Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

JuanCesta
Banned User
And1: 12

Re: Kobe Era PG's:Looking Back 

Post#21 » by JuanCesta » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:04 pm

ak7 wrote:
Lakers415 wrote:I bet Jeremy lin puts better numbers than Clarkson this year

I bet Jeremy Lin finds himself on another team within two years because he's nothing more than an overrated pile of offensive garbage.

Official warning for flaming the Laker board
DD
Lakers415
Banned User
And1: 14

Post#22 » by Lakers415 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:54 pm

JuanCesta wrote:
ak7 wrote:
Lakers415 wrote:I bet Jeremy lin puts better numbers than Clarkson this year

I bet Jeremy Lin finds himself on another team within two years because he's nothing more than an overrated pile of offensive garbage.

That's funny because Lin wasn't the one chucking up 30 shots a game to shoot under 38% from the field and 29% from 3 point land and to add in a huge bunch of turnovers.

I think offensive pile of garbage was this man I'm referring to.

Well, Lin's playing with kemba walker. Another overrated guard in the league that is a pg, yet a volume shooter. However, the hornets have 0 expectations and Lin has the backing of the GM and the coach, which is completely different than LA.

Still think Lin was overrated and hyped up too much just like the same hype I see JC getting now. Difference was Lin was winning games for NYK, while the Lakers were not. Lin was putting up insane numbers like 26ppg and +10assist. However, any scout could tell you it was due to his ball dominance and mike d offense he was balling out of his mind. In addition, no one had any scouting report on Lin until Miami heat came and demolished lin on national tv.

I would bet JC not here in 2 years as well.
PKABOOICU
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,128

Post#23 » by PKABOOICU » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:59 pm

tugs wrote:I got curious and went back to see how the potential PG duo of DRuss and JClark stacks up to the past Lakers point guards. I wanted to see what PG qualities meshed well with Kobe's style and brought success to the ball club. Of course the coach and the system should be factored in the fit but talent-wise, I think this two may well be in the Top 3 mix with 2000 & 2009.

I think Chucky Atkins also played well with Kobe. Javaris Crittenton seemed to have a lot of upside back then (though categorized as SG by BR). But we know what happened during those years.

The list (via Basketball Reference):

1996 - Nick Van Exel, Derek Fisher, Rumeal Robinson

1997 - Nick Van Exel, Derek Fisher

1998 - Derek Fisher, Tyronn Lue, Derek Harper, Sam Jacobson

1999 - Ron Harper,Derek Fisher, Tyronn Lue, John Celestand, Sam Jacobson

2000 - Ron Harper, Mike Penberthy, Derek Fisher, Tyronn Lue

2001 - Derek Fisher, Lindsey Hunter, Brian Shaw, Joe Crispin, Mike Penberthy

2002 - Derek Fisher, Brian Shaw, Kareem Rush, Jannero Pargo

2003 - Gary Payton, Jannero Pargo

2004 - Chucky Atkins, Tierre Brown

2005 - Smush, Parker, Sasha Vujacic, Aaron Mckie

2006 - Smush Parker, Jordan Farmar, Shammond Williams

2007 - Derek Fisher, Jordan Farmar, Javaris Crittenton*

2008 - Derek Fisher, Jordan Farmar

2009 - Derek Fisher, Jordan Farmar

2010 - Derek Fisher, Steve Blake

2011 - Derek Fisher, Steve Blake, Ramon Sessions, Darius Morris

2012 - Steve Nash, Steve Blake, Chris Duhon, Darius Morris

2013 - Kendall Marshall, Jordan Farmar, Steve Blake, Steve Nash

2014 - Jeremy Lin, Ronnie Price, Jordan Clarkson, Dwight Buycks

2015 - D'Angelo Russel, Jordan Clarkson, _______

This pair could potentially be the most talented backcourt-mates Kobe has ever had. Very excited for this season.

The highlighted ones are where we've had the most success. Van Exel was the best PG the lakers have had in the last 15 years. Steve Blake was a pest and a seasoned vet who knew how to play tough. Fisher had longevity and clutches and was a fan favorite. Jordan Farmar wasn't a reliable player but he was serviceable under Phil Jackson. Brian Shaw had a short but sweet career in LA. PG was always our weakest position probably until now.
But Russell+Clarkson can be the best PG/SG the lakers have ever had, considering they play up to their potential and have long careers together in LA.
The Lakers have a nice young core man...its all about building chemistry and growing together. I think we did a great job in the draft..it didn't quite show in the preseason, but 3 of those guys are keepers for quite a long time. I think LA will be fine in the next 3 years or so.
LakersLegacy
Head Coach
And1: 3,869

Post#24 » by LakersLegacy » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:28 am

It's the opposite of Kobe Era C's

I love Fish but Kobe is even more amazing when you consider how we kept winning without a great PG in 20 years.
Laker_Kid
Starter
And1: 591

Re: Re: Kobe Era PG's:Looking Back 

Post#25 » by Laker_Kid » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:44 am

Lakers415 wrote:
JuanCesta wrote:
ak7 wrote:

That's funny because Lin wasn't the one chucking up 30 shots a game to shoot under 38% from the field and 29% from 3 point land and to add in a huge bunch of turnovers.

However, the hornets have 0 expectations and Lin has the backing of the GM and the coach, which is completely different than LA.

Still think Lin was overrated and hyped up too much just like the same hype I see JC getting now. Difference was Lin was winning games for NYK, while the Lakers were not.
HAHAHAHA lin's hype = clarkson's hype?? are you fking kidding me?? hahaha oh man.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#26 » by Kilroy » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:09 am

Why the **** are we talking about Jeremy Lin?
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
john248
Starter
And1: 651

Post#27 » by john248 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:33 am

Kilroy wrote:Why the **** are we talking about Jeremy Lin?

Seriously!
The Last Word
Jakay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,928

Post#28 » by Jakay » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:01 am

Tarik_shaq wrote:Smush and shammond williams probably was more talented that anyone kobes ever played with. Just their leadership alone, experience, and swagger on the court gave the lakers so much energy on offense which allowed kobe to iso against smaller defenders. Derek fisher along with tyronne might come second as those 2 provided the experience to lead the lakers to 3 ships.

Woah there, lay off the pipe my friend. Anyone taking Fisher and Lue (I mean, he did play okay against Iverson I guess) over the Farmar/Blake era is clearly forgetting the dynamic change of pace and all around talents those two brought. I would go with Payton and Kareem Rush in fourth. Rush was just so versatile, playing minutes at both SG and PG, and Payton brought that edgy streak with decent on court production.
Lakers415
Banned User
And1: 14

Re: Re: Kobe Era PG's:Looking Back 

Post#29 » by Lakers415 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:31 pm

Laker_Kid wrote:
Lakers415 wrote:
JuanCesta wrote:

However, the hornets have 0 expectations and Lin has the backing of the GM and the coach, which is completely different than LA.

Still think Lin was overrated and hyped up too much just like the same hype I see JC getting now. Difference was Lin was winning games for NYK, while the Lakers were not.
HAHAHAHA lin's hype = clarkson's hype?? are you fking kidding me?? hahaha oh man.

Crazy thing about Lin is that people thought he was some asian kid that had subpar physical attributes and all mental game, when it was the complete opposite.

Lin's physical department was blue chip level for NBA. His nba iq was overrated since he was an asian from harvard. His height, first step and top speed were amazing.

Jeremy Lin numbers:

AVERAGE SPEED

Jeremy Lin: 16.66 mph

Derrick Rose: 16.60 mph

John Wall: 16.48 mph

Kyrie Irving: 15.67 mph

START SPEED

Lin: 13.93 mph

Wall: 13.25 mph

Irving: 12.64 mph

TOP SPEED

Lin: 18.85 mph

Wall: 19.30 mph

Irving: 18.74 mph

Clarkson has nothing over Lin imo. You can compare last season's stats, but Lin was role was different on the team.... Why don't we compare Lin in the Knicks with clarkson last season?(that's like saying why don't we use hibbert's stats from last season as an indicator to compare?)
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#30 » by Kilroy » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:17 pm

Lin isn't even a top 10 Laker PG... And that's saying a hell of a lot. That's not what this thread was about though. Time to move on.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...

Return to Los Angeles Lakers