ImageImageImageImageImage

How does the Lakers front office recover from this?

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

miggs
Lead Assistant
And1: 446

Re: How does the Lakers front office recover from this? 

Post#181 » by miggs » Thu Jul 2, 2015 11:19 pm

we all look forward to the day we tell stories of ty to our kids
2014: Randle / Clarkson
2015: Russell / Nance
2016: Ingram / Zubac
2017: Top 3 Pick? :nod: Fultz, Ball or Bust
Mamba Mentality
RealGM
And1: 19,536

Post#182 » by Mamba Mentality » Thu Jul 2, 2015 11:35 pm

My kids adore Ty like the father they never had.
DadoTheRabbet
Sophomore
And1: 32

Post#183 » by DadoTheRabbet » Thu Jul 2, 2015 11:41 pm

Hell, the kids I never had think Ty is the best! Every last one of 'em.
If more people thought like I do, the world would be a much better place. :nod:
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#184 » by HeartBreakKid » Fri Jul 3, 2015 3:11 am

Mirjalovic wrote:
Flight33 wrote:Please don't hate me for saying this, I love Kobe, I really do, but he is single-handily destroying your franchise. How the hell is he going to tell LaMarcus that he can be the "Pau Gasol" of the team? Why the hell was Kobe even invited to the meeting? Once again, I'm a huge fan of Kobe, but Lakers won't contend again till he retires.

i like this post as the answer

tsherkin wrote:Not sure this is actually WRONG of Kobe to say, since he's probably still a better scorer than LMA at his best, and probably a comparable offensive player providing for health.

Aldridge isn't a stunner. He's a great perimeter shooter... who shoots a lot from deep but beneath the arc. He's declined beneath the arc, he's declined on the offensive boards, he's declined in scoring efficiency, all while his volume has increased. Some of this is Portland strategy opening up the interior for slashers, of course, wielding his J and screening as a dynamic way to get Lillard going, but really... would you WANT LMA as a first option?

The first thought to me is "no, not really, he's not worth that role."

it's same like Howard few years ago. Kobe still in his peak yet people ask Kobe defer to Howard

it's nothing wrong to play like Kobe and Pau.

:-? Bryant was in his peak in 2013?
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,184

Post#185 » by tsherkin » Fri Jul 3, 2015 3:16 am

HeartBreakKid wrote: :-? Bryant was in his peak in 2013?

Do you not remember what he was doing?

27/5.5/6, the only season he ever shot 50%+ from the field beneath the arc (51%), 112 ORTG (3rd-best of his career), 57% TS (3rd-best of his career), +5.2 OBPM. He posted nearly 29/7/7 after the AS break, on just shy of 58% TS and 114 ORTG (which would be the second-best of his career). He properly murdered it in calendar 2012 from that season.

Basically, though, he was brilliant on offense that year before the injury.
The Infamous1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,024

Post#186 » by The Infamous1 » Fri Jul 3, 2015 3:20 am

Throughout their history The lakers have done most of their damage through the draft and great trades. This is why the whole media outrage about free agency the last 2 years has been crazy to me

Outside of shaq who were the big game changers they have gotten through free agency? Old Malone and Payton in 03?

And that's pretty much everyone. Elite talents rarely leave teams during free agency. Shaq In 96/Lebron in 11 and 14 are the only examples in my lifetime. It's usually second tier stars like Or past their prime former superstars
We can get paper longer than Pippens arms
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#187 » by HeartBreakKid » Fri Jul 3, 2015 3:21 am

tsherkin wrote:

27/5.5/6, the only season he ever shot 50%+ from the field beneath the arc (51%), 112 ORTG (3rd-best of his career), 57% TS (3rd-best of his career), +5.2 OBPM. He posted nearly 29/7/7 after the AS break, on just shy of 58% TS and 114 ORTG (which would be the second-best of his career). He properly murdered it in calendar 2012 from that season.

Yeah, still not seeing how that is his best season or even close. Also, why wouldn't his offensive stats go up if he has one of the GOAT offensive coaches that season? That seems like a gigantic coincidence. The Lakers pretty much punted defense that year. I have a hard time believing that starting from 2008 he had 4 consecutive seasons of him playing worse as he was growing older, he all of a sudden approached the levels that he was in his prime.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,693

Post#188 » by rzzzzz » Fri Jul 3, 2015 6:57 pm

The Infamous1 wrote:Throughout their history The lakers have done most of their damage through the draft and great trades. This is why the whole media outrage about free agency the last 2 years has been crazy to me

It was Mitch who brought up the Lakers getting their big in free agency.
Mirjalovic
Head Coach
And1: 1,780

How does the Lakers front office recover from this? 

Post#189 » by Mirjalovic » Fri Jul 3, 2015 9:28 pm

HeartBreakKid wrote:
tsherkin wrote:

Yeah, still not seeing how that is his best season or even close. Also, why wouldn't his offensive stats go up if he has one of the GOAT offensive coaches that season? That seems like a gigantic coincidence. The Lakers pretty much punted defense that year. I have a hard time believing that starting from 2008 he had 4 consecutive seasons of him playing worse as he was growing older, he all of a sudden approached the levels that he was in his prime.

Whatever man, he was still the better option than Howard at that time.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Jedi32
Head Coach
And1: 6,283

Post#190 » by Jedi32 » Fri Jul 3, 2015 9:32 pm

When it comes to the Lakers people see what they want to see.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,184

Post#191 » by tsherkin » Fri Jul 3, 2015 10:59 pm

HeartBreakKid wrote:Yeah, still not seeing how that is his best season or even close.

Then may offer you the advice "re-evaluate." It was a brilliant offensive season and there is no way any kind of objective analysis wouldn't agree with that truth. This is a hedge on your part, and a lame one at that. It was one of his best offensive performances in a regular season unless all you look at is specific PPG.

Also, why wouldn't his offensive stats go up if he has one of the GOAT offensive coaches that season?

Because MAD isn't one the greatest offensive coaches and his coaching actually HURT the team more than helped them. Watching them was enough to see that; he ruined Gasol.
LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Post#192 » by LApwnd » Sat Jul 4, 2015 4:49 pm

Time for Jim to step down and they need to reevaluate Mitch too.....he's also a dinosaur in the way he operates as a gm
Jedi32
Head Coach

Post#193 » by Jedi32 » Sat Jul 4, 2015 6:02 pm

I don't think so. Jim and mitch have done pretty good here. Folks don't like to bring it up but alot of this was caused by the paul trade being revoked. That set our franchise back at least 5 years. Mitch and Jim were already eyeing the post kobe era with that trade. We were gonna be able to save money and do other things. After that was revoked in an unprecedented move things have been downhill from there. Plus at the end of the day guys like aldridge and dj wanted to get the money and go home. Can't fault them for that.
Spanish_Laker
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,010

Post#194 » by Spanish_Laker » Sat Jul 4, 2015 6:04 pm

Don't panic fellow Laker fans, 2015 wasn't important at all, we ain't winning anything next season, it will be the rookie season for two of our young stars. 2016 offseason is crucial though. So many superstars on the market, we must get one then.
Banned after 15 years in this forum for no reason. Farewell RealGM users
Indy2LA
Junior
And1: 271

Post#195 » by Indy2LA » Sat Jul 4, 2015 6:28 pm

The problem is that it won't get better next offseason. Of course they will try for the big name superstars again but the team situation can't be much better off one year from now. There is a 99.9% chance we lose our first round pick. As bad as the team is there's no way it's bottom 3 with a healthy Kobe and D'Angelo Russell. Hard to be optimistic without much to look forward to. I'm all about being patient but the team is lacking assets to do much in a trade and our future draft picks are in jeopardy. Doesn't matter if D'Lo is Chris Paul. Kobe retires in two years and the Lakers are in rough shape. I want to believe that Mitch is a genius but we have one of the weakest systems in the NBA right now. It was his job to prepare for this. Not sure who to blame but this is bad.
LApwnd
Banned User

Post#196 » by LApwnd » Sat Jul 4, 2015 7:03 pm

Jedi32 wrote:I don't think so. Jim and mitch have done pretty good here. Folks don't like to bring it up but alot of this was caused by the paul trade being revoked. That set our franchise back at least 5 years. Mitch and Jim were already eyeing the post kobe era with that trade. We were gonna be able to save money and do other things. After that was revoked in an unprecedented move things have been downhill from there. Plus at the end of the day guys like aldridge and dj wanted to get the money and go home. Can't fault them for that.

Hou was also part of that cp3 fiasco...i dont see them being bottom feeders
Jedi32
Head Coach

Post#197 » by Jedi32 » Sat Jul 4, 2015 7:18 pm

They lucked out and were able to take advantage of a cheap okc owner who didn't wanna pay Harden.
LApwnd
Banned User

Post#198 » by LApwnd » Sat Jul 4, 2015 7:47 pm

Jedi32 wrote:They lucked out and were able to take advantage of a cheap okc owner who didn't wanna pay Harden.

That wasnt luck....they put themselves in position for that trade by being flexible with cap space and assets...we never used what we had after that cp3 veto, best we did was dump odom on dallas for a 1st which we gave away anyways
Jedi32
Head Coach

Post#199 » by Jedi32 » Sat Jul 4, 2015 8:04 pm

Well I believe it was luck. I'm almost sure that if okc knew the cap would spike like it will they would have kept Harden. We did a pretty good job after the CP3 fiasco but unfortunately we didn't have anyone that howard could grow with which would have been cp3.
Marionettetc
Sixth Man
And1: 969

Post#200 » by Marionettetc » Sat Jul 4, 2015 8:05 pm

WIZKID wrote:Hey Ty thank u for the in depth rsponse.

knock knock, whos there? Cleopatra, Cleopatra who? Cleopatra, queen of denile.

Read the thread many say the same about KOBE throughout.

Do you tell your kids what an honorable and descent man ty cobb was?

Have your first "And1" big guy!

Return to Los Angeles Lakers