Clarkson Named to Philippine NT

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

TKainZero
Head Coach
And1: 3,275

Re: Clarkson Named to Philippine NT 

Post#21 » by TKainZero » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:41 am

Cool stuff
Lakers have had a drought the last few years with their guys playing for their countries

Also, with pau, he died as a laker after basketball reasons.
The pau gasol that played for Spain bearer no resemblance to the pau gasol who suited up for the lakers
USA Celtics in full effect. Amazing chemistry building experience right there for the main core of the team

Proceeds to finish 7th and shames the entire nation!
durden_tyler
RealGM
And1: 6,455

Post#22 » by durden_tyler » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:36 am

Update:

Clarkson's father (forgot the name) publicly discouraged Jordan to play for the Philippines NT mentioning in an interview about his son's contract status and that he can't risk it without a long-term deal. He was even quoted that his son WON'T play for the Philippine NT in 2015.

Clarkson is a Filipino-American and his mother is the Filipino so i guess it's no surprise to see the American Dad looking out for his son. :D

After the report, Clarkson stated that he will talk to his father about the situation and said that nothing is final and that he's still open to playing.

We do understand the contract situation, it is a big risk (especially after Paul George and Dante Exum FIBA memories most recently) and we won't fault Clarkson if he can't/won't play.

i do think Clarkson is a good guy-- and very Filipino at heart and really seriously considering the NT stint. If he does it with a risk of no long-term contract... He'd be the next Philippine hero...well, second to Manny Pacquiao. :D (And if he plays, i promise i won't hate the Lakers anymore; not as much. :D)
If there is no basketball in heaven, i am not going.
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,923

Post#23 » by tugs » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:56 am

Well he wants security for his son.

I'm really excited. He'll be playing off ball, similar to his role with Russell.
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#24 » by Spens1 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:35 pm

thats great for him, also guaranteed to start just about and be a star for them

most players on the american team are an afterthought if you aren't one of the big names (Durant, Lebron, Kobe, Davis etc) so Clarkson, even if he had a career season and somehow made it over at least 10 guards, would still be an afterthought

Just wish Irving decided to play for Australia instead :(
Marionettetc
Sixth Man
And1: 969

Post#25 » by Marionettetc » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:57 am

JC's dad apparently explaining why he won't play for the NT.

“As you know in professional sports, timing is of the essence especially when managing a player's career, unfortunately, the timing couldn't be worse as he [Jordan] prepares for rigors of the upcoming 2015-2016 NBA season and heightened performance expectations.”

http://www.philstar.com/sports/2015/08/27/1492876/clarksons-dad-says-son-wont-play-gilas
durden_tyler
RealGM

Post#26 » by durden_tyler » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:41 pm

Marionettetc wrote:JC's dad apparently explaining why he won't play for the NT.

“As you know in professional sports, timing is of the essence especially when managing a player's career, unfortunately, the timing couldn't be worse as he [Jordan] prepares for rigors of the upcoming 2015-2016 NBA season and heightened performance expectations.”

http://www.philstar.com/sports/2015/08/27/1492876/clarksons-dad-says-son-wont-play-gilas

As mentioned, most Filipinos understand where the father is coming from. The knowledgable fans here know this was just a "bonus" if he played.

Personally, it's a good start. He's young, should get that long-term contract and eventually suit up for the national team.
DadoTheRabbet
Sophomore
And1: 32

Post#27 » by DadoTheRabbet » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:48 pm

Marionettetc wrote:JC's dad apparently explaining why he won't play for the NT.

Good. Glad somebody's being sensible about this! Well done, Papa Clarkson.
If more people thought like I do, the world would be a much better place. :nod:
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,923

Post#28 » by tugs » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:20 pm

Clarkson joining the team in the Jones Cup but not playing. Never seen him this animated before. Seems to be enjoying his involvement with the team.

And damn he's relatively tall for this kind of competition. He'll eat his defenders.
durden_tyler
RealGM

Post#29 » by durden_tyler » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:34 pm

tugs wrote:Clarkson joining the team in the Jones Cup but not playing. Never seen him this animated before. Seems to be enjoying his involvement with the team.

And damn he's relatively tall for this kind of competition. He'll eat his defenders.

There were rumors that Clarkson's presence is more for the hype of our NT (it's backed by a commercial sponsor) and that he's just being used and really won't play for us (now or the future).

But after this reaction:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4db-cRYPEs[/youtube]

i have no doubts the Filipino in him is REALLY excited to someday play for the country :D

(Added info: he reacted to the video of our 5-foot-8 point guard crossing over a Taiwanese player and then shooting a lay-up off hand against Taiwan's naturalized American player)
moonpie
General Manager
And1: 2,684

Post#30 » by moonpie » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:05 pm

There are plans for SBP President Manny V. Pangilinan to fly to Los Angeles to meet the Los Angeles Lakers' officials for Jordan Clarkson's possible release.
The FIBA Asia Men's Championship in Changsha, China will run from Sept. 23 to Oct. 3 and will run smack to the Lakers' annual Media Day in Los Angeles on Sept. 30.

http://www.philstar.com/sports/2015/08/27/1492888/clarkson-clarifies-dads-statement-reiterates-desire-play-gilas
Marionettetc
Sixth Man
And1: 969

Post#31 » by Marionettetc » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:55 pm

I still don't get this apparent collective racial pride asians seem to have, but you JC Filipino guys aren't crazy like the LOFs so I'm a big fan of that.
Laker_Kid
Starter
And1: 591

Post#32 » by Laker_Kid » Wed Sep 2, 2015 12:49 am

http://www.mb.com.ph/clarkson-gets-la-ok-but/#CKaWsAjqfIVBghxL.99

JC now allowed to play until September 28 only. According to local news.

not sure if he will play in the jones cup, but he could now play in fiba asia for the first 3 games... all scrub teams though.
dAdo dA dEvil
Sixth Man
And1: 476

Post#33 » by dAdo dA dEvil » Wed Sep 2, 2015 7:08 am

I would like to see JC play for our NT but not for now.

I mean, I find it useless because most of our best players are not even in that national squad. The league MVP of Philippine basketball (June Mar Fajardo) is not even included in the team. Our team right now is composed of old veteran players (Asi Taulava is 42) and rookies from the recent draft. Even Blatche is fat. I have no problem with that but I hope if JC plays for our NT he plays with the best players of this country.

We have shown the whole world last FIBA Basketball Cup 2014 that we have a big heart, but in the end it is not enough to win games. We gotta have the talent too. So unless the best players of Philippine Basketball is playing with JC I say no for now.
Sofa King
RealGM
And1: 3,034

Post#34 » by Sofa King » Thu Sep 3, 2015 5:34 am

[tweet]https://twitter.com/carlo_pamintuan/status/638555326707437569[/tweet]
jeroka
Sophomore
And1: 23

Post#35 » by jeroka » Sat Sep 5, 2015 7:40 am

I hope Clarkson skips this, but if he really needs to, I hope he avoids any injury.
jeroka
Sophomore
And1: 23

Post#36 » by jeroka » Sat Sep 5, 2015 7:43 am

durden_tyler wrote:Update:

Clarkson's father (forgot the name) publicly discouraged Jordan to play for the Philippines NT mentioning in an interview about his son's contract status and that he can't risk it without a long-term deal. He was even quoted that his son WON'T play for the Philippine NT in 2015.

Clarkson is a Filipino-American and his mother is the Filipino so i guess it's no surprise to see the American Dad looking out for his son. :D

After the report, Clarkson stated that he will talk to his father about the situation and said that nothing is final and that he's still open to playing.

We do understand the contract situation, it is a big risk (especially after Paul George and Dante Exum FIBA memories most recently) and we won't fault Clarkson if he can't/won't play.

i do think Clarkson is a good guy-- and very Filipino at heart and really seriously considering the NT stint. If he does it with a risk of no long-term contract... He'd be the next Philippine hero...well, second to Manny Pacquiao. :D (And if he plays, i promise i won't hate the Lakers anymore; not as much. :D)

the father speaks the truth... first off, JC is bound to greatness, means rich deals after his contract is up with the Lakers, I guess, when he lands his big deal, his father will soften his stand against JC competing outside the NBA. as for now, JC needs to stay healthy for the Lakers sake and for his future as well.
durden_tyler
RealGM

Post#37 » by durden_tyler » Mon Sep 7, 2015 2:44 am

Update the last week: after meeting with Lakers officials, SBP (our basketball org) was referred to the Lakers coaching staff for their appeal to extend Clarkson's stint up to the end of the FIBA Asia (i think he'll miss about 3 days of Lakers training camp if allowed).

Deadline for submission of roster is Monday/Tuesday so we need the final word and final go signal from FIBA that Clarkson can play as a local.
Jakay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,928

Post#38 » by Jakay » Mon Sep 7, 2015 4:25 am

mcscotty wrote:Sacre is on the Canadian squad. Pretty sure Rick Fox played for Canada, too. Ronny Turiaf played for France. I think Sasha played international ball, as well.

Yeah, Fox did definitely play on the Canadian team. Those were some pretty awful teams though. It was like "ooh, he's in the NBA, he's our guy", but really he was kind of outmatched in every game. I don't think he played on the NT by the time he got to the Lakers though. Nash made the team much better, but didn't play on it when he was really at his best. These next few years should have some solid line ups though.
Laker_Kid
Starter
And1: 591

Post#39 » by Laker_Kid » Tue Sep 8, 2015 7:51 pm

"The Los Angeles Lakers Management has allowed  Jordan Clarkson  to play  for the Gilas Pilipinas Team as long as it will not conflict with the schedule of the NBA. Unfortunately, under this limitation, Jordan Clarkson can only participate in  the  elimination  phase  of  the  tournament.  This  scheduling  issue  is  distinct only  to  the FIBA Asia Zone, and it does not occur in  the other FIBA zones. By this  token,  we  will  ask  FIBA  Asia  to  consider  holding  the  tournament  in  the same manner as FIBA Americas, Europe, Oceania and Africa do, that is avoiding scheduling conflict with the calendar of the NBA," the SBP statement added. "

http://m.philstar.com/sports/show/5ca900725dac27e096c69834f7e1c87a?t=idff6ckiomhct9l3ajikgbf816

clarkson wasnt listed in our 12man squad. but he is listed as a reserve. only way for him to play now is if the event is moved a week earlier which is highly unlikely. lol.

it's kind of risky. so i dont mind. clarkson can lose his playing time and plus it's his contract year. but in the long run, winning the gold in an international league can add on to his experience. maybe next time i guess.

still think our team can go for gold. clarkson wouldve been cherry on top.
Sofa King
RealGM
And1: 3,034

Post#40 » by Sofa King » Tue Sep 8, 2015 11:48 pm

Jordan Clarkson won't play for Philippines in FIBA Asia Championship

According to a statement released on the Philippine Basketball Assn.'s website, the team "was not able to beat the deadline to secure the necessary clearances on time."

http://touch.latimes.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-84380296/

We did all that we could to have Jordan Clarkson join Gilas for the 2015 FIBA Asia Championship but we are saddened to report that we are not able to beat the deadline to secure the necessary clearances on time.

http://pba.inquirer.net/60434/sbp-names-gilas-pilipinas-final-12-roster-for-2015-fiba-asia-championships

The end.

Lock this up.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers