Jesse Buss interview

Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

gts1
Starter
And1: 1,232

Jesse Buss interview 

Post#1 » by gts1 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:30 pm

Some highlights...

Buss sat down with us ahead of Thursday’s NBA Draft to discuss his expanded role in personnel decisions under Mitch Kupchak and Jim Buss, check in on the progress of the young players he helped L.A. draft over the past few seasons and discuss the areas of focus with picks No. 2 and 32 looming.

MT: Everybody around the team says that Julius really and truly works his butt off … a lot of players work hard, but how do you really know that some guys work more than others?

Buss: In the case of Julius, he comes into the practice facility every day, and I can see him right (out of my office window). He literally doesn’t take off days. A lot of times he’ll come in here twice a day to work with our assistant coaches on the court and our trainers and strength coach off the court. He’s already made strides from last season. Watching him shoot this summer, the form looks more fluid, natural and crisp. He’s getting used to shooting with one motion. I’m excited to see all the work he’s put in translating to the court next year. The work he’s doing now is going to pay dividends. And I think it says something for a player to come in here in our gym, because they’re comfortable having eyes on them as they’re working on weaknesses and adding to strengths. It shows a level of dedication to the franchise, too.

MT: How about Jordan Clarkson? What have you seen from the No. 46 pick that made the All-Rookie First Team and then backed it up with a consistent second season?

Buss: He only had about half a season in his rookie year, and while he showed some things, it was good to see him have similar production in his second year. He was probably our most consistent young player last year, and he continued to show good things. He can score from anywhere on the floor. His perimeter shooting has improved from Missouri (28.1 percent from three as a junior) to his first season with us (31.4 percent) and his second (34.7 percent). He’s always going to be a guy that can attack the hoop by beating guys off the dribble. He also comes in and works every day. I’ve always been told that defense is an effort thing, and he acknowledged that he focused more on the offensive end. But he has defensive tools with an ability to stay in front of guys and great lateral quickness. Luke should help there too with a new energy and getting guys to commit to that end even more. The scheme should benefit our guys tremendously.

MT: The Lakers are about to pick second for the second straight season; what did you make of D’Angelo Russell’s rookie year?

Buss: He started off rough with the summer league as he adjusted to the pace of the game, and things went the same to start the season. At around the midway point, however, he got comfortable with the pace and the physicality, and really showed an ability to score at this level. He really began to understand passing angles and figured out the speed of the game as he grew comfortable with his role. He showed a lot of the things that were reasons why we took him at No. 2, and I’m very excited for his future. I definitely think he can be an All-Star. I don’t like to restrict him to one position, because he can play at the point and at the two, but I do believe his versatility offensively is unique. Not many guards can both score and run the show at a high level, and as he keeps developing, he can be a real force. He showed an ability to get into the paint, get to the rim and even post up as the season progressed, and he shot the three throughout the season (35.1 percent). He has tools to really have the complete package. What separates a lot of players is the ability to do it on both ends, and he’ll continue to develop defensively as well.

more here about Luke, Nance and such....
http://www.nba.com/lakers/news/160621_jesseBuss
Wife: "you haven't heard a single thing I said"
Me: that's a funny way to start a conversation...
Jakay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,904

Re: Jesse Buss interview 

Post#2 » by Jakay » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:24 pm

Well, he's certainly well spoken and sounds like he has a good head on his shoulders. And to be honest, it's hard to argue with any of the picks from the last few years, especially given that they weren't always the popular choice.
PKABOOICU
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,128

Post#3 » by PKABOOICU » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:32 pm

give the team to him already
Showtime:Part2
General Manager
And1: 489

Post#4 » by Showtime:Part2 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:58 pm

biggest takeaway: "He’s always going to be a guy that can attack the hoop by beating guys off"
Warspite:

Prince + filler for Kobe Bryant
To be honest the way Prince has played and with Kobes injury/age/mileage Im not sure I would do that deal either. Still Prince is more important and he wins the head to head battles with Kobe.
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,231

Post#5 » by crazyeights » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:51 pm

Great to hear about Randle busting his ass. He could be a real x-factor for us next season once he gets a consistent jumpshot.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers