Other
No votes

Total votes: 80

ak7
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,383

Re: Lakers coaching search 2016 

Post#161 » by ak7 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:18 pm

ALL HAIL wrote:I despise "isms", but on RealGM, "agism" is alive and running rampant.

Some of y'all need to respect your elders. As crazy said, you can pump up the youthful exuberance of a young coach without besmudging veteran coaches by implying they are somehow handicapped by their ages.

That, my friend, is as ignorant as judging a Blackman by his hoodie, drafting policies to agitate homosexuals, or assuming a talented young person can't do a particular job because he lacks experience.

There is a much more diplomatic manner in which to make your point.

Unfortunately, it's kind of cool these days to bash the "old-school" in basketball. It's too bad, actually ... and just plain ig'nant.

Oh.

How did I miss this?

It appears the Lakers felt a young coach would better connect with this franchise as well.

There are reasons that this old, crusty, "eurolegend" has yet to land a head coaching job in the NBA. Do I know them? Nope - but it's quite clear he has flaws. Sure, he's likely a beautiful basketball mind - I'll never argue against that, but he was simply a second tier option given where this franchise needs to go and the players that are currently the future of the organization. Slow down on the butthurt, there's just not many 60 year old dudes getting hired in the NBA anymore.

Didn't Messina fail horribly at one of his most recent Euroleague stops as well?
politm
Pro Prospect
And1: 366

Re: Lakers coaching search 2016 

Post#162 » by politm » Wed May 4, 2016 6:34 pm

ak7 wrote:Didn't Messina fail horribly at one of his most recent Euroleague stops as well?

Pretty harsh to put that on him when you/we don't know the circumstances, or what exactly happened there. Maybe someone that follows Euroleague could tell us more. There are a lot of examples when a coach failed with a team, but did an excellent job with another team.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers