ImageImageImageImageImage

Your Final Thoughts on Summer League

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

Do You Want the Team to Run the Princeton Offense?

Yes
8%
No
54%
Freak NO!
38%

Total votes: 13

Goudelock
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,866

Your Final Thoughts on Summer League 

Post#1 » by Goudelock » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:13 am

I figured that it would be interesting to see how my opinions line up with the other people on this board. Here's mine, written in an unorganized, incoherent mess of a post.

1: Mad Dog needs a lot of work before he coaches again. Why was Buycks and Mitchell playing over Munford and Nance?

2: That start of the first game felt like a playoff game. That was pretty awesome :D

3: I seem to be in the minority, but I did not enjoy watching Randle bring the ball up the floor like he's Lebron James. Except for that time when he dished to Russell on the fastbreak, which made me think that I was watching LO for a second.

4: Clarkson was physically dominant against the SL scrubs, but he ball hogged a lot. The offense seemed to stop whenever he had the ball.

5: Jabari Brown was basically Clarkson-lite, minus the physically dominant part. He's got tunnel-vision.

6: Anthony Brown could've been better. He missed a lot of shots, and played meh defense (at least from my perspective).

7: Those refs during the last game really needed to stop calling everything. It killed the flow of the game :banghead:

8: The announcers were almost as awful as Madsen's coaching. Especially Aldridge; he doesn't the voice for commentating.

9: There were so many Laker fans at the games.

10: Larry Nance was energetic, but didn't have much of an impact outside of maybe 2 games. I can see him becoming a fan-favorite though.

11: I thought that Tarik Black did a decent job on defense and on the boards. But man, he's a fouling machine. I thought that Upshaw showed flashes of being a good defender (he stuffed Towns, Okafor, and Porzingis in consecutive games :o ), but he looks like he's moving in quicksand out there.

12: Dwight Buycks was AWFUL. He was a ball-hog who couldn't make anything. His defense great either.

13: I enjoyed the short commercial breaks in-between quarters. They should be that short during the real season.

14: WTF was that abomination of an offense supposed to accomplish? Every possession would start with Russell (or Clarkson/Buycks) dribbling the ball to the top of the arc. Then the PG would pass the ball to a big with no perimeter shot like Nance on the wing. After 5 seconds of the bigman trying to find a guard to take the ball out of his hands, the clock would be at 8 seconds, and the offense would go into iso mode. Or they would just dribble the ball up the floor and go into iso immediately. Awful stuff to watch.

15: Munford didn't play a lot, but he seemed to do well whenever he got an opportunity to do something.

16: Russell had a very uneven summer league, with a TON of turnovers. However, i'm not sure how many were his fault and how many were a product of the awful coaching/teammates. At times, he seemed to be too passive. Until the last game, he never seemed to be in attack mode AKA he didn't try to get to the basket and get fouled. You could see the potential though: he made some sick passes and that mid-range shot looks very reliable. His defense was much better than I thought it would be.

17: More about the coaching: D'angelo Russell is absolutely on fire in the final quarter, and you'd think that most coaches would have the offense run through him after that. But NNNNNOOOOO, instead, Mad Dog doesn't have Russell touch the ball at all during the last 3 and a half minutes. Is coaching really that difficult?! If you have a player who's got it goin', then you give him the ball!

18: I wish that we still had Pringles as the coach. It hurt me to type that.

19: I'm overreacting to meaningless summer league games, aren't I?

20: Who else is excited for the upcoming season :D
Devin Booker wrote:Bro.
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,270

Re: Your Final Thoughts on Summer League 

Post#2 » by Dr Aki » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:24 am

1. whoever predicted we were going to be SL champs needed their dose of hard reality
Mirjalovic
Head Coach
And1: 1,780

Post#3 » by Mirjalovic » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:54 am

Jabari Brown will be our the best shooter ever in 3pt era.

LeRandle gonna be a beast

Nance can't play SF

Anthony Brown needs to bulk up.
shawn_hemp wrote: a guy who is far worse than Robert Covington in Brandon Ingram, and a guy who is no better than TJ McConnell or Tony Wroten in D'Angelo Russell.

Sixers fans...

blue2324
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#4 » by blue2324 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:58 am

Number 18.

While I am not giving up on Byron, Pringles is undoubtedly the best coach for this team.

As for offense....they can do w/e offense they want, as long as it works and helps development. I feel ppl make too big a deal out of the Princeton and Triangle offense. IMO, w/e is best for Russel is what should be run, and if Princeton is sprinkled in that offense, I am okay with that.
Mirjalovic
Head Coach
And1: 1,780

Post#5 » by Mirjalovic » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:09 am

as for Randle, i think it's good for him to bring the ball everytime he got the rebound. He will try hard to rebound the ball, and it's not like the defenders could stop him, Randle can drive past his defenders at will.
shawn_hemp wrote: a guy who is far worse than Robert Covington in Brandon Ingram, and a guy who is no better than TJ McConnell or Tony Wroten in D'Angelo Russell.

Sixers fans...

aaron_gray
Analyst
And1: 979

Post#6 » by aaron_gray » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:35 am

LeRandle dominated the Steve Nash of big men against the Mavs
TyCobb wrote:Embiid at peak value after reaching a new maturity level.
LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Post#7 » by LApwnd » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:46 am

Offense execution sucked this leading to tje players looking even worse
Lakers415
Banned User
And1: 14

Post#8 » by Lakers415 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:49 am

If Kobee is injured for a long duration again, I can see us being the worse team in the west and second worse team in the league.

Than, we will have to pray to get a top 3 pick next season.

If Kobe leaves, only one free agent/stud is there in durant. The following season, westbrook is the only one there.

Lakers management will have to make some crucials decisions this year on personel and realistic free agency.

Hopefully, scott will be fired by this year and we get a better coach and trade some young pieces for good players in their primes.
what would jack bauer do?
Veteran
And1: 295

Post#9 » by what would jack bauer do? » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:51 am

Our defense is most likely in a lot of trouble with D'angelo and Clarkson as our starting backcourt. I really hate the lack of rhythm players get from a lack of minutes with Byron, but I don't think we should let D'angelo and Clarkson run wild unless they commit to defending every possession. Clarkson has shown he can defend pgs but he expends a lot of energy doing so, Russell is going to be a project there and will most likely have to be hidden within a good team defense. But I think we're going to have to stick Clarkson on the toughest assignment every game and hope he is versatile enough to do so. Hopefully clarkson will have the endurance to be a lock down defender and score on the other end because he's probably one of our top 2 options on offense all things equal.

Kobe and D'angelo will most likely be liabilities. Our biggest need imo is a wing defender with some toughness and grit. I'm gonna be a bit disappointed if we don't add another small forward this offseason.
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,923

Post#10 » by tugs » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:17 am

I'll be that guy.

No. 5 - how I wish we have him to play the 3.
Goudelock
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,866

Re: 

Post#11 » by Goudelock » Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:24 pm

tugs wrote:I'll be that guy.

No. 5 - how I wish we have him to play the 3.

:lol: My mistake. I'll fix it now.
Devin Booker wrote:Bro.
Sofa King
RealGM
And1: 3,034

Post#12 » by Sofa King » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:12 pm

Should have drafted Okafor and Looney

[/green]
Laker_Kid
Starter
And1: 591

Re: Re: Your Final Thoughts on Summer League 

Post#13 » by Laker_Kid » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:21 pm

Mirjalovic wrote:as for Randle, i think it's good for him to bring the ball everytime he got the rebound. He will try hard to rebound the ball, and it's not like the defenders could stop him, Randle can drive past his defenders at will.
definitely could be a strength. he just needs to have more control and turn it into an advantage for our offense.
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#14 » by DEEP3CL » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:10 pm

For the last time would guys STOP BLAMING WHAT HAPPENED IN SL on the PRINCETON offense....the offense isn't a bad offense to run and if anybody here actually took the time to study it's counters and options they wouldn't be saying stupid stuff like "should we run this offense".

And to get #19. out the way......YES YOU ARE WAY OVER REACTING, chill. I've been watching summer leagues for like years and nobody ever made a big deal about these meaningless games until this summer. Nobody shines in these meaningless games because you have too many factors surrounding players. You got guys trying like hell to get a sniff from a NBA team, you got guys who if they bomb on that at least they want a pick up from the Euro scouts that are there, then you got 1 and done college guys trying to show they're better than all those guys.

Overall it makes for bad basketball, especially guys that are free agent pick ups...that's the reason you see a guy like Buycks break away from the offense.

My thoughts on Randle, wish we didn't have a minute restriction on him. But I get he's not even a full year from his break so it is what it is.

Wish we could've played more team oriented ball, Clarkson and Jabari was looking for only their shots and only passed when in trouble.

Would've like to see AB and Nance play more, there was no need to give the other two scrubs that much run when they're not going to even make the team.

Not worried about DeAngelo, he was pressing and wanted to show he was worth a high selection. In camp he'll be with the vets who can pull him aside and point out his mistakes.

Like I said I have us at 41-41 on the season, barring we find a way to steal like 7-8 games we're not suppose to win. This is how we'll make a run for the 8th seed.

Everybody needs to calm down...breathe and enjoy the process, it's not meant for us to cake walk back to the top. We have to earn it.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
Teen Girl Squad
Head Coach
And1: 2,992

Post#15 » by Teen Girl Squad » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:29 am

The princeton offense, or an offense based around those principles, isn't the problem. The problem is that our coaches suck and we have no cohesion on the court (95% of B. Scotts' coaching philosophy is replicating Riley's hard practices and rolling out the ball to a HoF PG). Problem is that NBA defenses are so much better than they used to that his specific style of offense no longer works.
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#16 » by DEEP3CL » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:09 am

Teen Girl Squad wrote:The princeton offense, or an offense based around those principles, isn't the problem. The problem is that our coaches suck and we have no cohesion on the court (95% of B. Scotts' coaching philosophy is replicating Riley's hard practices and rolling out the ball to a HoF PG). Problem is that NBA defenses are so much better than they used to that his specific style of offense no longer works.
It's not that the defense is much better than when he played, in fact I could argue that defense today is a lot more lazier than in the past because they've eliminated the physicality. When you have teams that can sit in zone defenses that's lazy D no matter how you try to rationalize it.

The problem is he doesn't have the players to play smash mouth basketball. This team is built to match up with teams, our main problem will be how many guys can defend with consistency or can the team find a scheme that everyone can play effectively.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers