ImageImageImageImageImage

Is Hibberts defense on the same level as Marc and Howard?

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

FrozenIceCubes
Banned User
And1: 77

Is Hibberts defense on the same level as Marc and Howard? 

Post#1 » by FrozenIceCubes » Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:51 am

If the answer is yes... Then why shouldn't the cautious sense be that the Lakers can be a playoff team? Roy has always been at the top conversation in terms of being in the DPOY award honors... his rim protection numbers is probably the best in the NBA if you look through analytics.
Mirjalovic
Head Coach
And1: 1,780

Re: Is Hibberts defense on the same level as Marc and Howard? 

Post#2 » by Mirjalovic » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:58 am

It's not his defense that he lacks, but his motivation and fitness.
shawn_hemp wrote: a guy who is far worse than Robert Covington in Brandon Ingram, and a guy who is no better than TJ McConnell or Tony Wroten in D'Angelo Russell.

Sixers fans...

LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Post#3 » by LApwnd » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:49 am

HELLLS NO!!!!! its the same as Howard as far as paint protection but Marc for his sloth like speed is pretty solid at defending PnR. You guys will see how truly terrible this team will be on D, I want to be oppotmistic but that DPOY candidate Roy is long gone and that was more because Indy was so good as a whole on team D with the George's on the perimiter
LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Post#4 » by LApwnd » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:50 am

FrozenIceCubes wrote:If the answer is yes... Then why shouldn't the cautious sense be that the Lakers can be a playoff team? Roy has always been at the top conversation in terms of being in the DPOY award honors... his rim protection numbers is probably the best in the NBA if you look through analytics.

he was only in a true DPOY conversation ONCE and Marc who won that year deserved it, Marc can actually defend the PnR well enough and still be a paint protector w/o being a high fly act
BEazy
RealGM
And1: 2,483

Post#5 » by BEazy » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:10 am

I don't know, I think Roy is going to surprise a lot of people this season. He just needed to get out of Indy. That team fell apart when PG broke his leg. Roy was the odd man out on that squad and Bird decided to blow it up. Plus even if Roy is not suited for a line up that we play against we always have Tarik Black who is an excellent shot blocker and he has pretty quick feet.

I'm not going to write off anybody on this squad this year. This year just has a different feeling than the last couple of years we've endured.

Long Live The Black Mamba. Kobe Bean Bryant Laker For Life. 8/24
Jody Smokz
Starter
And1: 1,388

Post#6 » by Jody Smokz » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:48 pm

He clogs the paint and defends the post well but he gets mixed routinely in Pick and Roll situations. He's also not the most energetic and stable guy for long minutes. He's also terrible on a team that wants to get in transition often, which is why his minutes have always been low.

FrozenIceCubes wrote:If the answer is yes... Then why shouldn't the cautious sense be that the Lakers can be a playoff team? Roy has always been at the top conversation in terms of being in the DPOY award honors... his rim protection numbers is probably the best in the NBA if you look through analytics.
john248
Starter
And1: 651

Post#7 » by john248 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:53 am

The main thing separating Hibbert from other defensive stiffs is his elite length. If he were just the average 7 footer or less, Hibbert would be a nobody. But being as tall as he is and having long arms helps him more than people give credit to. When he's caught in space, he gets low and is able to funnel perimeter players away using his length. But he was only able to do this effectively because Indy had solid to great defenders at the perimeter who could help him out too. He's not as smart as Marc Gasol is when it comes to playing angles and isn't as vocal on defense as he should be which is why Hibbert isn't an elite defender even if he has elite length. But still though, Hibbert's paint protection is among the best in the league. It'll take a better coach than Scott to fix the defense and another couple seasons of acquiring talent to fix the rest of the defense for it to come together. Having a rookie or 2nd year players at the guard spots with old Kobe at the 3 will looks bad more often than good due to inexperience which will lead to bad closeouts and poor rotations. Still, Hibbert is still a near top tier defender. You give him Conley and Tony Allen, and Hibbert would look better too...not taking anything away from Marc.
The Last Word
FrozenIceCubes
Banned User

Post#8 » by FrozenIceCubes » Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:07 pm

Hibbert has always averaged below rebounding numbers. With him working on his condition all summer long perhaps this is the year he finally breaks through and averages 10+ RPG... I would love to see 15/10 3BPG from him this year.
DrazenPetrovic3
Ballboy
And1: 6

Post#9 » by DrazenPetrovic3 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:41 pm

FrozenIceCubes wrote:Hibbert has always averaged below rebounding numbers. With him working on his condition all summer long perhaps this is the year he finally breaks through and averages 10+ RPG... I would love to see 15/10 3BPG from him this year.

He averaged low rebounding numbers because he would box out his man and let his teammates get the rebound unless Hibbert was in near vicinity of the ball.
ak7
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,383

Post#10 » by ak7 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:08 pm

Mirjalovic wrote:It's not his defense that he lacks, but his motivation and fitness.

He's dropped like 20 lbs this off-season, hasn't he?
One Love
Starter
And1: 290

Post#11 » by One Love » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:43 pm

Don't under estimate a contract year...
Makaveli2
Junior
And1: 56

Post#12 » by Makaveli2 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:48 am

Too bad he. quote="DrazenPetrovic3"]
FrozenIceCubes wrote:Hibbert has always averaged below rebounding numbers. With him working on his condition all summer long perhaps this is the year he finally breaks through and averages 10+ RPG... I would love to see 15/10 3BPG from him this year.

He averaged low rebounding numbers because he would box out his man and let his teammates get the rebound unless Hibbert was in near vicinity of the ball.[/quote]
Makaveli2
Junior
And1: 56

Post#13 » by Makaveli2 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:49 am

Too bad he can't box out then get the rebound like you're suppose to.
DrazenPetrovic3 wrote:

He averaged low rebounding numbers because he would box out his man and let his teammates get the rebound unless Hibbert was in near vicinity of the ball.
[/quote]
DrazenPetrovic3
Ballboy
And1: 6

Post#14 » by DrazenPetrovic3 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:19 am

Makaveli2 wrote:Too bad he can't box out then get the rebound like you're suppose to.
DrazenPetrovic3 wrote:

[/quote]

What's the difference if he doesn't get the rebound if Bass/Randle/Kobe/Russell/Clarkson get the rebound instead of Hibbert? IIRC Hibbert was actually really good rebounder when the ball was in his vicinity, no mather if he had opponent near him or not. Indy was better rebounding team with Hibbert on the floor than with him on the bench. Team rebounds matter more than individual ones.
leeprettyp
Assistant Coach
And1: 680

Post#15 » by leeprettyp » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:17 pm

He's definitely a PRESENCE in that defensive paint.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#16 » by Slava » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:59 pm

john248 wrote:The main thing separating Hibbert from other defensive stiffs is his elite length. If he were just the average 7 footer or less, Hibbert would be a nobody. But being as tall as he is and having long arms helps him more than people give credit to. When he's caught in space, he gets low and is able to funnel perimeter players away using his length. But he was only able to do this effectively because Indy had solid to great defenders at the perimeter who could help him out too. He's not as smart as Marc Gasol is when it comes to playing angles and isn't as vocal on defense as he should be which is why Hibbert isn't an elite defender even if he has elite length. But still though, Hibbert's paint protection is among the best in the league. It'll take a better coach than Scott to fix the defense and another couple seasons of acquiring talent to fix the rest of the defense for it to come together. Having a rookie or 2nd year players at the guard spots with old Kobe at the 3 will looks bad more often than good due to inexperience which will lead to bad closeouts and poor rotations. Still, Hibbert is still a near top tier defender. You give him Conley and Tony Allen, and Hibbert would look better too...not taking anything away from Marc.

He also gets a ton of respect from the refs for his vertical challenges because he doesn't always go for the flashy blocks and instead just makes himself big to deter the guards. That's kind of a big difference between conceding a foul and altering a shot.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
FrozenIceCubes
Banned User

Post#17 » by FrozenIceCubes » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:02 pm

I would love to see Hibbert upping his block rate... I don't think anyone is gonna come inside the paint on a regular basis... he should be around 3-4BPG. when players keep getting blocked inside... It's gonna open up the defensive transition .. I'm expecting a career year from Hibbert.
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,926

Post#18 » by tugs » Thu Oct 1, 2015 5:23 am

Think they're better of playing zone?
Jody Smokz
Starter
And1: 1,388

Post#19 » by Jody Smokz » Thu Oct 1, 2015 8:53 pm

Dude can you try to be more realistic? Ibaka is barely avg 3 a game and he's arguably the best shot blocker in the game. I dont think anybody has avg 4 blks a game since the 90s. Please temper your expectations. Hibbert at his best was nothing more than an above avg player. Guys seriously need to stop getting caught up in the offseason hype to get disappointed later. He isn't going to avg 15/11 and 3 blks a game EVER

FrozenIceCubes wrote:I would love to see Hibbert upping his block rate... I don't think anyone is gonna come inside the paint on a regular basis... he should be around 3-4BPG. when players keep getting blocked inside... It's gonna open up the defensive transition .. I'm expecting a career year from Hibbert.
Beethoven
Head Coach
And1: 3,832

Post#20 » by Beethoven » Fri Oct 2, 2015 12:16 am

I expect some big things from Hibbert this season. Hopefully he will rise up and continue the long tradition of winning centers at this mecca for centers, which stopped when Dwight came here.
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)

Return to Los Angeles Lakers