ImageImageImageImageImage

Yet another Emergancy GT: Lakers VS Suns

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

warrenpeace
Junior
And1: 75

Re: Yet another Emergancy GT: Lakers VS Suns 

Post#161 » by warrenpeace » Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:06 am

lake_show wrote:You can't claim "winning culture" knowing that when Lou Williams was sucking hard at the beginning of the season not only was he NOT benched, his minuetes were extended. Sure he's been playing great right now but he's been given the freedom to make A TON of mistakes and the minutes/playing time to work those mistakes out.

It's hypocritical to extend Lou's minuetes when he was playing horribly, and not even consider doing the same with JC and Russ. All of a sudden "everyone has to play". No, no they don't. They didnt when Kobe and Lou were jacking up shots and both shooting 28-30% from the field, and they don't now.

This is exactly why Byron is the wrong coach for us... Because right now we're playing for the future. The young kids are the future regardless of how they're playing on any given night, and Byron has shown that he's absolutely unwilling to get on-board with that.

I don't see why Lou is even playing. When he was out with injury, I thought that it was the perfect opportunity to shut him do for the remainder of the season
Crooked-I
General Manager
And1: 2,686

Post#162 » by Crooked-I » Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:18 am

warrenpeace wrote:
ROballer wrote:NOTHING and I'm bolding this....NOTHING helps a player's development more than playing game minutes in this league

Wrong! Most player development is done away from the game and during the off season. Randel is not going to develop and outside shot or his right hand playing heavy minutes. You go to big man camp. You go to Hakeem Olajuwon. You work with "big game" James. You need to develop jump shot, you make 1000 jump shot a day. you need to improve your freethrow shooting, you make 1000 freethrows a day. Tracy Murray even said that you can't even develop an outside shot during the season, because if you shots 1000 shots a day during the season, it would negatively affect your shot during games, because your are arm would be too fatigued.

So yes most player development is done away from the game and during the off season. We have seen players who never get any minutes, but when someone gets injured of trade, they finally get minutes and they shine. Why? Because even though they weren't getting any minutes they were working on their game away from the games.

Sorry, but you couldn't be more wrong. There's a lot more to the game of basketball than making a jump shot or making layups with your off hand. There's some things you can only learn in the game. Especially when trying to adjust from college to the NBA. You know like adjusting to pace, making offensive and defense reads, going against a locked in defense during crunch time, etc. I could go on and on. The young guys got to learn the game of basketball by being in there and getting experience.

Not sure if you've ever played ball before, but you can shoot 1000 jump shots a day for years and suck balls when you start playing 5s. There's a reason for that. There's just no substitute for being in the game.
LAKER FAN FOR LIFE

RIP Kobe and Gigi
warrenpeace
Junior

Post#163 » by warrenpeace » Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:29 am

Crooked-I wrote:
Sorry, but you couldn't be more wrong. There's a lot more to the game of basketball than making a jump shot or making layups with your off hand. There's some things you can only learn in the game. Especially when trying to adjust from college to the NBA. You know like adjusting to pace, making offensive and defense reads, going against a locked in defense during crunch time, etc. I could go on and on. The young guys got to learn the game of basketball by being in there and getting experience.

Not sure if you've ever played ball before, but you can shoot 1000 jump shots a day for years and suck balls when you start playing 5s. There's a reason for that. There's just no substitute for being in the game.

Obviously you need both, but our big 3 are averaging around 30 minutes a game. That plenty of minute for player development.
Crooked-I
General Manager

Post#164 » by Crooked-I » Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:57 am

warrenpeace wrote:
Crooked-I wrote:

Obviously you need both, but our big 3 are averaging around 30 minutes a game. That plenty of minute for player development.

You just said player development is in the off season, now your saying you need both. Since one of those isn't an option right now because were not in the off season, shouldn't they get more minutes in game because that's the option that's available? I hope i dumbed it down enough for you.

And there's no such thing of plenty of a good thing especially when there's nothing negative that comes with it.
LAKER FAN FOR LIFE

RIP Kobe and Gigi
warrenpeace
Junior

Post#165 » by warrenpeace » Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:07 pm

Crooked-I wrote:
You just said player development is in the off season, now your saying you need both. Since one of those isn't an option right now because were not in the off season, shouldn't they get more minutes in game because that's the option that's available? I hope i dumbed it down enough for you.

And there's no such thing of plenty of a good thing especially when there's nothing negative that comes with it.
Well let me dumb it down enough for you: They are averaging around 30 minutes or more per game, that is plenty for their development. You're not going to be a great ball handlers because you are playing more minutes, you're not going shoot like Steph Curry because you are playing more minutes, you're not going to develop post moves or footwork because you are playing more minutes, you're not going to develop your right hand because you are playing more minutes. You have to put in the work away from the games and in the off season.
Crooked-I
General Manager

Post#166 » by Crooked-I » Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:25 pm

warrenpeace wrote:
Crooked-I wrote:

Well let me dumb it down enough for you: They are averaging around 30 minutes or more per game, that is plenty for their development. You're not going to be a great ball handlers because you are playing more minutes, you're not going shoot like Steph Curry because you are playing more minutes, you're not going to develop post moves or footwork because you are playing more minutes, you're not going to develop your right hand because you are playing more minutes. You have to put in the work away from the games and in the off season.

lmao who is saying players are going to shoot like Steph Curry from playing more minutes. And you just turned this argument into a big circle by restating the same thing you said from the beginning. Im done, you're a lost cause :wave:
LAKER FAN FOR LIFE

RIP Kobe and Gigi
Edrees
RealGM
And1: 11,155

Post#167 » by Edrees » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:18 am

Okay, so can players develop playing 2 minutes a game? Obviously there is a line somewhere. How do you determine where that line is?

To me the line is when you pull players out of games even when they are playing well. Fine pull them if they did a rookie move. But I'm seeing them being pulled and minutes limited for zero reason over players that are worse. I don't se how that's player development.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers