Phil and Spero

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

indilakeshow
Pro Prospect
And1: 128

Re: Phil and Spero 

Post#21 » by indilakeshow » Thu Apr 7, 2016 6:55 am

gts1 wrote:
Kilroy wrote:I'm not crazy about some of the decisions made since our last championship, but if you think about it, it's only been 6 years, and the championships since then have mostly been devided between LeBron and Duncan... And outside of LeBron and the Spurs Org, there's a pretty steep drop off in talent throughout the league...
Kobe being in steep decline and with there being no legit title contending talent available since then, along with the CBA changes, and I honestly struggle to come up with a combination of events or an orchestrator of those events, that would have left us in too much better of a situation...

Blame the Buss family if it makes you feel better, but I think it would be naive to think that simply swapping Jim Buss for another Pres of BBall Ops is going to result in an instant turnaround... In fact, I'd say the best bet we have to contend has to do with our most recent draft picks, which you'd have to give some credit to the Buss family for. And if any of those guys bust, it won't matter too much who's captain of the ship, it's still not going to be a victory cruise.

there was a price to be paid for winning 5 championships and another two trips to the finals.... The CBA is a main reason climbing out of this hole has taken longer but there were/are other factors too.

In general sooner or later you can't be that successful over that many years without having to pay up sooner or later. They just kept winning and accumulating role playing talent while rebuilding on the fly year after year and that Purple and Gold train kept running down the tracks...The Pau trade really pissed folks off and then CP3...

Honestly I think the CP3 trade goes through and we have a whole other view of the FO but that wasn't going to happen, it was flat out brilliant but the new CBA was designed to stop the Lakers and their ilk, the league wasn't going to allow the Lakers to shoot the new CBA between the eyes that easily

They made that brilliant move, it got rescinded by the league and since then they've been climbing out from behind that 8 ball but they did try... the Nash move up front was more than solid but lady luck threw a wicked curve ball that Nash was never physically able to come back from but that's not the FO fault, freak injury that ended his career for the most part, then Kobe's achilles.. Howard and his whole thing is the only one I had a problem with but it was a rental and you never know, I'd hope a change of scenery would be good for him but as we all know know with Howard scenery has nothing to do with it...

It really was an accumulation of things, much of it out the FO's hands some of it from decisions that looked good up front but hindsight tells us differently others just bad decisions.. Dr Buss had more than his share of those in his time

As for Spero that ship sailed long ago, he had much bigger plans in life than being the Lakers play by play man.. he's got that big fat CBS contract in his pocket doing the NFL which is something he had always had his sights set on, he never wanted to be a one sport one team announcer.. great talent, really will be considered one of the best when his days are done

I have my doubts on this... Reina has a great article about Kobe "the GM" talking about how Kobe always wanted to play with a talented pg but had his greatest success next to Fisher, who isn't a traditional point guard. With Nash, they only worked after Kobe took the ball out of his hands. The trade wasn't a disaster, but I doubt it puts the Lakers in championship contention either.
GreenWithEnvy wrote:
Lakers have absolutely nothing besides Kobe and Lamar to get Andre Miller...give it up Laker fans.
DNP-Old
Senior
And1: 331

Post#22 » by DNP-Old » Thu Apr 7, 2016 1:48 pm

DTouch wrote:
gts1 wrote:
DTouch wrote:I think its time to move on from mitch too.....his approach to fa is still old school way of thinking. Its big star or bust, which is fine but he doesn't seem to consider basketball side approach....i.e Alridge fa pitch was mainly based on outside opportunities thus the embarrassing report that they had to beg for a 2nd presentation. I bet they threw same pitch st Howard
Because that's all they had to sell at that moment, Aldridge isn't an idiot and I'll bet his agent is pretty sharp too.. You can't sell a guy on something you don't have to offer so you sell what you can.. with the improvement from the kids this season, cap space they have to work with and a possible top draft pick this summer any sales pitch this summer will be night and day different than last season

as for Jackson hands down agree with Kilroy's sentiments... He was great for the first run but his behind the scenes political games eroded the franchise not unlike they did in Chicago. As a GM or President he has done nothing in NY that makes you say OK we can put up with the BS because the end result will be worth it. For gods sake there's rumors he's thinking of installing Rambis in a permanent head coach. Was Jackson blind to his Minnesota coaching run or does having a crony in there trump having somebody in there who knows what he's doing... Look at his coaching hires so far, he made a run at Kerr ex-player, then hired Fisher who had never coached and now Rambis as interim with a possibility of taking the interim tag off, Jackson is looking at hiring yes men not the best men

Pitching outside factors is all they been doing. A blind man can see that today's player can get lucrative ventures playing anywhere and wasnt just outside opportunities, according to reports mgmt didn't know how to answer Aldridge questions about basketball related issues such as how they could play him, x's and o type questions

I'm not so sure. Other than playing for the Lakers, how do you explain nation ads for Russell and Randle?
"Be quick, don't hurry" -John Wooden-

"No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth" -Plato-
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 43,883

Post#23 » by DaGawd » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:05 am

Just reading this thread...op you know Spero no longer works for the Knicks right?
BaF
Washington Wizards
TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,810

Post#24 » by TylersLakers » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:21 am

Keep Phil away. As much as I love and appreciate everything he's done, we have to move on. Promote Mitch to full time head of basketball operations and remove Buss from the picture. Problem fixed.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers