Gary Vitti's Last Year?

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

jeroka
Sophomore
And1: 23

Re: Gary Vitti's Last Year? 

Post#21 » by jeroka » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:36 am

DEEP3CL wrote:
jeroka wrote:is it reasonable to expect the Lakers will be healthier now?
This comment projects sheer ignorance to even think Vitti was a reason for all the injuries. If anything I have full confidence that Vitti did all he could when giving an analysis of those players injuries. When you here Gary speak about things in a medical sense you know he knows what the hell he's talking about.

And to put guys up to speed on things,being real about it....the Lakers didn't start having all the injuries that had until they changed strength and conditioning coaches. I'll leave it at that, but they haven't been the same since Jim Cota left along with Chip Schaefer.

I never said Vitti was the reason for all the injuries. or did you read me say something like that?
Mamba Venom
RealGM
And1: 580

Post#22 » by Mamba Venom » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:45 pm

I read an article how Randle's injury may have affected Vitti's decision. Vitti said when a player gets injured he looks in the mirror. The Lakers franchise attitude is that when something happens on your watch the first person you look at is yourself mirror. Even though the doctors said Randle was healthy Vitti felt he should have known better.

3 years of injury really upset Vitti
Lakers are 22-3 in OT last 6 seasons:Kobe best OT closer!
EArl
RealGM
And1: 13,228

Post#23 » by EArl » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:52 am

Its funny how when the players kids get sick they bring them to him.
Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing, Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before;
iamworthy
RealGM
And1: 8,909

Post#24 » by iamworthy » Sat Aug 1, 2015 3:24 am

john248 wrote:
iamworthy wrote:Not sure what the purpose of changing coaches when we continue to not give a coach a team he can win with. Also, keep Thibs away from this team. He is the exact opposite of Pop. Pop doesnt seem to overwork his players while Thibs seem to run his players into the ground. Thibs is going to where out his welcome wherever he goes within 5 years.

It's rather naive to just parrot what idiot media people say about Thibs and his minutes distribution while praising Pop at the same time. Pop can play his players no more than 30 minutes because they have 3 or 4 really good players and depth too. You have to realize that there is enough talent on this team to even sit out the top players for multiple games and still get a top playoff seed. This is a luxury for good teams and such a situation isn't applicable to all teams which is very important to note.

The Bulls were never one of those teams once Rose was injured (especially on a team without a 2ndary scorer), and Rose didn't play any more minutes than what we've seen from other top players in the last decade. Thibs got an unfair label of working players when there are other players who play high minutes but now we're to believe that minutes is the sole reason for injury and not changes in style of play and a player's athleticism. What people fail to understand is that if Thibs doesn't play his good players those minutes, they likely don't go to the playoffs. The team has to be good enough to rest players.

Players want minutes. But the majority of them don't want to be told to hustle on defense and focus most of their energy there.

Thibs is a great defensive coach. I give him the majority of the credit for the Celtics beating the Lakers in the Finals. But as a all around coach I think theres questions. I would argue that its a little naive to just ignore mulitiple reports of the same thing.

Some Bulls players purposely avoided Tom Thibodeau in offseason
Some players didn't support Thibodeau's return during exit interviews and avoided him during the past offseason.

Thibodeau's unrelenting intensity is well known by now, but the perception was that his players had his back. That might not have been entirely accurate. News about them taking a break during the offseason, choosing to work out outside the Bulls' practice facilities to avoid him, suggests his style had been wearing thin on them for a while.

Thibodeau has been known to ride his star players for heavy minutes, a practice that has been going out of style as teams try to find ways to prevent injury. Over the years, multiple Bulls have been encouraged to play through pain by their coach, which can also explain why some might have turned on him.

Thibodeau defends division of labor
- Chicago Bulls coach Tom Thibodeau on Friday defended how he divvied up playing time in Wednesday night's triple-overtime win over the Orlando Magic, specifically the fact that Jimmy Butler played a franchise-record 60 minutes, 20 seconds.

Thibodeau has been criticized in years past for overplaying All-Star Luol Deng and, before his string of injuries, former league MVP Derrick Rose.Now he has come under fire for his use of Butler, even though none of his players lead the league in minutes played.

The Chicago Bulls have been decimated by injuries, and it might be their coach's fault

In an era when players' minutes are monitored more closely than ever, Thibodeau continually plays his players higher minutes than the rest of the NBA. Butler leads all players in minutes per game this season at 38.7. Pau Gasol, at age 34, is averaging almost 35 per game (his highest in three years) and Rose's minutes have gone up each month of the season — 23 to 25 to 30 to 34 to 32 (before getting injured).

These aren't new trends for Thibodeau, either. Butler ranked second in minutes per game last year, and Joakim Noah averaged 35 minutes per night. Noah had to get knee surgery in the offseason and has seen a decline in his numbers this season.

In 2011-12 and 2012-13, former Bulls forward Luol Deng led the NBA in minutes per game with 39.4 and 38.7, respectively.

Thibodeau is not necessarily responsible for players' injuries — much of it could be freak accidents. But in recent years, player health and minutes per game have become much more closely linked than in the past. The Spurs have gone to great lengths to limit playing time for guys like Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili during the regular season. This year, LeBron James is averaging 36.4 minutes per night — the lowest number of his career. Teams are simply scaling back minutes for their best players.

Is Thibs 100% at fault...of course not. But do you want to bring this guy in to coach our young guys? Thibs seem like the type of coach you bring in when you have an established team that cant get over the hump. Thibs might be the modern day Larry brown.
jeroka
Sophomore
And1: 23

Post#25 » by jeroka » Sat Aug 1, 2015 7:20 am

iamworthy wrote:Is Thibs 100% at fault...of course not. But do you want to bring this guy in to coach our young guys? Thibs seem like the type of coach you bring in when you have an established team that cant get over the hump. Thibs might be the modern day Larry brown.

I think Thibs is more than just a modern day Larry Brown. I think he can be a coach who can build a team. While most coaches are basically more offense-oriented, Thibs is a defensive coach which makes him an intriguing choice if the Lakers let go of Scott.

One thing I like about Thibs is that he plays with his strengths, had brilliant asst coaches around him to handle the grunt of the offensive strategy.
john248
Starter
And1: 651

Post#26 » by john248 » Sat Aug 1, 2015 10:37 am

iamworthy wrote:
john248 wrote:
iamworthy wrote:Not sure what the purpose of changing coaches when we continue to not give a coach a team he can win with. Also, keep Thibs away from this team. He is the exact opposite of Pop. Pop doesnt seem to overwork his players while Thibs seem to run his players into the ground. Thibs is going to where out his welcome wherever he goes within 5 years.

It's rather naive to just parrot what idiot media people say about Thibs and his minutes distribution while praising Pop at the same time. Pop can play his players no more than 30 minutes because they have 3 or 4 really good players and depth too. You have to realize that there is enough talent on this team to even sit out the top players for multiple games and still get a top playoff seed. This is a luxury for good teams and such a situation isn't applicable to all teams which is very important to note.

The Bulls were never one of those teams once Rose was injured (especially on a team without a 2ndary scorer), and Rose didn't play any more minutes than what we've seen from other top players in the last decade. Thibs got an unfair label of working players when there are other players who play high minutes but now we're to believe that minutes is the sole reason for injury and not changes in style of play and a player's athleticism. What people fail to understand is that if Thibs doesn't play his good players those minutes, they likely don't go to the playoffs. The team has to be good enough to rest players.

Players want minutes. But the majority of them don't want to be told to hustle on defense and focus most of their energy there.

Thibs is a great defensive coach. I give him the majority of the credit for the Celtics beating the Lakers in the Finals. But as a all around coach I think theres questions. I would argue that its a little naive to just ignore mulitiple reports of the same thing.

Some Bulls players purposely avoided Tom Thibodeau in offseason
Some players didn't support Thibodeau's return during exit interviews and avoided him during the past offseason.

Thibodeau's unrelenting intensity is well known by now, but the perception was that his players had his back. That might not have been entirely accurate. News about them taking a break during the offseason, choosing to work out outside the Bulls' practice facilities to avoid him, suggests his style had been wearing thin on them for a while.

Thibodeau has been known to ride his star players for heavy minutes, a practice that has been going out of style as teams try to find ways to prevent injury. Over the years, multiple Bulls have been encouraged to play through pain by their coach, which can also explain why some might have turned on him.

Thibodeau defends division of labor
- Chicago Bulls coach Tom Thibodeau on Friday defended how he divvied up playing time in Wednesday night's triple-overtime win over the Orlando Magic, specifically the fact that Jimmy Butler played a franchise-record 60 minutes, 20 seconds.

Thibodeau has been criticized in years past for overplaying All-Star Luol Deng and, before his string of injuries, former league MVP Derrick Rose.Now he has come under fire for his use of Butler, even though none of his players lead the league in minutes played.

The Chicago Bulls have been decimated by injuries, and it might be their coach's fault

In an era when players' minutes are monitored more closely than ever, Thibodeau continually plays his players higher minutes than the rest of the NBA. Butler leads all players in minutes per game this season at 38.7. Pau Gasol, at age 34, is averaging almost 35 per game (his highest in three years) and Rose's minutes have gone up each month of the season — 23 to 25 to 30 to 34 to 32 (before getting injured).

These aren't new trends for Thibodeau, either. Butler ranked second in minutes per game last year, and Joakim Noah averaged 35 minutes per night. Noah had to get knee surgery in the offseason and has seen a decline in his numbers this season.

In 2011-12 and 2012-13, former Bulls forward Luol Deng led the NBA in minutes per game with 39.4 and 38.7, respectively.

Thibodeau is not necessarily responsible for players' injuries — much of it could be freak accidents. But in recent years, player health and minutes per game have become much more closely linked than in the past. The Spurs have gone to great lengths to limit playing time for guys like Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili during the regular season. This year, LeBron James is averaging 36.4 minutes per night — the lowest number of his career. Teams are simply scaling back minutes for their best players.

Is Thibs 100% at fault...of course not. But do you want to bring this guy in to coach our young guys? Thibs seem like the type of coach you bring in when you have an established team that cant get over the hump. Thibs might be the modern day Larry brown.

I didn't address Thib's intensity anywhere in my post mainly because the issue I took was minutes distribution and comparing him to Pop. The funny thing people do is they'll say Thibs grinds his players then generally they won't commit to blaming that on Rose's injury. It's plain ignorance to compare Thib's situation to that of the Spurs, and I just can't stress this enough. If the Spurs didn't have depth, you'll either see an uptick in the minutes minimally for Parker and Leonard or far more losses than they should have by not playing players who can play more than 32 mpg. That Business Insider article you quoted is a crap piece. And ya know, players sleeping, eating, getting massages, icing down after games...not unique to the Bulls...typical half-ass ESPN article.

Meanwhile, we should be burning Phil Jackson for playing Kobe 38-40 minutes for the majority of his career and Jordan almost 40 minutes past the age of 30. Screw the Championships, let's rest the guys because the media guys say minutes are bad. McHale should've said "screw it, I'll just play Harden 32 mpg and get worse seeding and not go deep in the playoffs". Because there isn't a part of me that thinks playing Jason Terry more so Harden can get a breather means that the Rockets win the same amount of games. That will be tough to sell anyone on. And of course, there are a number of players who played large minutes on the past 20 years who aren't injury prone.

Additionally, I don't know how much of this is Bulls front office throwing him under the bus or how much it's on Thibs. Probably a nice combo of both. Well, there's the Reinsdorf aspect too. The narrative changes a lot for a lame duck coach, and Thibs was on the chopping block a couple seasons ago. So he finds himself in a lose-lose situation even though his teams are winning which is just crazy. This is the same head coach who's team made the playoffs last season and finished top 10 in team SRS. But his players play too many minutes so shame on Thibs. But just a few years ago when Rose was initially injured, the Bulls made the 2nd round and everyone, and I mean everyone, was praising Thibs.

I don't care much if he's a short term coach given his personality. Even on a young team, he managed to get good production out of a couple late 1st round picks in Butler and Gibson. He also had a part in the production of the early picks like Noah, Rose, and Deng...each top 10 picks. Mirotic did well last year as a rookie. I don't mind him much when it comes to developing young players, giving them defined roles, and making them productive. Because of this, I don't see him as a coach to bring into get over the hump when he hasn't been over the hump himself outside of Rose's MVP year...well I guess technically not since they didn't win the championship, but ECF is still impressive on a 60+ win season.

My issue with him is different. I just don't think he really gets what good offense is which is why I don't see him as a championship coach unless he comes to terms with hiring a great offensive assistant. When Rose was healthy, he ran an offense that relied too much on Rose. Come playoff time, it just was too easy for opposing teams to just collapse on Rose which ended up smothering the Bulls offense. And in recent years, the offense wasn't impressive still. His line-ups are always defensive slanted to a fault. But yes, I'd rather him be the coach than Byron Scott. As for next year, it would be dependent on which coaches are available and which assistants are on the rise.
The Last Word
Up-And-Coming
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,671

Post#27 » by Up-And-Coming » Sat Aug 1, 2015 7:45 pm

DEEP3CL wrote:
Up-And-Coming wrote:

You don't think Thibs is a better coach than Byron Scott? I would welcome Thibs over Scott 10 times out of 10. I can understand if you want to commit to a youth movement and search for a young up-and-coming coach, but either way, imo, Scott is not a long-term solution and should get the boot after next season
You guys kill me with thinking you actually know more than a NBA coach. Yo did you get the memo that Thibs has NEVER been any type of offensive coach ? His whole career was built off his knowledge of defense even though he's NEVER played one minute of NBA ball. Scott has at least taken a team to the Finals, weather he had a veteran team and a guard that didn't like him too much is not relevant.

And like iamworthy said, keep Thibs far from this team as possible. If guys here or anywhere for that matter believe that Thibs was only fired because of a philosophical shift then you better rethink how much you actually know about the NBA. Thibs will never coach a veteran ready to win now team ever again, yeah he'll coach again but only teams that need to be restructured and place on a pth to winning.

When did I ever say I know more than an NBA coach? You say Thibs has never been any type of offensive coach. He sure managed to have a few of his Bulls teams outperform expectations with whatever offense he was playing. You act like Byron Scott's offense is top notch...

So what if Thibs NEVER played one minute of NBA ball. I think based on past history, it's clear to see that a lot of the best coaches never played in the NBA and a lot of bad coaches were great NBA players.

Okay, so Thibs may have been fired because he was playing his players too many minutes and/or he had a bad relationship with the front office. Did you know that Byron Scott was fired not once, not twice, but THREE times! By your philosophy, if Thibs should never coach a veteran team ever again, Byron should never coach an NBA team ever again.

I'm not saying Thibs is at the coaching level of Coach Pop, Coach Carlisle or even Coach Kerr... I'm comparing him to Byron Scott. All I'm saying is that I think it is worth a shot to replace Scott with Thibs after this upcoming season.

I'm not exactly sure why you defend Byron so much :crazy:
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#28 » by DEEP3CL » Sun Aug 2, 2015 1:15 am

Up-And-Coming wrote:When did I ever say I know more than an NBA coach? You say Thibs has never been any type of offensive coach. He sure managed to have a few of his Bulls teams outperform expectations with whatever offense he was playing. You act like Byron Scott's offense is top notch...;
I never said his offense was top notch, and again the Bulls were absolutely horrid on offense. Don't know what you thought you were watching but the stuff the Bulls ran on his watch was less than stellar.All they were running was simple high screen/roll or pin downs to free Rose. High school teams could've ran what they did.

Up-And-Coming wrote:Okay, so Thibs may have been fired because he was playing his players too many minutes and/or he had a bad relationship with the front office. Did you know that Byron Scott was fired not once, not twice, but THREE times! By your philosophy, if Thibs should never coach a veteran team ever again, Byron should never coach an NBA team ever again.
The difference here is that Byron has never been defensive with the front offices that hired him and would stand a better chance than Thibs of getting hired somewhere else. The book is out on Thibs now, and GM's and front office personnel will be leery of it from here on out.

Up-And-Coming wrote:I'm not saying Thibs is at the coaching level of Coach Pop, Coach Carlisle or even Coach Kerr... I'm comparing him to Byron Scott. All I'm saying is that I think it is worth a shot to replace Scott with Thibs after this upcoming season.
It's not going to happen, why should a coach be replaced when he hasn't had a team even talented enough to show weather or not what he's doing or not doing is wrong for the team ? It's not like a guy like Thibs will take the team and suddenly vault them to contending/ elite status....that's a pipe dream.

Up-And-Coming wrote:I'm not exactly sure why you defend Byron so much :crazy:
Because he knows more about coaching in the pros than most of the posters here who think they have more answers to coaching than he does.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
john248
Starter

Post#29 » by john248 » Sun Aug 2, 2015 4:09 am

DEEP3CL wrote:
Up-And-Coming wrote:When did I ever say I know more than an NBA coach? You say Thibs has never been any type of offensive coach. He sure managed to have a few of his Bulls teams outperform expectations with whatever offense he was playing. You act like Byron Scott's offense is top notch...;
I never said his offense was top notch, and again the Bulls were absolutely horrid on offense. Don't know what you thought you were watching but the stuff the Bulls ran on his watch was less than stellar.All they were running was simple high screen/roll or pin downs to free Rose. High school teams could've ran what they did.

Up-And-Coming wrote:Okay, so Thibs may have been fired because he was playing his players too many minutes and/or he had a bad relationship with the front office. Did you know that Byron Scott was fired not once, not twice, but THREE times! By your philosophy, if Thibs should never coach a veteran team ever again, Byron should never coach an NBA team ever again.
The difference here is that Byron has never been defensive with the front offices that hired him and would stand a better chance than Thibs of getting hired somewhere else. The book is out on Thibs now, and GM's and front office personnel will be leery of it from here on out.

Up-And-Coming wrote:I'm not saying Thibs is at the coaching level of Coach Pop, Coach Carlisle or even Coach Kerr... I'm comparing him to Byron Scott. All I'm saying is that I think it is worth a shot to replace Scott with Thibs after this upcoming season.
It's not going to happen, why should a coach be replaced when he hasn't had a team even talented enough to show weather or not what he's doing or not doing is wrong for the team ? It's not like a guy like Thibs will take the team and suddenly vault them to contending/ elite status....that's a pipe dream.

Up-And-Coming wrote:I'm not exactly sure why you defend Byron so much :crazy:
Because he knows more about coaching in the pros than most of the posters here who think they have more answers to coaching than he does.

The Bulls offense is nothing special, but they were far from horrid as you say. They were actually above league average last season, so I don't think you were really watching them either. While it wasn't a free flowing offense, it was still improved from what we saw when Rose was 1st injured as that injury pretty much forced Thibs to change his offensive system a bit. Still a team that sets good screens and last season more willing to shoot the 3. The emergence of Butler certainly helped as he was used as a drive and dish guy, and in PnR situations too. Adding Gasol and Mirotic was a nice boost to get the offense at a 107 rating.

The main issue was how conservative the offense was which is really where the argument is. Again not as free flowing hurts too. They just didn't run in transition to get some easy points and would still rather grind it out and chew up clock. This would be something that would make me question a coaches philosophy on offense as there's no reason to let the other team get set on defense. He's been resistant to hiring an good offensive assistant every since Ron Adams was fired. But anyways, horrid? Definitely not, and the eye and numbers test back that up. The Bulls offense were just as good with or without Rose.

Comparing Thibs to Byron is an exercise of stupidity. Byron hasn't done anything meaningful for a long time, and he clearly hasn't evolved as the game as evolved. He's a classic retread coach at this time. He just had 1 good season with New Orleans which happened to be the year CP3 went wild while being a dozen years removed from the Nets. Since then, he's been the losing coach of the Cavs teams, unable to help turn that team around. We should expect no different here. You may as well defend Mike Brown.
The Last Word
DEEP3CL
RealGM

Post#30 » by DEEP3CL » Sun Aug 2, 2015 7:04 pm

john248 wrote:The Bulls offense is nothing special, but they were far from horrid as you say. They were actually above league average last season, so I don't think you were really watching them either. While it wasn't a free flowing offense,
Yo dude this IS EXACTLY WHAT I MEAN WHEN I SAY IT WAS HORRID.....dude I don't deal with stats or numbers when talking X's and O's, I'm talking about fluidity and the function of an offense when I criticize it. Their offense was simplistic and remedial...hence why I said high school's could run it. Don't tell me I wasn't watching them when I clearly was...comments like that make me explode in laughter. You pretty much make my point in the rest of your post in these points...

john248 wrote:The main issue was how conservative the offense was which is really where the argument is.

john248 wrote:Again not as free flowing hurts too. They just didn't run in transition to get some easy points and would still rather grind it out and chew up clock.

john248 wrote: But anyways, horrid? Definitely not, and the eye and numbers test back that up. The Bulls offense were just as good with or without Rose.
If a non free flowing , conservative , grind it out offense isn't horrid than please explain what is ?

I'm not opposed to a grind it out style as long as it's effective and you have constant counters for the defense, the Triangle is nothing more than a grind it out style too, but it contains variety and is no where near simplistic.

I've been to a lot of coaching clinics where pro and college coaches were guess speakers and they show you a lot of stuff at those things. Trust me the Bulls were running pretty simple stuff designed around one guy's talents....it was horrid when he was out and horrid when he came back because the Bulls lacked creators off the dribble (other than Rose ) that could veer away from their simple sets.

Bottom line their offense had no imagination.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
john248
Starter

Post#31 » by john248 » Sun Aug 2, 2015 9:12 pm

DEEP3CL wrote:
john248 wrote:The Bulls offense is nothing special, but they were far from horrid as you say. They were actually above league average last season, so I don't think you were really watching them either. While it wasn't a free flowing offense,
Yo dude this IS EXACTLY WHAT I MEAN WHEN I SAY IT WAS HORRID.....dude I don't deal with stats or numbers when talking X's and O's, I'm talking about fluidity and the function of an offense when I criticize it. Their offense was simplistic and remedial...hence why I said high school's could run it. Don't tell me I wasn't watching them when I clearly was...comments like that make me explode in laughter. You pretty much make my point in the rest of your post in these points...

john248 wrote:The main issue was how conservative the offense was which is really where the argument is.

john248 wrote:Again not as free flowing hurts too. They just didn't run in transition to get some easy points and would still rather grind it out and chew up clock.

john248 wrote: But anyways, horrid? Definitely not, and the eye and numbers test back that up. The Bulls offense were just as good with or without Rose.
If a non free flowing , conservative , grind it out offense isn't horrid than please explain what is ?

I'm not opposed to a grind it out style as long as it's effective and you have constant counters for the defense, the Triangle is nothing more than a grind it out style too, but it contains variety and is no where near simplistic.

I've been to a lot of coaching clinics where pro and college coaches were guess speakers and they show you a lot of stuff at those things. Trust me the Bulls were running pretty simple stuff designed around one guy's talents....it was horrid when he was out and horrid when he came back because the Bulls lacked creators off the dribble (other than Rose ) that could veer away from their simple sets.

Of course you don't deal with stats or numbers. It doesn't support your argument, so you dismiss it even if you're just blatantly wrong and continue to be wrong. The offense was better than league average last year. As such, it doesn't make it horrid. In fact, both the offense and defense were borderline top 10 last season and yet you still say that's horrid. Keep in mind this is a team who's defense slipped last year and the offensive boost last year was what made the Bulls a playoff team. Before you claim "but Eastern Conference", the Bulls were borderline top 10 in team SRS last year overall.

You're referring mainly to the Bulls offense the years a bit after Rose was injured which was largely a different offense than what they displayed just last year. An increase in 3 PT shooting, utilizing Butler at PnR situations and as a drive and dish player, and playing more line-ups of Gasol and Mirotic is indeed better offense. Is it on the level of what the Warriors, Spurs, Hawks, and Blazers did last year? No, but not a lot of teams did what they did. We're talking an offensive lift from one of the worst to in the top third of the league due to changes in play style and personnel. There isn't a need for you to parrot old info.

I did bring up other things that...well, you didn't. Not taking advantage of transition opportunities and they could still work on ball movement. What the Lakers ran last year was horrid. And this is all Byron Scott.

Calling a play for Jordan Hill out of a time out that ends up in a bricked jumper is horrid. Having old Kobe in isolation is horrid. Pairing Jordan Clarkson and Jeremey Lin is horrid and just plain f-ing stupid to have 2 guys who cannot play off ball and have no shooting range together. The Bulls at least utilized Butler and Gasol, and still used Noah as a passing hub in the high post when he was out there. The Lakers under Scott had no effort whatsoever. At least the Bulls were setting screens to get guys open and had the ball in the hands of the offensive players who could do something.

If you think Rose was the only guy who could create, then you weren't watching them last year. You were paying attention to Butler who was emerging and played well with the ball in his hands and creating. The Bulls offense didn't skip a beat when Rose went out.

Maybe you can go to more coaching clinics and brush up, look up what horrid means, or maybe you just like posting hyperbole.
The Last Word
DEEP3CL
RealGM

Post#32 » by DEEP3CL » Thu Aug 6, 2015 10:59 pm

john248 wrote:
DEEP3CL wrote:

Of course you don't deal with stats or numbers. It doesn't support your argument, so you dismiss it even if you're just blatantly wrong and continue to be wrong. The offense was better than league average last year. As such, it doesn't make it horrid. In fact, both the offense and defense were borderline top 10 last season and yet you still say that's horrid. Keep in mind this is a team who's defense slipped last year and the offensive boost last year was what made the Bulls a playoff team. Before you claim "but Eastern Conference", the Bulls were borderline top 10 in team SRS last year overall.

You're referring mainly to the Bulls offense the years a bit after Rose was injured which was largely a different offense than what they displayed just last year. An increase in 3 PT shooting, utilizing Butler at PnR situations and as a drive and dish player, and playing more line-ups of Gasol and Mirotic is indeed better offense. Is it on the level of what the Warriors, Spurs, Hawks, and Blazers did last year? No, but not a lot of teams did what they did. We're talking an offensive lift from one of the worst to in the top third of the league due to changes in play style and personnel. There isn't a need for you to parrot old info.

I did bring up other things that...well, you didn't. Not taking advantage of transition opportunities and they could still work on ball movement. What the Lakers ran last year was horrid. And this is all Byron Scott.

Calling a play for Jordan Hill out of a time out that ends up in a bricked jumper is horrid. Having old Kobe in isolation is horrid. Pairing Jordan Clarkson and Jeremey Lin is horrid and just plain f-ing stupid to have 2 guys who cannot play off ball and have no shooting range together. The Bulls at least utilized Butler and Gasol, and still used Noah as a passing hub in the high post when he was out there. The Lakers under Scott had no effort whatsoever. At least the Bulls were setting screens to get guys open and had the ball in the hands of the offensive players who could do something.

If you think Rose was the only guy who could create, then you weren't watching them last year. You were paying attention to Butler who was emerging and played well with the ball in his hands and creating. The Bulls offense didn't skip a beat when Rose went out.

Maybe you can go to more coaching clinics and brush up, look up what horrid means, or maybe you just like posting hyperbole.
You're a complete joke of a poster, you basically contradicted yourself but you're playing blind and fail to realize what you even said. Again if you say a team was conservative and lacked flow on offense...even with Rose, dude that's a inept offense no matter how you try to cut it. Also like I said the Bulls lack a true creator other than Rose, yet you mention Butler...go on some myopic thought that I don't watch them and go on to mention that he "was playing well and creating"....yeah he averaged a dynamic 3 assist a game. Hell of a creator there, that Butler is......

And to even bring up what the hell Scott is doing is irrelevant, the point of emphasis was on Thibs and his offense. Thib's has had way more talent than Byron had, so him calling a play for anybody when Kobe Bryant ISN'T there isn't all that damn surprising. Who else was suppose to get the damn ball ? Like it would've a difference....geez.

And speaking of hyperbole....saying Clarkson can't play off the ball has got to be the dumbest thing I've seen posted from you yet. Seeing that's exactly what he did all damn summer.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

john248
Starter

Post#33 » by john248 » Fri Aug 7, 2015 5:50 am

DEEP3CL wrote:You're a complete joke of a poster, you basically contradicted yourself but you're playing blind and fail to realize what you even said. Again if you say a team was conservative and lacked flow on offense...even with Rose, dude that's a inept offense no matter how you try to cut it. Also like I said the Bulls lack a true creator other than Rose, yet you mention Butler...go on some myopic thought that I don't watch them and go on to mention that he "was playing well and creating"....yeah he averaged a dynamic 3 assist a game. Hell of a creator there, that Butler is......

And to even bring up what the hell Scott is doing is irrelevant, the point of emphasis was on Thibs and his offense. Thib's has had way more talent than Byron had, so him calling a play for anybody when Kobe Bryant ISN'T there isn't all that damn surprising. Who else was suppose to get the damn ball ? Like it would've a difference....geez.

And speaking of hyperbole....saying Clarkson can't play off the ball has got to be the dumbest thing I've seen posted from you yet. Seeing that's exactly what he did all damn summer.

Oh damn, someone got mad. LOL!!! Well, it's not everyday I come across someone who has 26k worth of useless posts. :lol:

If you can't tell the difference between the offense that the Bulls ran last year versus what they did in 2014, there's no helping you. You operate in extremes, so it's a bit tough to get through to you. Can't say I really care though. Going from a bottom 5 offense to one that was above league average last year is proof enough, and it's rather black and white. Ah well, it's probably a reason why you don't have much ot say. At some point, you'll have to figure out the difference between being horrid and being a team that's not horrid but is actually middle of the road and could use improvement. The Bulls went away with the one man offense of Derrick Rose and went to one where more of the team could contribute whether due to Rose's injury or shifts in the front office's line of thinking as they were reported to want more offense. Instead of solely having Rose being the offense or Noah being the passing hub (after Rose's injury), they've added more offensive players in Gasol and Mirotic. Butler also emerged.

You seem to think that Butler had to be the sole creator on the team when the reality was that more players were able to contribute. Butler was a player who had the ball in his hands a lot, and he did show a nice ability when he was penetrating to make the pass. It's important to bring up because he does do good things with the ball in his hands. Is he like Harden or 2012 Rose? Of course, not. I never implied he was on that level except to say that he was indeed contributing and one was was through his much improved play making. If you don't think his contributions and his play making contributed in a positive way, then there's no use going further. After all, you think an offense that was slightly above league average is horrid. The fact of the matter is, the Bulls offense did just as well with and without Rose.

You actually wrote about Scott in post 28. Considering it's now talking about head coaches, it's fun to bring up the crap Scott does. You know, the guy you seemingly endorse for whatever asinine reason because his plays last year is an example off what HORRID is. Calling a play for a Hill jumper is stupid. Calling it multiple times, and you have to wonder if he's a slow adult. Rejecting analytics, even worse.

Russell actually played better off ball than Clarkson when the 2 shared the court in the Summer League. Just sayin'... Clarkson wasn't really all that impressive.
The Last Word
john248
Starter

Post#34 » by john248 » Fri Aug 7, 2015 6:28 am

DEEP3CL wrote:blah blah blah

Just for the hell of it...

http://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2015.html
above: You can sort the misc stats yourself for team ORTG. 107.5 (Bulls) vs 105.6 (league average)

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/r/rosede01/on-off/2015/
DRose on: 107.5 vs DRose off: 107.4

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/summer-league-pacific-162600254--nba.html
Clarkson, still with an inconsistent jumper. My guess is this is in reference to his catch and shoot since off the dribble, he's actually really solid within the arc. So this hurts him as an off-ball player, but this didn't stop someone like Wade from being a good off-ball player the last few years; Clarkson didn't show the same ability in summer league. Still in development. No reason to think it's a finished product or that he's actually good at it just because he was forced to do it with Russell on the court too.
The Last Word
DEEP3CL
RealGM

Post#35 » by DEEP3CL » Fri Aug 7, 2015 11:38 pm

@john248
Whatever.... And for the record I DIDN'T bring up Scott first. A poster I quoted brought him into the convo....brush up on that reading comp homie !
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 5,388

Post#36 » by Danny Darko » Sat Aug 8, 2015 12:03 am

Yall stop derailing the Vitti thread

Return to Los Angeles Lakers