ImageImageImageImageImage

Stephen A: LAL still on Durants list because LA led to believe Westbrook coming in 2017

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

milesfides
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,449

Re: Stephen A: LAL still on Durants list because LA led to believe Westbrook coming in 2017 

Post#41 » by milesfides » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:44 am

Even if Stephen A is wrong, you still draft Simmons, fire Scott, and try to field an attractive roster and coaching staff as possible for Durant, then Westbrook, etc.

What's the value of crying about Stephen A as a source, prematurely crossing off Durant, and settling for the likes of Derozan?

It doesn't matter whether Stephen A is right or wrong, as long as Durant is headed toward free agency, you do everything possible to land him. Again, it's probably wrong or incomplete, because Durant doesn't need to base his decision on what LA believes about Westbrook. Durant can just ask him. But, it doesn't matter, because it doesn't affect what we need to do.
“OH! Caruso parachutes in! You cannot stop him - you can only hope to contain him!” -Kevin Harlan, LAL-GSW 4/4/19
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,513

Re: Stephen A: LAL still on Durants list because LA led to believe Westbrook coming in 2017 

Post#42 » by Michael Lucky » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:14 pm

The saddest part of this is that Stephen A is very unlikely to have any source in the Durant camp considering the well known animosity between the two lately. No to mention i hardly see Durant wasting a year of his prime waiting for another player to join him. He'd literally have to take a one year deal to stay in OKC first. It's also very unlikely that the Lakers would have the same cap space next year as they will have this summer.
iamworthy
RealGM
And1: 8,909

Post#43 » by iamworthy » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:25 pm

Michael Lucky wrote:The saddest part of this is that Stephen A is very unlikely to have any source in the Durant camp considering the well known animosity between the two lately. No to mention i hardly see Durant wasting a year of his prime waiting for another player to join him. He'd literally have to take a one year deal to stay in OKC first. It's also very unlikely that the Lakers would have the same cap space next year as they will have this summer.

Actually I think SAS is pretty tight with Durants "crew" and his mother. Thats why he was so pissed off that Durant called him out. I cant recall but I think SAS said something about them all hanging out at the 40/40 club together.
The Skyhook
RealGM
And1: 925

Post#44 » by The Skyhook » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:27 pm

Our best chance at Kevin Durant probably starts with Kevin Ollie. Even if Durant signs with another team, you still have an outstanding young coach who can grow with the core of this team similar to what Boston has with Brad Stevens.
iamworthy
RealGM
And1: 8,909

Post#45 » by iamworthy » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:47 pm

Assuming Durants not planning on signing with Golden State next year is there another team he could go to and win a chip next year? I dont think there is. So its not like he waisted a year here waiting on westbrook because where ever he goes hes not going to win. Im not saying we are going to get him but we have just as good of a chance as WSH or any other team thats not ready made for a chip. Big 3 of Durant, Whiteside, Westbrook, with our young guys still growing?
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#46 » by Kilroy » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:51 pm

milesfides wrote:Even if Stephen A is wrong, you still draft Simmons, fire Scott, and try to field an attractive roster and coaching staff as possible for Durant, then Westbrook, etc.

What's the value of crying about Stephen A as a source, prematurely crossing off Durant, and settling for the likes of Derozan?

It doesn't matter whether Stephen A is right or wrong, as long as Durant is headed toward free agency, you do everything possible to land him. Again, it's probably wrong or incomplete, because Durant doesn't need to base his decision on what LA believes about Westbrook. Durant can just ask him. But, it doesn't matter, because it doesn't affect what we need to do.

I don't think anybody's saying to cross Durant and/or Westbrook off your list... If those guys are willing to listen, you go hard at them no matter what...

But SAS does suck as a 'source' and I don't think a smart organization makes a plan based on the word of a player that they will come to your team a year from now.

Obviously, you hope it happens, and you do everything in your power to make it happen... But you'd do that no matter what anyone said.

The part of the story that doesn't make sense to me is the part that makes it sound like Westbrook and the Lakers are invested in this story in some way. That's the part that I think is BS... Westbrook may have us on his list in 2017 but I think to say he's even a little bit committed to coming here is a reach.
From past experience, Free Agency doesn't work that way.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
miggs
Lead Assistant
And1: 446

Post#48 » by miggs » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:32 pm

for those who weren't able to the audio, here's in a nutshell what sas said

While shooting a commercial in LA during the summer, KD said that if things didn't work out in OKC (meaning winning a title), LA was on his short list. (Trudell confirmed this as well, both when it happened and again on the radio show he said)

Durant also apparently had mentioned something about wanting to look after an Asst GM in OKC, likely Troy Weaver, dude was responsible for drafting Westbrook I guess. (not sure if this means Durant is trying to bring Weaver with him according to SAS?)

SAS said he was really "ticked" by Durant calling him a "liar" rather than saying SAS was simply wrong. Also SAS wanted to clarify that he never threatened Durant in a physical way as he knows KD "would kick by butt" but that if Durant wanted to keep pressing on, SAS had more info, that he always has more info just keeps his lips shut until the timing is right, which Trudell also agreed on.

Durant had called SAS a liar and said that he nor anyone in his circle spoke to SAS, however, SAS says:

1 - KD and SAS were together about 2 months before SAS said the initial KD to LA statement at 40-40 Club in NY
2 - KD's mom was on SAS show
3 - KD's bro talks to SAS any chance he (bro) gets

Sure SAS could be full of crap but those three bits mentioned above are A LOT to refute the notion KD said about neither him nor anyone in his circle talking to SAS. I'm not saying SAS is trustworthy but again the dude has his moments where he's right, no bull on some posters have mentioned before.

Fully agree with Kilroy that if Westbrook has his eyes on LA though, I don't think Durant would have to hear about it from back channels as I'm sure both KD and RW have discussed this idea of leaving OKC if indeed they do love to play with each other so much.

miggs stony thoughts about all this, feel free to ignore at your own demise! :lol:

Spoiler:
Things that get me pondering though are...

1 - the 3 things mentioned about KD's relatives contact with SAs

2 - OKC really tries to scare away from paying the lux tax and it hurt them by losing Harden, no way to change that. I'm sure KD and RW know that with the LAL, that would've NEVER happened unless Harden requested a trade, we're no penny pinchers with that type of talent, at least not historically.

3 - KD's has some great work by agent and pr people as he's no longer being asked at all about his free agency as he travels around

the truth is if KD and RW want to be Lakers it seems pretty clear we could squeeze in two max contracts this year and a max next year so they know they fit contractually and can add a third max player to play with them, Al Horford would be ideal!

Randle/Russell are still raw but players like Clarkson, Nance and Lou are all players who have become consistent role players despite JC and Nance being so young in NBA experience, they counter that with a long college career. By season's end i'm sure the rest of the NBA will see just how far Randle and Russell with surely go and just what their games are and how much they can contribute to a winning team.

I can recall many smarter posters here than myself, that saw Clarkson as an ideal 6th man by the end of last season so i'm sure the same type of intellect will shine a light on the possible future roles of Russell and Randle on a winning roster like can be possibly achieved by adding two max FAs in 2016 and one in 2017.

To me no matter where KD goes, he'll have a very hard time beating that GSW team, it will take surely 2-3 seasons to create a truly title contending team, which I'm not convinced OKC truly is nor can be in the next 2-3 seasons. They're a great team for sure, but above GSW now or in the next 2-3 seasons, not likely and that's all that matters, can you beat the best team to finally get your first title? For this reason I think we have a good shot. Durant and Westbrook know we're no penny pinchers, we're accumulating a really good collection of young talent and may add one more, plus we have the deep pockets to keep paying lux taxes for a winning roster. i also think our young core will and is developing into a real nice supporting cast for 2-3 potential star players.

Westbrook - Clarkson
Russell - Lou - (Ingram?)
Durant - Young - Brown
Randle - Nance
Horford - Black - (Simmons?)

my hope is we win the Draft Lottery because that potential roster above is a damn tough one to beat I think. We can groom Simmons to be the future starting center for our future version of this roster, as Horford, Durant, Westbrook and even Lou age into their mid-30s
2014: Randle / Clarkson
2015: Russell / Nance
2016: Ingram / Zubac
2017: Top 3 Pick? :nod: Fultz, Ball or Bust
Sofa King
RealGM
And1: 3,034

Post#49 » by Sofa King » Mon Feb 1, 2016 1:37 am

miggs wrote:my hope is we win the Draft Lottery because that potential roster above is a damn tough one to beat I think. We can groom Simmons to be the future starting center for our future version of this roster, as Horford, Durant, Westbrook and even Lou age into their mid-30s

Simmons at Center?
RingsDontLie
Veteran
And1: 1,359

Post#50 » by RingsDontLie » Mon Feb 1, 2016 9:31 am

I think Lakers need to focus on getting all star level talent rather than big names or bust. This is why I am for getting Derozoan. I don't want to see the Lakers waiting on Durant...then hodgepodge a team at the last second if that doesn't go through. If we keep going that route then we end up like Philly. We need to simply get competitive, and that means getting young established all stars with the cap room that we have...not trying to get the home run with Durant, Lebron, etc. Sure we try to get those guys, but we don't put all our eggs in one basket. If we can't get a comittment from the top guys right away, then we move on. We can't allow our franchise to be on hold because KD is going to visit New York, then Washington, then blah blah.
Laker_Kid
Starter
And1: 591

Post#51 » by Laker_Kid » Mon Feb 1, 2016 10:24 am

this team is really starving for a star - i hope its Durant.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,772

Post#52 » by Johnny Bball » Mon Feb 1, 2016 12:14 pm

Steven a smith is not a source. He's full of it. and this shouldn't even be taken seriously, and neither should he.
ak7
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,383

Post#53 » by ak7 » Mon Feb 1, 2016 4:14 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:Steven a smith is not a source. He's full of it. and this shouldn't even be taken seriously, and neither should he.

Don't front, you're just mad it isn't a rumor linking Durant to Toronto.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,772

Post#54 » by Johnny Bball » Mon Feb 1, 2016 4:33 pm

ak7 wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:Steven a smith is not a source. He's full of it. and this shouldn't even be taken seriously, and neither should he.

Don't front, you're just mad it isn't a rumor linking Durant to Toronto.

Toronto doesn't have the cap space to sign Durant. That disappeared with Demarre Carroll. I just saw the words "Stephen A Smith" and lost it.

Btw, Raptors need Ibaka, not KD :)
Jody Smokz
Starter
And1: 1,388

Post#55 » by Jody Smokz » Mon Feb 1, 2016 6:01 pm

SAS said it or did KD say it? I think you're going way off the deep end if you're buying into anything that man says as truth. Anybody on the internet can put this story together. It's just he/she say bs.

iamworthy wrote:
Michael Lucky wrote:The saddest part of this is that Stephen A is very unlikely to have any source in the Durant camp considering the well known animosity between the two lately. No to mention i hardly see Durant wasting a year of his prime waiting for another player to join him. He'd literally have to take a one year deal to stay in OKC first. It's also very unlikely that the Lakers would have the same cap space next year as they will have this summer.

Actually I think SAS is pretty tight with Durants "crew" and his mother. Thats why he was so pissed off that Durant called him out. I cant recall but I think SAS said something about them all hanging out at the 40/40 club together.
NBAWestFan
Bench Warmer
And1: 122

Post#56 » by NBAWestFan » Mon Feb 1, 2016 8:47 pm

It is a long shot

But KD and WB are going to want to finish their careers in LAL or OKC?
OKC is freezing. LA cold now but good weather overall

WB I believe would want to go to LAL to finish his Career. That would make going to UCLA
games easy. Big stars at the games.

I think alot of if depends on those Lotto balls.

If LAL keep the pick and get Ben Simmons then I could see KD coming.

If it is Ingram, not so sure.

No Kobe, lots of space in a big market for KD and WB where the Thunder
seem to lack the vision to sign a 3rd super star to carry the load.

KD to GSW. Will have to take a cut I believe.

KD to LAL max out.
NYKnicksTAPE
RealGM
And1: 13,426

Post#57 » by NYKnicksTAPE » Tue Feb 2, 2016 2:12 am

I could see something like this happening

KD goes to LA in the offseason. Y'all sign another max level player in order to form a big 2. With KD leaving, OKC will know that there's no way that Westbrook will stay...why would he? OKC isn't going to let Westbrook leave for nothing, so they trade him to y'all during the season for a package headlined by D'angelo Russell and either Julius Randle or whoever the Lakers take with their lottery pick this season. Y'all now have a big 3 and become the 2nd best team in the West next season...maybe 2nd best in the entire NBA. Y'all can then continue to shape up your team with the cap jump.

Does this sound realistic at all?
Princeinrevolt
Rookie
And1: 529

Re: Stephen A: LAL still on Durants list because LA led to believe Westbrook comi... 

Post#58 » by Princeinrevolt » Tue Feb 2, 2016 2:21 am

NYKnicksTAPE wrote:I could see something like this happening

KD goes to LA in the offseason. Y'all sign another max level player in order to form a big 2. With KD leaving, OKC will know that there's no way that Westbrook will stay...why would he? OKC isn't going to let Westbrook leave for nothing, so they trade him to y'all during the season for a package headlined by D'angelo Russell and either Julius Randle or whoever the Lakers take with their lottery pick this season. Y'all now have a big 3 and become the 2nd best team in the West next season...maybe 2nd best in the entire NBA. Y'all can then continue to shape up your team with the cap jump.

why would we trade russell, randle, or our pick this year, when we could get westbrook in free agency, if that happens which is very unlikey but my dream this year is to sign durant and whiteside, and westbrook the next year!!! but one can only dream

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
gts1
Starter
And1: 1,232

Post#59 » by gts1 » Tue Feb 2, 2016 2:40 am

You call into ESPN radio this afternoon? lol caller called in with the exact same proposal with the exact same reasoning

Princeinrevolt wrote:
why would we trade russell, randle, or our pick this year, when we could get westbrook in free agency, if that happens which is very unlikey but my dream this year is to sign durant and whiteside, and westbrook the next year!!! but one can only dream

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
If it got to that point that Westbrook were on the block next season before the deadline and IF Durant was already a Laker I could see Russell being on the block, or Clarkson.. not Randle but With Durant and possibly Westbrook, Russell and Clarkson become luxuries and if one or both of them in a package is what brings Westbrook to LA you can bet they're gone.. Lakers wouldn't take the chance that Westbrook would still be around in the offseason if he's getting shopped..

That being said I'm still one of the ones who can't figure out for the life of me why Durant would want to be a Laker next year with so many teams to choose from next summer... most of them having much better chances at a serious playoff run than he'd have in LA. In the end I think he'll be on the OKC roster at the start of next year with a big fat multi year max contract in his pocket
Wife: "you haven't heard a single thing I said"
Me: that's a funny way to start a conversation...
NYKnicksTAPE
RealGM
And1: 13,426

Post#60 » by NYKnicksTAPE » Tue Feb 2, 2016 2:54 am

gts1 wrote:

You call into ESPN radio this afternoon? lol caller called in with the exact same proposal with the exact same reasoning

Nah, I guess it's just a pretty common idea lol. I obviously want KD to come to NY, but if he leaves OKC and doesn't go there, then I'd love to see him in LA. I want both of our franchises to be at the top of the NBA...I feel like the league is just better that way

Return to Los Angeles Lakers