ImageImageImageImageImage

Point Guard With The Bullets

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

TwoStarz
Analyst
And1: 1,842

Re: Re: Point Guard With The Bullets 

Post#41 » by TwoStarz » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:17 pm

mcscotty wrote:I'd rather re-sign Lin than go with Rondo. No joke.
lmao, my exact feelings. In this league where shooting is so important, especially from the guards, rondo just doesn't belong

Sent from my GT-I9505G using RealGM Forums mobile app
TwoStarz
Analyst
And1: 1,842

Re: Re: Re: Point Guard With The Bullets 

Post#42 » by TwoStarz » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:18 pm

TwoStarz wrote:
mcscotty wrote:I'd rather re-sign Lin than go with Rondo. No joke.
lmao, my exact feelings. In this league where shooting is so important, especially from the guards, rondo just doesn't belong

Oops.. Quoted myself
ALL HAIL
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,213

Re: Point Guard With The Bullets 

Post#43 » by ALL HAIL » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:43 pm

TyCobb wrote:You say Rajon, I say Rajon...

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/ ... er=ya5nbcs

Tim MacMahon of ESPN:

The reality is Rondo’s run with the Mavs is extremely unlikely to extend past this season.

Ken Berger of CBSSports.com:

There are rumblings among rival front offices that Rondo might just be the personality type to forego a five-year deal with the Mavs for a four-year deal with the team of his choice — the Lakers.

Uhoh.

Explain the title.
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,818

Post#44 » by TyCobb » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:46 pm

ALL HAIL wrote:Explain the title.

:lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i34QJTdGjU4

:52
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
MAMBAEMD
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,622

Post#45 » by MAMBAEMD » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:16 pm

I don't think Rondo is the best point guard out there. But I think he'd be a good PG to rebuild around, specially since we'll have a core of young bigs like Randle and whomever we draft this year.
I'd still rather go after Dragic, but if he stays with Miami, then I'd go after Rondo.
The more I think about it, he is a tough competitor, he sounds like he wants to play for the P&G, he' unselfish and a good defender, he rebounds, and I really think he'll attract free agents to LA.
Formerly lakerRD
LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Post#46 » by LApwnd » Sun Mar 1, 2015 12:54 am

mgmt should NEVER listen to Kobe and his personnel request, this is the same guy who wanted us to trade Bynum for anything just so he can win faster. Granted Bynum turned into a washed up dbag but still....
ALL HAIL
Lead Assistant

Post#47 » by ALL HAIL » Sun Mar 1, 2015 2:10 am

I've always loved Rondo's game (when he was efficient), but these days he's a role player, a utility man.

How much different these days is Rondo from Evan Turner?

They're both (roughly) 8-8-8 guys. That sh-t ain't worth big money, especially when you have major, major Achilles heals (free throw shooting and jumps shooting).

I really think some of you all are either lacking in basketball acumen or just really, really desperate to sign someone ... anyone.

Rondo is a big name and does offer intangibles, but he's a horrible fit with his deficiencies ... unless he comes at a roleplayer's price, which he won't.

I wouldn't pay him more than 7 or 8 million to be honest.

Like every other knowledgeable, sane poster on this thread ... I'll pass.
what would jack bauer do?
Veteran
And1: 295

Post#48 » by what would jack bauer do? » Sun Mar 1, 2015 2:13 am

Well Jason Kidd wasn't just "anything" he had a lot of basketball left in him at that point even if it wasn't at his superstar level. Dude produced at a very high level for four years after that. But yeah I agree with you and I wouldn't doubt that Kobe agrees with you too.

The question is if there's no Reggie Jackson and no Dragic available, the Lakers have to spend their money on someone in order to recruit Durant or whoever we're targeting, right? We can't just hang on to cap space this offseason, we need to be competitive next year to lure someone in. I don't think that guy will be Asik or Monroe (since he doesn't fit with randle) and we can't get Marc Gasol. So Rondo is pretty much all there is left out there. And in all reality Rondo is a player that compliments our terrible offense that Scott wants to run and our young players in Clarkson, Randle, Towns/Okafor well.
ALL HAIL
Lead Assistant

Post#49 » by ALL HAIL » Sun Mar 1, 2015 3:26 am

what would jack bauer do? wrote:Well Jason Kidd wasn't just "anything" he had a lot of basketball left in him at that point even if it wasn't at his superstar level. Dude produced at a very high level for four years after that. But yeah I agree with you and I wouldn't doubt that Kobe agrees with you too.

The question is if there's no Reggie Jackson and no Dragic available, the Lakers have to spend their money on someone in order to recruit Durant or whoever we're targeting, right? We can't just hang on to cap space this offseason, we need to be competitive next year to lure someone in. I don't think that guy will be Asik or Monroe (since he doesn't fit with randle) and we can't get Marc Gasol. So Rondo is pretty much all there is left out there. And in all reality Rondo is a player that compliments our terrible offense that Scott wants to run and our young players in Clarkson, Randle, Towns/Okafor well.

You're suggesting that the "Rondo name" will help in recruiting Durant, but I'm suggesting that the "Rondo play" will not

Why do people think we have to spend money to be respectable? We don't.

I've been recommending Shaun Livingston (who makes 5 mill a year) for the last two months, without a response. Livingston gives you everything that Rondo gives at this point without the price tag.

Also, I question the fit of Rondo next to Randle, Okafor, and (especially) Clarkson.
kblo247
RealGM
And1: 2,130

Post#50 » by kblo247 » Sun Mar 1, 2015 3:32 am

The thing with rondo is he reminds me of Kidd. Kidd struggled like all hell his first half year with Dallas. He batted heads about having every playi dictated out to him like rondo is doing now. Kidds stance was I'm a multiple time all star, a guy who orchestrated multiple final trips as the general, and you want to micromanage every fn play to me. Kidd eventually gave in and changed his style up and even focused on the 3pt ball. Rondo is having a similar struggle, allstar, champion, etc and you want to bark out fn orders every trip down. I think he rather be trusted like doc did and how Phil did Kobe. There will be times a set will need to be called, but there's no real need to call out everything to him, let alone yell it while walking down the court. The problem Carlisle is having would be similar if Dragic or Lawson were there as woo as he's much more open minded with what he lets his SG get to do than his pg, and no pg in the league besides maybe CP or Deron are at the stage where they will succumb to that right now IMO, maybe Rose too

Rondo is a bit of what we need as a personality. Kobe if he retires next year or a year after just isn't enough to break the nice off thse guys. You know why Lin, hill, Swaggy ain't amounted to **** despite their individual talents, same with Wes and Ed even, they are too nice. No chummy. They need some pricks around them who rather slap them upside the head than help them up to teach them how to all be part of winning teams. And personally I rather have two dicks molding Randle into someone like ZBO who has a chip and doesn't take **** than someone like the lot of them all are
kblo247
RealGM

Post#51 » by kblo247 » Sun Mar 1, 2015 3:36 am

also no shocker rondo went the **** off vs us and then hit the market after his showing. He wanted la or he wouldn't be getting breakfast with Kobe and just attacking that game.
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,675

Post#52 » by Pointgod » Sun Mar 1, 2015 5:23 am

I'd rather have Rondo at 8-12 million vs Dragic at 20 million. A lot of you posters don't seem to understand the concept of buying low. Yeah Rondo needs to be surrounded by shooters to be effective. You know who else is effective when surrounded by shooters? Kobe Muthafuvkcin Bryant! Milsap, Monta Ellis, Al Jefferson, Kyle Lowry are all examples of players who signed below their market value but were difference makers on their respective teams. It's time that the Lakers start getting some steals.
ALL HAIL
Lead Assistant

Post#53 » by ALL HAIL » Sun Mar 1, 2015 5:33 am

Pointgod wrote:I'd rather have Rondo at 8-12 million vs Dragic at 20 million. A lot of you posters don't seem to understand the concept of buying low. Yeah Rondo needs to be surrounded by shooters to be effective. You know who else is effective when surrounded by shooters? Kobe Muthafuvkcin Bryant! Milsap, Monta Ellis, Al Jefferson, Kyle Lowry are all examples of players who signed below their market value but were difference makers on their respective teams. It's time that the Lakers start getting some steals.

Rondo can't shoot. He can't shoot free throws, he can't hit from midrange, and he can't hit threes.

He's a role-player who hasn't recovered all that well from injury.

Can he still play? Of course. But at 10 mill he'd be far from a steal.

You're only as valuable as the number of people who want you, and that number for Rondo is pretty meager right now, especially at a 10 million dollar price tag.
kblo247
RealGM

Post#54 » by kblo247 » Sun Mar 1, 2015 7:06 am

We Pay a Lin 15 and we paid Nash 30 to do nothing. Rondo wouldn't hurt us. We are talking about the money some of you want to give to Ed Davis I mean. And his free throws are misleading, what's he attempted on the year .. 61? That's a week for a lot of guys. Case and pint Nick has taken almost 150 so far. It's not like teams are going to go hack him like DJ or Dwight
ALL HAIL
Lead Assistant

Post#55 » by ALL HAIL » Sun Mar 1, 2015 1:00 pm

kblo247 wrote:We Pay a Lin 15 and we paid Nash 30 to do nothing. Rondo wouldn't hurt us. We are talking about the money some of you want to give to Ed Davis I mean. And his free throws are misleading, what's he attempted on the year .. 61? That's a week for a lot of guys. Case and pint Nick has taken almost 150 so far. It's not like teams are going to go hack him like DJ or Dwight

Awful argument here.

First of all, why are you comparing the value of a potential Rondo contract to two awful ones? Nash was severely overpaid, for one year so is Lin. You want to justify signing Rondo by bringing up how much they've paid Nash and Lin, but you're only making my point that he'd be yet another bad, untradeable contract.

Then you try to justify Rondo's horrendous free throw shooting by bringing up his lack of attempts. Again, you must be sleepy homie, because there's a reason for his lack of attempts--he doesn't penetrate because he doesn't want to shoot free throws.

Signing Rondo would be the classic case of spending money cuz you "got it". Other than his exceptional rebounding, he's not really helping the Lakers.

Signing him to anything over 8 or 9 million would be idiotic.
mcscotty
Rookie
And1: 486

Post#56 » by mcscotty » Sun Mar 1, 2015 1:19 pm

I don't really want the Celtics' sloppy seconds, or the GoZo show at max. Clarkson is playing well and we might have Russel or Mudiay next season. Get that pick and we're getting almost a sure thing, whether it be in the frontcourt or the back.
kblo247
RealGM

Post#57 » by kblo247 » Sun Mar 1, 2015 1:51 pm

Since when is a pick a sure thing? If we don't get rondo or Dragic, I think la goes calling for Jennings again tbh on his great deal.
MistyMountain20
General Manager
And1: 7,166

Post#58 » by MistyMountain20 » Sun Mar 1, 2015 4:20 pm

Rondo + Scott are bound to be a horrendous mix. An emphatic no to Rondo.
ALL HAIL
Lead Assistant

Post#59 » by ALL HAIL » Sun Mar 1, 2015 4:52 pm

kblo247 wrote:Since when is a pick a sure thing? If we don't get rondo or Dragic, I think la goes calling for Jennings again tbh on his great deal.

I'm not a "let's depend on this young rookie" type of dude either, but, to be fair, he did say "almost".

I think you know what he's saying. Don't twist his words.
kblo247
RealGM

Post#60 » by kblo247 » Sun Mar 1, 2015 8:28 pm

ALL HAIL wrote:
kblo247 wrote:Since when is a pick a sure thing? If we don't get rondo or Dragic, I think la goes calling for Jennings again tbh on his great deal.

I'm not a "let's depend on this young rookie" type of dude either, but, to be fair, he did say "almost".

I think you know what he's saying. Don't twist his words.

Almost implies the majority of theu me its a sure thing. The last few classes no. Durant, Russ, wall, harden, and Steph are the last picks to have impact once the Bron class and kobe generation ... You throw out Kyrie, Love, Davis, cousins, and I'm go ask you what's they win percentages and games played as the man? Oh they are all losers and missed a ton of games and played B and C to real talent and stars. This last class of vaunted game changers haven't did anything at all but miss games and blow expectations, Burke and MCW haven't got it, Favors hasn't impacted winning, and so on. Almost implies a better than 50% chance of being good and helping a team win. That ain't walking in the door from these drafts and no player is signing up to waste their career on what ifs and bad over established and mediocre which is rondo and Dragic types

Return to Los Angeles Lakers