dipstick
Sixth Man
And1: 218

Re: Re: LaMarcus "Show me your Analytics!" Aldridge 

Post#781 » by dipstick » Fri Jul 3, 2015 3:23 pm

Man of Troy wrote:
Mirjalovic wrote:
tugs wrote:
I know man. There must be something his former coaches see in him that limits his PT.

because Marc Gasol is better than him.

we can't fill every position with stars, we need good role players.

I like Koufos and think he's an excellent backup center. What everyone is leaving out when looking at his per36 numbers is that he also averages over 4 and half fouls per36 for his career. It is very hard to project him as a starter because he seems to always be in foul trouble and has to sit. If you tried to force him into 30+ minutes a game he'll probably foul out of half of them. I like him, but if you are going to start him you are going to need some serious depth at the position.

That's the point, we don't have depth. But if we dont win LMA or DaJ, there are no more available starting quality centers. Paying him 8m a year is not necessarily starter's money so what do we have to lose? 28 minutes of him with 20 minutes of tarik is better than 30 minutes of Tarik and 18 minutes of Sacre.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Re: LaMarcus "Show me your Analytics!" Aldridge 

Post#782 » by Kilroy » Fri Jul 3, 2015 4:06 pm

crazyeights wrote:
TylersLakers wrote:An hour in..

"Oh yeah, as far as basketball....."

Garbage.

This begs the question...does TWC essentially own the Lakers now?

Who in their right mind would schedule them first? (I'm assuming it was them, because what else would they talk about?)

See... I honestly think these guys don't really want to talk that much about basketball. I mean how do they not know that stuff in about 15min of discussion. It's their life... I would bet MOST players like Melo and Howard and what not, would MUCH rather talk about how their pockets are going to get lined. So leading with TWC is a good play.
But it might be a good idea to try to get a read from their agents first.

I still think these comments about Analytics and Basketball from LMA, if they're legit, are just excuses or diversions from the fact that he used us to get what he wanted elsewhere.... That's why we were first. Was it really an option that he'd meet with us and cancel all the other meetings. You don't meet the team you prefer 1st.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
The Prodigy
Starter
And1: 469

Post#783 » by The Prodigy » Fri Jul 3, 2015 4:11 pm

Kilroy wrote:
crazyeights wrote:

Garbage.

Who in their right mind would schedule them first? (I'm assuming it was them, because what else would they talk about?)

See... I honestly think these guys don't really want to talk that much about basketball. I mean how do they not know that stuff in about 15min of discussion. It's their life... I would bet MOST players like Melo and Howard and what not, would MUCH rather talk about how their pockets are going to get lined. So leading with TWC is a good play.

I still think these comments about Analytics and Basketball from LMA, if they're legit, are just excuses or diversions from the fact that he used us to get what he wanted elsewhere.... That's why we were first. Was it really an option that he'd meet with us and cancel all the other meetings. You don't meet the team you prefer 1st.

Why would he need to use us though? The other teams, including San Antonio, were going to throw the max at him anyway.
dipstick
Sixth Man
And1: 218

Post#784 » by dipstick » Fri Jul 3, 2015 4:15 pm

Kilroy wrote:
crazyeights wrote:

Garbage.

But Deandre Jordan met the Mavs first. I dont think its a bad sign to be first. But I agree that the Lakers probably just misread the priorities of Aldridge. Hell, why would you join the Lakers now? We are all rookies. But Aldridge is a no nonsense guy who is sick of being stuck as a mediocre playoff team.

If I were the Lakers, I would have done what Riley was speculated to have done. Sign short and see if you like us 1 or 2 years from today. Then go about your business and sign the best players that you want to have on the team.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#785 » by Kilroy » Fri Jul 3, 2015 4:29 pm

The Prodigy wrote:
Kilroy wrote:
crazyeights wrote:

Why would he need to use us though? The other teams, including San Antonio, were going to throw the max at him anyway.

Everyone is going to give him the max... It's about the ancillary discussions. The details. And to make sure everyone he wants at the table shows up and brings their A game.

It's more about the agents than him. I don't think LA necessarily used us... But I feel like his agent did.
PKABOOICU
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,128

Post#786 » by PKABOOICU » Fri Jul 3, 2015 4:30 pm

aldridge is in win now mode....he knows his team in portland was better than what the suns have to offer, and he also knows his best shot to win to sign with the spurs, or perhaps even the miami heat in the east, who have no money.
the downfall about signing with the spurs is he's basically jumping on a wagon thats already competitive and somewhat fresh off of back to back finals and ring....i think thats the main thing thats holding him back.
if the lakers can provide him with a team of veterans and a 2 year window, he's all for LA imo....and thats why his decision is taking him longer than expected, and thats why the lakers are calling rondo+DJ...

if it all falls apart, aldridge ultimately goes to the spurs, but if the lakers have a trick up their sleeve, then i wouldn't be at all surprised to see a team of rondo/kobe/randle/aldridge/deandre...as a matter of fact, that team has the lakers about 1 shooter away from being ultra competitive and a 2 year window to win it all, depending upon Kobe's return...but with a team of that caliber and the possible noise they could make, I also wouldn't be shocked to see kobe return to LA for another 1-2 year contract.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#787 » by Kilroy » Fri Jul 3, 2015 4:33 pm

dipstick wrote:
Kilroy wrote:
crazyeights wrote:

But Deandre Jordan met the Mavs first. I dont think its a bad sign to be first. But I agree that the Lakers probably just misread the priorities of Aldridge. Hell, why would you join the Lakers now? We are all rookies. But Aldridge is a no nonsense guy who is sick of being stuck as a mediocre playoff team.

If I were the Lakers, I would have done what Riley was speculated to have done. Sign short and see if you like us 1 or 2 years from today. Then go about your business and sign the best players that you want to have on the team.

Exactly... If he was interested in "Basketball" or "Analytics" as far as how he fits with this team or whatever, we aren't that team. Even a superficial analysis would tell you that... You come to LA for the future, and to be 'The Guy.' Not for now and finding a good 'role' using analytics.

But you say "Lakers" in your negotiations, and other teams seem to show up in a big way.
magicbesteva
Junior
And1: 53

Post#788 » by magicbesteva » Fri Jul 3, 2015 5:04 pm

It's a joke the way Lamarcus' camp is handling things. Not even Dwight Howard was saying things like he wasn't woo'd or impressed. If he said he wasn't sure about the teams future since they have a young core. I would understand why he didn't pick the Lakers but the way his camp is leaking information is bull and disrespectful. I don't want the guy anymore.
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,818

Post#789 » by TyCobb » Fri Jul 3, 2015 6:12 pm

Time to hit up Aldridge for a third visit. Something about it being a charm.
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,798

Post#790 » by floppymoose » Fri Jul 3, 2015 6:14 pm

ESPN published a story in February ranking the strength of the analytics usage of all the teams:
http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/12331388/the-great-analytics-rankings
Lakers, Nets, and Knicks were at the bottom. I'm wondering if LMA's comment was not about seeing analytics that said "we're gonna be great with you!", but was instead about not seeing analytics at all. As several people point out above, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that Houston can offer a better team right now for LMA. I'm sure LMA knew that going into the meeting. Maybe his comment was more about the Lakers approach, and worrying that they won't make the right decisions in the future to improve the team around him?
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Re: Re: LaMarcus "Show me your Analytics!" Aldridge 

Post#791 » by DEEP3CL » Fri Jul 3, 2015 6:26 pm

TyCobb wrote:
DEEP3CL wrote:
Michael Lucky wrote:This is what we've come down to? Caring about where a player of Robin Lopez caliber goes to?
Really though, I don't think Lopez is all that much better than Upshaw. We need to breath easy, it's still options out there.

Speaking of 'breathe easy', you need to get some cleaner oxygen if you don't think Lopez is all that much better than Upshaw. :lol:
Lol...well if look at numbers they seem comparable. But naw I would've took RoLo...he's got a bigger body,probably a lot more physical. But offensively neither are ever gonna crack 40 in a game! Lol.
islander009
Junior
And1: 21

Post#792 » by islander009 » Fri Jul 3, 2015 6:44 pm

LA will be deciding between Spurs, Mavs, Suns,Heat, and finally Lakers

Here is my breakdown of each team, please bear in mind that these are my opinions alone.

Spurs - Pros: A team capable of winning now. They have a great coach, coaching staff, and scouting department. Duncan, Manu, Kawhi, and Parker is a solid core and they have some depth in reliable Green and Diaw. This team is built to withstand anything and they have proven to overcome many difficult challenges. With LA in the fold. they would have a superior team anchored with Duncan at C, LA at PF, Kawhi at SF, Green at SG, and Parker at PG with Manu coming in as their 6th man. That is a great team on paper.

Cons: Injuries hurt the Spurs last year. Duncan, Parker, and Manu are all on their last leg. Out of the three Parker is the only one signed for the next 3 years. Assuming Duncan signs a 2 year contract and same with Manu. If they do not win within these 2 years, LA would be on a depleted team. Parker wont be able to carry this team, and Kawhi is the only reliable talent on the roster not named as the big three who is capable of producing on a nightly basis. So year 3 and 4 of LAs contract is questionable.

Mavs - Pros: Big time spending owner in Cuban. Coach is good but not on Pops level. Team at this point consists of only Dirk who is signed for another 2 years. Parsons was their big signing last year but was hurt, He is a capable scorer and defender in the league when healthy but not an Elite level player.

Cons: With Dirk and Parsons, the team does not have any stars to push them in the tough western conference. When their contracts end who will be there to push through the tough conference with LA?

Suns- Pros: Picked up some huge pieces this offseason with Chandler and resigning Brandon Knight. A very young core and possibly high scoring. Veteran on this team with championship Experience is Chandler. Potential Iine up of Chandler at 5, LA at 4, Tucker at 3, Bledsoe at 2, and Knight at 1.

Cons: young team. Knight has a lot of potential but doesnt have the experience yet in the playoffs. Bledsoe is a star scorer, capable defender, but is also a huge health risk. Tucker is a pretty good role player for them. Chandler is your defensive anchor and has the most playoff experience on the team.

Heat- Pros: Great coaching staff and they have Pat Riley. Wade returns for one more year, they just drafted an exciting SF in Winslow. Dragic was resigned for 5 years, Deng isnt the defensive stopper he once was but he still does a pretty good job. Bosh if returns healthy will be good for their front court as he can play second fiddle and is good at helpside defense. Whiteside is spilling with potential.

Cons: Wade is pretty much done as he has not shown explosiveness that he once had. Dragic is a good PG capable of running any team. Winslow is a rookie with Deng almost out the door. Bosh is signed for another 4 years and is still a capable scorer, and defender. Only problem is that i believe that Bosh and LA are redundant players in pretty much the same mold. They both can play down low but they are better face to the basket players. I would say that Bosh is the better defender between the two but by no means is he a defensive presence.

Lakers - Pros: Kobe is the current face of the franchise and headed to the Hall of Fame. Drafted a great guard with loads of potential, in DAR. Clarkson is a combo guard, suited for slashing to the basket. He is young but willing to learn and shown that he could pick Kobes experience and learn from it. Randle a PF who is capable of scoring from anywhere. Worked on his outside shot to add to his relentless motor. He is strong and capable low post scorer.

Cons: team has a lot of holes at this point, with Kobe on his last year. Potential is there with DAR, Clarkson, and Randle and those players will be there for the next several years. Center is their biggest hole at this point since they only have Black and Sacre on the roster. Signing a defensive 5 would make the most sense to shore up that front line. Defensively is issue with the lakers, as they just have many holes to fill. Hopefully one or both of their late round picks in Nance and or Brown can step up.

Okay please note that i am a diehard Lakers fan, and may be a little biased, lol. Lakers have the most upside for the long term aspect of the contract. If LA wants to win now sign with the spurs for 2 years at max to get your rings barring any health concerns. Sign 4 years with the Lakers to be championship contenders for years to come. We guarantee you we will reach for a Defensive Center, which will allow LA to play to his strengths. We have a two guards that can get you the ball and can score from anywhere on the court. We have a PF that will play down low or outside dependent on your choosing. We the Lakers offer you 16 banners, and hopefully one or more in your future. Come build with us!!!

Lol if you have read this far! Happy Independence Day to you all!!
MAMBAEMD
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,622

Post#793 » by MAMBAEMD » Fri Jul 3, 2015 7:06 pm

islander009 wrote:LA will be deciding between Spurs, Mavs, Suns,Heat, and finally Lakers

Here is my breakdown of each team, please bear in mind that these are my opinions alone.

Spurs - Pros: A team capable of winning now. They have a great coach, coaching staff, and scouting department. Duncan, Manu, Kawhi, and Parker is a solid core and they have some depth in reliable Green and Diaw. This team is built to withstand anything and they have proven to overcome many difficult challenges. With LA in the fold. they would have a superior team anchored with Duncan at C, LA at PF, Kawhi at SF, Green at SG, and Parker at PG with Manu coming in as their 6th man. That is a great team on paper.

Cons: Injuries hurt the Spurs last year. Duncan, Parker, and Manu are all on their last leg. Out of the three Parker is the only one signed for the next 3 years. Assuming Duncan signs a 2 year contract and same with Manu. If they do not win within these 2 years, LA would be on a depleted team. Parker wont be able to carry this team, and Kawhi is the only reliable talent on the roster not named as the big three who is capable of producing on a nightly basis. So year 3 and 4 of LAs contract is questionable.

Mavs - Pros: Big time spending owner in Cuban. Coach is good but not on Pops level. Team at this point consists of only Dirk who is signed for another 2 years. Parsons was their big signing last year but was hurt, He is a capable scorer and defender in the league when healthy but not an Elite level player.

Cons: With Dirk and Parsons, the team does not have any stars to push them in the tough western conference. When their contracts end who will be there to push through the tough conference with LA?

Suns- Pros: Picked up some huge pieces this offseason with Chandler and resigning Brandon Knight. A very young core and possibly high scoring. Veteran on this team with championship Experience is Chandler. Potential Iine up of Chandler at 5, LA at 4, Tucker at 3, Bledsoe at 2, and Knight at 1.

Cons: young team. Knight has a lot of potential but doesnt have the experience yet in the playoffs. Bledsoe is a star scorer, capable defender, but is also a huge health risk. Tucker is a pretty good role player for them. Chandler is your defensive anchor and has the most playoff experience on the team.

Heat- Pros: Great coaching staff and they have Pat Riley. Wade returns for one more year, they just drafted an exciting SF in Winslow. Dragic was resigned for 5 years, Deng isnt the defensive stopper he once was but he still does a pretty good job. Bosh if returns healthy will be good for their front court as he can play second fiddle and is good at helpside defense. Whiteside is spilling with potential.

Cons: Wade is pretty much done as he has not shown explosiveness that he once had. Dragic is a good PG capable of running any team. Winslow is a rookie with Deng almost out the door. Bosh is signed for another 4 years and is still a capable scorer, and defender. Only problem is that i believe that Bosh and LA are redundant players in pretty much the same mold. They both can play down low but they are better face to the basket players. I would say that Bosh is the better defender between the two but by no means is he a defensive presence.

Lakers - Pros: Kobe is the current face of the franchise and headed to the Hall of Fame. Drafted a great guard with loads of potential, in DAR. Clarkson is a combo guard, suited for slashing to the basket. He is young but willing to learn and shown that he could pick Kobes experience and learn from it. Randle a PF who is capable of scoring from anywhere. Worked on his outside shot to add to his relentless motor. He is strong and capable low post scorer.

Cons: team has a lot of holes at this point, with Kobe on his last year. Potential is there with DAR, Clarkson, and Randle and those players will be there for the next several years. Center is their biggest hole at this point since they only have Black and Sacre on the roster. Signing a defensive 5 would make the most sense to shore up that front line. Defensively is issue with the lakers, as they just have many holes to fill. Hopefully one or both of their late round picks in Nance and or Brown can step up.

Okay please note that i am a diehard Lakers fan, and may be a little biased, lol. Lakers have the most upside for the long term aspect of the contract. If LA wants to win now sign with the spurs for 2 years at max to get your rings barring any health concerns. Sign 4 years with the Lakers to be championship contenders for years to come. We guarantee you we will reach for a Defensive Center, which will allow LA to play to his strengths. We have a two guards that can get you the ball and can score from anywhere on the court. We have a PF that will play down low or outside dependent on your choosing. We the Lakers offer you 16 banners, and hopefully one or more in your future. Come build with us!!!

Lol if you have read this far! Happy Independence Day to you all!!

I enjoyed reading the entire post and Happy Independence Day to you!

LMA is a very long shot to be a Laker, and he always was. It has nothing to do with the presentation, and analytics etc..

I think it was always between POR and SAS, and the Lakers were used by his agent as leverage to get the front-runners attention.
I think we would have become a serious contender if we had been able to swing a deal for a solid defensive center like Chandler or DJ.
That's why the Suns are now in the picture because the got Chandler.

I would have liked to get LMA, but am not terribly dissapointed now that he is likely not coming.
The things that you mentioned as our strengths will be very apparent to FAs in 2016 and 2017.
That's when we'll make our splash.
Formerly lakerRD
SilentScream
Freshman
And1: 20

Post#794 » by SilentScream » Fri Jul 3, 2015 7:49 pm

If reports are true that LMA doesn't want to play center, then the moment Lopez committed to the Knicks should have been the moment we moved on. Jordan is apparently close to a deal with the Mavs, but he wasn't coming here to begin with. Unless we believe LMA is dying to play alongside Koufos or Black, it's time to cut our losses.
DEEP3CL
RealGM

Post#795 » by DEEP3CL » Fri Jul 3, 2015 8:40 pm

Damn good analysis of the teams islander009...enjoyed it. And I felt you were very non-biased in that analysis.
Rosque
Analyst
And1: 2,010

Post#796 » by Rosque » Fri Jul 3, 2015 8:42 pm

so what's the situation on lma? haven't been online for past 24 hours and don't have time to go through 12 pages
"All these guys who run these organizations who talk about analytics, they have one thing in common: They're a bunch of guys who ain't never played the game, they never got the girls in high school, and they just want to get in the game."
DEEP3CL
RealGM

Post#797 » by DEEP3CL » Fri Jul 3, 2015 8:45 pm

Also I agree with lakerRD...I've said all along that 2016 &17 was the years we strike.

We'll be down again this year but as many have said at least the team will be fun to watch
The Skyhook
RealGM
And1: 925

Post#798 » by The Skyhook » Fri Jul 3, 2015 8:52 pm

I knew we wouldn't sign any major free agents this summer but I'm really surprised we haven't signed anyone so far. Guess it's going to be another year of 1 or 2 year deals to preserve the cap for the future.
LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Post#799 » by LApwnd » Fri Jul 3, 2015 8:57 pm

Yea keep preserving the cap im sure some washed up vet will take the money someday lol
BEazy
RealGM
And1: 2,483

Post#800 » by BEazy » Fri Jul 3, 2015 9:33 pm

Like I said Tobias Harris and a cheap center and call it a day. Mitch and Jim need to realize that they need to stop wasting their damn time with these top name free agent divas. Like everybody has been saying for a while, if I were Mitch I'd hit up their agent and ask does you client want to play for us? If yes lets set up a meeting, if no go **** yourself and move on to the next free agent.

Long Live The Black Mamba. Kobe Bean Bryant Laker For Life. 8/24

Return to Los Angeles Lakers