ImageImageImageImageImage

Gary Vitti's Last Year?

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

iamworthy
RealGM
And1: 8,909

Gary Vitti's Last Year? 

Post#1 » by iamworthy » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:23 am

Vitti has one more year to worry about bumps, bruises and otherwise the rest. Then they become someone else's headache.

He will spend more time with his wife, Martha, and two daughters, no longer logging 320 days a year of work.

Vitti is often an emissary between players and management. He recently met up with Bryant, with whom he shares a longtime bond.

"He was asking about our young kids, and I said, 'You cannot believe how quick and athletic Jordan Clarkson is. He looks fantastic,'" Vitti said. "I said I personally thought D'Angelo Russell is going to be a star. He makes hard things look easy when he has the ball in his hands.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/la-sp-lakers-vitti-kobe-20150727-story.html#page=1
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,445

Re: Gary Vitti's Last Year? 

Post#2 » by Slava » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:28 am

Looks like the Lakers are going to be cleaning house wholesale by next season. I hope they hire a proper sports science team in his stead.

So far, last seasons for:

1. Kobe
2. Vitti
3. Scott
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
iamworthy
RealGM

Post#3 » by iamworthy » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:37 am

Byron Scott? I doubt that.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by Slava » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:41 am

iamworthy wrote:Byron Scott? I doubt that.

I'd highly doubt he's around for another season and part of me thinks they already have THibodeu lined up for the job. No other reason why he hasn't taken one already.
iamworthy
RealGM

Post#5 » by iamworthy » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:52 am

Not sure what the purpose of changing coaches when we continue to not give a coach a team he can win with. Also, keep Thibs away from this team. He is the exact opposite of Pop. Pop doesnt seem to overwork his players while Thibs seem to run his players into the ground. Thibs is going to where out his welcome wherever he goes within 5 years.
Up-And-Coming
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,671

Post#6 » by Up-And-Coming » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:40 am

iamworthy wrote:Not sure what the purpose of changing coaches when we continue to not give a coach a team he can win with. Also, keep Thibs away from this team. He is the exact opposite of Pop. Pop doesnt seem to overwork his players while Thibs seem to run his players into the ground. Thibs is going to where out his welcome wherever he goes within 5 years.

You don't think Thibs is a better coach than Byron Scott? I would welcome Thibs over Scott 10 times out of 10. I can understand if you want to commit to a youth movement and search for a young up-and-coming coach, but either way, imo, Scott is not a long-term solution and should get the boot after next season
Up-And-Coming
Assistant Coach

Post#7 » by Up-And-Coming » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:53 am

Slava wrote:Looks like the Lakers are going to be cleaning house wholesale by next season. I hope they hire a proper sports science team in his stead.

1. Kobe
2. Vitti
3. Scott

Unfortunately, I highly doubt this is Kobe's last season. My gut feeling is that he will sign a one to two year extension and have another go for his 6th ring. After that, I think he will play his last season in Italy or Spain. Please don't get it twisted, I think Kobe had a great career and really helped out this franchise, but at this point I think he is preventing the Lakers from truly rebuilding :nonono:
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by Slava » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:57 am

Up-And-Coming wrote:
Slava wrote:Looks like the Lakers are going to be cleaning house wholesale by next season. I hope they hire a proper sports science team in his stead.

1. Kobe
2. Vitti
3. Scott

Unfortunately, I highly doubt this is Kobe's last season. My gut feeling is that he will sign a one to two year extension and have another go for his 6th ring. After that, I think he will play his last season in Italy or Spain. Please don't get it twisted, I think Kobe had a great career and really helped out this franchise, but at this point I think he is preventing the Lakers from truly rebuilding :nonono:

Everything Mitch has said and done seems to point out that Kobe's done with the Lakers after this season. That's probably the tacit understanding they arrived at when he signed his last extension.
Up-And-Coming
Assistant Coach

Post#9 » by Up-And-Coming » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:03 am

Slava wrote:
Up-And-Coming wrote:

1. Kobe
2. Vitti
3. Scott

Everything Mitch has said and done seems to point out that Kobe's done with the Lakers after this season. That's probably the tacit understanding they arrived at when he signed his last extension.

I think Mitch is hoping this is Kobe's last season, but we all know Kobe is stubborn and idk if he is ready to call it a quits. Anyways here's hoping :beer:
TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,809

Post#10 » by TylersLakers » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:28 pm

If Kobe wants to stick around for another year or 2 at a discount, I'd be perfectly fine with that and so should the Lakers.
jeroka
Sophomore
And1: 23

Post#11 » by jeroka » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:43 pm

is it reasonable to expect the Lakers will be healthier now?
john248
Starter
And1: 651

Post#12 » by john248 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:46 pm

Slava wrote:

I'd highly doubt he's around for another season and part of me thinks they already have THibodeu lined up for the job. No other reason why he hasn't taken one already.

What's up with this line of thought? You really think Thibs already has an offer by the Lakers lined up? LOL!!!

Listen, Thibs may be coach of the Lakers next season just as much as he may coach any other bottom dwelling team. He has a $9 million reason to sit out a season considering he had a year left on his deal when he was fired. No need for crazy theories.
The Last Word
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by Slava » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:53 pm

john248 wrote:
Slava wrote:

What's up with this line of thought? You really think Thibs already has an offer by the Lakers lined up? LOL!!!

Listen, Thibs may be coach of the Lakers next season just as much as he may coach any other bottom dwelling team. He has a $9 million reason to sit out a season considering he had a year left on his deal when he was fired. No need for crazy theories.

That guy is borderline neurotic with his obsession for basketball. If there was a job he was prepared for this season he'd already be on it even for lesser money. I don't think they have an agreement with him already but I wouldn't be surprised if he is in the plans.
iamworthy
RealGM

Post#14 » by iamworthy » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:06 pm

I rather see Mitch or Jim fired before Byron. Sooner or later you gotta stop blaming the coach. Even if you don't like Byron guess who hired him, Jim and Mitch. This team lacks talent. That's Jim and Mitch again. This team will magically get better when we have better players.
john248
Starter
And1: 651

Post#15 » by john248 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:09 pm

iamworthy wrote:Not sure what the purpose of changing coaches when we continue to not give a coach a team he can win with. Also, keep Thibs away from this team. He is the exact opposite of Pop. Pop doesnt seem to overwork his players while Thibs seem to run his players into the ground. Thibs is going to where out his welcome wherever he goes within 5 years.

It's rather naive to just parrot what idiot media people say about Thibs and his minutes distribution while praising Pop at the same time. Pop can play his players no more than 30 minutes because they have 3 or 4 really good players and depth too. You have to realize that there is enough talent on this team to even sit out the top players for multiple games and still get a top playoff seed. This is a luxury for good teams and such a situation isn't applicable to all teams which is very important to note.

The Bulls were never one of those teams once Rose was injured (especially on a team without a 2ndary scorer), and Rose didn't play any more minutes than what we've seen from other top players in the last decade. Thibs got an unfair label of working players when there are other players who play high minutes but now we're to believe that minutes is the sole reason for injury and not changes in style of play and a player's athleticism. What people fail to understand is that if Thibs doesn't play his good players those minutes, they likely don't go to the playoffs. The team has to be good enough to rest players.

Players want minutes. But the majority of them don't want to be told to hustle on defense and focus most of their energy there.
The Last Word
KobeBryant24
Veteran
And1: 2,167

Post#16 » by KobeBryant24 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:30 pm

Hire some of the Suns medical staff
leeprettyp
Assistant Coach
And1: 680

Post#17 » by leeprettyp » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:09 pm

Wholesale cleanup on the way.
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#18 » by DEEP3CL » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:49 pm

Up-And-Coming wrote:

You don't think Thibs is a better coach than Byron Scott? I would welcome Thibs over Scott 10 times out of 10. I can understand if you want to commit to a youth movement and search for a young up-and-coming coach, but either way, imo, Scott is not a long-term solution and should get the boot after next season
You guys kill me with thinking you actually know more than a NBA coach. Yo did you get the memo that Thibs has NEVER been any type of offensive coach ? His whole career was built off his knowledge of defense even though he's NEVER played one minute of NBA ball. Scott has at least taken a team to the Finals, weather he had a veteran team and a guard that didn't like him too much is not relevant.

And like iamworthy said, keep Thibs far from this team as possible. If guys here or anywhere for that matter believe that Thibs was only fired because of a philosophical shift then you better rethink how much you actually know about the NBA. Thibs will never coach a veteran ready to win now team ever again, yeah he'll coach again but only teams that need to be restructured and place on a pth to winning.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
DEEP3CL
RealGM

Post#19 » by DEEP3CL » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:56 pm

1. Kobe
2. Vitti
3. Scott
Lol....I highly doubt Vitti calling it a career has anything to do with "wholesale house cleaning". The man has spent 32 years in the Lakers organization. He's 61 and retiring now is the perfect time....it's what guys his age do. That comment is stretching it a bit in terms of Gary.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
DEEP3CL
RealGM

Post#20 » by DEEP3CL » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:08 am

jeroka wrote:is it reasonable to expect the Lakers will be healthier now?
This comment projects sheer ignorance to even think Vitti was a reason for all the injuries. If anything I have full confidence that Vitti did all he could when giving an analysis of those players injuries. When you here Gary speak about things in a medical sense you know he knows what the hell he's talking about.

And to put guys up to speed on things,being real about it....the Lakers didn't start having all the injuries that had until they changed strength and conditioning coaches. I'll leave it at that, but they haven't been the same since Jim Cota left along with Chip Schaefer.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

Return to Los Angeles Lakers