Emplay with Jim Buss

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

gts1
Starter
And1: 1,232

Re: Emplay with Jim Buss 

Post#21 » by gts1 » Thu May 5, 2016 2:35 am

ak7 wrote:
gts1 wrote:eh shoot stuck this in the wrong thread, meant for it to be here...

Mods can delete the other one in the cowherd says lakers will trade pick thread

[tweet]https://twitter.com/FisolaNYDN/status/727977216064229377[/tweet]

What a dumb tweet by this fail New York fat boy.

Buss clearly means that he is not going to continue adding more youth to the roster who need SEASONS to grow into their potential. I mean, a half-witted Celtics fan can even decipher this.

pretty sure you're missing the joke there... that's exactly what Isola is saying
Wife: "you haven't heard a single thing I said"
Me: that's a funny way to start a conversation...
TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,809

Post#22 » by TylersLakers » Thu May 5, 2016 4:08 am

Sure sounds like if we get the pick, we're trading it.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,540

Post#23 » by stan francisco » Thu May 5, 2016 1:02 pm

Lou might be smoke screen to inflate his trade value. He's also potentially someone that Luke will make much better use of. No more BS system could mean Lou's scoring could be a good piece. I know he doesn't play defense, and I just hope Luke is as disgusted by his D as I am.
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#24 » by Kilroy » Thu May 5, 2016 1:37 pm

They haven't gotten the pick, and they haven't done any workouts or anything yet... Take what's said now with a certain grain of salt...
I think Buss's comments might be predicated on getting the 3rd pick for one, and then if we do keep the pick, I'm sure they'll do their due-diligence and bring in the top guys for workouts, and who knows what happens from there...

That said, I do agree that we don't need to get younger right now. And I'm sure any top free agents we target are going to want the team to focus on the near term and not the long view...

Also, if we're targeting a top free agent at a certain position, we don't want to draft a top 3 pick at the same position... So if Durant, you probably don't want Simmons or Ingram.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
MAMBAEMD
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,622

Post#25 » by MAMBAEMD » Thu May 5, 2016 5:30 pm

I can understand what Buss is trying to say, but I think the organization needs to accumulate as much talent as it can AND go after free agents.
So I think that even if we do go after Durant, we still get the best talent available at the draft even though it may be in the same position.
It is perfectly fine to have Durant and Simmons or Ingram on the team.
In fact, if you look at GSW and their model for success, that's what they did.
Formerly lakerRD
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 5,388

Post#26 » by Danny Darko » Thu May 5, 2016 6:33 pm

Bus is also giving him an excuse in case we get #4 or lower in the draft.

"yeah... we totally didn't want another rookie to baby sit anyway"

while i also see the logic in trading it, it's still possible he means to keep it.
WVlakerfan
Junior
And1: 97

Post#27 » by WVlakerfan » Thu May 5, 2016 8:46 pm

Can somebody help me out I've heard several different things over the past week about Jims deadline. I have heard it is up aftet this year but I've also heard that he said 3-4 years which would mean after the following.
"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Mark Twain
gts1
Starter

Post#28 » by gts1 » Thu May 5, 2016 9:44 pm

WVlakerfan wrote:Can somebody help me out I've heard several different things over the past week about Jims deadline. I have heard it is up aftet this year but I've also heard that he said 3-4 years which would mean after the following.

The original quote by Jim Buss after the family meeting was "3 to 4 years"

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/la-sp-lakers-buss-family-20140420-story.html

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#29 » by Spens1 » Thu May 5, 2016 11:39 pm

miggs wrote:Jim believes there's 5 core plyrs, Russell, Clarkson, Randle, Nance and Lou

Also likes Bass and Black, whom he thinks can become a rotational plyr

Lou as a core? ok

glad he likes Black though, he is a good player
SlimShady83
General Manager
And1: 1,165

Post#30 » by SlimShady83 » Fri May 6, 2016 4:07 am

I told you guys my boy Lou will be around for another 2-4 years. But I can also see a trade in the mix for the right player
Bring back Defense
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,653

Post#31 » by dockingsched » Sat May 7, 2016 3:50 am

“It seemed like he had an incredible handle on relationships with players – how to build them, how to build trust and culture,” Buss continued.

how to build up players, trust, culture. IMO Jim nails it as to why Luke was such a great choice and why Byron was so terrible.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
iamworthy
RealGM
And1: 8,909

Post#32 » by iamworthy » Sat May 7, 2016 3:58 am

dockingsched wrote:

“It seemed like he had an incredible handle on relationships with players – how to build them, how to build trust and culture,” Buss continued.

how to build up players, trust, culture. IMO Jim nails it as to why Luke was such a great choice and why Byron was so terrible.

I felt better about Jim interview then kupchak's.
Indy2LA
Junior
And1: 271

Post#33 » by Indy2LA » Sat May 7, 2016 6:54 am

“Right now, I think our young guys are the perfect number and we will add solid veterans,” said Buss.

“That’s bottom,” said Buss off the team’s most recent campaign. “Seventeen is the low, that’s for sure.”

Jim Buss constructs a sentence as well as he constructs a basketball team.

He talks and dresses like the 55 year old burnouts that I always see riding skateboards around Huntington Beach :lol:
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,231

Post#34 » by crazyeights » Sat May 7, 2016 4:32 pm

iamworthy wrote:
dockingsched wrote:

I felt better about Jim interview then kupchak's.

That's just Mitch, though. He doesn't tip his hand, so he's a really dry interview. Rooting for them to have a big off-season. The Luke hire feels like the first immediately impactful move in a while.
gts1
Starter

Post#35 » by gts1 » Mon May 9, 2016 12:15 am

Indy2LA wrote:“Right now, I think our young guys are the perfect number and we will add solid veterans,” said Buss.

“That’s bottom,” said Buss off the team’s most recent campaign. “Seventeen is the low, that’s for sure.”

Jim Buss constructs a sentence as well as he constructs a basketball team.

He talks and dresses like the 55 year old burnouts that I always see riding skateboards around Huntington Beach :lol:

Gets it from his dad who's wardrobe stopped updating during the disco era... Difference is Jimmy hides his hair (or lack of) with a hat and not a wig

Return to Los Angeles Lakers