Lakers Seriously Considering Signing MWP

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

EArl
RealGM
And1: 13,230

Re: Lakers Seriously Considering Signing MWP 

Post#81 » by EArl » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:20 pm

I thought that mods couldn't block people lol
Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing, Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before;
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#82 » by Kilroy » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:27 pm

Hey, why doesn't EArl post here anymore? Drugs?
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
DrazenPetrovic3
Ballboy
And1: 6

Post#83 » by DrazenPetrovic3 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:14 pm

I don't think he can be any worse than Kelly or any of the wing rooks who should spend entire season in d-league. Or at least until all-star, barring any injuries.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#84 » by Kilroy » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:19 pm

Did any of you guys watch any of the games MWP played in China? I didn't watch much, but I saw enough to say MWP has no business on a NBA court outside of possibly practice, as a 'tackling dummy' of sorts.
He is definitely wors than Kelly and any of the wing rookies. He's a slow, immovable object at this point. Which is only a slight downgrade from his final season with the Lakers in all honesty.

Time to stop thinking of MWP the personality and legend, and start accepting MWP the present.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,231

Post#85 » by crazyeights » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:09 pm

DrazenPetrovic3 wrote:I don't think he can be any worse than Kelly or any of the wing rooks who should spend entire season in d-league. Or at least until all-star, barring any injuries.

I keep seeing this sentiment (so no worries, man, not trying to single you out...especially on your first post [welcome to the board!]) but, just want to say that NONE of our rookies should spend the "entire season" in the D-League. Zero. Zilch.

Look at the past few seasons, we've been scraping the bottom of the barrel with injury exemptions, 16/17+ guys. Odds are we'll need all 15 guys who make the cut throughout the year--especially with Kobe likely racking up DNP - rests.

Should we utilize the D-League this season? Absolutely.

But even aside from injuries, these guys are going to need to get used to the NBA game, NBA competition, NBA travel, NBA speed (which the D-League is a bastardization of). No one's spending the entire season anywhere. We can't afford it. Not for their development. They need to practice with the main squad, they need to get in-game experience throughout the season, and only when we're healthy enough to consistently utilize the 13 guys on the active list, give the other 2 a run in the minors.

Last year Randle couldn't even suit up, but he traveled with the team for some time. That experience alone, is very valuable, regardless of if he played or not.
DrazenPetrovic3
Ballboy
And1: 6

Post#86 » by DrazenPetrovic3 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:06 pm

crazyeights wrote:
DrazenPetrovic3 wrote:I don't think he can be any worse than Kelly or any of the wing rooks who should spend entire season in d-league. Or at least until all-star, barring any injuries.

I keep seeing this sentiment (so no worries, man, not trying to single you out...especially on your first post [welcome to the board!]) but, just want to say that NONE of our rookies should spend the "entire season" in the D-League. Zero. Zilch.

Look at the past few seasons, we've been scraping the bottom of the barrel with injury exemptions, 16/17+ guys. Odds are we'll need all 15 guys who make the cut throughout the year--especially with Kobe likely racking up DNP - rests.

Should we utilize the D-League this season? Absolutely.

But even aside from injuries, these guys are going to need to get used to the NBA game, NBA competition, NBA travel, NBA speed (which the D-League is a bastardization of). No one's spending the entire season anywhere. We can't afford it. Not for their development. They need to practice with the main squad, they need to get in-game experience throughout the season, and only when we're healthy enough to consistently utilize the 13 guys on the active list, give the other 2 a run in the minors.

Last year Randle couldn't even suit up, but he traveled with the team for some time. That experience alone, is very valuable, regardless of if he played or not.

I didn't really mean for them to spend whole NBA schedule with d-fenders but more like that they play with them to keep being competitive and when an injury occurs they play. Also, introduce them around xmas to the team if the roster is open and if the team is a travesty. I'd most certainly play them in blowouts and on back-to-backs where I'd rest Kobe.

Also, thanks :)
FrozenIceCubes
Banned User
And1: 77

Post#87 » by FrozenIceCubes » Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:49 am

Not sure why the Lakers just didn't resign Wes despite his overall inconsistency He did show us some bright moments I hope if MWP is signed it's just for a coaching/training capacity.. The Lakers don't need to embarrass themselves there is plenty of SF options out there if they weren't so stubborn about there concern over the SF position.
kblo247
RealGM
And1: 2,130

Post#88 » by kblo247 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:29 pm

Kilroy wrote:Did any of you guys watch any of the games MWP played in China? I didn't watch much, but I saw enough to say MWP has no business on a NBA court outside of possibly practice, as a 'tackling dummy' of sorts.
He is definitely wors than Kelly and any of the wing rookies. He's a slow, immovable object at this point. Which is only a slight downgrade from his final season with the Lakers in all honesty.

Time to stop thinking of MWP the personality and legend, and start accepting MWP the present.

Kelly is worse. Let's be clear here, Metta as it stands now has more game than Kelly ever had. That's who you're comparing him to Sacre and Kelly. Metta at the 4 next to Dwight last time he was a laker was a top 5 defensive PF and c combo in the league stats wise when they played together sans Pau; that's better than any positional defense Sacre has ever offered vs post guys. Kelly shot 34% from the field 34% from the 3 and less than 40% at layup range, was the 11th worse defensive player on the team, has been hurt every year he's been on the team including at the draft actually.

Metta is a better 10th guy that those two bums. He just averaged double digit ppg in china and Italy. They only thing Kelly has ever averaged double digits at is games missed on his career. He doesn't belong in the league period.

Some people here were saying to Dorell Wright, but metta's last nba years were better than his as well. You're not asking him to start. You're asking him to be the 10th man and defend PFs off the bench while Randle defends SFs. And you're in denial if you don't think that's necessary when Scott always plays 10 guys and you got Randle struggling to defend or board vs forwards in summer league and preseason the past two years. Randles only shot at rebounding is straight up at the SF spot on D when Metta boxes the 4 out like he did for Earl Clark his last year in la

Metta's last recorded footage is in Italy and the Drew actually.
LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Post#89 » by LApwnd » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:44 am

Lets sign shaq to while we at, couldnt be worse than sacre right?
Marionettetc
Sixth Man
And1: 969

Post#90 » by Marionettetc » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:19 pm

Need Shaq, Devin George, Vladman, Tyron Lue, Laron Profit, Luke Walton, Aaron Mckie, Jim Jackson, Sun Yue, get D.Fish to retire as coach and unretire...

Along with Kobe and our young guns that team could definitely put up some Ws
Beethoven
Head Coach
And1: 3,831

Post#91 » by Beethoven » Mon Sep 7, 2015 5:38 am

Ok so...

When are we making this move of the century?
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
rayofsunshine
Sixth Man
And1: 460

Post#92 » by rayofsunshine » Mon Sep 7, 2015 6:37 pm

Never. LEARN people if it's in the news, the Lakers aren't making the deal. When have the Lakers ever made a move that was announced first?
FrozenIceCubes
Banned User
And1: 77

Post#93 » by FrozenIceCubes » Mon Sep 7, 2015 7:08 pm

Seems very strange that a broken down Peace hasn't been signed yet especially since gradually the Lakers still want to sign a few more players to training camp.. I hope this means that the Lakers are just gonna have MWP In a coaching role rather then on a player contract.

I also hope the reason he hasn't been signed yet is because there is a better alternative for the SF position.
LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Post#94 » by LApwnd » Tue Sep 8, 2015 4:45 pm

FrozenIceCubes wrote:Seems very strange that a broken down Peace hasn't been signed yet especially since gradually the Lakers still want to sign a few more players to training camp.. I hope this means that the Lakers are just gonna have MWP In a coaching role rather then on a player contract.

I also hope the reason he hasn't been signed yet is because there is a better alternative for the SF position.

waiting to hear back from this guy
Ckay
Head Coach
And1: 8,327

Post#95 » by Ckay » Wed Sep 9, 2015 8:54 pm

Do it
[tweet]https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/641710585722310660[/tweet]
djericho
Rookie
And1: 12

Post#96 » by djericho » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:55 am

I really hope its just to play 10-15 mins and mostly be a mentor to Randle, especially to coach on defense.

After that, please MWP work for the Time Warner channel as an analyst... you could be the Lakers commentary version of Barkley, Shaq and Kenny all rolled into one.
dipstick
Sixth Man
And1: 218

Post#97 » by dipstick » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:19 am

I think this will be a non-guaranteed camp deal and he will have to earn that roster spot, otherwise, the deal would have been done already. I don't see any other team even trying to knock on his door to gather interest so he has no leverage. If he makes the team, I would think that he would only be on as insurance in case Kobe at 3 doesn't work.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,662

Post#98 » by dockingsched » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:35 am

Ckay wrote:Do it
[tweet]https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/641710585722310660[/tweet]

This might be blasphemy but I think woj is just reaching hoping to get lucky. MWP has been working out with the team since before summer league started, he's one of the people that was raving about Randle. After is total lack of scoop on the Lakers draft pick I don't think he has too deep of a source in Lakers land.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#99 » by Slava » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:46 am

Yeah I think that's a reach hoping to be right, if it doesn't work out he could just say they couldn't agree on a deal or something. A lot of former players including people like Baron Davis work out at the Lakers or UCLA facilities during the summer.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
EArl
RealGM
And1: 13,230

Post#100 » by EArl » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:16 am

Metta has indeed been working out with Randle and other players since summer. I wonder if Woj knows something we don't.
Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing, Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before;

Return to Los Angeles Lakers