ImageImageImageImageImage

Summer League Tournament ROUND 1 Lakers (11) vs. Mavericks (22) 7/15 (RECAP PG 15)

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

Who will be the leading scorer for the Lakers?

Jordan Clarkson
54%
D'angelo Russell
23%
Julius Randle
14%
Anthony Brown
No votes
Jabari Brown
No votes
Larry Nance Jr.
No votes
Robert Upshaw
No votes
Other
9%

Total votes: 35

Gus McCrae
General Manager
And1: 2,004

Re: Summer League Tournament ROUND 1 Lakers (11) vs. Mavericks (22) 7/15 

Post#281 » by Gus McCrae » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:36 am

Jesus... Madsen would probably call me a superstar if i was out there
moonpie
General Manager
And1: 2,684

Post#282 » by moonpie » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:38 am

[tweet]https://twitter.com/LakersReporter/status/621507674677481472[/tweet]

:noway:
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#283 » by DEEP3CL » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:40 am

I know one thing for sure, Madsen will never be an NBA head coach showing the stuff he's shown. His rotations are puzzling and he sure as hell can't draw up quick hitter plays. But we played better, especially Julius and Jabari. D-Lo has to watch some film on splitting those defenders, and it's not really about speed when doing that but more so about the angle and space.

The Lakers kinda did themselves a favor losing this game, you sure as hell don't want to lose to the D League Select team. That would set off being clowned for the rest of the summer.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#284 » by Slava » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:40 am

Russell's game won't open up until he starts making those 3s. He had deep range in college so the NBA 3 shouldn't be an issue for him, just a matter when his shot starts falling.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#285 » by Slava » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:41 am

I'm still not linking Randle's game, everything is iso for him right now. Nothing coming from the flow of offense, they are not using him as a screener and he stops the ball way too much.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Gus McCrae
General Manager
And1: 2,004

Post#286 » by Gus McCrae » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:44 am

Randle and Russell are so dejected right now hopefully come preseason they can be put in a better position to succeed
ZUDAMAGIC
Veteran
And1: 1,765

Summer League Tournament ROUND 1 Lakers (11) vs. Mavericks (22) 7/15 

Post#287 » by ZUDAMAGIC » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:49 am

Slava wrote:Russell's game won't open up until he starts making those 3s. He had deep range in college so the NBA 3 shouldn't be an issue for him, just a matter when his shot starts falling.
exactly! People do not realize this.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Mirjalovic
Head Coach
And1: 1,780

Post#288 » by Mirjalovic » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:50 am

ScHoolBoy B wrote:Who the **** is Jeremy Tyler?...

he was a top 5 prospect back then.
shawn_hemp wrote: a guy who is far worse than Robert Covington in Brandon Ingram, and a guy who is no better than TJ McConnell or Tony Wroten in D'Angelo Russell.

Sixers fans...

lake_show
Sixth Man
And1: 476

Post#289 » by lake_show » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:57 am

Just noticed that the guards:
Russell (6)
Jabari (6)
Clarkson (5)
Each out rebounded all our bigs:
Randle (4)
Black (4)
Upshaw (2)
And, Nance (1)
Not that it matters now but that's never good.

EDIT: To their (the bigs) credit none of them played more than 21 minuets while Russell, Brown, and Clarkson all played 30 or more minuets.
Talking about how bad Julius Randle is:
DEEP3CL wrote:... When dudes know ball we're just going to call out what we see period.
ArC_man
Veteran
And1: 910

Post#290 » by ArC_man » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:04 am

You have to look at the rate that they're getting rebounds instead of raw rebounds. Randle and Black played ~20 minutes each while our guards all played over 30. Our guards are also terrific rebounders so I don't see it as such a bad thing.

Does anyone know much about this "hustle" stat?
[tweet]https://twitter.com/EricPincus/status/621529881000579072[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/EricPincus/status/621530041231347712[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/EricPincus/status/621530592576847872[/tweet]
lake_show
Sixth Man
And1: 476

Post#291 » by lake_show » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:09 am

ArC_man wrote:You have to look at the rate that they're getting rebounds instead of raw rebounds. Randle and Black played ~20 minutes each while our guards all played over 30. Our guards are also terrific rebounders so I don't see it as such a bad thing.

Does anyone know much about this "hustle" stat?
[tweet]https://twitter.com/EricPincus/status/621529881000579072[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/EricPincus/status/621530041231347712[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/EricPincus/status/621530592576847872[/tweet]

Was editing my post as you posted this lol... But yeah that's a good point.
Talking about how bad Julius Randle is:
DEEP3CL wrote:... When dudes know ball we're just going to call out what we see period.
Lakers415
Banned User
And1: 14

Post#292 » by Lakers415 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:34 am

ScHoolBoy B wrote:Who the **** is Jeremy Tyler?...

One of the top hs prospects in the nation. Than he did a brandon jennings.
moonpie
General Manager
And1: 2,684

Post#293 » by moonpie » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:39 am

Player Recaps/Grades:

Russell- :P His shooting is still off, but that's the last part of his game you should be worried about. It'll come in time. He found a nice groove later in the game, throwing some great passes (a mid air, high bounce pass for Tarik, and a bounce pass with some spin to Mitchell stood out). He's showing that he can get to the rim and finish, but he definitely needs to develop a floater. I'd like to see him get more adept at drawing contact when he gets in there as well. We ran less Princeton today and had Clarkson handle more and it seemed to make a noticeably impact on his play. He missed a corner 3 down the stretch but you could tell he wanted that shot-that's a good sign in that he doesn't shy away from the moment.

Grade: B

Clarkson- :wink: Good job attacking the rim and finishing, wasn't connecting on those 3s though that Randle set up for him. I thought the refs were letting Wayns get away with contact on him that wasn't reciprocated on the other end.

A. Brown- :( You won't really see his value in SL play at this point. He needs offense created for him. World of difference between him and Justin Anderson though. One just went through the motions, the other was all over the place on both ends of the court.

Grade: C

Black- :-? I don't know what was up with him tonight. He was getting thoroughly outplayed by Jeremy Tyler and wasn't showing the usual energy or physicality that we're accustomed to seeing from Tarik. The lowlight of the night was when he received a sweet pass from Russell only to be rejected at the rim by Anderson on a dunk attempt.

Grade: D

Randle- 8-) I was expecting (and hoping) that Julius would have a bounce back game and he proved me right. He was a lot more in control out there, not just going 100 mph, but more like 80. That's the speed that maximizes his brand of bully ball. Showed off the jumper for the first time this summer and it's looking pretty good, even sank a nice step back off a hard jab on one play. His ability to get anywhere on the court will really open things up once he plays with some higher-leveled players during the regular season. Defensively, he's gotta crash the glass more. We know he can, it's just a matter of putting his mind into it. His lateral movement against guards is solid. I'd like to see him use his strength more in general on defense. Make the opponent feel you every play (no homo).

Mitchell- :wink: He again played small ball PF for us in long stretches. Did a decent job at it, might get a camp invite and a spot on the D-Fenders if he wants it.

Nance Jr.- :( We ran him at C for stretches this game. That didn't work out so well. He'll need to get into the gym this summer and really work on that shot, as I've said before. It's the difference between being a fringe "Energy" player or being a high-level role-player.

Grade: C

Upshaw- :P He needs to work on his screen setting, he flares his elbow out too much and is getting called for it. Good hustle though, despite the lack of conditioning. His flat-footed turnaround jumper is his most reliable offensive weapon it seems. All of his hook shots so far have been way off. Would have liked to see him log more minutes tonight, especially since Tarik was not playing up to his standards and Tyler was killing us.

Grade: C+

Munford :) The anti-Buycks. Knows when to take the right shot (and actually makes them) and doesn't force anything. Plays within himself. Camp invite for sure.

Grade: B+

J. Brown- :) Got the starting nod tonight and did a pretty good job. He continues to display a ferocious tenacity in drawing contact at the rim and has the strength to finish these plays. Shooting stroke was again on display tonight. Moved the ball more this game, which I liked. Defensively was matched up with Anderson and did a nice job bodying him up despite giving up a few inches and pounds.

Grade: B+/A-

FOR TUGS Ray Parks Jr.- :wink: From what I can see, he's an undersized slashing SG. Decent first step and shows potential in terms of drawing fouls. Good stance defensively, but his lateral quickness is average. I don't know his measurements, but he didn't seem particular long to me. I would say to take some things from Jabari, actually. Add some more weight, continue to develop the outside shot, and become more multi-faceted.

Grade: B-
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,818

Re: Summer League Tournament ROUND 1 Lakers (11) vs. Mavericks (22) 7/15 (RECAP PG 15) 

Post#294 » by TyCobb » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:01 am

How was that travel not called on the game winner?
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
ratra_1211
Sixth Man
And1: 271

Re: Re: Summer League Tournament ROUND 1 Lakers (11) vs. Mavericks (22) 7/15 (RECAP PG 15) 

Post#295 » by ratra_1211 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:13 am

TyCobb wrote:How was that travel not called on the game winner?

The refs swallow their whistles on last minute posessions. That larry nance shot to end the quarter couldve been a foul iirc
ChocolateThundr
Sixth Man
And1: 13

Re: Summer League Tournament ROUND 1 Lakers (11) vs. Mavericks (22) 7/15 (RECAP PG 15) 

Post#296 » by ChocolateThundr » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:55 pm

I thought Russell had a few flashes of his passing brilliance in this game, one was where he did his bounce spin pass that we have seen before and then there was this:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS9QyuoBcyI[/youtube]

Skip to 2:39. Maybe it is just me, but I don't think I have ever seen many people do that high of a bounce pass off of a shot fake in a PnR situation like that. That pass was placed and bounced perfectly for Black. Russell just needs to get his timings down and these plays will happen.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers