ImageImageImageImageImage

Lakers Begin 2015 Draft Workouts

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

DadoTheRabbet
Sophomore
And1: 32

Re: Lakers Begin 2015 Draft Workouts 

Post#21 » by DadoTheRabbet » Wed May 27, 2015 12:56 am

kblo247 wrote:And past bad drafting and scouting comes into play when discussing current drafting and scouting when Mitch has been the gm of the millennium who hasn't been good with his picks unlike west. They need to look hard at talent and character, not in terms of what they hope these cats might be like they've done with all those clowns before, but in terms of who actually can play and know a how to use their bodies and skills now.

There's no reason, short of them being picked ahead of you that you shouldn't know damn well know the best players in the 20s are RHJ, T.Jones, and Upshaw. Guys who know how to actually play the game, know how to actually control their bodies, and aren't projects like Kelly, Ebanks, and the bunch as you try to recreate a lite version of Ariza and Radmanovic/Luke. There's no reason that the 30s pick isn't Delon Wright based off actual skill set and his ability to come into the league as an older guy and be solid

And again, stop with all the bs censorship because you can't take the truth that I've been dishing to you over the past couple years from the Nash trade on about our drafting, coaching, and the like. The past isn't just the past. If it's repeated and we go with what we have been doing, we can end up with some whack ass picks and a wasted chance to get 3 rotational players like past years. I want actual talent on this team, not castaways who will be out the league. I also will not pretend its roses when the lakers brass is in the sewers by their own steering. We got to refocus this summer in the draft, in free agency, and on our coaching staff by selecting new scouts, assistants, and techniques to better ourselves. That's what will make Randle/Okafor become a front court to be fear and our team be relavant again

You make a tremendous amount of sense. I can't really argue with anything you've posted in this thread. But I must comment with regard to one thing.

You spoke of character in a previous post. Upshaw raises some intriguing possibilities as a player but brings along a train-car full of baggage. Kicked off two teams? And, yes, it does look like he might have straightened himself out but do you really take that chance.

Personally, I like him for the 34th pick. But know that this boy has issues. And, if you're going to come down on Mitch & Co. for not taking such issues into consideration I'd have to call that borderline hypocrisy on your part.

Not a major deal, but something I thought should be considered.
If more people thought like I do, the world would be a much better place. :nod:
Mirjalovic
Head Coach
And1: 1,780

Post#22 » by Mirjalovic » Wed May 27, 2015 1:01 am

DadoTheRabbet wrote:
kblo247 wrote:They need 4 groups. Lotto, 1st round, early second, late second which they can buy with Sacre/Kelly

As I understand it, you cannot trade players for picks. You still have to match salaries and picks are worth $0.

no, teams can trade players for picks, as long the trade partner has capspace
shawn_hemp wrote: a guy who is far worse than Robert Covington in Brandon Ingram, and a guy who is no better than TJ McConnell or Tony Wroten in D'Angelo Russell.

Sixers fans...

aaron_gray
Analyst
And1: 979

Re: Lakers Draft Workouts 2015 

Post#23 » by aaron_gray » Wed May 27, 2015 4:10 am

Michael Lucky wrote:
kblo247 wrote:
Slava wrote:That's quite an ambitious exercise but evaluating draft picks is one thing the front office does quite well or better than most.

Morris, Ebanks, Caracter, Cook, Rush, and the list goes on. They are hit and miss.

Yeah because it's full of hits late in the first round and second rounds of the NBA draft. There's no such thing as a miss that late since you're expected to draft at best a role player.

It's not about hit or miss as much as giving players the opportunity to succeed. Chandler Parsons wouldn't have done anything if he had been forced to rot on the bench behind Lebron and Wade. Clarkson was nobody until Kobe got injured. Some of those misses could have been hits had they had the proper time and opportunity to develop, while all of Mitch's recent finds would have been misses had they started their careers on a championship Lakers team.
TyCobb wrote:Embiid at peak value after reaching a new maturity level.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#24 » by Kilroy » Wed May 27, 2015 4:24 am

Every single team in the league is "hit and miss" with trades, draft picks, etc... The NBA is a hit and miss game. Nobody is right all the time. If that were possible who would watch?
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
EArl
RealGM
And1: 13,230

Post#25 » by EArl » Wed May 27, 2015 5:00 am

I want to see the main guys workout. I like that Mitch and co are being thorough.
Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing, Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before;
LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Post#26 » by LApwnd » Wed May 27, 2015 5:03 am

Mirjalovic wrote:Derrick Caracter had really good post move, it's because his injury the Lakers waived him.

anyway, any videos from the workout ?

He was to short and not athletic enough to play the 4 and ironically enough he didnt have enough character with that restaurant incident lol
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,231

Post#27 » by crazyeights » Wed May 27, 2015 4:13 pm

LApwnd wrote:
Mirjalovic wrote:Derrick Caracter had really good post move, it's because his injury the Lakers waived him.

He was to short and not athletic enough to play the 4 and ironically enough he didnt have enough character with that restaurant incident lol

He was also the 58th pick in the draft making bringing him up moronic, but hey so long as we get to continue our thesis of Mitch sucks, so be it.

The fact is at that point in time we didn't focus on the draft as we do now. It had a totally different importance.

The good news is the Lakers have shown they can do the little things to improve: drafting, buying picks, developing guys in the D-League, calling them up, tanking, actually playing rookies, rather than merely FA's and the occasional trade.
LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Post#28 » by LApwnd » Wed May 27, 2015 4:20 pm

crazyeights wrote:
LApwnd wrote:

He was also the 58th pick in the draft making bringing him up moronic, but hey so long as we get to continue our thesis of Mitch sucks, so be it.

The fact is at that point in time we didn't focus on the draft as we do now. It had a totally different importance.

The good news is the Lakers have shown they can do the little things to improve: drafting, buying picks, developing guys in the D-League, calling them up, tanking, actually playing rookies, rather than merely FA's and the occasional trade.

oh my bad, didn't know Character was brought up for that reason.....I actually like Mitch draft track record, majority of our picks did contribute something Farmar, Sasha, Walton, Bynum and of course my fav so far Clarkson.
debussie
Ballboy
And1: 8

Post#29 » by debussie » Wed May 27, 2015 11:52 pm

I thought it was interesting that Mitch was quoted saying he'd consider up to 8 players for the #2 pick. He's most likely just doing his job as a GM to assess the top talent of this year's draft. However, does anyone else wonder if perhaps he is assessing those guys who are obviously not worthy of the 2nd pick, with the possibility of swapping down to a lower pick? I don't mean to veer off-topic or speculate at all, but some of those teams with the 6-8 picks have players that could appeal to the front office (Cousins, Drummond). Not saying those guys are even available or if LA would even consider this, but just interesting to think about.

Anyways, first post! Been following since like 2004 but I guess only until now I had something compelling to post haha.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#30 » by Kilroy » Thu May 28, 2015 12:38 am

Mitch's tricks up his sleeve, have tricks up their sleeves. So it's hard to say what exactly that post meant. Also he made a comment about "2 Bigs to choose from at the top, so it's safe to say we're picking a big." So he seems to be putting conflicting information out there...
I think it's gamesmanship... I'd be shocked and dismayed if we didn't pick either Towns or Okafor. Russel wouldn't be a 'bad' pick, but I think he's the wrong pick, unless you're perpetrating some massive **** on the Sixers or Knicks... Anyone beyond that would be extremely disappointing.

So I think it's a shell-game with the rest of the league basically. I just have no idea what the purpose of it is.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
dipstick
Sixth Man
And1: 218

Post#31 » by dipstick » Thu May 28, 2015 6:09 am

I think Mitch mentioned that he wants to have prospects available at all draft positions from 1-60, probably in case they could trade up/down or buy picks down the line. The 8 player comment could also be a means of enticing players to workout. Knowing the Lakers have the 2nd pick may dissuade guys ranked from 5-10 from showing up just because it would sound like such a waste of time. It may also confuse the other GMs to consider and maybe fall in love with lower prospect talents and allow us better choice of who we really want. Who knows, there may be players who are projected top 10, who may end up doing a free fall down to our 27th pick.
SilentScream
Freshman
And1: 20

Post#32 » by SilentScream » Thu May 28, 2015 6:43 am

It's difficult to tell what ulterior motives he may have. If reports are to be believed, Philly is targeting Russell and their draft day could become more complicated if we take him. Although, given their recent track record, they may refuse to blink in such a circumstance and proceed with the remaining big as a trade chip. Again, difficult to speculate without more information. If there are no shenanigans at play, he'd just be doing his due diligence. Taking the remaining big is the logical move, but often you have a player that exceeds expectations and plays his way into the conversation for best in his class. I can certainly see it as a straight-forward statement with that in mind.

First post here as well. Long time reader and have been a Laker fan since the 1999-2000 season, but never decided to post until now.
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,676

Post#33 » by Pointgod » Thu May 28, 2015 2:16 pm

You guys are completely over thinking this. There is no secret plan. Lakers will pick either Okafor or Towns at 2. All this is just GM speak making sure and making sure they don't miss out on a diamond in the rough.
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 5,391

Post#34 » by Danny Darko » Thu May 28, 2015 4:02 pm

I disagree. Mitch will do his full diligence on all picks because there is always an offer that might be impossible to turn down. To assume he just needs to know 4 guys to make pick #2, not only ignores picks #27/34, but also would be foolish if all the sudden we find ourselves at pick #4,5,6, etc... and don't know who is the man we need beyond Oka4, Towns, Russell, etc..
ArC_man
Veteran
And1: 910

Post#35 » by ArC_man » Thu May 28, 2015 6:22 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Lakers/status/603972123044945920[/tweet]
Good group.
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,819

Post#36 » by TyCobb » Thu May 28, 2015 6:35 pm

Definitely. Brown with the stroke, Anderson with the overall game, and D Wright with complete package, bloodlines included. Nastic is a true 7-footer, handful on the block, and Booker is a quitter. Not sure about Charles Jackson, but overall we should get some good video and quotes from this one.
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#37 » by crazyeights » Thu May 28, 2015 8:08 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Lakers/status/604015477468184577[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/LakersReporter/status/603997804139175936[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/LakersReporter/status/603998017683750912[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Lakers/status/603998790568136704[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Lakers/status/603997278227943424[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/SerenaWinters/status/604017065226149888[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/SerenaWinters/status/604012213255340032[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/SerenaWinters/status/604010936668540928[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/SerenaWinters/status/604019207081086977[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/SerenaWinters/status/604019409082953728[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/LakersTV/status/604022278892859392[/tweet]
TrippyNate
Sophomore
And1: 45

Post#38 » by TrippyNate » Fri May 29, 2015 12:59 am

Really like Justin Anderson. What pick could we nab him at?
Live.Love.Lakers.
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#39 » by crazyeights » Fri May 29, 2015 1:23 am

TrippyNate wrote:Really like Justin Anderson. What pick could we nab him at?

He's been projected to go in the early 20s lately, so he'd have to fall to us at 27.
kblo247
RealGM
And1: 2,130

Post#40 » by kblo247 » Fri May 29, 2015 1:39 am

I like Anderson almost as much as RHJ. Maybe a bit more the more I see him because I think we could mold him into a championship role player like Deaven George minus the ankle injuries hopefully. Let one of them be there at 27

I really want wright at 34.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers