High End Scrub / Minimum or close contract
No votes
Bench Player / Valuable off the bench
7%
Starter / Bottom 10 starting PG
9%
Solid Starter / Mid-tier
21%
Borderline All-Star / Always underrated (Eg. Conley)
22%
Perennial All-Star / #2 or #3 on a championship team
28%
Superstar / On the Harden/Curry/Durant/Lebron/etc tier
12%

Total votes: 58

iamworthy
RealGM
And1: 8,909

Re: D'Angelo Russell Prediction Thread 

Post#81 » by iamworthy » Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:12 pm

Michael Lucky wrote:
iamworthy wrote:If you listen to the video in the pre camp thread Byron refers to DLo as a pg.

yes Byron seems stuck in this idea of making D"Angelo a true PG. He's not that at all and I wouldn't be at all surprised if he ends up playing the two while Clarkson starts playing the one 20 games in. Just because he can make the wow pass doesn't change the fact that he's a scorer first.

I actually think the wow passes are overshadowing the fact that he just tends to find you if you are open. Clearly he has the talent to play the 1 or 2 But Im currently leaning toward playing him at the 1. To me its the best of both worlds. It will allow him to create for himself or for others. I just think the ball needs to be in his hands.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#82 » by Kilroy » Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:18 pm

Nobody thought Magic would be a starting PG in the NBA either, and the gap for DLo is much narrower... He's just a little too tall and too slow and scores a little too easily... Magic was all those things x2 at least. And he didn't play true 1 much his first couple seasons either.
Not saying Russell is the next Magic, I'm just saying sometimes if you give something a chance to work itself out, the result is transcendent greatness... Give Russell a season to find a role, don't Pigeon-hole him now.

He's got a lot more than just the position he's going to end up playing to figure out.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
RingsDontLie
Veteran
And1: 1,359

Post#83 » by RingsDontLie » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:46 am

Strong point for DLo to me:

1. Craftiest player I have seen in a very long time.
2. Extremely high IQ.
3. Excellent shooter.
4. Excellent passer.
5. Passes the eye test
6. Cold blooded, high confidence.

All these things at only 19.

Those things alone has all star caliber written all over him. I'm not sure about his work ethic, maturity level, moral compass, and other intangibles stand that could be the difference between a OK career, or legendary career. Is he gonna be a dummy and get every girl in LA pregnant or is he going to be focused and immortalized in stone next to Kobe and magic....that I'm not sure of just yet. The guy is only 19. Lots of chances to make big mistakes at that age.
Kalidogg24
Head Coach
And1: 827

Post#84 » by Kalidogg24 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:44 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/gregbeacham/status/648608745266655232[/tweet]
REST IN PARADISE GOAT
#TeamFlightBrothers
FrozenIceCubes
Banned User
And1: 77

Post#85 » by FrozenIceCubes » Thu Oct 1, 2015 6:21 pm

I'm expecting 19-20ish scoring from Russell in his rookie season similar to Lillards.

He's probably the most ready NBA prospect in the draft and despite okafor being able to contribute immediately I think Russell's drive and mindset is on another level.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,693

Post#86 » by rzzzzz » Fri Oct 2, 2015 1:10 am

"He just took off running. He got separation on the first step," Rockets coach Kevin McHale said of Lillard's speed on the last play. "Chandler just never caught up."
Mirjalovic
Head Coach
And1: 1,780

Post#87 » by Mirjalovic » Fri Oct 2, 2015 2:52 pm

RingsDontLie wrote:Strong point for DLo to me:

1. Craftiest player I have seen in a very long time.
2. Extremely high IQ.
3. Excellent shooter.
4. Excellent passer.
5. Passes the eye test
6. Cold blooded, high confidence.

All these things at only 19.

Those things alone has all star caliber written all over him. I'm not sure about his work ethic, maturity level, moral compass, and other intangibles stand that could be the difference between a OK career, or legendary career. Is he gonna be a dummy and get every girl in LA pregnant or is he going to be focused and immortalized in stone next to Kobe and magic....that I'm not sure of just yet. The guy is only 19. Lots of chances to make big mistakes at that age.

For a shooter, he needs to shoot FTs more than 75%

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
shawn_hemp wrote: a guy who is far worse than Robert Covington in Brandon Ingram, and a guy who is no better than TJ McConnell or Tony Wroten in D'Angelo Russell.

Sixers fans...

Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,513

Post#88 » by Michael Lucky » Fri Oct 2, 2015 5:40 pm

FT% in college are generally lower than at the NBA level and even more so their freshmen years. Curry, Durant, Nash, Ray Allen etc..... James Harden also shot 75% both years in college. They tend to be 5-10% lower than what ends up being prime numbers at the FT line sometimes even 10-15%. I figure that's very much a result of age and also the one and done concept if you miss.
Jody Smokz
Starter
And1: 1,388

Post#89 » by Jody Smokz » Fri Oct 2, 2015 7:52 pm

I swear you have the strangest and most unrealistic expectations. How on earth do you expect this kid to avg 20 a game and be a playmaker on a team that has about 4-5 other guys who are going to be aggressive scorers with one them being Kobe Bean? You are going to be one pissed off soul come the regular season

[/quote]
FrozenIceCubes wrote:I'm expecting 19-20ish scoring from Russell in his rookie season similar to Lillards.

He's probably the most ready NBA prospect in the draft and despite okafor being able to contribute immediately I think Russell's drive and mindset is on another level.
El Hardee
Sixth Man
And1: 25

Post#90 » by El Hardee » Sun Oct 4, 2015 10:46 pm

Ceiling - Jason Kidd
Floor - Jason Williams

Likely - Deron Williams
jeroka
Sophomore
And1: 23

Post#91 » by jeroka » Mon Oct 5, 2015 3:19 am

El Hardee wrote:Ceiling - Jason Kidd
Floor - Jason Williams

Likely - Deron Williams

He reminds be of Deron Williams, but some in here thinks it's ignorant and abominable to state that opinion.
sikma42
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,558

D'Angelo Russell Prediction Thread 

Post#92 » by sikma42 » Mon Oct 5, 2015 3:28 am

Doormatt wrote:
tugs wrote:Was mentioned in the General Board but I kind of getting the same sense of a more athletic and lengthier Kendall Marshall.

lol that makes absolutely no sense, kendall marshall couldnt shoot for ****, while russell is known for his shooting. i also dont think kendall had nearly the game sense russell has already shown just in college/summer league, both are good passers but thats where the comparison ends.

Kendall Marshall's ball iq and game sense is far above Russel's. If he could shoot he would be one of the best point guards in the league.

Kendall Marshall was one of the best passers/floor leaders I've seen in college.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,231

Post#93 » by crazyeights » Mon Oct 5, 2015 3:33 am

Prediction time is over.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers