ImageImageImageImageImage

Julius Randle

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

john248
Starter
And1: 651

Re: Julius Randle 

Post#241 » by john248 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:56 am

Randle is still a developing player. Whether he gets there is unknown though we all hope he does. With that said, if you want him doing stuff traditionally for guards or wings, he better be good at it. As of now, he's not quite there. So you really only want him using his handles and posting up selectively...as in mismatches. Bringing the ball up on breaks is something that should be limited too considering there are 2 combo guards who will be on the floor with him that presumably are better at that.

Personally, I just want to see him spend the season setting excellent screens and continue to work on his outside shot. It's not important to me that he hits the 3 since range to 15-17 ft is more than enough and would allow him to hit open shots when a guard drives and dishes or if he plays the pick n pop. We'll see lots on inconsistency here. Being a good screen setter will directly or indirectly involve him in many plays. If a smaller player switches on him, I do think he can take advantage of that right away and do well at that. There really isn't anything that should stop him from being an excellent roll man. I'd rather not see him face anyone up unless it's a mismatch. I think this would be good for a slightly inefficient 13 ppg in just under 30 mpg which would be really good considering a 1st full season.
The Last Word
RebelWithACause
Starter
And1: 537

Julius Randle 

Post#242 » by RebelWithACause » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:50 pm

Tasks for Randle this offseason:

-keep working on that jumper

-learn how to be better out of the PnR as the roll man
(He should be a terrifying threat there because of strength and quickness)

-mastering fundamentals (especially on D)

Arrive to training camp in the best shape possible and work your behind off on defense in camp.

Rest will come
magicbesteva
Junior
And1: 53

Post#243 » by magicbesteva » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:14 pm

I really want to see Randle work on his passing. Once the ball touches his hands he's not passing it. He needs to learn to see the floor better and to trust his teammates. That's how he will take his game to another level. It's hard to double and triple team great passers.
The Prodigy
Starter
And1: 469

Post#244 » by The Prodigy » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:30 pm

While Randle has a nice handle for a PF, I think his small forward/point forward aspirations could get in the way of his development. He really needs to focus on big man things such as rebounding and setting screens before worrying about bringing the ball down the court.
GarnerValleyFan
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#245 » by GarnerValleyFan » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:24 am

The Prodigy wrote:While Randle has a nice handle for a PF, I think his small forward/point forward aspirations could get in the way of his development. He really needs to focus on big man things such as rebounding and setting screens before worrying about bringing the ball down the court.

Anthony Randolph the one time hero of summer league liked to bring the ball down the court too.
Sofa King
RealGM
And1: 3,034

Post#246 » by Sofa King » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:18 pm

Read this about Randle on LG

-Unfortunately, Julius Randle was the opposite end of the spectrum, wanting nothing to do with the fans. I didn't have any interactions with him personally, but he didn't give anyone the time of day on a few different occasions, and was generally rude about it. I don't have any belief that athletes owe fans their attention, I just thought he was kind of (bleep) about it, in ways that other guys weren't. Between that and his demeanor on the court/bench (barking at teammates, sulking), I'm less of a Julius Randle fan than I was before the Summer League.

http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=174568
The Prodigy
Starter

Post#247 » by The Prodigy » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:22 pm

Sofa King wrote:Read this about Randle on LG

-Unfortunately, Julius Randle was the opposite end of the spectrum, wanting nothing to do with the fans. I didn't have any interactions with him personally, but he didn't give anyone the time of day on a few different occasions, and was generally rude about it. I don't have any belief that athletes owe fans their attention, I just thought he was kind of (bleep) about it, in ways that other guys weren't. Between that and his demeanor on the court/bench (barking at teammates, sulking), I'm less of a Julius Randle fan than I was before the Summer League.

I don't want to pile on, but I've also noticed Randle's poor body language. I also didn't like the constant complaining about the minutes limit. He just gives off an air of entitlement.

This is where the apologists will come out of the woodwork because 'how dare we say anything unflattering about our young players!' but Julius needs to know his place as a rookie. He hasn't done squat therefore he isn't owed squat. Go out and earn your PT by focusing more on the dirty work and less on the flashy plays.
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 5,388

Post#248 » by Danny Darko » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:46 pm

Honestly I do not care at all how his body language and summer league fan etiquette is. He could be spreewell and all is care about is of he gets it done on the court and isn't bad for the locker room
EArl
RealGM
And1: 13,228

Post#249 » by EArl » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:03 pm

The Prodigy wrote:
Sofa King wrote:Read this about Randle on LG

I don't want to pile on, but I've also noticed Randle's poor body language. I also didn't like the constant complaining about the minutes limit. He just gives off an air of entitlement.

This is where the apologists will come out of the woodwork because 'how dare we say anything unflattering about our young players!' but Julius needs to know his place as a rookie. He hasn't done squat therefore he isn't owed squat. Go out and earn your PT by focusing more on the dirty work and less on the flashy plays.

I personally don't care how he is in that sense. As long as he puts in the work in the court. I think he will come around though in terms of being a more approachable person. He has to have a big chip on his shoulder the way his season ended last year.
Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing, Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before;
The Prodigy
Starter

Post#250 » by The Prodigy » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:30 pm

Danny Darko wrote:Honestly I do not care at all how his body language and summer league fan etiquette is. He could be spreewell and all is care about is of he gets it done on the court and isn't bad for the locker room

The issue here is not Summer League fan etiquette, it's potential personality issues that could spill over into the locker room. Let's hope it's nothing.
Mirjalovic
Head Coach
And1: 1,780

Julius Randle 

Post#251 » by Mirjalovic » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:26 am

He is still young and had heartbreak moment last year. I guess if you are high touted prospect then can't prove your value because get hurt in the first match, you will be frustated too.

Plus he probably read internet a lot, how you guys treat and doubt him while he try hard to overcome his injury lol

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
The Prodigy
Starter

Post#252 » by The Prodigy » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:52 am

Mirjalovic wrote:He is still young and had heartbreak moment last year. I guess if you are high touted prospect then can't prove your value because get hurt in the first match, you will be frustated too.

Plus he probably read internet a lot, how you guys treat and doubt him while he try hard to overcome his injury lol

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

There's no excuse for a crappy attitude. Everyone has frustrations but professionals don't let it show.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#253 » by Slava » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:37 pm

Watching both him and Russell, its amazing how limited you can be in basketball if you do not develop your off hand.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
The Prodigy
Starter

Post#254 » by The Prodigy » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:17 pm

Slava wrote:Watching both him and Russell, its amazing how limited you can be in basketball if you do not develop your off hand.

Pretty much everyone comes in with a weak off hand though. I'm not so concerned about that.
iamworthy
RealGM
And1: 8,909

Post#255 » by iamworthy » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:26 pm

Randle is to fast for 4s and to strong for 3s. He's going to be a beast once he gets dialed in.
Sofa King
RealGM
And1: 3,034

Post#256 » by Sofa King » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:01 pm

Slava wrote:Watching both him and Russell, its amazing how limited you can be in basketball if you do not develop your off hand.

It totally feels like a different person when you use your off hand on yourself
Lakers415
Banned User
And1: 14

Post#257 » by Lakers415 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:21 pm

Randle better not start...

Kobe will give him the death stare all game log if he plays like he did in the summer league.
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,231

Post#258 » by crazyeights » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:03 pm

Lakers415 wrote:Randle better not start...

Kobe will give him the death stare all game log if he plays like he did in the summer league.

Really? Because IMO, Randle has a lot of Kobe's DNA in him:

[instagram]https://instagram.com/p/58v-Q7RKzY/[/instagram]

Julius Randle wrote:@tdathletesedge said lets try to get 405 before the season. I told him lets do it today ..

Why would Kobe hate a guy who challenges himself like that?

Lakers415 wrote:..."if he plays like he did in summer league."

What?

Randle hadn't played basketball in like 9 months, was on a minutes restriction of 5 minutes stretches, while trying to work himself into a rhythm...who cares if he missed easy shots? He showed he can get to the paint whenever he wanted. He also showed that he's could lead the team in getting to the foul line.

Also, we saw glimpses of how effective he'll be as a creator:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYAlx1m7vM0[/youtube]

Watch from 1:16 on. The 2nd half of the Knicks game he started to settle in and IMO shows he can be a major factor in creating offense for others. Before that point in SL, the ball was sticking quite a bit. With Randle's quickness and strength, he's got the ability to be absolutely surgical on the opposing team's defense. And if he's surrounded by shooters there's going to be a lot of opportunity for them.

Randle is very much like Kobe, he can be surly and expects a lot of himself. I don't take too many lessons from his off-court demeanor this summer. I was literally a foot away when he walked through the crowd and the dude was just trying to get focused before his first game.

He has a chip on his shoulder. And it doesn't make it easier that he's had to go an entire year without getting to show what he knows he can do.

As for Kobe, IMO, Kobe's clearly taken Randle under his wing:

But an influential person named Kobe Bryant immediately texted and called Randle. Bryant offered sympathy before quickly providing perspective on two debilitating injuries to his left Achilles tendon and left knee.

“‘My recovery starts at that moment,’” Randle recalled Bryant saying in late October, 2014. “From then on, he checked on me every day and every week and made sure my head was in the right place and made sure I’m getting ready for next year.”

Gotta say, man. I totally reject the premise of your post.
Tarik_shaq
Sophomore
And1: 31

Post#259 » by Tarik_shaq » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:29 am

will randle eventually be our best guy equipped to handle the likes of blake griffin? is he our best candidate as of now?

Return to Los Angeles Lakers