ImageImageImageImageImage

Scott: Some players might shoot me in the back

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

ALL HAIL
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,213

Re: Scott: Some players might shoot me in the back 

Post#81 » by ALL HAIL » Wed Apr 8, 2015 10:20 am

Jakay wrote:Cap space, as he said. I don't personally think that has such a big impact on the overall picture with all the expirings on this team, but I also don't care to argue the merits of a few million on the overall picture.

I would think though that he's saying the fifth pick won't have any more impact to the first pick, so why pay more?

No, he said I prefer "none at all", meaning, he would rather lose the pick entirely, to which I would call blo an ideologue or a grumpy hack.

He's so deeply engrained in his own anti-draft narrative, he can't even think straight.
kblo247
RealGM
And1: 2,130

Post#82 » by kblo247 » Wed Apr 8, 2015 7:49 pm

ALL HAIL wrote:That team has some awful balance blo. I'm not sure you know what the hell you're doing.

And why do you prefer no pick at all?

To prove a point?

No pick at all means we have the space to sign 2-3 free agents. We can sign rondo and Mornoe plus have the room exception. We can maybe get creative and sign Wes Matthews, Rondo, and a serviceable C like Kufos while Å¡till having room for Gerald green, which means a whole improvement of the team.

Okafor and towns aren't worth flexibility or another terrible season. The only positive to getting them is if you run into a scenario where Sacramento wants them and you flip them for Cousins. Neither of these touted bigs have anything close to nba bodies or stamina or toughness. I rather have Muiday or Russell but they aren't dropping to 5.

So I think its time to get B players. No one is coming to play with some damn kid. They are coming to play with a core and assets. Town and Okafor aren't assets that makes a free agent the very next summer lets go to LA. We need Nick, Eddie, and Eldens not potential that will take 2-3 years to be ready to start and even play 20 minutes.

Plus not getting this pick would probably wake the front office the **** up as that would put Jim and Mitch against a wall like when Kobe had his trade me tirade, as that's year 3 and they would be removed as Jeanie has said over and over in the media will happen without a playoff run next year. I rather them be frantic over being rewarded for tanking, and they would be frantic because there no way in hell to get a pick in 16 of we stunk for the third year straight

But long and short of it is the first and second pick won't impact the game that much at all next year, just impact our flexibility. Why lose a couple extra million in space for them that can be used to better this team? Towns and Okafor are consensus 1 and 2 and they will be projects. We don't need a project, we need a contributor, and at a lesser price you know Muiday, Russell, Winslow, or Mario are likely contributors sooner, and tbh in this day and age they are more likely to have longer careers than big guys
ak7
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,383

Post#83 » by ak7 » Wed Apr 8, 2015 7:53 pm

It must be me, but I'd much rather have Okafor or KAT then some B-list free agents and an offshot in hell that maybe I can attract a big name free agent in a year or two.

You don't need Nick, Eddie or Campbell if you want KD or Westbrook.. you need a much bigger name than that. It's a new NBA where stars take the extra 20-30 million on a 5th year or join a team with another bonafide superstar and that's it. Not turn down 20-30 million on a 5th year to go play with less than all-star players.
kblo247
RealGM

Post#84 » by kblo247 » Wed Apr 8, 2015 7:58 pm

Al Jefferson lite and Samuel Dalembert lite don't excited me. I don't really like wcs either because he hasn't put it together yet and he has a health asterisk. Give me a perimeter player over these bigs everyday
ak7
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,383

Post#85 » by ak7 » Wed Apr 8, 2015 8:31 pm

I would much rather have Okafor, KAT or WCS over someone like Wes Matthews any day of the week and twice on sundays just based on ceilings.
kblo247
RealGM

Post#86 » by kblo247 » Wed Apr 8, 2015 8:44 pm

Based on what ceiling. Okafor a ceiling is Al or Shareef. Lots of points with some boards and no d at all. He doesn't even complete on that end, he's lost and what's worse he doesn't try. Towns is a spectrum of Dalembert to Ibaka I admit, bit man that loves to block shots from the weak side, but can't defend the post a lick one on one, gets winded quick, has no post game, settles for jumpers, and can't board in traffic vs size. A wcs is mobile and active but has no O, has a disorder which could severely limit his career, and is like Hill on crack with his effort, but it doesn't translate to 30 mins Nightly

Give me a proven player or give me some perimeter guys with nba bodies while we use out cap on a true nba big. I'd gladly trade towns or Okafor on draft night for Cousins or even Ibaka
ALL HAIL
Lead Assistant

Post#87 » by ALL HAIL » Wed Apr 8, 2015 9:16 pm

I feel you on the wake up call blo, but if this were your team, I mean if you were charged with running this team, would you still want to lose the pick? I mean we're talking about a four million dollar salary dude. Four million bucks!

In one breath you defend Nick Young and his contract, and in another breath you say that three or four million a year is too much money to invest in a young kid with potential.

So inadvertently you are saying that Nick Young and his contract is more important than a top five pick.

"I don't believe you ... You need more people."
kblo247
RealGM

Post#88 » by kblo247 » Wed Apr 8, 2015 9:44 pm

I'm saying Nick is worth more than the 1 or 2 in terms of what he will bring over the following 2-3 years. I don't value Okafor or towns at all. I'm okay with picking when its Russel, Muiday, or Mario/Winslow and the caphold is lower. Personally I think their ceilings are higher than either of the bigs or wcs. I just see them as long term projects who even at their best won't help a team win outside a bit role as the third or fourth guy.

I guess you think towns, Okafor or wcs will help a team sooner than I do, as I do not see them being useful till we come to the last year of their deal when they are going to need to be re-upped at a higher value. To me they just don't have the game, the body, the stamina, or the mentality for the next level. I think a perimeter player between 3-5 is more likely to contribute sooner and we will actually get something out of them while they cost less.

Conversely I'm okay with no pick at all because it backs Mitch in a corner to make **** happen, and I think he would find some magic to make something happen over past years where he's left us stuck with proverbial dick in hand while we only lose guys for nothing
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,513

Post#89 » by Michael Lucky » Wed Apr 8, 2015 11:01 pm

Okafor is arguably the most NBA ready player in the draft (Russell is the only other player in that convo). Not sure where you see project here. Maybe defensively.
miggs
Lead Assistant
And1: 446

Post#90 » by miggs » Thu Apr 9, 2015 12:04 am

Kblo, you like me, seem to know very little about ncaa prospects. I find that I knew so little, man I wanted Thomas Robinson badly when he came in the league. I figured we needed a low post pf and I saw him as that based on what I READ and WATCHED, despite this, I notice I always miss details on prospects, details that sometimes have been the difference between bust or at least a role player.

I can tell because you have mudiay so high above okafor and towns, that tells me all I need to know.

Let me ask you, why do you like Mudiay? He almost literally appears in every one of your posts. I'd also like to know you're assessment on Winslow and Hezonja, because straight up, all those 3 names to me, look more like role players compared to okafor and towns. Russell we seem to agree on.
2014: Randle / Clarkson
2015: Russell / Nance
2016: Ingram / Zubac
2017: Top 3 Pick? :nod: Fultz, Ball or Bust
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#91 » by DEEP3CL » Thu Apr 9, 2015 12:24 am

I agree with you ALL HAIL and let me back up some of your quotes...

ALL HAIL wrote:
I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I was extremely harsh on the old coach. Am I being less harsh on Scott because of sentimentality? I really don't think so.
I was hard on the last 2 coaches and Byron also, but I don't think a lot of guys here understand what Byron said his main MO was....restoring the culture. It hasn't sunk in with guys here. The last 2 guys did everything in their power to try to separate themselves from Laker culture by doing BS stuff. Brown tried to have a picture from the back to back team removed from the practice facility lockeroom. MDA tried to change up traditional ways the team traveled....all BS.

ALL HAIL wrote:Again, speaking only for myself, my biggest problem with the old coach was his seemingly inability to utilize bigmen. I has way less to do win them losing last year and more to do with how players were being utilized.
Agree, it's the reason in a small percentage of why Howard bounced. And half of the reason Pau bounced, and all of the reason Kaman bounced and he dissed Kaman way more than the other two. And we damn near wasn't going to have Hill had MDA returned.

ALL HAIL wrote:Also, Scott is not any more unlikable than D'Antoni. I don't agree with you there at all.
I don't agree with him either on that. Half of this fan base kept calling for the likes of Adelman knowing full well he wasn't going to coach and said as much. Furthermore the talent pool of coaches ready for hire was slim to none, I asked the question flat out after the Scott hire who the hell else was out there ?

Nobody could come up with one credible answer, our only other choice would've been to hire a college coach or a not polished assistant. Hiring Scott was a fail safe hire on many fronts. One it took pressure off Jim and Mitch, Scott was man enough to be the shield for shots when they were fired.....something he knew would be the case. Guys are idiots if they think Scott didn't know this going in.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
kblo247
RealGM

Post#92 » by kblo247 » Thu Apr 9, 2015 1:42 am

miggs wrote:Kblo, you like me, seem to know very little about ncaa prospects. I find that I knew so little, man I wanted Thomas Robinson badly when he came in the league. I figured we needed a low post pf and I saw him as that based on what I READ and WATCHED, despite this, I notice I always miss details on prospects, details that sometimes have been the difference between bust or at least a role player.

I can tell because you have mudiay so high above okafor and towns, that tells me all I need to know.

Let me ask you, why do you like Mudiay? He almost literally appears in every one of your posts. I'd also like to know you're assessment on Winslow and Hezonja, because straight up, all those 3 names to me, look more like role players compared to okafor and towns. Russell we seem to agree on.

I followed them I just don't see anything impressive.

Okafor has no defensive intensity or awareness at all. He's a guy who can't defend the rim, close out, or react to pnr. He is pudgy and has weak hands. He doesnt grab boards by position or force but by being long. Half hearted Pau was tougher. I look at him and I see low budget al because those hooks he takes ve midgets lack the air Al has.he has some moves but he's not a dominant force, and he lacks range and free throw consitency. Not really liking him at all as a force; he's not a 1 or 2 option. He's not commanding a double, not anchoring a D; he's flawed

Towns isn't great at all, hell he's not great at the college level. He doesn't have touch or moves on the block. He settles for a jumper. He doesn't board a lot. He has no base. He isn't this amazing guy at all. To me he screams a cross between dalembert if he doesn't pan out and Ibaka if he does. Personally Ibaka isn't special to me, in fact it's barely a third guy on a contender, just look at the actual Ibaka who only defends on the help side and can't get you double digit boards or score from the post consistently right now; a guy who can't even defend the best opposing big straight up still. That doesn't excite me.

I see Russell and he fits in this open court scoring league. He can drop buckets. He to me screams baby Lillard in this league. He's fast, can score off a dribble, and has a quick step that can be dynamic alongside Clarkson

When I see Muiday I see a PG with better vision than anyone in these past two drafts, he has size, maintains his dribble, and can defend the 1 or 2. I see Livingston pre injury to be honest and as fifth pick he will kill it looking over the D and making the right play for us. I think he will be a good solid player for years to come like 15/9/5 a night. Speaks wonders that he could run a team where there was a language barrier how he did.

Mario to me actually has a lot of intangibles we need and is a wing. He reminds me of parsons and Hayward as his floor and ceiling. He can do a little of everything, shoot off the dribble, has size, gets to his spots, draws contact, and is a guy with balls. He gets in guys faces, and he has some nasty to him. I value his style and what he would bring as a starting 3 and point forward for us, a two way wing.

So that leaves me Winslow who is see as a floor of Metta (not artest) and a ceiling of Leonard. He has great d capabilities but he lacks a shot and if he develops it i see a guy like Leonard. If he doesn't I can see a guy who shoots some corner 3s while left open and bullies guys like Metta in la. If he doesn't meet either of those I see simple hype ala batum who doesn't actuallt stop anyone but can get stats across the board.

I watch them all but I'm not going to call this a franchise changing draft just like I said about last years. They are all just peices and the perimeter ones are better suited to help sooner
TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,812

Post#93 » by TylersLakers » Thu Apr 9, 2015 2:41 am

My opinions for who it is..

- Nick Young
- Jeremy Lin (Inconsistent play, a quitter/complainer, not a Kobe favorite, needs the team to revolve around him to have any success)
- Carlos Boozer (comments earlier in the season)

I really don't think it's Jordan Hill or Ed Davis. He mentioned a few weeks ago he wants Ed Davis back and he was a big component to bringing Hill back apparently. Has started him repeatedly, played him major minutes and Jordan Hill has never complained.

Ty Cobb was 100% right. Hard to evaluate Coach Scott in this season. Bunch of injuries, bunch of scrubs, etc.
ALL HAIL
Lead Assistant

Post#94 » by ALL HAIL » Thu Apr 9, 2015 2:46 am

I don't have a problem with you not liking the bigs.

The problem for me is that even though you seem to like Russell and Mudiay, you still hope the Lakers get no pick at all.

I get you want to stick it to the front office for perceived mistakes, but you must admit that it would be much better and more opportunistic to secure that pick and draft SOMEBODY.

Please say yeah, because if not, you make no sensemble at all dude.

Say yeah and I'll forget that you said Nick Young is more important than a top five pick.

Just say yeah. You're too intelligent to keep up that charade.
Jakay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,928

Post#95 » by Jakay » Thu Apr 9, 2015 3:01 am

DEEP3CL wrote:One it took pressure off Jim and Mitch, Scott was man enough to be the shield for shots when they were fired.....something he knew would be the case. Guys are idiots if they think Scott didn't know this going in.

I don't know that it took the pressure off those two. It seems like any hire would have had the same effect. But Scott's clearly here to weather the storm, and find out who's got grit and who doesn't, but hopefully it doesn't go much beyond next season.

I mean, the lousy rotations, the incomprehensible line-ups... those obviously have a certain goal in mind...

No coach was going look good this year. Actually, no coach at all might have been easier to digest. Just let the players sub themselves in and out.
kblo247
RealGM

Post#96 » by kblo247 » Thu Apr 9, 2015 3:35 am

ALL HAIL wrote:I don't have a problem with you not liking the bigs.

The problem for me is that even though you seem to like Russell and Mudiay, you still hope the Lakers get no pick at all.

I get you want to stick it to the front office for perceived mistakes, but you must admit that it would be much better and more opportunistic to secure that pick and draft SOMEBODY.

Please say yeah, because if not, you make no sensemble at all dude.

Say yeah and I'll forget that you said Nick Young is more important than a top five pick.

ancho
Just say yeah. You're too intelligent to keep up that charade.

I'm hoping we get a 3-5 or no pick at all over taking Okafor/Towns/WCS too early. I don't think their play will justify the capholds or help us win. I rather have as much flexibility as possible come this summer. And most of all do soemthing with said flexibility over punt a year. If we do nothing I'm happily in the throw Mitch, Jim, and Byron into the pacific line
miggs
Lead Assistant
And1: 446

Post#97 » by miggs » Thu Apr 9, 2015 4:22 am

kblo247 wrote:
miggs wrote:Kblo, you like me, seem to know very little about ncaa prospects. I find that I knew so little, man I wanted Thomas Robinson badly when he came in the league. I figured we needed a low post pf and I saw him as that based on what I READ and WATCHED, despite this, I notice I always miss details on prospects, details that sometimes have been the difference between bust or at least a role player.

I followed them I just don't see anything impressive.

Okafor has no defensive intensity or awareness at all. He's a guy who can't defend the rim, close out, or react to pnr. He is pudgy and has weak hands. He doesnt grab boards by position or force but by being long. Half hearted Pau was tougher. I look at him and I see low budget al because those hooks he takes ve midgets lack the air Al has.he has some moves but he's not a dominant force, and he lacks range and free throw consitency. Not really liking him at all as a force; he's not a 1 or 2 option. He's not commanding a double, not anchoring a D; he's flawed

Towns isn't great at all, hell he's not great at the college level. He doesn't have touch or moves on the block. He settles for a jumper. He doesn't board a lot. He has no base. He isn't this amazing guy at all. To me he screams a cross between dalembert if he doesn't pan out and Ibaka if he does. Personally Ibaka isn't special to me, in fact it's barely a third guy on a contender, just look at the actual Ibaka who only defends on the help side and can't get you double digit boards or score from the post consistently right now; a guy who can't even defend the best opposing big straight up still. That doesn't excite me.

I see Russell and he fits in this open court scoring league. He can drop buckets. He to me screams baby Lillard in this league. He's fast, can score off a dribble, and has a quick step that can be dynamic alongside Clarkson

When I see Muiday I see a PG with better vision than anyone in these past two drafts, he has size, maintains his dribble, and can defend the 1 or 2. I see Livingston pre injury to be honest and as fifth pick he will kill it looking over the D and making the right play for us. I think he will be a good solid player for years to come like 15/9/5 a night. Speaks wonders that he could run a team where there was a language barrier how he did.

Mario to me actually has a lot of intangibles we need and is a wing. He reminds me of parsons and Hayward as his floor and ceiling. He can do a little of everything, shoot off the dribble, has size, gets to his spots, draws contact, and is a guy with balls. He gets in guys faces, and he has some nasty to him. I value his style and what he would bring as a starting 3 and point forward for us, a two way wing.

So that leaves me Winslow who is see as a floor of Metta (not artest) and a ceiling of Leonard. He has great d capabilities but he lacks a shot and if he develops it i see a guy like Leonard. If he doesn't I can see a guy who shoots some corner 3s while left open and bullies guys like Metta in la. If he doesn't meet either of those I see simple hype ala batum who doesn't actuallt stop anyone but can get stats across the board.

I watch them all but I'm not going to call this a franchise changing draft just like I said about last years. They are all just peices and the perimeter ones are better suited to help sooner

You're just picking Okafor's worst traits and defining his whole game based on them. I have seen far different from what you've seen and again, I'd say I suck with ncaa prospects but it's pretty clear to me Okafor will have no problem getting buckets in the paint at the nba level. However, i do agree I wish he was tougher and more motivated on D but he's dominant in the post, no doubt about that.

I disagree on Towns too. The reason Towns settles for jumpers is the system that Calipari uses, I mean dude c'mon he shares the rotation with another lottery big and Dakari, a late-2nd round big. Calipari has been coaching this kid since 2011 with the Dominican team. He knows his game and knows his greatest gift is his versatility. He can flourish from the high post or on the low block, I think you'll see differently once you see these guys in action during the summer league, or maybe it'll take you longer, I know I have doubted some players sometimes.

See i feel you, like many lately, overrate winslow. Mudiay only has youtube vids, no legit full games to be seen thus far, much like Exum and well he hasn't been up to the hype, although he will be a nice piece for Utah and likely will makes trey burke expendable, i think it's him, i stupidly confuse bruke with one of their other young guards, but yea I think most of their board felt they overpaid for burke right?

Mudiay doesn't sell me at all, especially not with edited highlights where motive isn't hard to find at all. As for Hezonja, I don't know yet, I like euro cats but I'm not fully sold on him yet. Then again, I was unsure of mirotic and look what he's been doing for chicago this year after spending more time in europe after being drafted.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with this draft, as I feel despite how much you say you have watched, may not have picked up on finer details of each of these players game. I think you'd feel differently of Mudiay if you saw him play a full game. I know you passionately defend your positions on this board, and sometimes you're right on the money, but on this one, you can't even find a penny brother. I just think we'll agree to disagree

As my little brother says, you like it, i love it.
2014: Randle / Clarkson
2015: Russell / Nance
2016: Ingram / Zubac
2017: Top 3 Pick? :nod: Fultz, Ball or Bust
ALL HAIL
Lead Assistant

Post#98 » by ALL HAIL » Thu Apr 9, 2015 4:34 am

kblo247 wrote:I'm hoping we get a 3-5 or no pick at all over taking Okafor/Towns/WCS too early. I don't think their play will justify the capholds or help us win. I rather have as much flexibility as possible come this summer.

I hear you my fiscally conservative friend.

That 400,000 dollar difference in salary between three and two is a gut-wrencher. And that 800,000 difference between three and the first pick is unthinkable.

We could do a lot with that extra scratch.

I can see you right now rolling up pennies in the back of your VW van; gotta save on that rent!

From one cheap muthaf---a to another, you're a cheap-ass muthaf---a!

Again, you're too intelligent for this dude.

You do realize you can win the draft lottery, then trade back to three, four, or five.

It would've been so much less complicated to just say Russell, Mudiay, Winslow, and Mario are better than the bigs, and just leave it at that.

Instead, you chose to take the long way, intimating that you really hope they miss out completely on the pick, then circling back to "well, these guys wouldn't be so bad".

You're a funny dude blo.

Lastly though, and most inexplicable, to think that, in your mind, paying (and starting) space cadet Javele McGee 3 million a year (mind you with Boozer as the backup at 2.5 mill) is somehow a better plan than drafting (let's just say) Okafor at one and paying him 1.5 million more than McGee is just silly.

I'm all about fit and drafting for need dude, but to imply that Javele 'effin McGee would be a more valuable piece than Okafor or Towns, or somehow not worth the extra 1.5 million is utterly preposterous.

Even if Okafor or Towns aren't ready, aren't they still more valuable, and more attractive to free agents (your thesis), than rolling out Javele McGee and Carlos Boozer as your centers?

I still respect your opinions blo, and I'll continue to laud your intelligence, but stop being so damn stubborn.
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,819

Post#99 » by TyCobb » Thu Apr 9, 2015 4:37 am

Just called him 'boo'. Must be on his phone. :lol:
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
ALL HAIL
Lead Assistant

Post#100 » by ALL HAIL » Thu Apr 9, 2015 4:41 am

TyCobb wrote:Just called him 'boo'. Must be on his phone. :lol:

Had to fix that really quick. That didn't sound very manly at all.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers