ImageImageImageImageImage

Re: Russell, Randle, Clarkson

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

WVlakerfan
Junior
And1: 97

Re: Re: Russell, Randle, Clarkson 

Post#1081 » by WVlakerfan » Thu Feb 4, 2016 12:52 pm

Mirjalovic wrote:You guys have no patience. How do you know with the Lakers won't suceed in NBA with Randle at 4 ?

even in his raw version, he already showing too **** much promise and flashes. Strong as ****, can outpower most 4 in the NBA, can draw FT reasonably well when refs respect his game, already has improved shooting (FT/Midrange/3pt) in midseason (!!!!!!!!!!!), rebound the ball at the high clip despite fundamentally flawed (boxing out etc) compared to top rebounder in the L such as Kevin Love, Reggie Evans, he got those rebounds basically rellies on pure instinct and hustle.

you guys just don't understand Randle upside yet. Don't worry, a players like him is rare and that's why so many people misunderstand his desire, skillset, and talent. And he will use this as foundation to getting better and better. It's no coincidence his numbers went up since Rising Star teams announcement.

Its not that i didn't think he has a lot of potential its just that potential only goes as far as his jump shot and defensive rotations can take him. I try not to judge the young guys defensive rotations too much because the general lack of defensive schemes, scott doesn't have anything to do with with his jumpshot. Personally i don't want to ship out anybody under the age of 25 until we get a competent coach that can actually make rotations and substitution patterns that are based on play not time.

randles shot chart though is not good outside the paint.

http://vorped.com/1-nba/2015-2016/player/1772/julius-randle/shotchart/
"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Mark Twain
Mirjalovic
Head Coach
And1: 1,780

Post#1082 » by Mirjalovic » Thu Feb 4, 2016 1:41 pm

WVlakerfan wrote:
Mirjalovic wrote:You guys have no patience. How do you know with the Lakers won't suceed in NBA with Randle at 4 ?

even in his raw version, he already showing too **** much promise and flashes. Strong as ****, can outpower most 4 in the NBA, can draw FT reasonably well when refs respect his game, already has improved shooting (FT/Midrange/3pt) in midseason (!!!!!!!!!!!), rebound the ball at the high clip despite fundamentally flawed (boxing out etc) compared to top rebounder in the L such as Kevin Love, Reggie Evans, he got those rebounds basically rellies on pure instinct and hustle.

you guys just don't understand Randle upside yet. Don't worry, a players like him is rare and that's why so many people misunderstand his desire, skillset, and talent. And he will use this as foundation to getting better and better. It's no coincidence his numbers went up since Rising Star teams announcement.

Its not that i didn't think he has a lot of potential its just that potential only goes as far as his jump shot and defensive rotations can take him. I try not to judge the young guys defensive rotations too much because the general lack of defensive schemes, scott doesn't have anything to do with with his jumpshot. Personally i don't want to ship out anybody under the age of 25 until we get a competent coach that can actually make rotations and substitution patterns that are based on play not time.

randles shot chart though is not good outside the paint.

http://vorped.com/1-nba/2015-2016/player/1772/julius-randle/shotchart/

We already know about his jumpshooting earlier this season, and in the last 6 games it's shown he is capable to hit midrange shoot. Talk about midseason improvement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shawn_hemp wrote: a guy who is far worse than Robert Covington in Brandon Ingram, and a guy who is no better than TJ McConnell or Tony Wroten in D'Angelo Russell.

Sixers fans...

Laker_Kid
Starter
And1: 591

Post#1083 » by Laker_Kid » Thu Feb 4, 2016 2:11 pm

i dunno about you guys but i really like our young guns. just gotta have patience. theyll keep improving and prove everyone wrong, watch.

dlo
jc
mandle
nance
brown

hey, why dont we give that lineup a shot? lol
Goudelock
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,866

Post#1084 » by Goudelock » Thu Feb 4, 2016 2:37 pm

Laker_Kid wrote:i dunno about you guys but i really like our young guns. just gotta have patience. theyll keep improving and prove everyone wrong, watch.

dlo
jc
mandle
nance
brown

hey, why dont we give that lineup a shot? lol

Because our coach is a dumbass?
Devin Booker wrote:Bro.
iamworthy
RealGM
And1: 8,909

Post#1085 » by iamworthy » Thu Feb 4, 2016 4:02 pm

It's pretty funny/amazing how much hate D'angelo Russell gets on realgm. I assume most of its because he's a Laker.
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,231

Post#1086 » by crazyeights » Thu Feb 4, 2016 4:08 pm

If he went to Philly people would be eating up those historic per 36 numbers.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,693

Post#1087 » by rzzzzz » Thu Feb 4, 2016 4:14 pm

crazyeights wrote:If he went to Philly people would be eating up those historic per 36 numbers.

probably. now with two good centers and a better one coming, they would have preferred a good guard prospect.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,662

Post#1088 » by dockingsched » Thu Feb 4, 2016 4:36 pm

People tend to be prisoners of first impressions
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#1089 » by Slava » Thu Feb 4, 2016 4:54 pm

People still rank Mudiay ahead of him, I mean you have to be semi brain-dead to hang onto that rhetoric this far into the season.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
ArC_man
Veteran
And1: 910

Post#1090 » by ArC_man » Thu Feb 4, 2016 5:56 pm

Good article with a lot of stats. It's quite impressive that he's able to finish at such a high percentage close to the basket.

http://butthegameison.com/thebeat/2016/02/03/living-dangerussly/
iamworthy
RealGM
And1: 8,909

Post#1091 » by iamworthy » Thu Feb 4, 2016 6:50 pm

Question, anyone know why kyrie is excluded from the teen per36 16/4/4 stat? When I run the query he shows up with LeBron and D'angelo
ArC_man
Veteran
And1: 910

Post#1092 » by ArC_man » Thu Feb 4, 2016 7:23 pm

No clue, I think the 19 year old 16/4/4 per36 stat is a bit ridiculous anyways.

Edit: On second thought, he must've used a minimum # of games played filter. Kyrie played 51 games that season but it was a lockout shortened season with only 66 games total.
yitur
Sixth Man
And1: 859

Post#1093 » by yitur » Thu Feb 4, 2016 8:08 pm

Here is how people should feel about it. There are two guards, one is 16-5-4 per36 the other is 17-4-3. One is a rookie the other is 2nd year player. Then there is a PF who is basically a rookie averaging 15-13-2. I think these three looks like the offensive power going forward easily. All three can average around 20ppg in the next 3 years easily. We need some defenders around them and a good to great coach to make it work. Lets assume Nance is the versatile C, all we need is a much better version of Anthony Brown(he is the only guy that I don't see the potential) and our starting five is good to go. Hornacek could make this 5 work easily, so can Walton.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1094 » by dockingsched » Thu Feb 4, 2016 8:09 pm

When the writer first posted this stat on Twitter a month or so back his minimum requirements were 16/4.9/4 not 16/4/4, so hes probably incorrectly stating the stat in the article
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 40,957

Post#1095 » by Sedale Threatt » Thu Feb 4, 2016 8:31 pm

Per-36 doesn't mean much with, say, a reserve averaging 18 minutes per game, who would have to maintain his rate of production with double the minutes. That's obviously a huge stretch. When you're dealing with someone averaging 27 minutes, however, you're getting a lot closer to the target and it becomes a little more viable. Doesn't mean Russell would be guaranteed to hit those thresholds if he was getting those minutes. Maybe his stamina lags and his production wanes with more minutes/responsibility.

It does, however, at least give us a better idea about his production and impact, which has unfortunately been limited by our head coach's outdated old-school mentality but is still probably better than most of us realize.

Russell has by no means blown me away; if you look at that list, he's closer to Tyreke Evans than LeBron or some of the other names. That said, at 19 -- a point when I was barely able to get my laundry done -- he already has the foundation of a very effective NBA game with his vision, his feel for the pick and roll and his ability to finish in the paint. (Take this with a boulder of salt, but he's shooting better at the rim as rookie than either Tony Parker or Stephen Curry did.) If he puts in the necessary work and gets his shooting percentages and overall efficiency up, I don't see how he's not going to be a very good NBA player.

Maybe not the superstar we were hoping for at No. 2, but very good nonetheless.

I'm less convinced with Randle, but he's at least had some quality outings lately which is encouraging.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1096 » by dockingsched » Thu Feb 4, 2016 8:41 pm

ArC_man wrote:No clue, I think the 19 year old 16/4/4 per36 stat is a bit ridiculous anyways.

Edit: On second thought, he must've used a minimum # of games played filter. Kyrie played 51 games that season but it was a lockout shortened season with only 66 games total.

That's it, kyrie didn't reach minimum requirements for that season. Minimum games was 56

http://www.basketball-reference.com/about/rate_stat_req.html
yitur
Sixth Man
And1: 859

Post#1097 » by yitur » Thu Feb 4, 2016 10:06 pm

Sedale Threatt wrote:Per-36 doesn't mean much with, say, a reserve averaging 18 minutes per game, who would have to maintain his rate of production with double the minutes. That's obviously a huge stretch. When you're dealing with someone averaging 27 minutes, however, you're getting a lot closer to the target and it becomes a little more viable. Doesn't mean Russell would be guaranteed to hit those thresholds if he was getting those minutes. Maybe his stamina lags and his production wanes with more minutes/responsibility.

It does, however, at least give us a better idea about his production and impact, which has unfortunately been limited by our head coach's outdated old-school mentality but is still probably better than most of us realize.

Russell has by no means blown me away; if you look at that list, he's closer to Tyreke Evans than LeBron or some of the other names. That said, at 19 -- a point when I was barely able to get my laundry done -- he already has the foundation of a very effective NBA game with his vision, his feel for the pick and roll and his ability to finish in the paint. (Take this with a boulder of salt, but he's shooting better at the rim as rookie than either Tony Parker or Stephen Curry did.) If he puts in the necessary work and gets his shooting percentages and overall efficiency up, I don't see how he's not going to be a very good NBA player.

Maybe not the superstar we were hoping for at No. 2, but very good nonetheless.

I'm less convinced with Randle, but he's at least had some quality outings lately which is encouraging.

Actually there are less examples that prove the per36 wrong than right. Especially if the player is already playing more than 24mpg.

Anyway we can't expect the improvements Harden or Curry made(two players he was compared) but I do believe he has the potential, easily, to average 20-5-7 in this league. His FT shooting is pretty weird though. Randle has things that you can't teach like the strength+quickness+motor, he just needs a guide to channel those abilities and improve on the weaknesses. Even if he never reaches elite levels defensively, with his strength and quickness there is no reason for him to be less of a defensive player at 4 then let's say, Harrison Barnes.
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,231

Post#1098 » by crazyeights » Thu Feb 4, 2016 11:14 pm

ArC_man wrote:Good article with a lot of stats. It's quite impressive that he's able to finish at such a high percentage close to the basket.

http://butthegameison.com/thebeat/2016/02/03/living-dangerussly/

See for me, with the eye-test, when I saw how good his touch is around the basket it was game over for me. The kid's a basketball player. Full-stop.

Add in his pick-and-roll passing, his pull-up game, and how quick he can get off a 3 and you're talking a hell of a scorer. Which is why to me even with the Tyreke outlier of that group, he's got so much room left to reach his ceiling, I don't see this being it for him. Not in the least. He just has to remain aggressive, use his length and play hard on D and he's going to be on a very nice trajectory.

If he adds muscle over the summer and gets a post-game going (and gets stronger with his 3's)...watch out.
milesfides
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,449

Post#1099 » by milesfides » Thu Feb 4, 2016 11:46 pm

Beggars being pretty damn choosy here. 15 pts, 7 ast, 5 reb, shooting 39% from three, all in 30 min per game?

Tyreke Evans is a really good player. Multi-skilled player, a triple threat. Multi-position player, PG to SF. Solid defense. Also only 26 years old. Also a reasonable contract.

In a league where shooting is at a premium, talent is Lebron-hairline thin at SG, yes, please give me Tyreke Evans so I can worry about other positions.

Russell will be fine. He'll get better because he already has a good foundation of skills. His assist rate will be much higher once we have a coach that will actually let him run the offense the entire game. Also we're not going to be able to get a better point guard to replace him, via trade or free agency in the next year, so there's not point in complaining about him.

Nothing has changed for me about Clarkson or Randle. They will be productive individual players, they've proven that. The question is, are they helping their teammates, are they helping them win, are they championship building blocks? If not, then we like them, but we also have to be open to moving them.

I'm really happy for Randle though, he was looking like a bull in a steel cage shop. Now, his shot is falling better, so he's improving his value. His game remains unchanged, however.
“OH! Caruso parachutes in! You cannot stop him - you can only hope to contain him!” -Kevin Harlan, LAL-GSW 4/4/19
Goudelock
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,866

Post#1100 » by Goudelock » Thu Feb 4, 2016 11:47 pm

Devin Booker wrote:Bro.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers