing to accept that the pick is staying with the lakers this season and the sixers are simply happy to have a chance to get a great pick next year when the protection reduces.

After reading the article on the sixers and their approach this lines up with that well.
If we can make some sort of slight improvements we can easily play the pick down. Besides these picks are becoming overrated in a sense that Philly isn't using them to improve their team but as a mean to play NBA monopoly. For a guy like me keeping an eye on college talent....the next few drafts are going to be thin as a sheet of paper in terms of talent.

If you have an eye on college talent you have maybe 3/4 of that years draft covered.

The best prospects in each draft is comprised of freshmen. Then there's the European players. Unless you have eyes on high school guys and Europe, you dont know what future drafts hold.
You're right I don't know what the future holds, but just going by what I see on the high school circuit and present college players....there are no game changing/ elite one and done's out there. And the Euro levels aren't producing quality talent like in the past.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
Hector_Reyes_8
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,331

Post#24 » by Hector_Reyes_8 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:47 am

Ironic how those two teams are 2 of my 3 least favorite in the league.
On Harden being MVP of this season ( I don't even like Harden much)

Kawhi M8 wrote:He will be the biggest joke of an MVP to ever win.
Ever.
Absolute spud of a bloke and **** traits as a player, basically tarnish the MVP forever
laduane1
Banned User
And1: 29

Post#25 » by laduane1 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:32 am

Not sure it is legal. Why did the Lakers not trade a player to Suns for the rights to there own pick back. Well at lease if they loose the pick, it will not go to the Suns. Feel a little better about that.
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,673

Post#26 » by Pointgod » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:23 pm

DEEP3CL wrote:
Pointgod wrote:The Lakers only have 2 picks over the next 4 years and not getting any additional picks pretty much eliminates the first two methods.
Not true, our 2015-16 will convey to Philly if we're not in the top 3 of worse records, and the only other pick that's committed is a 2017 1st to Orlando. But due to the Ted Stepien rule Orlando won't get the pick if we're in the top 5, they be reduced to 2nd rounders in 2017 and 2018. After that we'll have 1st round future's to use as assets if need be.And by the looks of it the team may have up to 4 picks this draft. Where did you get your info from ?

If we're bad enough to get a top 3 pick in 2016, that runs counter intuitive to actually improving during free agency. Again if we're still bad enough to be top 5 in 2017, that would have meant 4 straight lottery seasons and we would have missed out on the front office's grand free agent plans. Welcome to being the 76ers of the West!

The front office should just give up on all trades where we aren't getting a pick back.
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#27 » by Ballerhogger » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:51 pm

so we get to keep this pick if we lose enough right? :)
LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Post#28 » by LApwnd » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:01 pm

Ballerhogger wrote:so we get to keep this pick if we lose enough right? :)

has to be top 3 at a min to have that gurantee, but there's always a chance 3 teams outside the bottom 3 that can jump into it although I never actually seen it happen, I think 2 is the most I've seen.
ALL HAIL
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,213

Post#29 » by ALL HAIL » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:33 pm

LApwnd wrote:
Ballerhogger wrote:so we get to keep this pick if we lose enough right? :)

has to be top 3 at a min to have that gurantee, but there's always a chance 3 teams outside the bottom 3 that can jump into it although I never actually seen it happen, I think 2 is the most I've seen.

It has to be top-2 for the pick to be guaranteed.

Although, you are right, there have never been three teams to leapfrog the three worst teams in the league for those top three spots.

The goal, however, should be to secure that number two spot. At this point, the only thing in the way is morality and pride.

As awful as it may look, let us have absolutely no shame.
laduane1
Banned User

Post#30 » by laduane1 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:14 pm

76ers just might have stolen the 6th over all pick.
VIPER8382
Sixth Man
And1: 105

Post#31 » by VIPER8382 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:46 pm

DEEP3CL wrote:

Neither post quoted above is correct. The Lakers 2015 1st will go to Philly if it is outside of the top 5. If the pick goes this year then the Lakers owe their 2017 1st to ORL with top 5 protection in 17 and 18, unprotected in 19.

If the Lakers keep their 1st this year, then their 2016 1st goes to Philly if it is outside of the top 3. If the pick goes next year then the Lakers owe their 2018 1st to ORL with top 5 protection in 18, unprotected in 19.

If the Lakers keep their 1st both this year and next, then their 2017 1st goes to Philly if it is outside of the top 3. If the pick goes to Philly in 17, then the Lakers owe Orlando their unprotected first in 19.

If the Lakers keep their pick all of these seasons then Philly gets their 2018 1st unprotected, and Orlando gets their 2017 and 2018 2nd rounders.

Even under the worst case scenario of the Lakers giving up their 1st this season, the least 1st round picks that they could have in the next 4 years is 3. Not to mention they will also have a nice 2nd this season, and owe no future 2nds unless they keep their 1st long enough that Orlando gets 2nds instead of the 1st.
DEEP3CL
RealGM

Post#32 » by DEEP3CL » Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:05 am

VIPER8382 wrote:
DEEP3CL wrote:

Neither post quoted above is correct. The Lakers 2015 1st will go to Philly if it is outside of the top 5. If the pick goes this year then the Lakers owe their 2017 1st to ORL with top 5 protection in 17 and 18, unprotected in 19.

If the Lakers keep their 1st this year, then their 2016 1st goes to Philly if it is outside of the top 3. If the pick goes next year then the Lakers owe their 2018 1st to ORL with top 5 protection in 18, unprotected in 19.

If the Lakers keep their 1st both this year and next, then their 2017 1st goes to Philly if it is outside of the top 3. If the pick goes to Philly in 17, then the Lakers owe Orlando their unprotected first in 19.

If the Lakers keep their pick all of these seasons then Philly gets their 2018 1st unprotected, and Orlando gets their 2017 and 2018 2nd rounders.

Even under the worst case scenario of the Lakers giving up their 1st this season, the least 1st round picks that they could have in the next 4 years is 3. Not to mention they will also have a nice 2nd this season, and owe no future 2nds unless they keep their 1st long enough that Orlando gets 2nds instead of the 1st.
Good post but it's kinda obvious at this point that Philly WON'T be getting this lottery pick in this up coming draft lottery. And my stuff is definitely correct because I have a very reliable site that I use to research the info. Again that pick won't go to Philly when it has a 37% chance to finish in the top 3, and if you look at both bold statements I mentioned how those picks would be conveyed to Orlando.

Bottom line is you can't trade 1st rounders back to back as I mentioned about the "Stepien" rule, either way neither Philly nor Orlando are gonna see the owed pick as to the language put to them originally.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,673

Post#33 » by Pointgod » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:58 pm

DEEP3CL wrote:
VIPER8382 wrote:
DEEP3CL wrote:Not true, our 2015-16 will convey to Philly if we're not in the top 3 of worse records, and the only other pick that's committed is a 2017 1st to Orlando. But due to the Ted Stepien rule Orlando won't get the pick if we're in the top 5, they be reduced to 2nd rounders in 2017 and 2018. After that we'll have 1st round future's to use as assets if need be.And by the looks of it the team may have up to 4 picks this draft. Where did you get your info from ?

Good post but it's kinda obvious at this point that Philly WON'T be getting this lottery pick in this up coming draft lottery. And my stuff is definitely correct because I have a very reliable site that I use to research the info. Again that pick won't go to Philly when it has a 37% chance to finish in the top 3, and if you look at both bold statements I mentioned how those picks would be conveyed to Orlando.

Bottom line is you can't trade 1st rounders back to back as I mentioned about the "Stepien" rule, either way neither Philly nor Orlando are gonna see the owed pick as to the language put to them originally.

I think his point is that there is a strong probability that Philly will see the Laker's 2016 pick seeing that the margin for error for us landing in the top 3 is small. And if Philly gets the 2016 pick, then Orlando will get the 2018 assuming again we're not a bottom 5 team and will get an unprotected pick 2019. Really all of us are correct, it just depends on the situation. The only way that we don't give away 2 of our picks in the next 4 years is if we're pathetic for 3 straight years. My post was based on the most likely scenario.
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,513

Post#34 » by Michael Lucky » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:02 pm

Yeah if we keep the pick this year it's still very likely to be a good pick next year. There simply isn't enough time or available players out there to make us a playoff team in a single year. Another reason why I think it's important to keep our pick this year instead of just looking at the safety net of having one the following year if we lose it. We need to start building some young assets and not drag out this rebuilding process.
Mamba Venom
RealGM
And1: 580

Post#35 » by Mamba Venom » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:09 am

Oak (Roy)
Randle (ineligible for Roy)
Max contract/all-star trade
Kobe
Max contract/all-star trade

Play-offs!
Sign me up!!!
Lakers are 22-3 in OT last 6 seasons:Kobe best OT closer!
laduane1
Banned User

Post#36 » by laduane1 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:40 am

Well beat the Celtics. not good. Next at Utah. Pick might be in 76ers hands. Dam...

Return to Los Angeles Lakers