Other
16%

Total votes: 189

rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,691

Re: Lakers 2016 NBA draft #2 pick discussion 

Post#321 » by rzzzzz » Sun May 22, 2016 7:10 pm

everybody knows how the first 2 picks are going down. congratulations to both teams. Bill Simmons wants Okafor for Boston's 3rd. probably Danny Ainge wants the same. probably winds up with Bender.
AcecardZ
Lead Assistant
And1: 541

Post#322 » by AcecardZ » Sun May 22, 2016 7:50 pm

I'm not that familiar with Bender's game but if he's anywhere near as good as Porzyngis I'd rather have him than Okafor. Give me a playmaking big who can shoot and doesn't have maturity issues over Okafor any day.
Sometimes being wrong is awesome!!! :D
NBA Moses
Pro Prospect
And1: 373

Post#323 » by NBA Moses » Sun May 22, 2016 8:07 pm

Karmaloop wrote:
No, just no. Honestly, at this point I think the whole DMC-to-Los Angeles train has left the station unless they're willing to take a Clarkson/Randle package which they shouldn't, nor would they.

Any team would be better off with Okafor over Cousins.When you throw salaries into the equation it becomes that much more obvious.

Okafor will have a better nba career than Brandon Ingram . As a Sixer fan I would consider a trade of #2 pick for Okafor based on the Sixers absolute glut of Bigs.

Many outsiders underestimate Jahlil Okafors future. The kid is super skilled and as he matures and better conditions himself is going to become one of the NBA great players. In 5 years you will be saying what happened to Karl Towns and Okafor will be in the middle of an 8 year span where he is averaging 28 points a game .
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,808

Post#324 » by TyCobb » Sun May 22, 2016 8:09 pm

:laugh:

Lets talk when Okafor gets interested in defensive rebounding.
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
NBA Moses
Pro Prospect

Post#325 » by NBA Moses » Sun May 22, 2016 8:12 pm

TyCobb wrote::laugh:

We'll see who is laughing 3-4 years from now.

Okafor is Future Beast.
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#326 » by TyCobb » Sun May 22, 2016 8:15 pm

NBA Moses wrote:

Okafor is Future Beast.

Ay, I had Okafor #1 on my board (Even though I said Towns best two way -player), because I think his offense can be that good and efficient as a main option, but if we're laughing 3-4 years from now about Okafor it's because he got the hell away from Philly.
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,231

Post#327 » by crazyeights » Sun May 22, 2016 8:22 pm

Wouldn't the Sixers rather build around Simmons than Okafor?

Offensively, they seems a little redundant in terms of a big who you can run the offense through, except Simmons seems more like a PG in terms of facilitating from the outside.

That gets into discussions of taste/style of offense, but as I've said in previous threads, it seems like the defensive rules favoring guards so much, a ball-handler currently has much greater value than a traditional post-up big, even if that big has the offensive anchor potential Okafor ha(d)/(s).
Karmaloop
General Manager
And1: 1,478

Post#328 » by Karmaloop » Sun May 22, 2016 8:35 pm

NBA Moses wrote:Any team would be better off with Okafor over Cousins.When you throw salaries into the equation it becomes that much more obvious.

You're joking, right? Based purely on talent, DMC >>> Okafor and there's not really even room to debate it. 28/12/4 >>> 21/8/2 based on pure 36 numbers show that DMC is clearly the better player. And that's not even including the fact that Okafor is a mediocre defender at best, purely on talent Jahlil Okafor isn't in the same stratosphere as Cousins. If you want to include contracts and DMC's a nutcase into the discussion, then your argument gets closer but DMC is still easy the better player. And I have no idea how you can argue otherwise.

NBA Moses wrote:Okafor will have a better nba career than Brandon Ingram . As a Sixer fan I would consider a trade of #2 pick for Okafor based on the Sixers absolute glut of Bigs.

Congratulations. Lakers still have no interest in Okafor, and they've got very little interest in helping the Sixers land both Ingram AND Simmons. In fact, I'd argue that there isn't a package that would make the Lakers even consider an offer. They'd have to empty almost all of their assets just to get the Lakers to consider it. I'm talking about something like Okafor, Saric, plus the Lakers' 1st round pick back. Needless to say, the Lakers aren't trading Simmons/Ingram for anything short of an established star. Okafor is NOT a star.

NBA Moses wrote:Many outsiders underestimate Jahlil Okafors future. The kid is super skilled and as he matures and better conditions himself is going to become one of the NBA great players. In 5 years you will be saying what happened to Karl Towns and Okafor will be in the middle of an 8 year span where he is averaging 28 points a game .

I called him a glorified Brook Lopez, and I stand by that. He's a marginal rebounder for a man his size, and he's a terrible rim protector. That's not very valuable in an offensive game that is becoming based more on ball movement, 3 point shooting, and spacing. Okafor is talented, but he's a terrible fit with the Lakers and probably a huge chunk of teams. You can keep your talented big man.
NBA Moses
Pro Prospect

Post#329 » by NBA Moses » Sun May 22, 2016 8:38 pm

crazyeights wrote:Wouldn't the Sixers rather build around Simmons than Okafor?

Offensively, they seems a little redundant in terms of a big who you can run the offense through, except Simmons seems more like a PG in terms of facilitating from the outside.

That gets into discussions of taste/style of offense, but as I've said in previous threads, it seems like the defensive rules favoring guards so much, a ball-handler currently has much greater value than a traditional post-up big, even if that big has the offensive anchor potential Okafor ha(d)/(s).

Good points but "Who To build a Team Around" ? That question doesnt really interest me.

Laker Fans if anyone should know You need a collection of great players to build a dynasty and win Championships. So sign me up for Okafor and Simmons and Embiid for heading in that direction.

Okafor is already unstoppable on the offensive end. He has the best footwork of any big man in the past decade or 2. Great hands and deft touch around the rim.

You thought Okafor was upset that he wasnt drafted by LA last year . In actuality it was Minnesota he was ticked at. he showed that in the 2 games he played Karl Towns. Okafor absolutely destroyed Karl Towns and made his point. He had like 20 points in the first quarter vs the Wolves at Minny.
NBA Moses
Pro Prospect

Post#330 » by NBA Moses » Sun May 22, 2016 8:51 pm

Karmaloop wrote:
I called him a glorified Brook Lopez, and I stand by that. He's a marginal rebounder for a man his size, and he's a terrible rim protector. That's not very valuable in an offensive game that is becoming based more on ball movement, 3 point shooting, and spacing. Okafor is talented, but he's a terrible fit with the Lakers and probably a huge chunk of teams. You can keep your talented big man.

From afar I could see an outsiders view of Okafor being less than enthralling

However to see Okafor up close you saw a kid who capitulated to his older(not necessarily better) teammates. A young kid feeling his way around trying not to step on any toes. But you also saw a highly skilled offensive low post machine. At 20 years old making 25-30 year old defenders look foolish. When you project forward at what Okafors talent might become , quite frankly its scary.

Like I said I might give a hint of interest in the #2 for Okafor but only because the Sixers are overstocked at the 4-5 position.

If Im the Lakers GM. If the Sixers offered me Okafor for the #2 pick. I wouldnt let him off the phone. Id fire the fax up immediately and get Colangelos signature on that deal.
Wavy Q
RealGM
And1: 2,390

Post#331 » by Wavy Q » Sun May 22, 2016 9:00 pm

Agnostifarian wrote:I think Okafor & LAL 2017 pick ends up going to LAL for #2 as part of a three team deal including SAC. Cousins goes to LAL for Okafor & Russell. PHI has lottery assets from LAL & SAC in 2017. A deal easily falls into place. PHI picks Simmons & Ingram.

LAL signs builds around rejuvenated Cousins. Cap to sign Derozan/Conley/Batum... maybe Durant?

I can see PHI/BOS talking about a Noel/Saric for #3 & filler BOS assets... Noel/Saric fit BOS in many ways.

PHI/BOS/LAL are resurrected as the Holy Trinity of NBA basketball over the next decade -- as it should be.

Peace out.

I will personally fly to your residence and allow you to punch me in the face as hard as possible if anything remotely like this happens
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,231

Post#332 » by crazyeights » Sun May 22, 2016 9:00 pm

NBA Moses wrote:
crazyeights wrote:Wouldn't the Sixers rather build around Simmons than Okafor?

Good points but "Who To build a Team Around" ? That question doesnt really interest me.

Laker Fans if anyone should know You need a collection of great players to build a dynasty and win Championships. So sign me up for Okafor and Simmons and Embiid for heading in that direction.

Okafor is already unstoppable on the offensive end. He has the best footwork of any big man in the past decade or 2. Great hands and deft touch around the rim.

You thought Okafor was upset that he wasnt drafted by LA last year . In actuality it was Minnesota he was ticked at. he showed that in the 2 games he played Karl Towns. Okafor absolutely destroyed Karl Towns and made his point. He had like 20 points in the first quarter vs the Wolves at Minny.

Absolutely you need great players to win a championship, but to argue that fit isn't important, especially for young players, then you might be in for a rude awakening. The 2000s Lakers had so many great role-players surrounding two hugely dominant and (on-court-wise) great fitting players in Shaq and Kobe.

The 2010s Laker run had such versatility with maybe my favorite bigs duo with Pau and Lamar (who really made us special).

I'm not saying it's impossible to build around Simmons and Okafor, but I do think they are such specific talents that you do need to cater to someone. Even Jerry Colangelo said it when he said you surround Simmons with shooters. Okafor simply seems to be left out of that equation.

And that's just offensively. Defensively, while Okafor offers so much on the other side potentially, he's just so slow. He was an average rebounder in college, and I really question the ability to build a winner with him unless you surround with with very specific personnel. Now I have no idea what to expect from Embiid, but I don't see how you could have Okafor be a PF in today's game. I'd much rather build around Simmons and Embiid (if he's going to be healthy going forward).

Man, we're not even mentioning Saric or Noel. You guys have so many bigs to develop. Curious to see what Jerry and Bryan do.
Phila Tough
Head Coach
And1: 2,854

Post#333 » by Phila Tough » Sun May 22, 2016 9:12 pm

Yes. Lets write him off after his rookie season. Rookies rarely get better after those.
jigga_man
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,098

Post#334 » by jigga_man » Sun May 22, 2016 9:14 pm

NBA Moses wrote:
Karmaloop wrote:
No, just no. Honestly, at this point I think the whole DMC-to-Los Angeles train has left the station unless they're willing to take a Clarkson/Randle package which they shouldn't, nor would they.

Any team would be better off with Okafor over Cousins.When you throw salaries into the equation it becomes that much more obvious.

Okafor will have a better nba career than Brandon Ingram . As a Sixer fan I would consider a trade of #2 pick for Okafor based on the Sixers absolute glut of Bigs.

Many outsiders underestimate Jahlil Okafors future. The kid is super skilled and as he matures and better conditions himself is going to become one of the NBA great players. In 5 years you will be saying what happened to Karl Towns and Okafor will be in the middle of an 8 year span where he is averaging 28 points a game .

I know home fans tend to overrate their assets but yeesh. It's the equivalent of dealing with Stockholm Syndrome while suffering through a 10 win NBA season.

or passing, or his mid range game, or help defense, or defense period.

Calling Okafor a poor mans Al Jefferson without the rebounding would be generous. Al ended up on the 3rd all NBA team so that's a compliment.
Phila Tough
Head Coach

Post#335 » by Phila Tough » Sun May 22, 2016 9:15 pm

TyCobb wrote:
NBA Moses wrote:

Okafor is Future Beast.

Ay, I had Okafor #1 on my board (Even though I said Towns best two way -player), because I think his offense can be that good and efficient as a main option, but if we're laughing 3-4 years from now about Okafor it's because he got the hell away from Philly.

Yup. Philly is just a horrible city that nobody wants to play in. Whatever helps you sleep at night.

Its one thing to have an opinion, but its another thing to just say things out of spite and salt.
Phila Tough
Head Coach

Post#336 » by Phila Tough » Sun May 22, 2016 9:17 pm

jigga_man wrote:
NBA Moses wrote:
Karmaloop wrote:

I know home fans tend to overrate their assets but yeesh. It's the equivalent of dealing with Stockholm Syndrome while suffering through a 10 win NBA season.

Calling Okafor a poor mans Al Jefferson would be generous. Al ended up on the 3rd all NBA team so that's a compliment.

Huh? His passing & mid-range game were actually pleasant surprises this season. You obviously didn't watch him this season. Anybody who speaks of any rookie as a finished product cant be taken seriously.
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#337 » by TyCobb » Sun May 22, 2016 9:29 pm

Phila Tough wrote:
TyCobb wrote:
NBA Moses wrote:

Okafor is Future Beast.

Yup. Philly is just a horrible city that nobody wants to play in. Whatever helps you sleep at night.

Its one thing to have an opinion, but its another thing to just say things out of spite and salt.

Talking about fit playing with 2 other centers. Organizationally you are headed in the right direction with Hinkie gone.

I understand the insecurities, but you read too much into the original post.
jigga_man
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,098

Post#338 » by jigga_man » Sun May 22, 2016 9:29 pm

Phila Tough wrote:
jigga_man wrote:
NBA Moses wrote:

Calling Okafor a poor mans Al Jefferson would be generous. Al ended up on the 3rd all NBA team so that's a compliment.

Huh? His passing & mid-range game were actually pleasant surprises this season. You obviously didn't watch him this season. Anybody who speaks of any rookie as a finished product cant be taken seriously.

Apparently you didn't either.
http://vorped.com/1-nba/2015-2016/player/6643/jahlil-okafor/shotchart/

But I'm sure GM's all over the league are ringing Colangelo's phone off the hook for the 20 year old rich mans Demarcus Cousins & future 28ppg scoring Center.
Karmaloop
General Manager
And1: 1,478

Post#339 » by Karmaloop » Sun May 22, 2016 9:32 pm

NBA Moses wrote:However to see Okafor up close you saw a kid who capitulated to his older(not necessarily better) teammates. A young kid feeling his way around trying not to step on any toes. But you also saw a highly skilled offensive low post machine. At 20 years old making 25-30 year old defenders look foolish. When you project forward at what Okafors talent might become , quite frankly its scary.

LIS, nobody is denying what Okafor can do. In terms of offensive polish, he was one of the better big men in the game when he stepped into the NBA. The problem is what he can't do, or at least not very well. He's a piss poor rebounder for being 7 feet tall, and he's a terrible defender. Both are TERRIBLE fits in today's NBA. This isn't even arguable. He's a good player, but a poor fit in today's NBA. You can have Okafor, I don't want him and I'd venture to guess that the Lakers in real life don't want him either.

NBA Moses wrote:Like I said I might give a hint of interest in the #2 for Okafor but only because the Sixers are overstocked at the 4-5 position.

Congrats, again Lakers do NOT want Okafor. They had a chance to take him last year, and they passed. He's done absolutely NOTHING to change that fact. He's a terrible fit in the NBA, he's a terrible fit for what Luke wants to do offensively, and he's a terrible fit next to Randle.

NBA Moses wrote:If Im the Lakers GM. If the Sixers offered me Okafor for the #2 pick. I wouldnt let him off the phone. Id fire the fax up immediately and get Colangelos signature on that deal.

Good thing you're not the Lakers GM, although your homerism is shining brightly right now I might add. Let's put it this way, there's not a snowball's chance in hell the Lakers trade #2 for Okafor. You can sig quote that if you must.
AcecardZ
Lead Assistant
And1: 541

Post#340 » by AcecardZ » Sun May 22, 2016 11:05 pm

NBA Moses wrote:

This was my favorite part. ^ Okafor will definitely have a better career than Ingram but he's willing to trade Okafor for Ingram anyway.

I love definitives.... :banghead:
Sometimes being wrong is awesome!!! :D

Return to Los Angeles Lakers