ImageImageImageImageImage

ESPN Lakers Series Part I: The Kobe Issue

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

Jedi32
Head Coach
And1: 6,282

Re: ESPN Lakers Series Part I: The Kobe Issue 

Post#21 » by Jedi32 » Thu Oct 8, 2015 9:42 pm

ak7 wrote:I think a lot of people are in denial in regards to the negative impact Kobe is having on us being able to attract free agents. A lot of these big name guys are used to being "the man," it's a tough pill to swallow to come here and waste 1-2-3 years of their career in Kobe's father-time induced shadow.

There is no doubt in my mind that there is a superstar out there who is thinking "man if Kobe would just leave, I'd love to go be the face of that franchise."

Think about it - if you're the CEO of some successful company, why would you want to go work for another company in the shadow of another CEO who at this point in his and your career, might not be able to do things as successfully as the way you can. Especially if you would have to turn down millions to make that move.

I think it's quite the opposite. Free agents see the product the Lakers have put on the floor and said no way. Some will say but it's Kobe's fault because of his extension but even if he took less it wouldn't guarantee anything I mean just look at Dallas. Plus guys get the chance to go home and make millions. Fact is we're just in a down period the kind every franchise faces but since kobe is still here it's just easier to blame him.
Marionettetc
Sixth Man
And1: 969

Post#22 » by Marionettetc » Thu Oct 8, 2015 9:54 pm

Kobe being injured got us Randle and Russell.

Beyond that, I'd rather have a living legend play out his last few years with the only team he's ever known rather than have +5-10 wins.
Beethoven
Head Coach
And1: 3,829

Post#23 » by Beethoven » Fri Oct 9, 2015 12:43 am

Wh o cares? , I t is just awesome that Kobe still conjures up this much discussion and impacts the media . Love him .
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
norcocredo
Rookie
And1: 1,437

Post#24 » by norcocredo » Fri Oct 9, 2015 2:28 am

I could care less what people think of Kobe, us Laker fans who have followed the team on a regular basis know the truth. I really just want Kobe to retire. He is 2 years late in my opinion. He does nothing to help this team win and he has nothing left to prove.
Mamba Venom
RealGM
And1: 580

Post#25 » by Mamba Venom » Fri Oct 9, 2015 7:21 pm

Kobe is really rubbing off on randle. It is very important for young players to be exposed to work ethic and dream about becoming a legend like Kobe.
TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,809

Post#26 » by TylersLakers » Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:21 am

I don't really have a problem with the article.

If he accepts a "discounted" contract (under $10M) then it's a no-brainer that you bring him back. Obviously, the most importance is landing a big name first, signing Clarkson, etc.

And I'm not convinced he's NOT going to nurture these guys along. He's been great in the pre-season games so far and as he was sitting out games last year due to "rest," when he played, he usually took a back seat and focused on more of the all around game. I expect to see a lot of the same. Is he going to have some games where he shoots 20+ times? Absolutely. But I don't think it's going to be as high of a number as it has been in most of his years.

He'll be fine.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,445

Post#27 » by Slava » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:42 pm

This is kind of funny, LA Daily News did a similar story on Kobe with anonymous executives and sources and the responses are so much milder than what the ESPN one produced.

Anonymous NBA executive: “The same things that made Kobe great is what will make him not be open to change. That’s what made Kobe one of the top 15 players of all time and one of the best scorers to come into the league. He’s not going to suddenly morph into a guy who will defer to teammates that still have college eligibility.”

Anonymous NBA assistant coach: “It’ll be a feeling out process for the first third of the season. The rookies will have their hiccups.”

Anonymous NBA executive: “If the Lakers can get a couple of guys, he’s going to want to be a part of it. But if they strike out, he could get another monster paycheck because they think he’s worth the price of admission.”

Anonymous NBA assistant coach: “If he gets through the season healthy, it’s not his last year. Kobe will play for one more year. He won’t leave a team just to chase a ring. But I could see him going to New York because of his connections with Carmelo (Anthony), (Derek) Fisher and Phil (Jackson). That would be a fun experience for him and, obviously, New York and Madison Square Garden would go crazy over Kobe being there.”

Anonymous NBA executive: “You’d have to find a unique situation where he would be willing to do a David West deal. I don’t mean money wise. He would have to be so willing to sublimate his game. He could only go someplace where he’s not the guy. But would the team have veterans he respects? Do they have a coach who can control him to a certain degree? Would he buy into his role? Otherwise, he’s just a guy who can help a team sell tickets. Kobe can still play, but what he can’t be is the guy that dominates every possession. I don’t know if he can do it. If he does, he has to be around people he respects.”

Anonymous NBA agent: “Mid-level exception. Look at what’s happening to Paul Pierce. I don’t see a situation where a team would give Kobe $20 million for a one-year deal. A team on the cusp of winning a title won’t give him $20 million. They won’t have the cap room for it. A team with cap room could, but I doubt Kobe alone could put them over the top”

Anonymous NBA executive: “Teams can say all they want that they won’t pay Kobe because of his injuries. But if they have a chance to get Kobe and have enough talent to entice him, teams will give him $10 million easily.”

Mark Medina | LA Daily News

So I guess it depends on how you select your anonymous and the story basically writes itself.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
LakersLegacy
Head Coach
And1: 3,869

Post#28 » by LakersLegacy » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:53 am

I was thinking they made a special magazine issue for Kobe which is what they would do for any other top 10 all time player, but ESPN is making an issue where there is none. The best thing you can do is get great young talent around a star before he retires. Kobe (from afar) and Rip Hamilton learned from Jordan. Randle, Clarkson and Russell get to witness what it takes for greatness.

Young players have to be fans but also have enough pride that they want to implement Kobe's work ethic and become their own star.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers