ImageImageImageImageImage

Do officials deserve to be called out for making mistakes?

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

aaron_gray
Analyst
And1: 979

Do officials deserve to be called out for making mistakes? 

Post#1 » by aaron_gray » Mon Mar 2, 2015 2:54 pm

So as everyone has heard by now, the nba is going to implement a play by play to show whether or not officials have made mistakes. Of course, we have to remember that officials are human, and will naturally make mistakes given the game's speed. The announcers yesterday for I think the Bulls game were talking about how this new play by play thing was unfair for officials. So that begs the question: is it fair for officials to be called out for their mistakes, given that it's almost impossible to avoid them altogether?

I think there needs to be some leniency, but there also comes a point where when an official goes power tripping or makes/misses a ton of bad calls, this person in question needs to be called out. It'll also be good for telling which referees are truly at the top of their profession, or the ones that make the least amount of errors. Maybe we'll get a stat called call % for referees soon. It would be a great way to appreciate those who do do a good job, considering it's usually unnoticeable and under appreciated when refs get all the calls right.
TyCobb wrote:Embiid at peak value after reaching a new maturity level.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,445

Re: Do officials deserve to be called out for making mistakes? 

Post#2 » by Slava » Mon Mar 2, 2015 4:21 pm

Best way to balance the act is to give the coaches video challenges like time outs, even if a ref messes up a call it won't appear as bad if its not deciding a game. If the game gets slowed down, remove intentional fouling and on-ball time outs like in international games.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#3 » by Kilroy » Mon Mar 2, 2015 4:54 pm

IMO one bad call doesn't decide a game... Like they told us in high school, you shouldn't have put yourself in that situation in the first place.
I think it's only really a problem when there are a pattern of bad calls that effect a game or series of games.

The biggest problem for me is that the written rules of the game seem to be open for interpretation.... A blown foul call, a blown out of bounds call, or whatever, isn't a problem IMO... What's a problem is when a player like Harden is called differently than say a player like Cousins. A foul is a foul... It shouldn't matter who is getting fouled or which teams are playing. And that is what the league should definitely get called out for... But won't.

I also think refs get away with too many vendettas... There are certain refs we all know just "don't like" a certain player or team, and everyone accepts that as just part of the game... IMO, if a ref displays a tendency like that, it should be grounds for disciplinary action...

All in all, I don't like the role of Ref as Foil in the NBA... I don't want the NBA to be WWE... I just want to enjoy the game for what it is, and the only way that's possible is if the rules are enforced in a seamless and consistent way.

A blown call here in there doesn't even register with me... A pattern does, though.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Post#4 » by LApwnd » Mon Mar 2, 2015 11:04 pm

I'd say let coaches/players vent bout terrible officials after games too but also let officials call out whinny cry babies like Cp3, Porkins, and any other players who constantly wines to them during games.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers