ImageImageImageImageImage

Hey look... Russell's sweaty again. (Off season workout thread)

Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,804

Re: Hey look... Russell's sweaty again. (Off season workout thread) 

Post#181 » by TyCobb » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:06 pm

Zubac is extremely well-coordinated for a big, strong, young kid like that. He's gonna be a beast. He has the fundamentals and size, just needs the reps.
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#182 » by Kilroy » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:14 pm

TyCobb wrote:Zubac is extremely well-coordinated for a big, strong, young kid like that. He's gonna be a beast. He has the fundamentals and size, just needs the reps.

The similarities to our drafting of Marc Gasol are striking, but I feel like Zubac's ahead of him at this stage.

Not sure who to compare him to from a career tragectory standpoint... Marc? Bogut? JOneal?
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,231

Post#183 » by crazyeights » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:15 pm

TyCobb wrote:Zubac is extremely well-coordinated for a big, strong, young kid like that. He's gonna be a beast. He has the fundamentals and size, just needs the reps.

With a lot of bigs you can tell someone shoved a basketball in their hands at a certain age. With Zubac you can tell he's a baller.

The fact that he gave up guaranteed money because he wanted to go to the states, then gave up guaranteed money by telling teams he didn't want to be stashed just goes to show he's confident in what he can do.

Confidence and a natural draw to the game, two huge pluses for a young big.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#184 » by Kilroy » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:21 pm

I could get really excited about a Russell, Clarkson, Ingram, Randle, Zubac starting lineup in a couple years... If these guys believe in it, that could be a massive pain in the ass for the rest of the league.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#185 » by TyCobb » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:45 pm

crazyeights wrote:

With a lot of bigs you can tell someone shoved a basketball in their hands at a certain age. With Zubac you can tell he's a baller.

The fact that he gave up guaranteed money because he wanted to go to the states, then gave up guaranteed money by telling teams he didn't want to be stashed just goes to show he's confident in what he can do.

Zubac, for me, always goes back to his post draft interview alongside Ingram. It was when Ingram was getting all the attention and every question was directed at him and Zuby was just sitting there confident and quiet. Finally a reporter points this out and shoots him a question and Zuby's response was like 'its okay--he can have all the pressure. Nobody expects anything from me. I will just come in to work.' Or something like thst. Then his summer league composure and performance. Everything I see positive from him now on I always go back to that interview and try to remember his thought process and how he projects his own game.

Its unbelievable this regimes draft success.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,413

Post#186 » by Slava » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:57 pm

TyCobb wrote:
crazyeights wrote:

Zubac, for me, always goes back to his post draft interview alongside Ingram. It was when Ingram was getting all the attention and every question was directed at him and Zuby was just sitting there confident and quiet. Finally a reporter points this out and shoots him a question and Zuby's response was like 'its okay--he can have all the pressure. Nobody expects anything from me. I will just come in to work.' Or something like thst. Then his summer league composure and performance. Everything I see positive from him now on I always go back to that interview and try to remember his thought process and how he projects his own game.

Randle ahead of Lavine still stings.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#187 » by TyCobb » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:08 pm

Better than Stauskas and Vonleh. Lol
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#188 » by crazyeights » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:43 pm

Stealing Clarkson minimized the need for LaVine for me. Personally, I wanted a big in that draft anyway.

Having said that, Julius has a huge year ahead of him. He has a lot to prove. I'm hoping all the work he's been putting in, plus a coaching staff with vision will allow him to play to his strengths and weed out some of his bad habits.
cambomvmt
Sophomore
And1: 16

Post#189 » by cambomvmt » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:55 pm

Slava wrote:
TyCobb wrote:
crazyeights wrote:

Randle ahead of Lavine still stings.

even if Randle proves himself to be a more efficient double/double guy this year? I see a lot of people calling for Gordon to be some sort of star and he hasn't even done much outside of highlight dunks, how come most don't give Randle that possibility?
jay51024
Pro Prospect
And1: 643

Post#190 » by jay51024 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:11 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
iamworthy
RealGM
And1: 8,909

Post#191 » by iamworthy » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:45 am

Read on Twitter

Everybody in the weight room.
Crooked-I
General Manager
And1: 2,686

Post#192 » by Crooked-I » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:13 am

jay51024 wrote:
Read on Twitter

It looks like the young guys are playing together before training camp. Good to see, build that chemistry.
LAKER FAN FOR LIFE

RIP Kobe and Gigi
Mirjalovic
Head Coach
And1: 1,780

Post#193 » by Mirjalovic » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:54 am

Randle is better than Lavine ever will be. Clarkson is probably the better player than LaVine.

a PF with rare mixture of power and finesse and has top 5 best handle for PF in the L and beast rebounder too. I'll take that over generic scoring sg/pg who can jump. Let me have Clarkson or even Shannon Brown.
shawn_hemp wrote: a guy who is far worse than Robert Covington in Brandon Ingram, and a guy who is no better than TJ McConnell or Tony Wroten in D'Angelo Russell.

Sixers fans...

chefy12
Junior
And1: 78

Post#194 » by chefy12 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:09 pm

not sure why everyone is so high on lavigne
warrenpeace
Junior
And1: 75

Post#195 » by warrenpeace » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:54 am

Mirjalovic wrote:Randle is better than Lavine ever will be. Clarkson is probably the better player than LaVine.

a PF with rare mixture of power and finesse and has top 5 best handle for PF in the L and beast rebounder too. I'll take that over generic scoring sg/pg who can jump. Let me have Clarkson or even Shannon Brown.
I would take Lavine over Clarkson or Randle.
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#196 » by crazyeights » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:52 am

warrenpeace wrote:
Mirjalovic wrote:Randle is better than Lavine ever will be. Clarkson is probably the better player than LaVine.

I would take Lavine over Clarkson or Randle.

The real question is would you take him over both.

The fact is and will become more apparent is we got incredible value with these picks the last 3 drafts.
jay51024
Pro Prospect
And1: 643

Post#197 » by jay51024 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:12 pm

Read on Twitter
lake_show
Sixth Man
And1: 476

Post#198 » by lake_show » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:10 am

I'm a huge fan of Lavine... but he's not a better all around player than Randle. Heck, I'm not even sure he's better than Clarkson. Clarkson can play either the 1 or the 2. I love Lavine's game but his issue is he's not really a 1 or a 2. He's somewhere in between. Not sure how that will play out long term.

And, as for him being better than both... I mean, c'mon Lol
Talking about how bad Julius Randle is:
DEEP3CL wrote:... When dudes know ball we're just going to call out what we see period.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,465

Post#199 » by dockingsched » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:47 am

lake_show wrote:I'm a huge fan of Lavine... but he's not a better all around player than Randle. Heck, I'm not even sure he's better than Clarkson. Clarkson can play either the 1 or the 2. I love Lavine's game but his issue is he's not really a 1 or a 2. He's somewhere in between. Not sure how that will play out long term.

the way you mention Clarkson makes it seem you think he's worse than Randle. Randle, ignoring his potential and likelihood to improve, was pretty damn terrible at everything last year except rebounding. He has a ways to go to even get to the Lavine / Clarkson level, not that he can't.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
lake_show
Sixth Man
And1: 476

Post#200 » by lake_show » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:03 pm

dockingsched wrote:
lake_show wrote:I'm a huge fan of Lavine... but he's not a better all around player than Randle. Heck, I'm not even sure he's better than Clarkson. Clarkson can play either the 1 or the 2. I love Lavine's game but his issue is he's not really a 1 or a 2. He's somewhere in between. Not sure how that will play out long term.

the way you mention Clarkson makes it seem you think he's worse than Randle. Randle, ignoring his potential and likelihood to improve, was pretty damn terrible at everything last year except rebounding. He has a ways to go to even get to the Lavine / Clarkson level, not that he can't.

I honestly think Randle is the best player out of those 3. And... Personally, I think it makes absolutely no sense to rate a player while "ignoring his potential and likelihood to improve". When people do that they're essentially talking about a completley different/hypothetical player, and using that made up player for the sake of making a point.

All these guys are who they are, and at this point, even though he's not my favorite player of the three, he's definitely the better player. At least, I personally see it that way.
Talking about how bad Julius Randle is:
DEEP3CL wrote:... When dudes know ball we're just going to call out what we see period.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers