ImageImageImageImageImage

How does the Lakers front office recover from this?

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

djericho
Rookie
And1: 12

Re: How does the Lakers front office recover from this? 

Post#241 » by djericho » Tue Jul 7, 2015 2:24 am

Jim needs to go, plain and simple. His first call running the Lakers? Bynum. didn't get Phil back as coach twice. nuff said. team should go to Jeanie, who should get last say. Joey Buss makes personnel calls after some finds for D league, Jim can run the d-fenders.

Mitch is doing all he can do. there was gloom and doom after Jerry West bolted for the Warriors. and it took West 10+ years to build a winner. Mitch got a repeat and a team that went to the finals 3 times. barring injury, Dwight, and Stern nixing a trade, Lakers would be a perennial playoff team.
Sofa King
RealGM
And1: 3,034

Post#242 » by Sofa King » Tue Jul 7, 2015 3:02 am

djericho wrote:Jim needs to go, plain and simple. His first call running the Lakers? Bynum. didn't get Phil back as coach twice. nuff said. team should go to Jeanie, who should get last say. Joey Buss makes personnel calls after some finds for D league, Jim can run the d-fenders.

Mitch is doing all he can do. there was gloom and doom after Jerry West bolted for the Warriors. and it took West 10+ years to build a winner. Mitch got a repeat and a team that went to the finals 3 times. barring injury, Dwight, and Stern nixing a trade, Lakers would be a perennial playoff team.

Jeanie's not any better. Keep on the marketing side and far away from the basketball side.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#243 » by Slava » Tue Jul 7, 2015 3:37 am

You gotta give the old man Buss credit for a lot of things, he never dicked around with the basketball ops like Jimmy here. He gave total reigns to West and did his thing playing poker and screwing bunnies.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,819

Post#244 » by TyCobb » Tue Jul 7, 2015 3:44 am

Slava wrote:You gotta give the old man Buss credit for a lot of things, he never dicked around with the basketball ops like Jimmy here. He gave total reigns to West and did his thing playing poker and screwing bunnies.

And he also didn't give all the 'public' power to any one player, like Jeanie has done with Kobe.
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#245 » by Slava » Tue Jul 7, 2015 3:47 am

TyCobb wrote:
Slava wrote:You gotta give the old man Buss credit for a lot of things, he never dicked around with the basketball ops like Jimmy here. He gave total reigns to West and did his thing playing poker and screwing bunnies.

And he also didn't give all the 'public' power to any one player, like Jeanie has done with Kobe.

Yeah saying no to someone like Kobe takes balls like Buss Sr. did with Shaq but the thing that's hard to get is that every business goes through an evolution and gets modernized once the new generation takes power, Lakers weirdly have gone ass backwards since the old man died for no good reason other than sheer arrogance and incompetence.
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#246 » by TyCobb » Tue Jul 7, 2015 3:52 am

Slava wrote:
TyCobb wrote:

Yeah saying no to someone like Kobe takes balls like Buss Sr. did with Shaq but the thing that's hard to get is that every business goes through an evolution and gets modernized once the new generation takes power, Lakers weirdly have gone ass backwards since the old man died for no good reason other than sheer arrogance and incompetence.

The family image has it's good and bad sides, just like any family, but things are on the way up now. We'll look back one day and say the Lakers locking up a Top 2 pick on lottery night was the turning point in the Lakers luck.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,679

Post#247 » by dockingsched » Tue Jul 7, 2015 3:58 am

Eh, everything about Jim Buss' role with the lakers was planned out and given to him by Dr Buss, so to me it's a little weird to give Dr Buss credit for staying away when he's the one that put Jim in a position to "dick around". Jim became assistant GM in 1998 and Vice President of bball ops in 2005, so most of his tenure has been under Dr. Buss' watch.

Either way Mitch has repeatedly stated that he's the one to make the call and the one that's accountable for any decisions made. There's nothing to indicate anything but has changed.

Ultimately, the choice will be made by Kupchak, who is empowered by the team's executive vice president, Jim Buss.

"It's going to be my decision, with the support of ownership," he said. "I'll talk to our scouts. Jimmy and I will talk. We talk every day. He'll give his opinion, but it's rare when we have varying opinions."

The No. 2 pick will be the highest of Kupchak's career, and the highest since the franchise selected James Worthy with the top overall selection in 1982.

"At the end of the day, somebody has to be accountable and, for better or for worse, that would be me," Kupchak said.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
iamworthy
RealGM
And1: 8,909

Post#248 » by iamworthy » Tue Jul 7, 2015 4:01 am

Looking ahead a little bit, would anyone do a Hibbert, Randle and Jordan deal for Cousins at the trade deadline? Puts us in a position to go into next summer with Cousins and Randle with a year under his belt. That might be a little more attractive to free agents :dontknow:
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#249 » by TyCobb » Tue Jul 7, 2015 4:04 am

iamworthy wrote:Looking ahead a little bit, would anyone do a Hibbert, Randle and Jordan deal for Cousins at the trade deadline? Puts us in a position to go into next summer with Cousins and Randle with a year under his belt. That might be a little more attractive to free agents :dontknow:

That ship has sailed for me.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#250 » by Slava » Tue Jul 7, 2015 4:06 am

dockingsched wrote:

Eh, everything about Jim Buss' role with the lakers was planned out and given to him by Dr Buss, so to me it's a little weird to give Dr Buss credit for staying away when he's the one that put Jim in a position to "dick around". Jim became assistant GM in 1998 and Vice President of bball ops in 2005, so most of his tenure has been under Dr. Buss' watch.

Either way Mitch has repeatedly stated that he's the one to make the call and the one that's accountable for any decisions made. There's nothing to indicate anything but has changed.

Ultimately, the choice will be made by Kupchak, who is empowered by the team's executive vice president, Jim Buss.

"It's going to be my decision, with the support of ownership," he said. "I'll talk to our scouts. Jimmy and I will talk. We talk every day. He'll give his opinion, but it's rare when we have varying opinions."

The No. 2 pick will be the highest of Kupchak's career, and the highest since the franchise selected James Worthy with the top overall selection in 1982.

"At the end of the day, somebody has to be accountable and, for better or for worse, that would be me," Kupchak said.

He's not going to say his **** son has been a failure everywhere else so he had to put him to use in the family business right?
Sofa King
RealGM
And1: 3,034

Post#251 » by Sofa King » Tue Jul 7, 2015 4:10 am

TyCobb wrote:
iamworthy wrote:Looking ahead a little bit, would anyone do a Hibbert, Randle and Jordan deal for Cousins at the trade deadline? Puts us in a position to go into next summer with Cousins and Randle with a year under his belt. That might be a little more attractive to free agents :dontknow:

That ship has sailed for me.

Me too.

djericho
Rookie
And1: 12

Post#252 » by djericho » Tue Jul 7, 2015 10:37 pm

Sofa King wrote:
djericho wrote:Jim needs to go, plain and simple. His first call running the Lakers? Bynum. didn't get Phil back as coach twice. nuff said. team should go to Jeanie, who should get last say. Joey Buss makes personnel calls after some finds for D league, Jim can run the d-fenders.

Jeanie's not any better. Keep on the marketing side and far away from the basketball side.

Agreed, but we'd probably have Phil as a coach, and I think Mitch is better than Phil in the FO.
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,683

Post#253 » by Pointgod » Wed Jul 8, 2015 2:59 am

Yes you do that deal 100 times out of 100. I have a sneaking suspicion that someone is going to offer Clarkson a ridiculous salary in the offseason. I'm talking about 12 million per. That would be roughly 3 million less than Cousins will be making at the same time. He makes us a legitimate threat in free agency.
Jedi32
Head Coach
And1: 6,286

Post#254 » by Jedi32 » Wed Jul 8, 2015 7:32 am

TyCobb wrote:

Jenny hasn't done that at all. Just because she took up for him doesn't mean she's given him power. They done things their way not Kobe's which is the way it should be.
dipstick
Sixth Man
And1: 218

Post#255 » by dipstick » Wed Jul 8, 2015 3:41 pm

Pointgod wrote:

Yes you do that deal 100 times out of 100. I have a sneaking suspicion that someone is going to offer Clarkson a ridiculous salary in the offseason. I'm talking about 12 million per. That would be roughly 3 million less than Cousins will be making at the same time. He makes us a legitimate threat in free agency.

Max for a 2 year player is the MLE I think.
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,683

Post#256 » by Pointgod » Wed Jul 8, 2015 10:42 pm

dipstick wrote:
Pointgod wrote:

You sir are correct. Thanks for the clarification.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#257 » by dockingsched » Wed Jul 8, 2015 11:13 pm

Pointgod wrote:
dipstick wrote:
Pointgod wrote:

I know that salary restriction is in place if one were to use early bird rights that come into play with players that have two years on the team, but I don't believe that would be the case if a team were to sign him with cap space. He's still fall under the 25% of cap max rule for 0-6 yr players.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
dipstick
Sixth Man
And1: 218

Post#258 » by dipstick » Wed Jul 8, 2015 11:24 pm

dockingsched wrote:
Pointgod wrote:
dipstick wrote:

I know that salary restriction is in place if one were to use early bird rights that come into play with players that have two years on the team, but I don't believe that would be the case if a team were to sign him with cap space. He's still fall under the 25% of cap max rule for 0-6 yr players.

Not sure about this either, but I think this is so because of the Gilbert Arenas rule so that teams can keep their own players if they only have the MLE.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q45

This loophole was addressed starting with the 2005 CBA (although not closed completely -- see below). Teams are now limited in the salary they can offer in an offer sheet to a restricted free agent with one or two years in the league. The first-year salary in the offer sheet cannot be greater than the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception (see question number 25). Limiting the first-year salary in this way enables the player's original team to match the offer sheet by using the Early Bird exception (if applicable -- see question number 25), or Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception (provided they have it and haven't used it already)1.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#259 » by dockingsched » Wed Jul 8, 2015 11:31 pm

In those cases it would only result in his first yr salary being capped and the rest of it backloaded similar to Lin and Asik, but it doesn't limit his actual total salary to mle level. Lin for example made 8 mil a yr which was his cap hit, so far greater than the mle.
snaquille oatmeal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,763

Post#260 » by snaquille oatmeal » Thu Jul 9, 2015 12:25 am

TyCobb wrote:

magic says hello! and Paul Westhead says sad face!
Forum permissions